OT: 70 years ago Today

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
The greatest that ever was or will be was born in Dallas, Texas. Stevie Ray Vaughan would have been 70 today. It's hard to believe he was only 35 when he died.

I had just moved to Memphis from Charleston SC in 1990 when my Dad took me to my first Memphis in May. I didn't appreciate it then, but we watched Stevie Ray at the Mud Island Amphitheater... Glad I got to see him. I bet there's a few of you who were there as well ( I didn't see Ray Charles who played that year as well though.)

Anyhow, SRV is the goat and any argument otherwise is only made by those with micro weenies and Ole Miss fans. Do yourself a favor and take 10 minutes to watch Stevie blow the doors off El Macambo in Toronto with a live performance of Texas Flood. He famously mixed a quarter ounce of cocaine in with his bottle of crown and drank it to take the edge off, yet keep going. This very much had to be one of those nights... My man was sweating glitter and torching that guitar.

Curby

Aug 23, 2012
Heavy strings, thick blues tone. There was none like SRV.

His style was the reason I loved blues guitar and went back to listen to all the other greats that he drew inspiration from.

Reactions: PooPopsBaldHead

NTDawg

Mar 2, 2012
I saw SRV and Joe Cocker in June 1990 in Jackson. It was a great concert that I enjoyed too much including the after-concert party at Hal and Mals eventually ending up at the Subway to trying to drive home. Not a good ending but the concert was amazing.

Reactions: PooPopsBaldHead
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login