NIL Question regarding Injuries, etc

Aug 22, 2012
Building on the “Shapen out for the year” thread and speculation about his NIL deal, can someone who actually knows how this stuff works explain how a situation like this works.

Say we raise a bunch of money to pay some stud player who comes in and gets injured early in the season, do they still get all the money. Are there certain clauses involved with NIL deals? I laugh even calling them NIL anymore since it’s really just a salary and not what The NIL lawsuit was even about.

I had a few questions regarding the new NIL initiative, the bulldog club fundraising, etc for the nice donor rep who came around Jackson and meeting donors this past week, but didn’t think to ask about this.

It was nice to finally hear from anybody in this administration after it being radio silence over the past year with the only communication being that they were kicking me out of my parking spot this year and leaving me with the scrap selections. Apparently everyone I’ve ever dealt with in the past is gone. Not exactly laying a strong foundation to raise money so far.

Reactions: patdog

Dawghouse

Sep 14, 2011
My understanding is nil cannot be tied to performance but I'm sure there are "ways" to structure the contract. I would bet he's getting all his money and honestly he should, it's not like he's quitting, he's injured.

Reactions: Bulldog45

WGWFA

Oct 12, 2021
This is why athletes should become employees of the school; it would allow the players to receive benefits as any other state employee does. The way it is now “no play, no pay” makes more sense especially if nil is 100% private money.
If I get blasted for this, my apologies as I don’t fully understand the rules of nil. Just my thoughts on how i THINK it works.

Aug 22, 2012
My understanding is nil cannot be tied to performance but I'm sure there are "ways" to structure the contract. I would bet he's getting all his money and honestly he should, it's not like he's quitting, he's injured.
Yeah, definitely wasn’t saying he shouldn’t but with revenue sharing coming at what point are they contracted employees who can/should have performance bonuses or minimum thresholds to meet. Just wondering since I’m one of those folks skeptical of giving money to NIL.

Like I told the BDC rep, every time they want to build something or upgrade facilities they ask us to pay for it. Then the BDC is supposed to be for “scholarships” for athletes and we pay for that. Now they want us to pay for the talent with NIL.

Told them I’m fine giving money to the school for athletics , but I’m not paying for both and what do I get for my “investment”. BDC gives points and priority for future seating/tickets. What does NIL give?

patdog

May 28, 2007
Yeah. You start not paying players who get injured & you’re not gonna be signing any more good players.

Walkthedawg

Oct 3, 2022
Yeah. You start not paying players who get injured & you’re not gonna be signing any more good players.
Bingo. I don’t see why it’s so much of a deal… especially since every other team is playing the same game. The Bulldog Club and ticket prices are the same if the team wins 2 games or 10 games as well. We demanding the ticket prices be cheaper next year?

Again. We can get on board or lose. Two choices. Two choices only.

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
Building on the “Shapen out for the year” thread and speculation about his NIL deal, can someone who actually knows how this stuff works explain how a situation like this works.

Say we raise a bunch of money to pay some stud player who comes in and gets injured early in the season, do they still get all the money. Are there certain clauses involved with NIL deals? I laugh even calling them NIL anymore since it’s really just a salary and not what The NIL lawsuit was even about.

I had a few questions regarding the new NIL initiative, the bulldog club fundraising, etc for the nice donor rep who came around Jackson and meeting donors this past week, but didn’t think to ask about this.

It was nice to finally hear from anybody in this administration after it being radio silence over the past year with the only communication being that they were kicking me out of my parking spot this year and leaving me with the scrap selections. Apparently everyone I’ve ever dealt with in the past is gone. Not exactly laying a strong foundation to raise money so far.
Shhhhh!!!! Don’t say this out loud I got cussed out for having a similar opinion a few days back. You can not say anything negative about the BI or you do not support the team.

msstatelp1

Aug 21, 2012
Bingo. I don’t see why it’s so much of a deal… especially since every other team is playing the same game. The Bulldog Club and ticket prices are the same if the team wins 2 games or 10 games as well. We demanding the ticket prices be cheaper next year?

Again. We can get on board or lose. Two choices. Two choices only.
Get on board is exactly what the Ole Miss faithful have done and it's paid off big time for them. Think about where they were under Matt Luke and while Kiffin is a good coach, players aren't coming there simply to play for him.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Get on board is exactly what the Ole Miss faithful have done and it's paid off big time for them. Think about where they were under Matt Luke and while Kiffin is a good coach, players aren't coming there simply to play for him.
Exactly. Our biggest rival 90 miles away is literally showing us the road map of what we need to do. And we’re too 17ing stupid to see it.

CharlieWinfield

Feb 15, 2015

There are a number of clauses that can reduce or end compensation (quitting, removal from team, arrest, conduct on social media, etc.). Injuries do not (my personal view is that, in addition to being a problem with the legalities, it would be a death sentence to recruiting efforts), but there are some companies working through Lloyd's who offer the ability to insure larger NIL agreements against injuries, which can offer some help.

To another point somebody made, I don't think we are far away from these things being handled much more institutionally across the whole SEC.

Last edited:

CharlieWinfield

Feb 15, 2015
Shhhhh!!!! Don’t say this out loud I got cussed out for having a similar opinion a few days back. You can not say anything negative about the BI or you do not support the team.
We are all trying to get to the same place, and there are certainly some negative things for us to take into account. My only request would be that you give me a chance to talk with you about in person and maybe I could benefit from the input, and there could be some things I could share in person that I can't really put on an open forum. I'll buy lunch and would even come to you.

Last edited: