On side kick recovery replay

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Apparently Anders Carlson tore his ACL on that play. Sucks for the guy to have his college career end trying to recover an onside kick.

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
This is why there is only one proper way to onside. Kick it to the side, in the ground, and pop that sucker up in the air. None of this, lets run our kicker straight forward and fall on the ball. That is just crazy.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
This is why there is only one proper way to onside. Kick it to the side, in the ground, and pop that sucker up in the air. None of this, lets run our kicker straight forward and fall on the ball. That is just crazy.
Yeah the only way that onside kick works that Auburn tries works is if the receiving team isn’t expecting it.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
I wouldn’t be surprised if the NCAA outlawed that style of onside kick in the future for safety reasons. 22 guys all flying to one spot and diving headlong into each other trying to recover the ball seems like an injury waiting to happen.

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
One of only a handful of times I think I might have had a concussion was during an unexpected onside kick. I emphasize unexpected for we didn't have the hands team out there and it was middle of the 2nd quarter I think. The kicker was facing the other ten all in a block, all of a sudden he turns around and kicks it right at me. All of them running headlong at me. I don't even recall who recovered the ball. All I know is it wasn't me, and I crashed into 11 bodies.

Dawgzilla

Mar 3, 2008

The rules no longer allow kicking teams to bunch their players to one side, and the kicking team cannot initiate contact with a receiving team player until the ball goes 10 yards.

So, that type of kick might work, but you would basically have just 5 players waiting for the ball to bounce up and cross the 45. Meanwhile, the receiving team is free to block those players and grab the ball before it even bounces up.

Aug 22, 2012
When Auburn loses a close game to South Carolina because they don't have a kicker, Harsin and their special teams coach should be rightly skewered. Dumb idea to put your senior kicker at risk like that. Hate it for him. But Jett Johnson is doing what he must.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
I keep watching that gif and still can’t tell, but is the only reason all that contact inside 10 yards was kosher because the collisions were timed perfectly right as the Auburn player came up to grab the ball?

Dawgzilla

Mar 3, 2008
I keep watching that gif and still can’t tell, but is the only reason all that contact inside 10 yards was kosher because the collisions were timed perfectly right as the Auburn player came up to grab the ball?

The State players initiated the contact, so it was okay. But one Auburn player goes flying across the 45 and is rolling on the ground. Don't know what he was trying to do.

I'm hardly a rules expert. The current NCAA rule says no kicking team player can block a receiving team player until the ball travels 10 yards or is touched by a receiving team player. Receiving team players are free to block. I'm not sure what the ruling is if receiving team players jump in front of the kicking team players and cause a collision.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
You really find out who has Girodos on that kind of play. No hesitation from Johnson & Wheat. Peters kind of flinches at the last second.

13 and 47 for Auburn are like - yeah, I'm going to run up here and watch. But the guy to the kicker's left comes through like he was shot out of a gun. The guy to his left stops almost as soon as he starts.

Villagedawg

Nov 16, 2005
It's already outlawed in high school and might as well be in NCAA.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the NCAA outlawed that style of onside kick in the future for safety reasons. 22 guys all flying to one spot and diving headlong into each other trying to recover the ball seems like an injury waiting to happen.

NCAA players have fair catch and kick catch interference protections on "pop up" kicks like that making it, essentially, an outlawed tactic.

Edited to add: I THINK that's the NCAA rule. I know the pop up kick is illegal in HS.

Last edited:

Villagedawg

Nov 16, 2005
Yeah. The restrictions on blocking until you are eligible to touch the ball have been in place for a long time. R is eligible to touch as soon as it's kicked. K is not.

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
NCAA players have fair catch and kick catch interference protections on "pop up" kicks like that making it, essentially, an outlawed tactic.

Edited to add: I THINK that's the NCAA rule. I know the pop up kick is illegal in HS.

I don't believe they can fair catch an onside kick that pops up from the ground, only if the kicker kicks it high off the tee. Maybe I'm wrong, but the onside I am referring to is when the kicker tops the kick about 7 or 8 yards away into the ground and the ball bounces up from the turf making it a jump ball. I don't believe you can fair catch that.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login