OM at MSU , Baseball, 4-14-23

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
My anger was about to kick in early if that Ledbetter error had turned into a run. That’s the kinda stuff I see on Tuesday nights in my 7 year old’s games

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
This has been a good game. OM has flashed some leather. State’s staff has pitched well. Our breaking pitches have had real bite all night.

Holcomb’s E in center is the only E of the game so far.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Their guy will bunt against the shift. Our guy, Clark, won’t.

Ledbetter swinging 2-0 down 2 runs in the 9th totally selfish play.

anyone that defends geautreax or thinks our offense is something more than average is silly.

selfish approach all night. Everyone trying to hit homers. All the way down to the last swing

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Sec teams were hitting .348 against Dougherty. Hat tip to the pitching staff.

SchrodingersDawg

Sep 15, 2020
For those keeping score, we’re now 3-21 in our last 24 SEC contests
Anthony Anderson Abc GIF by HULU

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
For those keeping score, we’re now 3-21 in our last 24 SEC contests

We're 3-3 in our last 6, but way to focus on the negative.

Disappointing to get a decent pitching performance and squander it, but we've been much, much worse this season.

Reactions: onewoof

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
We are showing more gusto and confidence. 6 guys going 0 fer 3 tonight was the difference.

Crazy that the Bears got a dozen hits and only scored 3

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
We are showing more gusto and confidence. 6 guys going 0 fer 3 tonight was the difference.

Crazy that the Bears got a dozen hits and only scored 3

Go check the SEC stats.

Highfill (190)
Forsythe (160)
Ledbetter (240)
Larry (240)

Going o-fer isn’t anything new. The scorekeeper giving Larry gift doubles helps that too.

We hit 4 kids back to back to back to back. 8-9-1-2, all are below sec average hitters in any catergory you want to use and 2 are downright pathetic. And we wont even pinch hit for them

Reactions: onewoof

cowbell88

Jan 11, 2009
So, Big Mac was at game last night. We talked to him for inning or so. He said these guys have the talent, but haven’t developed the “it” factor between the ears, and it’s no true leaders that want to step up. He said he would move back to Starkville today, if ever offered any position on the staff.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Disappointing to get a decent pitching performance and squander it, but we've been much, much worse this season.
This is also the worst SEC team we've lost to this year. And the one we're fighting to stay out of the cellar. You can spin it however you want to, but last night was a very bad loss. We really need to win the next two just to have a shot at Hoover.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
We keep harping about OM not winning a series against us since 2015. Karma and probability are likely to change that this weekend. Just hope we don't lose all 3.

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
i got blasted by quite a few (who think they're in the know) on this board last year for suggesting that this staff has an evaluation problem. We have some starters that shouldn't even be starting on a JUCO team. And that's not counting the numerous transfers that Lemonis has brought in that have flamed out before they even got started. Namely pitchers. We have an evaluation problem. We don't know how to properly evaluate and project talent. They're doing it the lazy way and letting PG call the shots on the HS recruits, and I don't know what the hell their strategy is with the transfers. It's no different than Polk relying solely on his camps to get his players. It may be a decade before we host another regional.

patdog

May 28, 2007
i got blasted by quite a few (who think they're in the know) on this board last year for suggesting that this staff has an evaluation problem. We have some starters that shouldn't even be starting on a JUCO team. And that's not counting the numerous transfers that Lemonis has brought in that have flamed out before they even got started. Namely pitchers. We have an evaluation problem. We don't know how to properly evaluate and project talent. They're doing it the lazy way and letting PG call the shots on the HS recruits, and I don't know what the hell their strategy is with the transfers. It's no different than Polk relying solely on his camps to get his players. It may be a decade before we host another regional
You could not possibly be any more right than you are.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
So, Big Mac was at game last night. We talked to him for inning or so. He said these guys have the talent, but haven’t developed the “it” factor between the ears, and it’s no true leaders that want to step up. He said he would move back to Starkville today, if ever offered any position on the staff.
Big Mac was an average player his entire career. Another one given way too much credit. He hit 4th bc he was big hit Mac but didnt deserve to hit there. Another loyality issue with Lemonis shown early. People remember the few big hits he got and forget to all the many strikeouts he had. He’s a 290 hitter who was again an average at best player here.

I wouldn’t trust his judgement on these players or this team, nor would i hire someone with 0 experience to fix this roster situation.

Funny he says the “it” factor. Something that can be measured or even explained, yet I’m sure in his eyes he had it and these kids dont

• Sad
Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
This is also the worst SEC team we've lost to this year. And the one we're fighting to stay out of the cellar. You can spin it however you want to, but last night was a very bad loss. We really need to win the next two just to have a shot at Hoover.

I spun it as "we've spent enough time on losing 18 straight", which is what the person I was responding to apparently wanted to point out again.

I've already said we badly needed a sweep this weekend. It's far from lost on me how badly we needed that game.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Big Mac was an average player his entire career. Another one given way too much credit. He hit 4th bc he was big hit Mac but didnt deserve to hit there. Another loyality issue with Lemonis shown early. People remember the few big hits he got and forget to all the many strikeouts he had. He’s a 290 hitter who was again an average at best player here.

I wouldn’t trust his judgement on these players or this team, nor would i hire someone with 0 experience to fix this roster situation.

Funny he says the “it” factor. Something that can be measured or even explained, yet I’m sure in his eyes he had it and these kids dont

Huh? Who should we have played over Mac in 2019?

I agree he wasn’t an elite talent, but seven hells, he was a pretty damn good college player.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008

I'm sorry he stole your girlfriend.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Didn’t say we shouldn’t have played him. But we continued to hit him and his 280 batting average 4th just because.

we had Allen foscue westy amongst others. He had the 8th highest ops on that team and hit 4th.

290 career hitter who never posted an ops above 850. Struck out a ton.

A starter and quality role player is what he was.

• Sad

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Didn’t say we shouldn’t have played him. But we continued to hit him and his 280 batting average 4th just because.

we had Allen foscue westy amongst others. He had the 8th highest ops on that team and hit 4th.

290 career hitter who never posted an ops above 850. Struck out a ton.

A starter and quality role player is what he was.
I dont know what he did in conference but overall he had the 5th highest OPS. Ahead of Rowdey and Westy. And right up there with Mangum and Skelton. I think you are starting to overthink this.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Mac?

foscue
Mangum
Skelton
Hancock
Hatcher
Allen

all had better ops
Westburg was just under him and if anyone wants to argue who the better hitter was between those two I’m all ears

he hit 4th due to rep and because He was liked by lemonis no way did he deserve to hit 4th in that order

But again point was: someone who was a 290 career hitter and was very much a role player taking about this team lacks an it factor is hiloarious. Even more comical is giving him a job on staff with 0 experience just because he hit a few homers

• Sad

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Mac?

foscue
Mangum
Skelton
Hancock
Hatcher
Allen

all had better ops
Westburg was just under him and if anyone wants to argue who the better hitter was between those two I’m all ears.

he hit 4th due to rep and because He was liked by lemonis no way did he deserve to hit 4th in that order
Im talking of the regulars. Hatcher and Hancock were never gonna start over Mac. And should t have in 19. So yes. 5th highest. Regardless other than Fos and Allen most of those guys are bunched in ops

that team went to the CWS and lost bc of pitching. You dont need to overthink this to find issues with the program but none of it has to do with some alleged loyalty issue leading to Mac batting 4th.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
I’m not finding issues with anything. He didn’t deserve to hit 4th. He wasn’t 7th on the team in ops. Maybe not Hancock but Hatcher played in 45 games

I’m not splitting hairs here. We hit both westburg and Skelton who were better hitters with better numbers behind him that season because mac was a fan and coach favorite

but again point was: someone who was nothing more than a solid role guy here. Talking about what this team lacks, and claiming it’s an it factor is hilkadious. Again how do we know he had it and these kids don’t. I’m not sure mac would start on this current team anyway. I wouldn’t play him over any of the current outfielders and certainly not in the dh spot over Hines

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login