Official '24 PSU - USC game thread

Calabrin

Oct 16, 2022
If he read this board from the first half, he'd be doing a LB99esque victory lap. At least he'd be justified in doing so. I was frustrated at his lack of production early on but he came up monstrously clutch on those 4th down plays. Without those, we're 5-1.
For sure. But that’s how it goes. Players deserve criticism when they fail to perform, and they deserve praise when they come up big. They would have been justified in benching him and busting him down the depth chart, but hopefully, this will be the start of a turnaround for him, personally, on the season.

Reactions: Bison13 and Omar81

Grant Green

Oct 12, 2021
Julian Fleming:

Played so poorly in the first half, that he absolutely deserved to be benched for the remainder of the game.

All credit to him: he was in for the most crucial snaps at the end of the game and made two clutch catches to convert on 4th and 7, and 4th and 10.

Has to be feeling some good redemption vibes tonight.
A player has a bad half and deserves to get benched? Thank God you aren't a coach.

Calabrin

Oct 16, 2022
A player has a bad half and deserves to get benched? Thank God you aren't a coach.
No, by all means, you definitely keep throwing ineffective players out there. Especially the ones that were non-factors through the first 5 games. People who subscribe to the “put the best 11 players on the field” philosophy are clearly idiots.

Using your logic, Sahaydak would still be our kicker. Let’s see you reason your way outta’ that one.

Last edited:
Reactions: Omar81

MrTailgate

Oct 19, 2021
One of the things that stuck with me yesterday was the decision making by Coach in taking points. I think it’s even more difficult to do that when you have an X factor with a kid having the game Warren did yesterday. I think there is a disposition to just thinking the kid will make a play somewhere and just get him the ball and let him do something.

I’m too old to go by a printout saying to do X when it’s Y situation. Too many times I’ve seen bad decisions. I’m old school, heck I’m getting closer to where there was no school but a lot of times you spend the rest of the game chasing points. I think we saw some moments yesterday when I saw some real reason and less panic. The first FG I thought he might go for it to have a splash moment. I think taking the points was more him saying we are going to be around the goal line a lot more today. The second FG deep in USC territory could have been a moment when you panic trying to get to 17-10 instead of being 17-6. I think that was the right move as well.

They punted one time as well when I thought he might go for it.

If the Nits had lost I’d still be saying the same.

Reactions: Tom McAndrew

Big_O

Oct 12, 2021
I was shocked, as well others I know who were watching the game, that CJF actually made good in game decisions and no signature bonehead ones that he typically is apt to do. On the 4th down and short at midfield without the game on the line at the time , it appeared that he was faking going for it and trying to draw USC offsides. Unfortunately, bonehead PSU OL jumped offsides. No big deal because it gave Penn State more room to punt.

Reactions: Midnighter

Marshall2323

Aug 7, 2024
Julian Fleming:

Played so poorly in the first half, that he absolutely deserved to be benched for the remainder of the game.

All credit to him: he was in for the most crucial snaps at the end of the game and made two clutch catches to convert on 4th and 7, and 4th and 10.

Has to be feeling some good redemption vibes tonight.
As a Southern alum i have former teammates still living in the Catawissa area. They all tell me Julian is a good kid. Let's be happy for him. Most of us knew he wasn't a #1....in spite of resident coaches who insisted that OSU'S #4 would automatically be #1 here. He's solidified the culture in the WR room and can be clutch. A good teammate.

PSUQbKeeper

Oct 12, 2021
We caught several really good breaks…it’s ok to admit it. The Bushwood of USC would be losing his mind right now talking about the biased officiating and the conference that wanted to see PSU win.

I’ll take it and run (well, maybe walk since we have a week off to rest up).
sure but from the part of the game I saw we didn't catch any more breaks than USC

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
I was shocked, as well others I know who were watching the game, that CJF actually made good in game decisions and no signature bonehead ones that he typically is apt to do. On the 4th down and short at midfield without the game on the line at the time , it appeared that he was faking going for it and trying to draw USC offsides. Unfortunately, bonehead PSU OL jumped offsides. No big deal because it gave Penn State more room to punt.
sam winchester yawn GIF

• Haha
Reactions: PSUQbKeeper

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
Anyone else find the endless drone shots from above the Coliseum a bit annoying?
YES!!! It's one thing to use them when you come back from commercial. But they were using every camera angle imaginable to the point that they'd cut back to the actual "normal" angle right as the ball was being snapped, so you couldn't even see who was on the field, what was happening with the formation, etc. Always annoys me.

Nitt1300

Oct 12, 2021
Just had to come on the board at nearly 9:00 to take an unprovoked shot at some fellow Penn Staters — and then come back 2 minutes later to do it again because once is not enough. Feel better now?
Do you, or did the win suck all of the joy out of your life?

Reactions: Classof09

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
Just my 2 cents on the coaches and rest of the season. PSU outscored USC 27-10 after halftime. While we all would much rather see them start the game with guns blazing, that is some pretty impressive halftime coaching and adjustments. Yesterday, the opening drive of the game for PSU was a masterpiece of playcalling and execution that was negated by a questionable penalty on Fleming that negated the TD. If PSU scores that TD, the flow of the game may have been different. The PSU defense allowed their first points in the third quarter yesterday. They have only allowed 3 points total in the third quarter through six games. While the Allen defense frustrates me at times, that is pretty impressive. Also, Allar grew up before our eyes yesterday. Great to see him rise to the occasion. This team has some grit. I like it. Coach K has been fantastic. Chunk plays are coming in bursts and they are coming at great times in the game. The OL is much better overall. Credit to Trautwein. I love the timing of the bye week. This team needs an extra week to recover mentally and physically. The end of the season will not be easy. Wisconsin and Minny on the road will be challenging. OSU and Washington will be tough at home. Rutgers and MD will be massive underdogs on paper, but they both make PSU their Super Bowl every year. Things are looking up for PSU, but there is a lot of work still to be done.

Reactions: Connorpozlee

NittPicker

Oct 7, 2021
Anyone else find the endless drone shots from above the Coliseum a bit annoying?
I thought the same. They especially liked panning across the east facade and showing a ground level shot with the southwest field entrance in the background. But I get it though. The Coliseum is a historic venue with a lot of unique qualities. Apparently the network wanted to showcase that.

Bkmtnittany1

Oct 26, 2021
I thought the same. They especially liked panning across the east facade and showing a ground level shot with the southwest field entrance in the background. But I get it though. The Coliseum is a historic venue with a lot of unique qualities. Apparently the network wanted to showcase that.
They should have used the drones to showcase the USC cheerleaders! They are smoking!

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
One of the things that stuck with me yesterday was the decision making by Coach in taking points. I think it’s even more difficult to do that when you have an X factor with a kid having the game Warren did yesterday. I think there is a disposition to just thinking the kid will make a play somewhere and just get him the ball and let him do something.

I’m too old to go by a printout saying to do X when it’s Y situation. Too many times I’ve seen bad decisions. I’m old school, heck I’m getting closer to where there was no school but a lot of times you spend the rest of the game chasing points. I think we saw some moments yesterday when I saw some real reason and less panic. The first FG I thought he might go for it to have a splash moment. I think taking the points was more him saying we are going to be around the goal line a lot more today. The second FG deep in USC territory could have been a moment when you panic trying to get to 17-10 instead of being 17-6. I think that was the right move as well.

They punted one time as well when I thought he might go for it.

If the Nits had lost I’d still be saying the same.

Had almost zero issues with play calling and decision making yesterday (usually the case when we win :). I still don’t like Allar out as WR but they’ve been setting they up for five games and the payoff was today. Franklin deserves a lot of credit for having the team ready and playing a great game and making gutsy calls when he had to. I said it at the beginning of the season but he needs a raise (and will probably get it - soon).

WestSideLion

Oct 6, 2021
Spoken like a true fan!
I’m happy they won yesterday. I give the coaches and players credit for hanging tough after being down big early.

But don’t mistake criticism for not being a fan. I want them to win a title as much as anyone. I’m a 5th-gen PSU grad and football has been a huge part of my family and life.

The criticism of this coaching staff is justified. They trailed almost the entire game after going down big early. Poor starts on the road are a chronic problem and while it was great that they gutted out a win yesterday, slow starts typically get them beat a couple of times each season.

11 years in, there is enough data to see these as long term problems that haven’t been fixed. The players have turned over. The coordinators and asst coaches too. What else gives?

Reactions: Midnighter

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Yes. And when he gets his lines sorted, USC will be poised for big things. If they give him that long…

USC should win out and then their season hangs on the ND game. They’re close - the offense is already very good to elite and recruiting has improved a ton. Riley needs two more years IMO but he’s on the right track. Minnesota loss hurt a ton.

Reactions: WestSideLion

1995PSUGrad

Oct 30, 2021
I’m happy they won yesterday. I give the coaches and players credit for hanging tough after being down big early.

But don’t mistake criticism for not being a fan. I want them to win a title as much as anyone. I’m a 5th-gen PSU grad and football has been a huge part of my family and life.

The criticism of this coaching staff is justified. They trailed almost the entire game after going down big early. Poor starts on the road are a chronic problem and while it was great that they gutted out a win yesterday, slow starts typically get them beat a couple of times each season.

11 years in, there is enough data to see these as long term problems that haven’t been fixed. The players have turned over. The coordinators and asst coaches too. What else gives?
In the past 11 years, 7 coaches have won national championships. So does that mean that Franklin and the other 100+ coaches that haven't won are terrible and should all be fired?

There was so much criticism of Harbaugh with fans and media calling for him to be fired and then he won last year and the entire narrative changed. So would your opinion of Franklin change if he was to win one? Paterno one 2 in 46 years, and it took 17 for him to win his first. I guess he should have been let go long before 1982.

I don't have any problem with some legitimate criticism. My issues with a lot of people on this board are the ridiculous expectations, their knee jerk (over) reactions to practically every play, and their inability to appreciate the fact that we have a good football team that has been better than most other teams in the country for a long time.

Reactions: Nitt1300

CyphaPSU

Oct 25, 2021
Hopefully, we are seeing the solution to our kicking problem taking his first big steps. Unfortunately, problems with the kicking game have not been unheard of within our program in recent memory. What I appreciate about this situation, however, is how the guy who will potentially stabilize the kicking game has multiple years of eligibility left, which hasn’t always been the case in times past.

Grant Green

Oct 12, 2021
No, by all means, you definitely keep throwing ineffective players out there. Especially the ones that were non-factors through the first 5 games. People who subscribe to the “put the best 11 players on the field” philosophy are clearly idiots.

Using your logic, Sahaydak would still be our kicker. Let’s see you reason your way outta’ that one.
Using your logic every great player who had a slump would be benched. And psu very well may have lost that game yesterday if you were coach.

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
btn will air a condensed replay of this game in a few minutes (noon EDT).

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
Yes. And when he gets his lines sorted, USC will be poised for big things. If they give him that long…
This has been his Achilles heel his entire career. His defense usually is an afterthought to the offense. You saw it at Oklahoma and last year at SC. Now, they have an improved defense, but games are won and lost in the trenches. I listen to recruiting guys and they addressed the uphill battle that USC faces recruiting top DL players on the west coast. According to the recruiting experts, there is a big lack of talented DL players currently on the west coast. They will probably have to hit the portal in hopes of improving the DL. This was the talk last year after they collapsed down the stretch.

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
USC should win out and then their season hangs on the ND game. They’re close - the offense is already very good to elite and recruiting has improved a ton. Riley needs two more years IMO but he’s on the right track. Minnesota loss hurt a ton.
Agree, I really hope they throttle ND so we can stick a fork in ND for the season.

Latest posts

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login