On jeans page

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
My top candidates - in no order:

Chadwell, we'd have to pay a $20 ish mil dollar buyout plus would want $6 mil +/year , would he come?
Liepold - see above

Tom Herman - likely small buyout and could probably get buy paying him $4 mil. Had success at the highest level, understands how important recruiting is. Would likely jump at the chance to come to Starkvegas.
Clay Helton - see above (plus from the south).

Our program is not near rock bottom (unlike when Croom/Mullen took over), so we shouldn't take the chance on a coordinator. Need someone with HC experience.

Last edited:

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
If we beat Kentucky, Rosey will be back on the water totin'.

But now that things may be in motion, I kinda feel bad. Especially for Bumphis, Hughes, Knox, Mele and Turner. Of course I felt bad for Miller, Spurrier and Hollingshead last year too. Shlt I kinda feel for Barbay and Brock, they didn't really ask for this. And then again......same for Arnett, but I really don't like how he went about things.

I just think this stuff goes beyond football. I don't know exactly what level, but I'm just glad that we already had Jans and Purcell in place. I'm a little worried about what happens there in the future. We all know the instability in baseball. Not sure we have anybody here that will keep the inmates from running the asylum. We really do seem like a smaller Auburn athletics department (before Cohen got there).

Not everybody liked Cohen, I get it, and he wasn't perfect, but the one thing he did was keep everybody accountable in that place.

Last edited:

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
If we beat Kentucky, Rosey will be back on the water totin'.

But now that things may be in motion, I kinda feel bad. Especially for Bumphis, Hughes, Knox, Mele and Turner. Of course I felt bad for Miller, Spurrier and Hollingshead last year too. Shlt I kinda feel for Barbay and Brock, they didn't really ask for this. And then again......same for Arnett, but I really don't like how he went about things.

I just think this stuff goes beyond football. I don't know exactly what level, but I'm just glad that we already had Jans and Purcell in place. I'm a little worried about what happens there in the future. We all know the instability in baseball.

Not everybody liked Cohen, I get it, and he wasn't perfect, but the one thing he did was keep everybody accountable in that department.
For what the HC, DC and OC get paid, you could fire me after a year and I'd manage to smile. The other guys likely understand that being a coach involves a lot of moving around. I'd like to think we could find a way to keep some of the long time guys that have proven over the years to be good for MSU.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Sounds like Selmon has sent a memo to Rosey to try and calm everybody down before the finger pointing and fan division gets any worse. NO WAY Rosey would put that info out there w/out prior release approval from the AD dept. because he knows who his boss er uh source always is

patdog

May 28, 2007
My top candidates - in no order:

Chadwell, we'd have to pay a $20 ish mil dollar buy out plus would want $6 mil +/year , would he come?
Liepold - see above

Tom Herman - likely small buyout and could probably get buy paying him $4 mil. Had sucess at the highest level, understand how important recruiting is. Would likely jump at the chance to come to Starkvegas.
Clay Helton - see above (plus from the south).

Our program is not here rock bottom (unlike when Croom took over and Mullen took over), so we shouldn't take the chance on a coordinator. Need someone with HC experience.
Of those, I'd take Helton. He was probably USC's 2nd best coach (behind Carroll) since John Robinson left in 1982.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Sounds like Selmon has sent a memo to Rosey to try and calm everybody down before the finger pointing and fan division gets any worse. NO WAY Rosey would put that info out there w/out prior release approval from the AD dept. because he knows who his boss er uh source always is
Yep, AD is just hoping and praying at this point that Arnett beats UK and USM and doesn't get the doors blown off by Ole Miss.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Yeah. I basically never believe, or pay attentionto, a word of anything Rosebowl says.

Reactions: Doubledawgblitz

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Of those, I'd take Helton. He was probably USC's 2nd best coach (behind Carroll) since John Robinson left in 1982.
At first glance, I'm like no way. But then I dug a little deeper, and think he may not be a bad idea. He will bring stability and at worst, he's an experienced head guy, which is what we need right now. He has ties all around this area, Houston/Memphis/South Ga. He doing well at Ga Southern, and Lincoln Riley is discovering that something about USC is not right.

Problem is, with a guy like Helton, his ceiling is determined by how good of players we can get in here, i.e. the football culture. I don't know how we solve that part. Which is why I want a system coach.

But assuming an older, more experienced guy with a proven offensive system isn't available, we could do worse.

Reactions: Dawgg and patdog

patdog

May 28, 2007
At first glance, I'm like no way. But then I dug a little deeper, and think he may not be a bad idea. He will bring stability and at worst, he's an experienced head guy, which is what we need right now. He has ties all around this area, Houston/Memphis/South Ga. He doing well at Ga Southern, and Lincoln Riley is discovering that something about USC is not right.

Problem is, with a guy like Helton, his ceiling is determined by how good of players we can get in here, i.e. the football culture. I don't know how we solve that part. Which is why I want a system coach.

But assuming an older, more experienced guy with a proven offensive system isn't available, we could do worse.
My first reaction was the same, until I dug deeper. And right now, I think we need a high-floor guy instead of taking a risk on an unproven coach or a "system" coach who would take 2-3 years to "get his players to run his system." And I think Helton's ceiling is about as high as anyone else we're likely to get anyway.

Reactions: Dawgg

Cdbo

Oct 4, 2023
We don't need a guy like Helton. To be honest we need a coach players want to play for and get the fan base excited. Look what happened when we hired Mullen. A young guy who was considered a top OC. Excitement went up, we filled Davis Wade and he brought hope to our university. You ever wondered why Ole Miss hated Mullen so much? it was because they were afraid of what he was doing for our program. This next hire is very important. If we don't get this right then Kiffin and Ole Miss will continue to dominate on the field and in recruiting and we will fall farther behind

Delmar

Jan 8, 2008
While I hope that’s true, how does that work? How do you call up Jimmy Sexton and tell him you’re looking to can one of his clients and you’d like to talk to some of his other clients?

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
My first reaction was the same, until I dug deeper. And right now, I think we need a high-floor guy instead of taking a risk on an unproven coach or a "system" coach who would take 2-3 years to "get his players to run his system." And I think Helton's ceiling is about as high as anyone else we're likely to get anyway.
On the system, that's why I wish we'd commit to some type of philosophy, and only chase those coaches, so we aren't constantly rebuilding.

So, is everybody off the Gus Bus?
I'm not. He's my first choice. I don't study his record this year at UCF, they are struggling with the Big 12 transition and he's been competitive in every game.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
We don't need a guy like Helton. To be honest we need a coach players want to play for and get the fan base excited. Look what happened when we hired Mullen. A young guy who was considered a top OC. Excitement went up, we filled Davis Wade and he brought hope to our university. You ever wondered why Ole Miss hated Mullen so much? it was because they were afraid of what he was doing for our program. This next hire is very important. If we don't get this right then Kiffin and Ole Miss will continue to dominate on the field and in recruiting and we will fall farther behind
Hahahaha Mullen wasn't no damn players' coach. That was Moorhead, no thanks. We need a hardass, especially with the types of players we typically get.

We do need fire, which is what you're really talking about. How do you know Helton doesn't have that?

Cdbo

Oct 4, 2023
Only if the new coach wants him as DC. That is very unlikely. You never keep the former HC around. the new HC must have complete control over his staff and that includes coaches who once played here and coached here before

Reactions: was21

Cdbo

Oct 4, 2023
Hahahaha Mullen wasn't no damn players' coach. That was Moorhead, no thanks. We need a hardass, especially with the types of players we typically get.

We do need fire, which is what you're really talking about. How do you know Helton doesn't have that?
I was not talking about a players coach. i was saying players who want to play for him because of what he brings to the table.

MrKotter

Aug 22, 2012
While I hope that’s true, how does that work? How do you call up Jimmy Sexton and tell him you’re looking to can one of his clients and you’d like to talk to some of his other clients?
Sexton should be more surprised if he isn't getting word that his boy is potentially getting replaced

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I'd be ok with the Gus bus. I don't know what our budget is, but I'm sure Gus has a decent buyout at UCF and would want $6 mil+. He also may be the top candidate for the Ark job if Titman get's fired.
I found some info on his contract at UCF. Looks like the buyout is only $3.6 Million. I don't know if they went up with his latest contract. He's making $4 Million currently, but it goes to $5.5 Million if he's still there in 2026:

I do think you're right though. I remember him being floated as the next Arkansas coach multiple times since that was 'home' for him.

Chesusdog

May 2, 2006
I'm skeptical considering the source, but then again if Rosey is spreading coach search rumors it's a pretty bad sign for Arnett.

Slow Natives

Nov 10, 2018
I have heard we are in talks with Willie Fritz.
If this ends up being true I’ll actually have a friend who is an insider and my cred should be established :)

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
If this ends up being true I’ll actually have a friend who is an insider and my cred should be established :)
It can't be true. No university can contact a coach under contract unless given permission. That would mean we have already formed a search committee and they have gained permission in mid season. That normally does not happen.

Now, we could very well have reached out to his agent.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I do think you're right though. I remember him being floated as the next Arkansas coach multiple times since that was 'home' for him.
'Home' rarely works out. Plus there is some bad blood there, and I have a pretty good source at Arkansas. I don't think they would go that route (to their detriment).

Reactions: Rhinodawg and Dawgg

ChinaDogSunflower

Aug 26, 2012
I noticed he didn't say which coaches. CZA probably gonna send the coordinators packing to save one more year before ultimately being let go as well

Reactions: patdog

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Would be underwhelming. He had a great year in 2022, but his record at toolame from 2016-2021 is middling.

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
It can't be true. No university can contact a coach under contract unless given permission. That would mean we have already formed a search committee and they have gained permission in mid season. That normally does not happen.

Now, we could very well have reached out to his agent.
It would be true if the coach wasn't coaching at a college. Urban Meyer, Dan Mullen, and Mark Hudspeth come to mind as people who can be spoken to directly. Plus any of the hundreds of NFL position coaches out there.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Would be underwhelming. He had a great year in 2022, but his record at toolame from 2016-2021 is middling.
I'll try and be nice here, but takes like this are so ridiculous. You're only looking at record, with no consideration of the state of the program or how his tenure has really gone from a deeper angle, or for that matter his previous stops.

The only downside to Fritz is his age. Fact.

Reactions: Luka Legend

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
We need someone that has had HC experience. I don't care at what level.

ChinaDogSunflower

Aug 26, 2012
It would be true if the coach wasn't coaching at a college. Urban Meyer, Dan Mullen, and Mark Hudspeth come to mind as people who can be spoken to directly. Plus any of the hundreds of NFL position coaches out there.
Maybe Urban Meyer wants to rehabilitate his image by bringing po' old Miss State to the adult table

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login