O.T. Is Natural Grass Becoming a Thing of the Past?

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
I keep seeing historical fields that were once natural and now artifiial. I've always hated artifiial because of the injuries they cause and in baseball I've have always hated seeing balls in the outfield bounce like inflated baloons. Has artificial technology advanced to the point that it is now superior to natural grass? It disturbs me to see people say Scott Field is like concrete since we kick A$$ in agrigulture. I never undestood how The Dancing Rabbit lost their greens that year despite having underground cooling systems combined with STATE right down the road willing to help. Whatch you experts have to say on this?

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I read this first as "Is Natural Gas Becoming a Thing of the Past." I immediately started panicking thinking it may be due to the situation in Europe!

The Fatboy

Oct 18, 2005
I keep seeing historical fields that were once natural and now artifiial. I've always hated artifiial because of the injuries they cause and in baseball I've have always hated seeing balls in the outfield bounce like inflated baloons. Has artificial technology advanced to the point that it is now superior to natural grass? It disturbs me to see people say Scott Field is like concrete since we kick A$$ in agrigulture. I never undestood how The Dancing Rabbit lost their greens that year despite having underground cooling systems combined with STATE right down the road willing to help. Whatch you experts have to say on this?
Who has said Scott Field feels like concrete? Curious because you mention it like its well known or something

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Yes, everyone is on the fake grass kick. Funny thing is I think the SEC is still one of the last groups holding on to the real grass fields.

I predict that the concussions/other injuries associated more with fake grass will either force football as a whole to modify fake fields or put more effort into turf grasses and fields Probably won't happen in my lifetime but it's kind of like the changes we've seen in stadiums built around the country I think that the turf they play on is gonna have a major changes.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
Interesting take. Here's another from the 2002 MSU archives:

'Grass of champions' search led MSU scientists to many lots, plots​

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
Sports talk I have been listening to lately has totally been on a natural grass kick especially in the NFL. These newer turfs are better than the 1990s but still more injuries. Soccer leagues around the world have all gone to natural grass fields because the players refuse to play on turf. In the Premier league they have some sort of hybrid fields that are 95% natural with some artificial fibers woven into the system to keep them together better.

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
Sports talk I have been listening to lately has totally been on a natural grass kick especially in the NFL. These newer turfs are better than the 1990s but still more injuries. Soccer leagues around the world have all gone to natural grass fields because the players refuse to play on turf. In the Premier league they have some sort of hybrid fields that are 95% natural with some artificial fibers woven into the system to keep them together better.

I believe Green Bay has hybrid turf - Bluegrass interwoven with plastic turf. It's supposed to be fairly common in Europe.

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
Natural grass leads to increase in cow farts which will explode that blue 3rd rock from the sun.***

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
With the coeds its a thing of the past.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login