OT: Anniversary Trip Destinations?

giddyup.sixpack

Aug 30, 2012
The wife and I are celebrating 25 years this December. Looking for recommendations on a memorable tropical getaway. We live on the beach in the Panhandle so prefer a non-US based location, maybe Caribbean - Turks, Virgin Islands, Aruba, etc.. Would prefer something a bit private. Maldives and Bora Bora look attractive but the flight is a haul.

Any can't miss spots, resorts/hotels?

AlCoDog

Feb 27, 2008
Windsong Resort in Turks. They have an all inclusive option. Went for our 20th. Will definitely go back.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I stayed at the ritz Carlton in Aruba a few years ago. It’s beautiful and Aruba is a place that you don’t need to feel confined to your hotel or resort. I’d definitely recommend going there. With that said, it is kinda crowded or at least was when I went. I’ve never been but I’ve heard nothing but awesome things about Turks.

DAWGS1.sixpack

Feb 15, 2007
Only ones outside the US I can recommend is The Westin in Cayman Islands, easy to get to, great snorkeling and diving, great food and safe.
Cabo San Lucas MX and the Hilton.
Been a while since there but at the time was awesome and felt safe. Even rented a jeep and drive up to Todos Santos with a 6 pack of Pacifico. Probably wouldn’t do that now. Great sunset catamaran cruise out to the Arch.
Can’t go wrong with a trip to Hawaii - Honolulu for 2-3 nights and then take a short flight to Maui for 2-3 nights.
Great hotel on Waikiki Beach called Moana Surfrider Hotel. Think laying on beach looking up at a palm tree that curves outward and then up and great waves in the ocean.
In Maui there is so many great options and the drive on Road to Hana is phenomenal as is the drive up to watch sunrise on top Haleakala Park.
All I got.

1msucub

Oct 3, 2004
1. Arkabutla Lake. You’re welcome.
2. Congrats on the 25th….that’s an accomplishment. I’ve only got you by a couple of months.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Sardinia or Santorini. It's after August so the influx of Italian and Greek locals will be minimal.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
We had our 25th in July but inflation and my bad luck with health issues is going to make us wait till next year to do something. We just want a tiny house or duplex right near the beach as far away from the crowds as we can get. I actually found a spot way down toward Ft Morgan on the sea side. I just want to throw a spoon or jig while the wife bakes to medium rare in the sun.

harrybollocks

Oct 11, 2012
Santorini with fewer tourists, yes. Greece is a third-world country with antiques, but those antiques are cool so Greece is worth visiting. Never been to Sardinia. Europe's beaches and some port cities are nice with lots of interesting things to see, but the actual beaches aren't better, often much worse, than what you'll find in places like Perdido.

Last edited:

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Yeah. Mediterranean beaches suck compared to Destin. I'm not a "laying on the beach" guy when we do go to the beach. I want to do everything else. 2 solid hours on the beach and I'm ready to go.

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
You live on the beach, go somewhere else. Ravos rail through South Africa. India Pacific across Australia. Dubai. Anything but what you see every day.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Poundtown**

Hawaii is always nice and you have all amenities not really have to worry about crime as much as visiting some of the non American islands.

MS-halfstep

Jun 27, 2015
Equatorial Guinea

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Just be careful with anything in the Caribbean just because hurricane season is ramping up. You are going in December but if you book something your destination could get flattened

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Petit St Vincent. We went for our honeymoon years ago and you can go all day without seeing another person.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
You live on the beach, go somewhere else. ... Anything but what you see every day.

WTF?

That's like saying: "You have a wife you get to see naked anytime you want. No need to see any more naked women.. You should check out some naked dudes."

harrybollocks

Oct 11, 2012
Italy: Rome, Sorrento, Florence

The wife and I are celebrating 25 years this December. Looking for recommendations on a memorable tropical getaway. We live on the beach in the Panhandle so prefer a non-US based location, maybe Caribbean - Turks, Virgin Islands, Aruba, etc.. Would prefer something a bit private. Maldives and Bora Bora look attractive but the flight is a haul.

Any can't miss spots, resorts/hotels?

You'll like Sorrento (try some lemoncello) it does have a beach, but not what we're used to. Wife is gonna love those views and shops. Go to Capri, Blue Grotto, day trip to Pompeii. Florence and Rome have a lot to do and let wife can break out the credit card everywhere y'all go. Those places are close enough to each other that you don't have to spend much time on a train (high speed) or in a car. Not a beach guy but you can get some time at beaches where you don't have to just lay in the sun. Italy gives you antiquity to the present and southern European cultural life. No tropical island can do that. She'll like the wine and Italian beer is underrated. Menabrea is good. Don't even worry about whether you'll get good food.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Just be careful with anything in the Caribbean just because hurricane season is ramping up. You are going in December but if you book something your destination could get flattened

I wouldn't worry about hurricanes in December but you might want to check out sea weed issues. A lot of resort areas in the Caribbean have to deal with awful seaweed. Told somebody about a place in Dominican Republic we went to a long time ago, and apparently in 2016 (I think; may be off a year or two either way), they started having serious sea weed problems. Went from being very occasional to essentially a good chunk of each year the beach is basically unusable. I think you'll probably be fine in December, but definitely worth looking into.

Ingomardawg

Oct 1, 2018
1. Zihuatenejo - check out Aura Del Mar hotel, eat your special meal at Tentaciones
2. Venice, Italy
3. Paris - Versailles, Giverny, Moulin Rouge, dinner cruise on Seine, excursion to Normandy

SwampDawg

Feb 24, 2008
Another vote for Santorini. We were there about 3 years ago. Fantastic. Tip: Take a lot of American dollars. When we were there if you paid cash for anything it was a lot cheaper. They locals are taxed big time on declared income and lots of cash goes under the table.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
That's not what I meant. No hurricanes in December. But between now and October any of those carribean destinations could get one and destroy the resorts and you wouldn't have a place to go too.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
That's not what I meant. No hurricanes in December. But between now and October any of those carribean destinations could get one and destroy the resorts and you wouldn't have a place to go too.

Sorry, I understood what you meant but didn't really explain what I meant. I intended to say I wouldn't worry because you'll have enough notice to find an alternative. But I guess that may not be entirely accurate as there are sometimes big storms in November, and at that point you could at least be scrambling.

Still, any storm wiping out the place you have reservations at is pretty unlikely. Obviously it happens to people every few years, but that's still a tiny percentage of the people that go there.

Kenny.sixpack

Aug 23, 2021
We also live in panhandle and the best vacation we've taken so far was to Guana Island on our 20th. We went in July since that is their off season and we were the only people on the Island. The total capacity is only 35 guests anyway. It's a great getaway where you feel private. All meals were inclusive and the staff was top notch on service. We stayed in the North Beach Villa. There isn't any other accommodations near it so you've got a beach to yourself. There is a bell along the path to it that the staff will ring before approaching.

Jul 5, 2020
We don't usually do all-inclusive places when we travel, but we went to Beloved Playa Mujeres (Cancun) in June and it was really great. The place is secluded, the food (which is the weak point in all of these places) was serviceable and even had a decent steak at their steakhouse, booze was booze, and the service was top notch.

We ordered room service at midnight on our second night, and it took 15 minutes. We got an apology and free 20 minute massage because they felt it was too slow.

If you feel a little more adventurous, I would check out Sayulita, Nayarit, MX. It's a 45 minute shuttle north of Puerto Vallarta, and it's worth it. Former hippie surfing enclave/Mexican fishing village that is now a robust tourist locale while still feeling authentically Mexican. I speak wounded Spanish, and most people speak decent English or will humor you if you want to speak Spanish. DM me and I can give you recommendations.

peewee.sixpack

Nov 4, 2014
If you want visit great beaches, and have a true Caribbean experience I suggest Vieques, PR. Stay at the Hacienda Tamarindo, visit Crab Island Rum distillery, snorkel on mosquito pier and Playa Punta Arenas beach. There are numerous local restaurants that have great food. Take a biobay tour in Bahia Bioluminescent bay and watch the water glow as you kayak through it (absolutely amazing). I believe it is the brightest bioluminescent bay in the world. You can take a horseback tour, visit a black sand beach, and typically find a beach with very few folks on it and have your own personal beach. I had to work there for 60 days, made some great friends but it has become my favorite place I have visited. Took my family there in 2019 and we loved it. We may go back next summer.

GulfDawg

May 15, 2021
St. Maarten. The island is 1/2 Dutch and 1/2 French. Stay on the Dutch side. Tons of great restaurants and nightlife in the Simpson Bay and Maho areas. Beaches are great all over the island. Rent a car and explore. French side has the best cuisine in the Caribbean. Several great resorts on Dutch side but I would recommend the Sonesta properties or Royal Palm. If you want something more unique and smaller try Mary's Boon resort. If you want extremely high end then stay at La Samanna on the French side. I would not recommend an all inclusive in St. Maarten as there is too much to see and do around the island.

CountryHouse

Apr 22, 2022
Petit St. Vincent is the correct answer if privacy is important. It’s a once in a lifetime kind of trip.

Little Dix Bay in BVI is also a sweet getaway.

giddyup.sixpack

Aug 30, 2012
Thanks Fellas

A number of great suggestions.

Santorini has always been on the list as well as the Virgin Islands. Petit St. Vinent seems to be along the lines of what we're looking for.

We've been to Rome and Florence a few times. Love the wine, food, people, history but looking for a new adventure. The plan is to go in Feb or Mar so the hurricanes in the Caribbean are a non-factor.

We've been to Cabo once when the wife was 6 months pregnant so that's a possibility.

I was born and raised in Meridian so of course the Noxapater suggestion pulls at the ole heart strings. May be a hard one to pass up.....

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
A number of great suggestions.

Santorini has always been on the list as well as the Virgin Islands. Petit St. Vinent seems to be along the lines of what we're looking for.

We've been to Rome and Florence a few times. Love the wine, food, people, history but looking for a new adventure. The plan is to go in Feb or Mar so the hurricanes in the Caribbean are a non-factor.

We've been to Cabo once when the wife was 6 months pregnant so that's a possibility.

I was born and raised in Meridian so of course the Noxapater suggestion pulls at the ole heart strings. May be a hard one to pass up.....

So, I was looking and apparently they have Air conditioning in the rooms now. They did not have this when I was there. The doors slide all the way open and the breezes flow through the villas. They still do not have wifi or TVs though.

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021
Kauai ——it’s more than beaches and you can drive /explore without being knifed by the natives. I don’t really understand why you would go to an all inclusive island behind a wall

bruiser.sixpack

Aug 13, 2009
Birmingham or Memphis are great that time of year. And there is a great chance you might catch the Bulldogs in a Bowl Game in either one this year! The perfect end to a perfect 25th!

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Kauai ——it’s more than beaches and you can drive /explore without being knifed by the natives. I don’t really understand why you would go to an all inclusive island behind a wall

It is very freeing to not have to walk around with a wallet or think about anything or do anything. Want food, ask for it. Want a drink, ask for it. Your complicated decision is whether to go to the pool or beach and even if you 17 that decision up somehow, you just walk a minute or two and you have corrected it. As someone mentioned, teh food is usually pretty mediocre, but that's a decent enough tradeoff. I don't have to travel to get nice food, so I don't mind mediocre food for a little while. Definitely not something I would care to do all the time and not in place of actually going and experiencing new things, but it's a nice experience every few years.

Got to do an all inclusive between jobs one time, and it was glorious. Probably won't experience a lack of stress like that again unless and until I retire.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login