On jeans page

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I'll try and be nice here, but takes like this are so ridiculous. You're only looking at record, with no consideration of the state of the program or how his tenure has really gone from a deeper angle, or for that matter his previous stops.

The only downside to Fritz is his age. Fact.
I'm not a expert on Toolame nor Wille, but he went 2-10 in his 6th season there and the previous 5 seasons were very average (he'd never won more than 6 regular season games in his first 5 seasons). His hire would go over like a lead ballon, so I wouldn't be surprised if he hired him.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I'm not a expert on Toolame nor Wille, but he went 2-10 in his 6th season there and the previous 5 seasons were very average (he'd never won more than 6 regular season games in his first 5 seasons). His hire would go over like a lead ballon, so I wouldn't be surprised if he hired him.
Again, if you're going to just spout record with no further examination, I can't help you. That's the problem with our fanbase, we are all so 'surface level'. We're a small program/fanbase and we think we should be doing what bigger programs/fanbases are doing, with no deep dive into why things are truly happening.

beachbumdawg

Nov 28, 2006
Again, if you're going to just spout record with no further examination, I can't help you. That's the problem with our fanbase, we are all so 'surface level'. We're a small program/fanbase and we think we should be doing what bigger programs/fanbases are doing, with no deep dive into why things are truly happening.
I’m with you but if you want to unite the factions, you gotta get someone that will excite the casual fan

the casual fan would look at that hire and say that doesn’t move the needle - it will be a show me attitude

get someone that excites and unifies you get the casual fan onboard and they buy in earlier

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
The only downside to Fritz is his age. Fact.
Counterpoint: All posts about our football program would immediately become Germans, which will get confusing and/or redundant, so something we have to consider before going that direction.

On the other hand, he does a have Mineral Water Bowl championship under his belt and I'm pretty sure we've never had a head coach with that accolade, so that would be a first for us.

Last edited:

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Maybe Urban Meyer wants to rehabilitate his image by bringing po' old Miss State to the adult table
I want to turn my nose up at that and act like I'm too proud to want Urban Meyer as HC... but at this point, a 3 year rehab job for both him and us wouldn't be the worst thing that ever happened to either party. The thing I would worry about with Urban is recruiting and NIL/Transfer Portal. He got out of the college game before NIL and the Transfer Portal really got its foothold and we're seeing some really good coaches struggle to adapt. It's one thing to compare coaches vs coaches, but it's another thing to compare coaches vs cash.

Dogdazey

Nov 16, 2012
I love how we wind up "needing" a new coach every year or two (it seems). I understand Mississippi State isn't a destination job but it its also a SEC job. Its way past time to find someone that fits the program, that fits the South, that fits us financially, that fits our "system", that fits our fanbase, that fits what ever else the board posters determine.

Yet we are Mississippi State. The last or next to last in the SEC in NIL $$$, the bottom tier of paying head coaches. Although there isn't a guy that checks all the above paragraph requirements, if there was, we wouldn't be able to afford him.

Get yourself prepared for several more below .500 years

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
I love how we wind up "needing" a new coach every year or two (it seems). I understand Mississippi State isn't a destination job but it its also a SEC job. Its way past time to find someone that fits the program, that fits the South, that fits us financially, that fits our "system", that fits our fanbase, that fits what ever else the board posters determine.

Yet we are Mississippi State. The last or next to last in the SEC in NIL $$$, the bottom tier of paying head coaches. Although there isn't a guy that checks all the above paragraph requirements, if there was, we wouldn't be able to afford him.

It's not that bad. JWS was here a long time and so was Mullen. The only reason Leach is not here is death.

Reactions: Dawgg

Indndawg

Nov 16, 2005
Steve is saying he has info that there are coaches we have already reached out to or their agent. Take it for what its worth
I think it is and was a done deal after the LSU game. Things can change but insiders know that after the EB beatdown, he's history.

Will Rogers.sixpack

Sep 25, 2022
Of those, I'd take Helton. He was probably USC's 2nd best coach (behind Carroll) since John Robinson left in 1982.
What does he do differently offensively and defensively that the rest of the SEC doesn’t see every week plus at their own practices, except with more talent? Serious question.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Again, I'm no expert, or even novice on Willie or Tulane, so educate me on why you like him over other candidates. Also consider the entire fan base will have be educated on why his record from 2016-2021 is so mediocre.

The average fan, like me, isn't going to dig into his background, they are going to look at his record and say, meh.

For most fans, teams/coaches are who their record says they are.

Last edited:

patdog

May 28, 2007

We didn't need another coach for 8 years with Mullen. And if Leach hadn't passed way too soon, we wouldn't need one now or for the next several years. Get the right coach and he'll be here for a while.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
What does he do differently offensively and defensively that the rest of the SEC doesn’t see every week plus at their own practices, except with more talent? Serious question.
Modified AR. Bryan Ellis is his OC. Current split on Pass/Run: 378/246

patdog

May 28, 2007
I hate to break it to you, but there's not much new under the sun. Defenses have seen pretty much everything there is to see offensively. Mullen wasn't doing anything a lot of other coaches weren't doing. Even Leach with the Air Raid was nothing new by the time he got to Mississippi State. You're not going to consistently out-innovate and trick SEC coaches for long. What matters is how well you recruit and execute what you do.

Last edited:

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I don't have any name, but I would have to hope in light of the way the way things have happened this year, our Athletic Director has started putting some feelers out, or at least begun talking with some people and trying to find out who is interested. I hope he doesn't wait till after the Egg Bowl to start. Unless we have a miracle, something is probably going to happen and I'll be very disappointed to know we haven't started some homework. The only issue is, that I've only heard of a few Athletic Directors we have had in the past who have been that proactive

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012

I don't think that is true.

So, if I look back at my lifetime (1980-today):

Bellard was here for 7 seasons.

Felker was here for 5 seasons and stayed around as part of the program for decades.

Sherrill was at State for 13 seasons.

Croom was here for 5 seasons. Not sure where he ranked for his whole tenure, but by the end of his career, he was making the same as Steve Spurrier and Houston Nutt and had a whopping ... 1 winning season. In any case, his career ended before the SEC coach salary arms race kicked into high gear.

Mullen was here for 9 seasons and ended his tenure at State as one of the higher paid head coaches in the conference and if he had stayed, he would have been one of the top paid in the nation. Dan's issue was that he wanted a top 10 job nationally from the moment he stepped onto campus and I suppose he got it.

Moorhead was a bust and was gone after 2 seasons. He was offered a lower salary because of his inexperience as a head coach, not because the money wasn't there. If Moorhead hadn't let the inmates run the asylum, I didn't get the impression he was out shopping himself around day 1 like Mullen.

Leach would have retired at State. When he died, he was making $5.5 Million and his salary ranked like 5th or 6th in the conference.

Arnett is the lowest paid head coach in the SEC today. He's also a first time head coach. Every other coach in the SEC, except Clark Lea (who only makes $50,000 more than Arnett), was either a proven head coach at another school or has had a contract extension that significantly boosted their salary. Unless something changes like yesterday, he won't see that contract extension payday.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I hate to break it to you, but there's not much new under the sun. Defenses have seen pretty much everything there is to see offensively. Mullen wasn't doing anything a lot of other coaches weren't doing. Even Leach with the Air Raid was nothing new by the time he got to Mississippi State. You're not going to consistently out-innovate and trick SEC coaches for long. What matters is how well you recruit and execute what you do.
Leach won on execution. Simple. Offense should always have an advantage unless you make it so complex that they are just as uncertain about what they are doing as the defense. I think this was the genius of Leach. He just needed guys who could execute consistently and he drilled it in via repetition. It is also why the offense looks bad when player(s) have an off day.

wdawg44

Jun 4, 2014
Leach won on execution. Simple. Offense should always have an advantage unless you make it so complex that they are just as uncertain about what they are doing as the defense. I think this was the genius of Leach. He just needed guys who could execute consistently and he drilled it in via repetition. It is also why the offense looks bad when player(s) have an off day.
I believe this was #1 on Leach's list that he bestowed upon Arnette.

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
I do. I think JoeMo's lack of P5 experience is part of what sank his ship.
JoMo's problem wasn't that he lacked P5 experience. It was and is that he is not a good head football coach. His record proves that. The only time in his entire career as an HC where he had success was at Fordham, but at Fordham his was the only team in their conference who offered full football scholarships.

He & Fordham got that advantage by agreeing to not have any claim to conference championships unless and until the other Patriot League teams also moved to scholarships. Joe @ Fordham had a 2-year head start on that, which is why, in his first two years there their conference record was officially 0-0.

His only conference title was in 2014, the first year Fordham was eligible because other league schools voted to allow football scholarships. Joe was playing with 3 years of his own scholarship recruits against schools who were just beginning to offer them.

Believe it or not, his stint at State has been his best record as a HC when he has played against conference teams in which he didn't have a huge advantage. And of course he inherited one of the best, most-talented rosters we have ever had, then proceeded to dismantle our program in a stunningly short period-of-time.

As HC at Akron his first year they went 2-10. So far this year they are 1-7.

Last edited:

Mjoelner

Sep 2, 2006
My friend Coach Norm who posts on here sometimes said the same thing about Chris Peterson at Boise State. When Boise came to play in the Holiday or Poinsettia bowl one year, they used Southwestern College where Norm was an assistant as their home base so he got to go to their bowl practices. He told me they didn't have a player who would sniff the field talent-wise for MSU but what they did have and what Peterson demanded was 100% effort and 100% execution every play.

Reactions: josebrown

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
We need a coach that can take 3* talent and get them to play like 5*. I don’t know who that is but that’s what we need.
Agree. A well coached, highly disciplined and motivated team of the right three stars would be kicking *** in the SEC this year.

ntzdog

Aug 6, 2009
My top candidates - in no order:

Chadwell, we'd have to pay a $20 ish mil dollar buyout plus would want $6 mil +/year , would he come?
Liepold - see above

Tom Herman - likely small buyout and could probably get buy paying him $4 mil. Had success at the highest level, understands how important recruiting is. Would likely jump at the chance to come to Starkvegas.
Clay Helton - see above (plus from the south).

Our program is not near rock bottom (unlike when Croom/Mullen took over), so we shouldn't take the chance on a coordinator. Need someone with HC experience.
What are your thoughts on Chris Klieman at K State?

Will Rogers.sixpack

Sep 25, 2022
I disagree. When Mullen was hired he was extremely different and he he initially resorted to running his the base of his system, being his and Meyer’s unique twist off the single wing. He obviously expanded on it in time with talent, but the base of his system remained. With regard to Mike Leach, yes obviously he was an innovator even moreso than Meyer/Mullen, even the NFL has adopted his concepts. But Leavh was the original that ran his system to the extreme, that was predicated on maximizing inferior talent against better talent. It was still effective but here at first maybe not to its past degree. Last year we won 9 games and was returning a lot of starters, plus we had highly ranked qb’s ect in the waiting. The point is, we will never be able to recruit or by talent at the rate of the rest of the sec, but Leach and Mullen figured out how to minimize the talent gap with execution and a system that wasn’t seen every week.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Here’s what I think happens, not what I hope happens but what I think actually happens. Arnett gets next year even if we lose out. Under the timing of Leach’s death he was the only option irregardless of the fact that he wasn’t ready to be a head coach. This year was essentially a throwaway year, a year zero. Next year will be year one. This year was basically on the job training and he’s got a guarantee somewhere in his pocket. We shall see!

Will Rogers.sixpack

Sep 25, 2022
Modified AR. Bryan Ellis is his OC. Current split on Pass/Run: 378/246
Who or how many in the SEC doesn’t run a modified AR. Likewise, who in the SEC doesn’t have a close pass/run split? What’s different about anything on either side of the ball that would catch more talent off guard in a one week preparation?

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
I’m all for a clean break, but how many top 20 defenses do you think we’ve had the last 20 years?
A few. I would have to Google it but it's not that uncommon. Just me but I don't think having a #46 defense makes me brag on the DC. We had the #1 or #2 in 18. I'm not saying he was bad but nothing to brag about

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login