Nose Ring

Sep 15, 2009
Our then-19 year old daughter came home from college a couple of years ago with a nose ring. That definitely did not go over well with me, but we decided to downplay it and see if she would come to her senses. After about 6 weeks, she took it out primarily due to hygiene, she said. I think down deep, she knew it was not the look of someone planning a career outside the food service industry.

I understand the “need to be me”, but the 60 year olds are in charge of hiring (I’m one of them) and someone walking in with face adornment is going toward the bottom of the list. Reality. Sorry.
I doubt you are actually doing any hiring in the gig service industry then. I don't have a problem with any of it, but they are hiring anyone actually willing to work. Gone are the days where you can be picky unless you are Ruth's Chris. And I'm with "who cares?"

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I don't personally find any facial piercings attractive but I don't care what you do to yourself. Tattoos are cool, but like every other fad some folks over do it. #IDontCare
I don't really care, but it does seem like a decent number of girls go out of their way to make themselves unattractive, I suspect because they know if they tried they still be relatively average looking and that's their way of pretending they don't care. Like a girl flaunting her arm pit hair. Loading up facial piercings. Stretching out her ear lobes (actually, this is one I care about; grosses me out and I would prefer not to look at it while eating). Etc.

I get that some guys may like piercings, but surely the number of guys that like the pit hair and stretched out earlobes are vanishingly small?

Yeti

Feb 20, 2018
When I see it always at first glance I think it’s snot. Who in the hell wants to look like they are dropping snot? But the one that really cracks me up is the face tattoo. Wtf?

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
First impressions mean everything. I had one interview w/ me about 6 years ago that came in w/ black fingernails, purple streak in her hair, multiple piercings on ears and above the eye, and tattoos visible everywhere. No telling how many there were not visible. Shortest interview I've ever done, took about 10 minutes max. Amazed that she even thought that she would be hired to interact w/ the public and customers.

When I see a nose ring my first thought is "wonder if there's a big ole green booger stuck on the back of that post or earring back? That's not a thought I want when choosing my food knowing she/he will be handling it......

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
"really cant imagine a group of women talking about how I would be cute if I just didn't have some meaningful tats on my legs. Like wt17?" msstategolfer

I have that thought every time I see a tattoo on a nice looking woman, my own daughter included

Reactions: PhredPhantom

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
First impressions mean everything. I had one interview w/ me about 6 years ago that came in w/ black fingernails, purple streak in her hair, multiple piercings on ears and above the eye, and tattoos visible everywhere. No telling how many there were not visible. Shortest interview I've ever done, took about 10 minutes max. Amazed that she even thought that she would be hired to interact w/ the public and customers.

When I see a nose ring my first thought is "wonder if there's a big ole green booger stuck on the back of that post or earring back? That's not a thought I want when choosing my food knowing she/he will be handling it......
Hiring people is at best a crap shoot most of the time. I don’t think most young people realize that the tats and piercings put them at a real disadvantage in the job market. If you interview a half dozen candidates for a job and one of them is pierced in random places it sends up red flags real quick. They don’t make the cut. They may actually be an excellent candidate for the job but their appearance just says hey I might be irresponsible. It’s unfortunate, but that’s just the way it is. Imagine that you have two young men applicants. Both individuals interviewed about the same but one is covered in tats and piercings and the other one is a clean cut guy that looks a lot like Jake Mangum. If it’s my decision ( yes I am old ) the Mangum look alike gets the offer every time. I did t hire them but I have worked with a few people that embraced the tat piercing image and while they were nice folks from a work perspective they were always a disaster. I’m glad that I don’t have to make those decisions anymore.

rockydawg1013

Sep 22, 2014
I guess that I just happen to be one of the few old guys that doesn’t like to have their bone in rib-eye served to them by a woman with snot dripping off of the hog ring in her nose. Sorry. I’m just funny like that.
Nowhere in your post did you mention any of this happening.

Reactions: mstateglfr

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I don't really care, but it does seem like a decent number of girls go out of their way to make themselves unattractive, I suspect because they know if they tried they still be relatively average looking and that's their way of pretending they don't care. Like a girl flaunting her arm pit hair. Loading up facial piercings. Stretching out her ear lobes (actually, this is one I care about; grosses me out and I would prefer not to look at it while eating). Etc.

I get that some guys may like piercings, but surely the number of guys that like the pit hair and stretched out earlobes are vanishingly small?
Haha yeah I draw the line at arm pit hair… I don’t really care for tattoos, although I wouldn’t say they are unattractive, just not my thing. I don’t mind nose rings, although I’m not sure I’d like the bull ring described by the OP.

But arm pit hair…. Damn just odd

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Haha yeah I draw the line at arm pit hair… I don’t really care for tattoos, although I wouldn’t say they are unattractive, just not my thing. I don’t mind nose rings, although I’m not sure I’d like the bull ring described by the OP.

Sometimes tattoos are sexy, but the lack of foresight would be a major redflag to me for anything but a hookup. Have these girls really never seen a hard ridden 40 year old at the beach with faded tattoos? They never think to ask what tattoos look like after 20 years? Or do they know and just think 20 years is too far in the future to worry about?

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010

But how else can she earn respect from the male rafting guides?

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
When I see a nose ring my first thought is "wonder if there's a big ole green booger stuck on the back of that post or earring back?"

Your second thought is "wonder what else is pierced."

Third thought: "What's the size of magnet required to physically move someone & how much damage would it do?"

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I am 100% sure you don’t have to worry about this.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Sometimes tattoos are sexy, but the lack of foresight would be a major redflag to me for anything but a hookup. Have these girls really never seen a hard ridden 40 year old at the beach with faded tattoos? They never think to ask what tattoos look like after 20 years? Or do they know and just think 20 years is too far in the future to worry about?
My better half has a couple. The first one she got 20+ years ago and it looks fine.
If it fades, she could have it touched up. Pretty simple.

Oh, and neither has kept her from earning a doctorate or being at the top of her industry for years now.
Neither is visible when wearing normal office clothes, and that is likely a part of why it's never been an issue.

Polygonal

Sep 29, 2014
I doubt you are actually doing any hiring in the gig service industry then. I don't have a problem with any of it, but they are hiring anyone actually willing to work. Gone are the days where you can be picky unless you are Ruth's Chris. And I'm with "who cares?"
Correct, I’m not hiring in the food service industry. I’m in aerospace and defense hiring engineers and scientists. Good point about the food service folks hiring anyone they can find.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
It’s funny to me what we have accepted as the norm because of tradition. Without knowing about ear rings how weird is it that people poke holes in their ear lobe to put all sorts and sizes of metals and stones in. Same with ties. They originated to keep collars closed around the neck, but now we have buttons why do we need ties any more?

MagnoliaHunter

Jan 23, 2007
Our high school senior trip was to Europe. When in Paris, we snuck out of the hotel and went clubbing. I was dancing with this French girl that was wearing a sleeveless shirt. When she threw up her arm and I saw more underarm hair than my 16 year old self had, I told my buddies it was time to go. They laughed until they saw that their dates all had underarm hair too and our little Mississippi butts were headed to the door like Mr. Ronnie Van Zant in Gimme Three Steps.

MSUGUY

Oct 11, 2020
Let’s try a different subject. Went out for lunch and once again our server had a hog ring stuck through her nose. I don’t know exactly what they call it these days, but it’s a hog ring pure and simple. This just begs for a few questions. Why would any woman think that this is a good look? Why would any woman want to wear anything that associates them with hogs? What happens when they sneeze? And why do restaurants allow food servers to wear these things at work. It’s almost like it is required for restaurant workers now. That’s just disgusting if you ask me. Oh well at least it’s not about education or bad baseball. Carry on.
I know a girl who lost her entire nasal septum to an infected nose ring.
Any thoughts on tongue rings? That’s gotta sting going in!

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
In the late 1990s, we considered females with tattoos and/or who smoked easy targets. I imagine these nose ringed thots give off the same vibe.
Ha naw I don’t think so. I’d imagine a large percentage of women under the age of 40 have a nose ring. I know when I was at state, 2004-2008, seemed like half the girls on campus had a nose ring.

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
Ha naw I don’t think so. I’d imagine a large percentage of women under the age of 40 have a nose ring. I know when I was at state, 2004-2008, seemed like half the girls on campus had a nose ring.
On the contrary, the bull nose ring is an indicator she doesn’t get laid.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
Not knocking anyone's preferences, I can't control that but I'm picturing the folks that are most critical of other folks' appearance as probably working on their 3rd chin and have a gut hanging over their size 40+ belt.
So they look like the women with the bull nose ring?

MaxwellSmart

May 28, 2007
I know I'm old. I can remember when a young girl at the local McDonald's got a small tattoo on her arm and they made her wear a bandaid over it. Still think tats and face jewelry are a total turn off.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
tattoos are fine- I have 3 of them, like them all, and really cant imagine a group of women talking about how I would be cute if I just didnt have some meaningful tats on my legs. Like wt17?
They are so common at this point that I dont even think twice. I like seeing the creative ones where the motivation or meaning isnt obvious. Some really cool stories come from that and it reveals personality that otherwise stays reserved.

I dont find the circular barbell look to be great, but to each their own I guess.
A woman with a small hoop on one side or a small stud though? Im a product of the 90s so sign me up.
Bonus points for those who recognize the 2nd pic. 1 hit wonder.

I have a USMC tattoo on my upper arm. I gave into peer pressure while in the Philippians. Imagine being a Marine that didn't drink alcohol in any form, no tobacco, did not chase women or hookers and did not have a tattoo. So, I went to the PX bought my own needle and headed down to the tattoo shop. It was hard being a Mormon in the Marine Corps. My brothers in Marine Green were always there for me.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login