NIL issues

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Again, the top 4 or 5 is it. And UGA lost last year.
The rest of the SEC doesn't scare the rest of the country.
Georgia lost to Alabama for the first time in nearly 3 years. Alabama lost in the Saban days too.

I dont care if the SEC scares the rest of the country or not. year in and year out the top 5 teams in the SEC are stronger than any other leagues top 5.

and the middle tier typically is as well. Again this year 4 of the teams that have lost to other P4 schools are bottom tier teams....and usually in years past.. those teams are punching up to play higher tier teams in other conferences.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
I keep hearing that. What's the result in NIL? My daughters are looking at LSU, Ole Miss, Arky and Texas A&M for med school. That's gonna matter especially if I'm the only State grad in the family.
Not sure on the NIL stuff but State and Alabama are both top premed schools. Our BioChem and BioMed Engineering are top shelf. BioMed E has close to a 100% rate.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
I supported my kids high school team because of what division they were in. I'd yell "Division II, District 3A" whenever they beat some 4A team. Then when they switched to Division 4A, my chant changed. I really don't get the SEC loyalty, although we do get cash from the league. We're the team everyone else looks to as a possible win. I'd rather just win and not care what conference we belong to.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Georgia lost to Alabama for the first time in nearly 3 years. Alabama lost in the Saban days too.

I dont care if the SEC scares the rest of the country or not. year in and year out the top 5 teams in the SEC are stronger than any other leagues top 5.

and the middle tier typically is as well. Again this year 4 of the teams that have lost to other P4 schools are bottom tier teams....and usually in years past.. those teams are punching up to play higher tier teams in other conferences.
It's top heavy in a big way. If Florida takes off & LSU gets it going that changes. AU isn't good. KY, SC, State, Vandy, AR, and even OK isn't great.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Not sure on the NIL stuff but State and Alabama are both top premed schools. Our BioChem and BioMed Engineering are top shelf. BioMed E has close to a 100% rate.
"We have majors" But are they giving as much to State as others. BTW, I want everyone to know that I can bench 500 pounds. Really I can. I said it here so it must be true. Again, where are the actual numbers and if we're offering as much we need to find out why our recruiting isn't paying dividends.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Nope, not exaggerating even a little. This is our two deep from the Egg Bowl. Our only two returning starters from that game are kickers. We have guys starting that were on the two deep last year or maybe got a spot start here and there, but literally no major contributors returned for us.

The portal is there to supplement your needs… but you gotta have some returning guys already established too. We had to bring in an absurd amount of transfers to put in our two deep because this staff had nothing to work with when they got here.
Well, we all know we had a bunch of 6th year guys in 2023, so stands to reason we'd be replacing a lot. But the guys behind them are also a year older. And plus, I count Percy Lewis, Albert Reese, Steven Losoya, Justin Robinson, Will Rogers, Woody Marks, Zavion Thomas, Jaden Walley, Deonte Anderson, Demonte Russell, Donterry Russell, JP Purvis, Corey Ellington, Hunter Washington and Decarlos Nicholson who at minimum, got a ton of PT in 2023. Yeah a bunch hit the portal, but that's the job of an incoming coach to either keep them or replace them.

And again, you always replace starters. Nobody expected Lebby to make the playoff or really even a bowl. But we expected him not to be terrible.

msugolf

Dec 29, 2008
I’ll argue that the people that throw their money away are the dumbasses. .
Throwing your money away is completely subjective. Do you mind posting your bank and credit card statements on here so that I may give my opinion on your careless spending?

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
dont need a niche offense. Need a QB or be able to develop them. Thats how UT and Ole Miss have made their moves. Both their coaches are excellent with QB's and developing them. Get a QB, then skill positions will come.

Supposedly Lebby can do the same. We'll see.
Nowadays you don't know how long you're going to keep a singular QB. At best, 3 years. Also, UT and OM have significantly more NIL than we do, we shouldn't be trying to do things their way.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
It's top heavy in a big way. If Florida takes off & LSU gets it going that changes. AU isn't good. KY, SC, State, Vandy, AR, and even OK isn't great.
Mizzou, Oklahoma, Texas AM, LSU are all quality programs filling out the 6-9 spots. Those 6-9 spots are better than any other leagues 6-9 spots.

Georgia, Texas, Tennessee, Ole Miss, Alabama-- you wont find a better 1-5 spots anywhere else in the country

The top is better than the top, the middle is better than others middles. There is really 0 comparsions in any other conference anywhere.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Nowadays you don't know how long you're going to keep a singular QB. At best, 3 years. Also, UT and OM have significantly more NIL than we do, we shouldn't be trying to do things their way.
Your right but it doesnt matter how long you keep him, if you can find or develop the next one....

Tennessee has made it work with 3 different Qb's. When the got one that was "up" as you say it, they were elite, when he wasnt up. They were OK.

Ole Miss didnt have the NIL Until they got a coach and a QB. Their model is exactly what I'd try to copy.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
Same. I’m not giving anything to NIL. It’s like asking me to donate to my favorite musician so he can buy new guitars. It’s entertainment for me. I’m going to watch and comment as long as it entertains me. When it doesn’t, I won’t watch. Give up two Starbucks trips or whatever else I do? No. I like that too, so no. Get ready for 2-10 seasons? So be it. I’ll be entertained elsewhere. It’s just not even close to that important to me.
This is not only you, but for several in this thread who seem to be bragging that they are not contributing... What I don't understand is why post that on a State message board? Is there some bit of pleasure derived from NOT donating to the cause? Who is that meant to impress? It seems easier to stay out of the NIL discussions, unless you are actively trying to persuade others to be as negative as you are on it. Trying to convince State fans not to donate seems overtly counterproductive. I'd rather y'all get aliases on the OM Spirit board and try to convince some of them not to participate if you feel the need to share how much you dislike NIL.

You aren't going to convince me to give up on my alma mater, any more than I'm going to convince you to donate $10/month to try to help. So why not let those of us who still believe there are ways to be competitive discuss how to make that happen? Wouldn't you rather see State successful than not, even if you're not a part of it?

I'm not mad if this comes across that way, just really don't understand posting it. Maybe you were still mad about the game. That I do get.

MaxwellSmart

May 28, 2007
I used to say I prefer college sports because I felt more connected to the team.

Sure, the NFL is entertaining, but that is what it is: pure entertainment consumption.

I felt more a part of my school’s team. Yes, it was entertainment, but it was also an association. I didn’t just consume my team’s games, I was a part of the team.

College sports has become this weird thing that isn’t amateur and isn’t professional. I still prefer college sports (and give to NIL), but I’m starting to gravitate more towards pro sports, which I wouldn’t have believed would ever happen just five years ago.
I'm about the same way only instead of gravitating towards the NFL, I'm gravitating more away from football altogether. I still enjoy the game and will watch if it's convenient but there are way more things I can spend my time and money on come Saturdays in the fall.

Reactions: shep9332 and patdog

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
I'm about the same way only instead of gravitating towards the NFL, I'm gravitating more away from football altogether. I still enjoy the game and will watch if it's convenient but there are way more things I can spend my time and money on come Saturdays in the fall.
I’m genuinely interested. What would you do on a Saturday in the fall? I would be bored.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
This is not only you, but for several in this thread who seem to be bragging that they are not contributing... What I don't understand is why post that on a State message board? Is there some bit of pleasure derived from NOT donating to the cause? Who is that meant to impress? It seems easier to stay out of the NIL discussions, unless you are actively trying to persuade others to be as negative as you are on it. Trying to convince State fans not to donate seems overtly counterproductive. I'd rather y'all get aliases on the OM Spirit board and try to convince some of them not to participate if you feel the need to share how much you dislike NIL.

You aren't going to convince me to give up on my alma mater, any more than I'm going to convince you to donate $10/month to try to help. So why not let those of us who still believe there are ways to be competitive discuss how to make that happen? Wouldn't you rather see State successful than not, even if you're not a part of it?

I'm not mad if this comes across that way, just really don't understand posting it. Maybe you were still mad about the game. That I do get.
I suspect the people who give the most to NIL aren't on a free message board.

Reactions: MSUDOG24

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
I always think I'm headed in that direction in about July. "This year I won't care so much." Oftentimes another wave comes after a disappointing loss. We are down right now, it sucks but it's a fact of life. We're still trying to swim out of the whirlpool that came after Leach's passing. It's easy to give up and want to just stop caring just so you won't get your heart broken again.

I can be fully headed down that road, but then I see a video that gives me chills. Or I hear the intro music on TV and see the crowd pumping. Or better yet like last week, I hung out with old friends at the tailgate and took that first step into Davis Wade to feel the crowd and hear the bells... and I'm right back, baby. I'm in love again. Heartbreak be damned.

It may take a while, but I would bet once we recover... once we look good in a game, or for sure when we start to win again, you'll be back. I totally get protecting yourself from disappointment. But Mississippi State football is like an STD - the symptoms may go dormant for a while, but it never really leaves the body.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
I suspect the people who give the most to NIL aren't on a free message board.
Interesting take. I on the other hand suspect some people who give a pretty fair amount have been connected to this board and its predecessors for well over a decade, understand how it works here, don't see the need for any other board, and wouldn't know how to get to another board even if they did.

But hey we're all just guessing here anyway.

MaxwellSmart

May 28, 2007
I’m genuinely interested. What would you do on a Saturday in the fall? I would be bored.
Honestly I can hunt, fish, play golf and be a lot more comfortable than at a ball game watching players that I never heard of while the players I thought would be there are now playing for someone else. Like I said if it's convenient and I'm grilling out on the patio, our game or one more competitive will be on the TV but if somebody wants to go do something else, I'll probably leave and just check the score later.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Honestly I can hunt, fish, play golf and be a lot more comfortable than at a ball game watching players that I never heard of while the players I thought would be there are now playing for someone else. Like I said if it's convenient and I'm grilling out on the patio, our game or one more competitive will be on the TV but if somebody wants to go do something else, I'll probably leave and just check the score later.
Gotcha. I hate all 3 of those things so I would be in a bind.

MaxwellSmart

May 28, 2007
I always think I'm headed in that direction in about July. "This year I won't care so much." Oftentimes another wave comes after a disappointing loss. We are down right now, it sucks but it's a fact of life. We're still trying to swim out of the whirlpool that came after Leach's passing. It's easy to give up and want to just stop caring just so you won't get your heart broken again.

I can be fully headed down that road, but then I see a video that gives me chills. Or I hear the intro music on TV and see the crowd pumping. Or better yet like last week, I hung out with old friends at the tailgate and took that first step into Davis Wade to feel the crowd and hear the bells... and I'm right back, baby. I'm in love again. Heartbreak be damned.

It may take a while, but I would bet once we recover... once we look good in a game, or for sure when we start to win again, you'll be back. I totally get protecting yourself from disappointment. But Mississippi State football is like an STD - the symptoms may go dormant for a while, but it never really leaves the body.
So you're saying I'm here because of an STD?

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021

On the other hand, is it wrong to provide “tough love” to a family member during an intervention?

There are those who are communicating discontent with the general direction of things. For some reason, if one openly communicates they are not giving due to disappointment, the “not-an-MSU-fan” shaming begins.

I don’t have a dog in the hunt, but, as a consumer, I don’t prefer to throw good money after bad.

The Usual Suspect

Sep 1, 2011
Here’s the problem with the NIL.

Giving money to the NIL is like voluntarily paying taxes.

Take what you earn and give it to “someone” who knows “best” what to do with it.

I’m going to be honest, I’ve never met anyone who knows what to do with my money better than me. I just can’t care that much about MSU football.

All of you NIL’ers carry on. I’m glad that you “give” and hope the future ROI is massive.
My problem with NIL is not knowing anything about ours. I don’t know how much we have, what we spend, or how much more needed, other than more is better.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login