Of the Big 3(4?) sports - which sport are you most looking forward to watching?

Mayor of Little London

Dec 26, 2016
this year mens basketball because it is a chance to be relevant nationally but football is a close second to see how we are trending and what we (hopefully) have to look forward to.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
If we’re lucky, football will be kind of like Mullen’s first season after Croom.

Competitive at times but with a losing record.

Men’s Basketball >> Football

I’m a bit more confident in Jans in his third season than I am in Lebby in his first season.

Baseball…

I want to see how the portal works out first but Spring is all about renewal and Fall precedes the seasonal gloom of November so of course I look forward to baseball.

Reactions: 17itdawg and Dawgg

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
For me, it's a tie between men's basketball and football. Men's basketball - can we continue to make the tourney? Football - a complete unknown but want to see what Lebby takes us offensively.
1.) Football
Tied for 3.) Baseball & Basketball

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Men's Basketball
I fear that we have multi-year rebuild in Football although some signs of life offensively would be progress this fall.
In the era of the transfer portal, if we are looking at a multi year rebuild, then I don’t think Lebby will be around very long.

As the original question, it probably should be men’s basketball because I think we could be good this year, but it’s football for me. I’m curious to see the offense and how the team in general with Lebby.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Football increasingly feels like a visit to the in-laws: parts of it may not be bad, but I participate mainly out of tradition, and I'll be glad when it's over.

I'm looking forward to basketball - we had some speed bumps with Jans last season/off-season but I still think we've got a good one & are headed in the right direction.

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
Football then basketball. But I reserve the right to change my opinion after the first couple of football games.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I’m curious what we look like in football, but my expectations are about as low as they’ve been since Croom’s 3rd or 4th season.

Men’s basketball, women’s basketball, and baseball… I kind of expect us to be about the same as we’ve been, so… a good, not great bubble team. I don’t know that there have been any big talent or personnel changes that make me feel like we’re going to take a big leap forward or backwards.

So, of the four, I’d say it’s football, but that’s mostly out of morbid curiosity.

Now… the team I’m kind of excited to see this year is soccer. They’ve quietly become a solid program and I’m wondering if they can take that next step. I think softball could have a good season too.

I just contemplated that we live in a world where our soccer and softball teams have been in the round of 16 more times in the past 25 years than our men’s basketball team.

MStateDawg

Aug 3, 2021
I think the most popular answer will be football, but I'm really worried the defense is going to be awful and we haven't done much in the portal to change my mind, especially up front. I'm kind of dreading the thought of going thru a season with a Peter Sirmon level defense.

Reactions: Dawgg

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
Just the Big 2: Football & Men's Basketball

MBB is probably our best chance to have a national impact. The tourney is such a crapshoot that we might find ourselves on a national stage with a little luck

Reactions: retire the banner

patdog

May 28, 2007
Now… the team I’m kind of excited to see this year is soccer. They’ve quietly become a solid program and I’m wondering if they can take that next step. I think softball could have a good season too.

I just contemplated that we live in a world where our soccer and softball teams have been in the round of 16 more times in the past 25 years than our men’s basketball team.
It’s gonna be real hard for soccer to too last year. But we’ve got a lot back & added several players. I’m expecting top 6 SEC and top 16 in NCAAT, about same as last year.

Reactions: Dawgg

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
With football, we will know pretty quickly what we have with Lebby. If you have a good coach, you know immediately. I’m optimistic

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Basketball and it isn't close.

Due to a host of reasons, football as a sport just seems way too much of a clownshow at this point. I'll watch it, but I will have very little emotionally invested in it.

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
I lost interest in most all of them due to portal and NIL. But if I had to pick one I would pick football as that has always been my favorite.

Reactions: Ranchdawg and kired

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Football increasingly feels like a visit to the in-laws: parts of it may not be bad, but I participate mainly out of tradition, and I'll be glad when it's over.

I'm looking forward to basketball - we had some speed bumps with Jans last season/off-season but I still think we've got a good one & are headed in the right direction.
Geez that is depressing. I used to look forward to football all summer. It's nothing more to me now that background noise on the TV. A distraction from my life.

Reactions: dorndawg

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
If we were ever worth a darn again, it's always going to be basketball for me. One and done isn't worth a darn.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
For me for years it was Football no question not even close then baseball. But now after a boring 37-44 record since Mullen, the lack of parity, and now NIL and transfers that is changing. I know baseball is touched by NIL/transfers but not like football. So for me its baseball, then football. I don't even give a thought to basketball, can't stand the game. I use that time period between the Egg Bowl and first pitch to hunt a little and catch up on honey do's so I dont get fussed at too much for going to 35'ish home baseball games.

Reactions: patdog

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
It’s gonna be real hard for soccer to too last year. But we’ve got a lot back & added several players. I’m expecting top 6 SEC and top 16 in NCAAT, about same as last year.
You’re probably right, but that was a fun run last year.

Reactions: patdog

gtowndawg

Jan 23, 2007
Football followed closely by men's basketball. It's 1a and 1b, nothing else is remotely close.

patdog

May 28, 2007
You’re probably right, but that was a fun run last year.
It’ll be fun this year too. Just getting to the point the next step up is elite teams. I think we’ll have a better team next year than last. Just gonna be hard to beat a Stanford or a UNC to take that next step.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
1. Baseball
2. Baseball
3. Baseball
4. whatever is televised next.
I could watch baseball regardless of who’s playing. I haven’t watched a complete basketball game outside of State games in years. I’m a very apathetic football viewer as well.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Always football. I don't expect much at all, but I want to see how it goes. I just hope I don't get to the point I don't care at all. College sports is
Rapidly becoming a professional sport, I always liked it better than pro sports because it at
least made a pretense at being played by amateurs who shared the college experience with us non-athletes. That connection is rapidly going away.

MaxwellSmart

May 28, 2007
Football and baseball are the only ones I care about. If it weren't for the threads on here I wouldn't know what happened in basketball.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Men's Basketball
I fear that we have multi-year rebuild in Football although some signs of life offensively would be progress this fall.
One of the depressing things about college football these days is that the term "multi year" is no longer applicable to anything but overpaid coach's contracts.

Reactions: BulldogBlitz

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Football and men’s basketball. Football to see what Lebby can do and basketball with all the new pieces added to the team that should make them a little more dynamic on the offensive end of the floor.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

Anon1704414204

Jan 4, 2024
I love all 3 a lot but nothing comes close to football. I desperately wanna see us get back to playing .500 SEC football and hopefully taking that next step. Jan's has me pumped cuz he's a good coach. All 3 affect me differently. Kinda like my favorite musical artists; hard to say whose the best when they're all so different.

Last edited:

hatfieldms

Feb 20, 2008
For me, it's a tie between men's basketball and football. Men's basketball - can we continue to make the tourney? Football - a complete unknown but want to see what Lebby takes us offensively.
Exactly what I was about to post

Crazy Cotton

Aug 26, 2012
For me, I get the most enjoyment from a Saturday afternoon baseball game. I don’t have enough mental bandwidth I’m willing to devote to knowing the majority of players on a football roster, and I’m pretty sour on what has to be done to compete in both football and basketball at this point. Our current baseball coach won the national championship. I just love a good pitchers duel more than about anything in college sports.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
I lost interest in most all of them due to portal and NIL. But if I had to pick one I would pick football as that has always been my favorite.
This is me. Hard for me to follow who’s on the rosters, so I have no clue what to expect from any sport. Basketball used to be may favorite sport but the roster turnover from year to year has sucked the excitement out of me. I know we return Hubbard, Matthews, and…?

Although there are pros to that. It’s good that we can revamp our football roster after a 5-7 season, so that does give some hope of a quick turnaround

Reactions: BulldogBlitz

bolddogge

Aug 23, 2012
#1 Current sport that is in season (or upcoming if none are in season)
#2 The next sport that is in season
#3 The sport that will be in season after that.

Reactions: msugolf
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login