On a Scale of 1-10 What Is Your Outlook of Our Football Program Under Leach

ArcherSPS

Aug 22, 2012
Spare me the “he’s won everywhere”, that’s the same BS we heard about Ben Howland. Neither won here. I’m currently at a 1, we’re seeing a coach not wanting to adjust his system like Howland and just seems to be collecting a 5.5 million dollar check. That’s essentially 1.2 million per win, that’s a damn shame.

dawgnabit

Oct 13, 2016
I'm like a 6. It depends on what you want for our program. I would love for him to help us take the next step and elevate our program, but I don't see him really doing that. I think he will make a bowl every year but that's it. I think his ceiling is maybe only 9 wins when things go right which is unfortunate. I just can't see him having a team that is consistent enough to win 10 or even 11 on those occasional "special years"

patdog

May 28, 2007
About a 5. We could do a lot worse and have before. But I've never thought he was the answer.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
7 to 8. System coaches always take a while to get up and running. And all of you talking about adjusting, well, system coaches don't adjust, they run their system. And Leach isn't like Howland, Howland was at a blue blood, Leach never has been.

This could be one of the better 4-5 year runs in our history if we will see it through. We've got consistency like we've never had, let's just let it play out. I've always been a run-first guy, but we've pushed all our chips in on this passing stuff so I say let it roll.

ArcherSPS

Aug 22, 2012
So 3 years isn’t enough time to have a system in place and up and running? God help us.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
I think he'll consistently win 6 - 8 per year. I don't expect he'll ever have a 10-2 type regular season here, but I don't think the program will collapse like it did in early 2000s. He's obviously not on the Croom level, and doesn't seem to be falling apart like it was under Moorhead.

Not sure where that puts me on the scale, maybe a 6.5?

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
So 3 years isn’t enough time to have a system in place and up and running? God help us.
So basically you were just baiting someone into replying positively? God help you.

And the system IS up and running. Our offense is fine. But it will get better if we continue to add players that were recruited specifically for it.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
8. But my expectations are not to win a natty. I want us to be well coached and disciplined and occasionally beat one of the big boys and never be a complete embarrassment (Iowa bowl game, south alabama, etc.)

ArcherSPS

Aug 22, 2012
So last week’s performance, last year’s EB, and the Liberty Bowl were fine? Spare me.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Leach isn't the problem and he's not the solution either. We can't afford to live in the SEC. Money produces results and we don't have enough to compete. Nick Saban couldn't win a national championship with the budget State is required to work with. We will never be able to compete regularly in the SEC and we can't afford to get out so we're destined to be exactly what we are. A coach isn't going to fix that. To answer your question, I'd give Leach a 7.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Leachs problem is he won’t make obvious adjustments or evolve. The easiest example is we have an explosive playmaker in Tulu who has had 5 touches the last 2 games. And zero rushes on the year. So we may be in the SEC but we aren’t maximizing our ability.

peewee.sixpack

Nov 4, 2014

This maybe an unpopular opinion but I remember listening to one of our local sports shows (can't remember which one) years ago and the question was asked if both OM and MSU could remain good football programs during the same time period for any length of time. The answer from everyone was no. There isn't the local talent base to sustain it. Now the transfer portal has definitely changed the dynamic since then but lets be honest, Kiffin is a better recruiter and coach than Leach. Leach is a great systems coach. Kiffin is good at making adjustments to the players he has on staff (ie, he tweaks the game plan to support his talent). A lot of our top talent is hardly even touching the ball.

I am not for firing Leach but I have now accepted we will never be anything but mediocre in the SEC and no matter what the talking heads say just don't get too excited.

Last edited:

ArcherSPS

Aug 22, 2012
Fill me in on how the rest of that year went after LSU. To those Auburn and A&M, good wins sure, but then you look at a game like Memphis, the EB, the LB, and almost getting our world rocked by Louisiana Tech.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Fill me in on how the rest of that year went after LSU. To those Auburn and A&M, good wins sure, but then you look at a game like Memphis, the EB, the LB, and almost getting our world rocked by Louisiana Tech.
It went like a typical year 1 when you're taking over a program that was on the verge of collapse. And like we've said 100 times, in a normal 12 game schedule, that team is likely 6-6 and in a bowl (which is why we went to a bowl at 3-7).

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
9.95. Saving the 10 for the day he raises the CFP Trophy, but I've been his biggest fan since the mid-00s.

olblue.sixpack

Aug 23, 2012
Spare me the “he’s won everywhere”, that’s the same BS we heard about Ben Howland. Neither won here. I’m currently at a 1, we’re seeing a coach not wanting to adjust his system like Howland and just seems to be collecting a 5.5 million dollar check. That’s essentially 1.2 million per win, that’s a damn shame.

The Howland comparison is a good one. Good enough for most until it isn’t.

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
If you're not going to bother to get either coach's name right, even when they've both been here nearly 3 years, why should we care what you say about them?

It's not like you just had a typo, you misspelled them both repeatedly throughout your post.

Irondawg

Dec 2, 2007
I’m going with a 6

He’s a good enough coach that hires other good coaches and runs a right enough ship that I don’t think we will ever be terrible unless we have a rash of key injuries.

But he’s also old enough and stubborn enough that I don’t think we can progress much further.

However the current landscape of college football will make it difficult to get too much better no matter who the coach is.

columbiadawg2

Feb 2, 2010
5. We will be between 5-7 and 7-5 each season. We'll beat someone we shouldn't and lose to someone we should easily beat. Not even considering competing for the division until Saban leaves but I don't think Leach will ever compete for a NY6 bowl either. Good season is getting to a bowl, bad one is not getting to a bowl.

I also hate that we have to have all 11 guys play perfectly for 10+ plays in a row to score whenever we face above average competition but that's what I've come to expect.

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
6 or 7. I am generally fine with the direction of the program but do think it’s a curious thing that Arkansas and Ole Miss have had a much quicker rise from a lower starting point in many ways.

Granted, just because Pittman and Kiffin were very good hires doesn’t mean that Leach is a bad hire. But they’ve definitely gotten off to better starts. Long term I guess we will see how it all bears out.

Still sticking by my prediction of 8-4 this year for the time being. I had us losing to either Arizona or LSU when I predicted that.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009

I’d say 6. Maybe my expectations are too low but he have a good season last year in year 2. Id like to see this season play out before I’m ready to tar and feather him.

I think some of you are overreacting to the LSU loss. I agree it’s a game we should have won but it’s not an embarrassing loss by any means. Most teams (not named Alabama and Georgia) are going to struggle to win in Baton Rouge, just historically a hard place to win.

I also think we need to stop talking about how much he’s paid. No matter if his tenure is considered a success or failure here, his pay his market for an SEC job. We are gonna have to pay his replacement that much too.

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
I’d say 6. Maybe my expectations are too low but he have a good season last year in year 2. Id like to see this season play out before I’m ready to tar and feather him.

I think some of you are overreacting to the LSU loss. I agree it’s a game we should have won but it’s not an embarrassing loss by any means. Most teams (not named Alabama and Georgia) are going to struggle to win in Baton Rouge, just historically a hard place to win.

I also think we need to stop talking about how much he’s paid. No matter if his tenure is considered a success or failure here, his pay his market for an SEC job. We are gonna have to pay his replacement that much too.

There has definitely been some folks treating this loss like it was the Memphis loss last year or that this was like losing to a DiNardo or Hallman LSU team. Don’t see that as the case at all. Kelly is a good coach, and they have more talent than we do. That game was always a toss up at best.

Aug 22, 2012

10. We will have at least one season under Leach that is better than any season we've had so far.

DAWGS1.sixpack

Feb 15, 2007
If we go 5-7 with another loss to UM which is now looking very possible, I say cut our losses and move on.
I don’t see next year being much better but the schedule may be a bit easier to get us to 7 wins - maybe?
With that being said, Leach is about a 4 on your scale as of right now.

fang

Nov 29, 2010
Leachs problem is he won’t make obvious adjustments or evolve. The easiest example is we have an explosive playmaker in Tulu who has had 5 touches the last 2 games. And zero rushes on the year. So we may be in the SEC but we aren’t maximizing our ability.

too lazy to search for it but there was a lot of discussion a year (or more) ago on his being too stubborn to use the running game more. That hasn't been the case this year. So the 'problem' of Leach not making adjustments or evolving really isn't. does he do it as quickly as some would like? Probably not.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
C'mon....be real. "13" isn't between "1" and "10"

I'll say "10"***

Last edited:

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
10. We will have at least one season under Leach that is better than any season we've had so far.

We'll have a season with leach better than winning the SECW? Better than being ranked #1 in the playoff poll? That is simply magical thinking.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
We basically run 2 running plays. Same oneswe have run since he got here. This would be like running the tunnel screen 20 times and saying he is adjusting bc he is running that play more than he has in the past.

But committing to a run game is far more than being about attempts.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
5 , I think he's a better coach than that but with the unknowns we're facing ( NIL , Conference scheduling etc) I'm afraid 5 is about all you could give State's program's future under any coach right now til the dust settles and we know more about where all this is headed.

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
7 for now. This team appears to be as good as any team Mullen put together besides ‘14 and ‘15. I was never very impressed with a single receiver Mullen recruited besides maybe Wilson.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login