Ole Miss football palyer sues school / Kiffen.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Health is health. The perception that your brain being broken is less serious that say a leg, is one thing that contributes to people not getting the treatment they need. If the coaches did not take it seriously and help him, be understanding, etc., shame on them. Think about how much money they put into physical health treatments to be sure players don’t miss time on the field.

At the same time I’m ignorant in the law so it may be that this is a bad legal approach and a waste of the courts time. It may be that the guy has a point and is looking to raise mental health awareness or it may be a money grab. It’ll be interesting to see how it goes.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Health is health. The perception that your brain being broken is less serious that say a leg, is one thing that contributes to people not getting the treatment they need. If the coaches did not take it seriously and help him, be understanding, etc., shame on them. Think about how much money they put into physical health treatments to be sure players don’t miss time on the field.

At the same time I’m ignorant in the law so it may be that this is a bad legal approach and a waste of the courts time. It may be that the guy has a point and is looking to raise mental health awareness or it may be a money grab. It’ll be interesting to see how it goes.
Yep.

At the very least, Kiffin’s going to be told
to shut his mouth on anything dealing with mental health issues.

That recording ain’t good PR for him.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the AD & Chancellor set up a Lane Train for Mental Health Awareness Fundraiser.

(I so wanted to put sarcasterisks there but something like that could actually be in a potential settlement.)

Clay Lyle

Sep 30, 2022
After Ole Miss goes 6-6 instead of competing for the West as their fans were promised, Kiffin is going to get the Mel Tucker treatment on that ridiculous contract.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Yep.

At the very least, Kiffin’s going to be told
to shut his mouth on anything dealing with mental health issues.

That recording ain’t good PR for him.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the AD & Chancellor set up a Lane Train for Mental Health Awareness Fundraiser.

(I so wanted to put sarcasterisks there but something like that could actually be in a potential settlement.)
Simply contrast how they are coddled wrt physical health. With all these meal plans, ice baths weight rooms, ankle wraps, PTs on the sideline, trainers and other medical personnel, I’m beginning to believe we are just raising soft kids who are full of it whining about every little thing that hurts. It’s time to get back to salt tablets and playing through pain and broken bones!

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
I don’t think that’s a terrible look for Kiffen. Sue me.
I don’t feel like I have enough of the story to form an opinion quite yet, but I’ll admit that I’m not completely against Kiffin based on what I’ve seen so far. Reading between the lines, it sure sounds like this player completely ghosted the team, didn’t even bother to answer multiple requests to at least have a conversation with Kiffin, and he’s been “coached” to just play the mental health card when he finally decided that it was time to come crawling back.

Now, I’m not saying that the kid wasn’t dealing with legit stress and/or mental health issues, but there’s a right way and a wrong way to handle those things, and it sounds like there were clear reasons that Kiffin was pissed.

MagnoliaHunter

Jan 23, 2007
I don’t feel like I have enough of the story to form an opinion quite yet, but I’ll admit that I’m not completely against Kiffin based on what I’ve seen so far. Reading between the lines, it sure sounds like this player completely ghosted the team, didn’t even bother to answer multiple requests to at least have a conversation with Kiffin, and he’s been “coached” to just play the mental health card when he finally decided that it was time to come crawling back.

Now, I’m not saying that the kid wasn’t dealing with legit stress and/or mental health issues, but there’s a right way and a wrong way to handle those things, and it sounds like there were clear reasons that Kiffin was pissed.
While you may be right, if he was legitimately having mental health issues, his going into a shell and being afraid to talk to anybody could have been the reaction that he would have. Especially seeing how kiffin treated him when he finally did come to him about it.

WGWFA

Oct 12, 2021
Exactly.

jeff bridges opinion GIF

In all seriousness, let’s take your statement at face value.

“If most of the kids are full of crap” then that means you’re admitting that there are kids who need help.

And you’re actually making the case in favor of the football player here

I expect Ole Miss and Kiffin to settle.

And Kiffin will have to curb his mouth about this subject in the future.
Negative, negative, negative, negative & negative.

you want to play the kumbaya ******** game, Pat little Johnny on the hand and give him a hug while telling him it’s going to be ok. That ain’t how reality works sparky.🤷‍♂️

• Haha
Reactions: Maroon Eagle

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Negative, negative, negative, negative & negative.

you want to play the kumbaya ******** game, Pat little Johnny on the hand and give him a hug while telling him it’s going to be ok. That ain’t how reality works sparky.🤷‍♂️
Here’s where your problem is.

You’re talking about reality.

And college football nowadays ain’t anywhere near reality in the age of NIL.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
The player legally recorded a conversation with Kiffin without Kiffin's knowledge. Mississippi is a one-party state.
Going into a meeting with a coach with your phone set to record, while knowing that the coach is going to get all over you because you've been AWOL and haven't done what he's asked you to do, is some pretty weak stuff. It reeks of a setup.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Just to add some context with no judgement, apparently the kid has been on the team for 3 years prior to the 2023 season. One of 5 HS players remaining from Kiffins 2020 class.

Has been a DT his whole career with very little playing time. Sounds like maybe they were moving him to offense for his RS Junior year?
No, they wanted him to transfer and he refused, so they moved him to scout team OL. It feels like Kiffin believes all of this is retaliation for them moving him to the scout team.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

I tend to feel like you do, however, having seen people go through mental breaks, I've learned that I can't expect someone in the middle of a mental crisis to handle it in the "right" way. What you refer to as "ghosted" may have simply been a symptom of a mental health break.

When I was in engineering school, working on my masters in a group of three for a class project, one of my project team members went AWOL. After a few days, my professor called me and the other team member into his office and told us that the missing guy was at home and had experienced a "nervous breakdown", and may, or may not return. This project was 50% of our grade. The 3rd guy was out until about two weeks left in the semester, returned, learned what we had done on the project, contributed to the final presentation and stood with us as we presented our project.

I feel like the way the Engineering school handled that was impressive, particularly given that this was almost 30 years ago. I am thankful that I don't understand what it feels like to deal with mental illness, but I'm always aware that people dealing with mental illness may not have the ability in the moment to behave "right" or "rational".

Again, no idea what the story (beyond the brief article) is on this particular incident, but at a minimum Lane has to learn to sound better on the topic; worst case, the football program needs to take wholistic health as seriously as they take physical health. Unfortunately, as we see with progress, it often takes a higher profile player who really impacts the bottom line, to get enough attention for change to occur.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Going into a meeting with a coach with your phone set to record, while knowing that the coach is going to get all over you because you've been AWOL and haven't done what he's asked you to do, is some pretty weak stuff. It reeks of a setup.
I can see where you see that.

And you may be right that it was a setup.

But what if the player also has a point?

It could be a setup to get action— hence Ole Miss’s recent moves.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I tend to feel like you do, however, having seen people go through mental breaks, I've learned that I can't expect someone in the middle of a mental crisis to handle it in the "right" way. What you refer to as "ghosted" may have simply been a symptom of a mental health break.

This Up Here GIF by Chord Overstreet

Reactions: Dawgg

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
I can see where you see that.

And you may be right that it was a setup.

But what if the player also has a point?

It could be a setup to get action— hence Ole Miss’s recent moves.
I dunno. And like others have said, I'm not rushing to judgement because only one side of the story is out there. I'm not diminishing mental health issues. But he's there on a scholarship and there are certain responsibilities that come with that. This is not the first time in the history of football that a coach has called a player a pu55y. I'm sure half of us here has gotten worse from a coach at one point.

If it brings some embarrassment to Ole Miss, great. But I'm willing to bet that most D1 coaches have dealt with similar things in a similar fashion. The kid could have avoided all of this by not going awol. He's living there on the school's dime; that comes with responsibilities.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I agree, unless this wasn't the first meeting/discussion on the topic and the player decided to capture what he had been dealing with. It will be interesting to see where it goes and what comes out of it. I can't imagine the player having enough money to lawyer up vs the university, so it's either an attorney who thinks there is a big payday at the end or just wants the publicity?

Requiem For A Dawg

Dec 3, 2008
t
Agreed. If I were a coach, after the first time a player refused to meet with me, there wouldn’t be a second request. The player wouldn’t be on the team.

I’m sorry if this kid is really having mental health issues. But I can’t take his side if he’s refusing meetings with Kiffin, and secretly recording him.

this seems to be the new thing with college football players. Fitzgerald taken down earlier this year, and they tried unsuccessfully to get Fleck out at Minnesota this year. Everyone is looking for a lawsuit and an easy payday.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
I agree, unless this wasn't the first meeting/discussion on the topic and the player decided to capture what he had been dealing with. It will be interesting to see where it goes and what comes out of it. I can't imagine the player having enough money to lawyer up vs the university, so it's either an attorney who thinks there is a big payday at the end or just wants the publicity?
I've got a feeling there's a lot more to the story that we don't know.

The only thing out there is the kid's story - and his includes the part that Kiffin was wanting to meet with him and he blew him off for two weeks.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
I have no clue the whole story. If he breaks has issues I hope he gets help. But I know this is a current black eye for that institution and that makes me smile. I hope it blows up like my gut after Taco Bell.

Reactions: STATEgrad04

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
I dunno. And like others have said, I'm not rushing to judgement because only one side of the story is out there. I'm not diminishing mental health issues. But he's there on a scholarship and there are certain responsibilities that come with that. This is not the first time in the history of football that a coach has called a player a pu55y. I'm sure half of us here has gotten worse from a coach at one point.

If it brings some embarrassment to Ole Miss, great. But I'm willing to bet that most D1 coaches have dealt with similar things in a similar fashion. The kid could have avoided all of this by not going awol. He's living there on the school's dime; that comes with responsibilities.
If only the head coach was compensated well enough to be expected to manage this type of crap without embarrassing his employer....

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
t

Agreed. If I were a coach, after the first time a player refused to meet with me, there wouldn’t be a second request. The player wouldn’t be on the team.

I’m sorry if this kid is really having mental health issues. But I can’t take his side if he’s refusing meetings with Kiffin, and secretly recording him.

this seems to be the new thing with college football players. Fitzgerald taken down earlier this year, and they tried unsuccessfully to get Fleck out at Minnesota this year. Everyone is looking for a lawsuit and an easy payday.
I'd be hard pressed, as a coach, not to put cell phone lockers in place and not allow them in certain places/meetings.

Reactions: Dawgg

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
Why is it that when discussions like this come up mental health isn’t that big of a problem and these cries for mental health help are ridiculous, but when there is a shooting it all goes back to there not being enough mental health help? You can’t have it both ways.

I don’t have the answer, I just find it funny how much people contradict themselves based on personal feelings.

and I apologize ahead of time for where I probably have sent this thread.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Why is it that when discussions like this come up mental health isn’t that big of a problem and these cries for mental health help are ridiculous, but when there is a shooting it all goes back to there not being enough mental health help? You can’t have it both ways.

I don’t have the answer, I just find it funny how much people contradict themselves based on personal feelings.

and I apologize ahead of time for where I probably have sent this thread.

Well, the mental health issues of eventual mass shooters need to be properly assessed, if possible, as a threat to the public and dealt with accordingly. When they're not, we see what can happen.

A kid who is likely upset over his hard azz coaches and the end of his football life most likely doesn't rise to the level of a threat to society.

One is a big problem for society, the other is likely mainly a problem only for the individual and loved ones (and the occasional foul mouthed football coaches)

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
Bottom line since Kiffen seemed to treat this as a boss-employee thing: in this day and age as a boss you are asking for trouble if you talk to an employee like that. Im not saying it's right or wrong, just stating what ought to be obvious to all these days.
An important part of the new NIL/scholarship system. Rights of players will likely be reassessed in the coming years and lawyers will find away to get compensation for the aggrieved party and for themselves

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
Well, the mental health issues of eventual mass shooters need to be properly assessed, if possible, as a threat to the public and dealt with accordingly. When they're not, we see what can happen.

A kid who is likely upset over his hard azz coaches and the end of his football life most likely doesn't rise to the level of a threat to society.

One is a big problem for society, the other is likely mainly a problem only for the individual and loved ones (and the occasional foul mouthed football coaches)
I agree. Colon cancer and breast cancer are also horrible problems. We screen the whole population for them. The vast majority of people develop neither. But if you don’t catch them in the people who have them, they progress until it is too late to do something about it

the vast majority of people complaining of mental issues will not become mass murderers. But who knows which ones will be? If we ignore people who are saying they need help how the heck to we expect to find the people who do?

this guy may be full of ****. I have no idea. I’m just saying we can’t say improving mental health care in this country will make gun violence magically disappear and at the same time basically call someone who says they need mental health a P word.

Sep 15, 2009
You think? All I read was that he was having mental health issues before last season, and he claims Kiffin kicked him off the team, but he’s still listed on the roster. There’s no details at all, really.
There are articles that have what appears to be a quoted conversation I assume was recorded that is laid out in the complaint where Kiffin is basically slamming him for being a p**sy, etc. I think it's in the Clarion Ledger article.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
I agree. Colon cancer and breast cancer are also horrible problems. We screen the whole population for them. The vast majority of people develop neither. But if you don’t catch them in the people who have them, they progress until it is too late to do something about it

the vast majority of people complaining of mental issues will not become mass murderers. But who knows which ones will be? If we ignore people who are saying they need help how the heck to we expect to find the people who do?

this guy may be full of ****. I have no idea. I’m just saying we can’t say improving mental health care in this country will make gun violence magically disappear and at the same time basically call someone who says they need mental health a P word.

I don't know enough to be commenting (but this is SPS)...

Seems that in many mass shooting cases, the problems of these folks are very clear and known. Getting them into a place were they aren't a threat to the public seems to be the issue.

I know there is a lot to unpack there, but handling known dangerous people seems a more logical place to start than jumping to controlling the rights of the vast majority who are zero threat to society.

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
I don't know enough to be commenting (but this is SPS)...

Seems that in many mass shooting cases, the problems of these folks are very clear and known. Getting them into a place were they aren't a threat to the public seems to be the issue.

I know there is a lot to unpack there, but handling known dangerous people seems a more logical place to start than jumping to controlling the rights of the vast majority who are zero threat to society.
Controlling the rights? Who said anything about controlling the rights? No one forces anyone to have colonoscopies or mammograms. All I said is if someone asks for mental health help maybe don’t flip them off and tell them to stop being a P word.

Honestly, what you said sounds more like infringing on rights. We should be trying to get these people help before their mental disease progresses to the point that we need to separate them from the public

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
That’s a tough one because they both get out of bed every day and put on a uniform that says I’m a weak embarrassment to society, take your best shot at me.
This board's collective love for crapping on 'the younger and weaker generation' is just wild to see. Its so absurd, its like a parody of a trope. The average posting age pushed past 40 and suddenly there are an overwhelming number of people who no longer ironically yell 'get off my lawn'. Now, they honestly want to make their lawn the nicest on the block, and Lord save the coddled pussified youths that happen to walk on it.

Is there some mass mental block that happens to many on here after they crest 40, and they can no longer remember how much society made fun of late year GenX and Millennials?
Just 10 years ago, Millennials(anyone thats about 28-42 right now) were blamed for ruining everything. It was an odd societal phenomenon- Millennials were blamed for seemingly anything that wasnt good anymore, and it got so out of hand that it became a joke to blame Millennials for 'ruining' things they had nothing to do with.

Apply that here- just a new younger generation being ripped on with a lazy broad brush.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
This board's collective love for crapping on 'the younger and weaker generation' is just wild to see. Its so absurd, its like a parody of a trope. The average posting age pushed past 40 and suddenly there are an overwhelming number of people who no longer ironically yell 'get off my lawn'. Now, they honestly want to make their lawn the nicest on the block, and Lord save the coddled pussified youths that happen to walk on it.

Is there some mass mental block that happens to many on here after they crest 40, and they can no longer remember how much society made fun of late year GenX and Millennials?
Just 10 years ago, Millennials(anyone thats about 28-42 right now) were blamed for ruining everything. It was an odd societal phenomenon- Millennials were blamed for seemingly anything that wasnt good anymore, and it got so out of hand that it became a joke to blame Millennials for 'ruining' things they had nothing to do with.

Apply that here- just a new younger generation being ripped on with a lazy broad brush.
Why do you hate old people?

Ghostman

Apr 12, 2021
Here are some questions that must be considered... what is the responsibility of the university when they have students that are dealing with mental illness? Does the athletics dept (admin, coaches, etc) have a higher level of responsibility when an athlete has a mental illness?

Personally, I'm not sure that it is a very good idea for a person dealing with a mental disease to be playing a game that could add a lot of stress and anxiety to an already difficult situation.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
- The term 'mental health' has expanded to include such a wide range of issues that it has lost some meaning/impact. I do wish the term wasnt so watered down, because it seems like some people are reactionary and are dismissive of more than they should be when it comes to mental health claims.

- Just because people were treated like crap for mental health issues in past decades doesnt mean people are weaker now for speaking up and prioritizing their mental health.

- If someone is going thru some genuine rough mental issues- depression, overwhelming anxiety, etc- then if they hole up and ignore people around them, that can very easily be evidence of their mental state vs them being some dick who is pouting.

- I love that the stigma of mental health being a weakness is no longer as prevalent as it was 25 years ago. We used to be absolute dicks to people with known mental disorders and issues when growing up, and that is truly 17ed up in retrospect. Teens now are, in general, more accepting of and patient with neurodivergent peers.

- Mental health should be respected equally with physical health. If a player has Mono, a torn ACL, or a broken arm- there is no difference in the level of respect that should be given compared to a player with a concussion, recently developed anxiety, or depression.

Reactions: FlotownDawg

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020

Why do you hate old people?
Ahh, the old “I know you are but what am I” defense

• Haha
Reactions: darkhorse_dan

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
- The term 'mental health' has expanded to include such a wide range of issues that it has lost some meaning/impact. I do wish the term wasnt so watered down, because it seems like some people are reactionary and are dismissive of more than they should be when it comes to mental health claims.

- Just because people were treated like crap for mental health issues in past decades doesnt mean people are weaker now for speaking up and prioritizing their mental health.

- If someone is going thru some genuine rough mental issues- depression, overwhelming anxiety, etc- then if they hole up and ignore people around them, that can very easily be evidence of their mental state vs them being some dick who is pouting.

- I love that the stigma of mental health being a weakness is no longer as prevalent as it was 25 years ago. We used to be absolute dicks to people with known mental disorders and issues when growing up, and that is truly 17ed up in retrospect. Teens now are, in general, more accepting of and patient with neurodivergent peers.
This. 100 times this. I had severe OCD as a teen. It made me almost nonfunctional. Life was hell. I had no one to talk to. I went to some very dark places and am stunned I came out okay on the other side. It was hell and I needed help. But back then you didn’t complain and even if you had you just would have become an outcast and not gotten any help anyways

interesting story, I figured out what I had when ESPN ran a story about an NHL player who had severe OCD. I was like “holy hell, that’s me!!!”. It was like a weight was lifted. I realized I wasn’t alone. It was at that point that I started figuring out how to get through it. If there had been someone to talk to and if I wasn’t so ashamed, my teenage years wouldn’t have been the shitshow they were

Last edited:
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login