OT: Another Jackson MS crime story

Status
Not open for further replies.

SwampDawg

Feb 24, 2008
They have a job. Standing on the corners of the frontage roads asking for money is a full-time job for a lot of them. It would probably be depressing if we knew what they're making on an hourly basis, tax-free.

My son lived in a nice neighborhood in Memphis, but only a couple of blocks from a not so nice area. Every morning he would see 3 or 4 adults walking from their rental house toward a nearby busy street. They would stand there asking for money then walk back home.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
I think any friction you can create helps. Its easier to go to the neighborhood without them. But I’ve also been told studies show they dont help. They already have cameras at the entrances.

I think they have worked on this for a long time. Its not something they just did as reactionary

Last edited by a moderator:

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
The Jackson police dept has its problems. But by far the bigger problem is the DA and the judges. A friend of mine is on the force, and they routinely arrest really bad guys only to see them back on the streets the next day.
I've often wondered what goes through the minds of people like that DA and those judges. Do they enjoy creating a more unsafe city? Do they not believe that, at some point, THEY THEMSELVES might be victim of a violent crime perpetrated by one of the people they help release? It's like it's a mental illness or something, they way these folks (in most all cases, very liberal) see crime. You have to be hard on it. Any weakness will just be taken advantage of quickly.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
^^^ If you don't believe this start taking a minute and reading the "rap sheets" of the perps currently committing crimes in Jackson. Most of this problem ain't on JPD.

Last edited:

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Havent heard of this, for sure will now look into it since its on my radar, and I have 0 interest in living in a place where this is frequent.

Stay and fix the problem or leave and go where there is no problem- Both solutions have their merit and I wouldnt disagree with someone regardless of what they choose. This seems like staying and fixing would end up as a failure though.

Mostly in depressed areas with little law enforcement, communities that don't want to get involved and high number of rental properties (that stay vacant for long periods). Jxn fits the bill nicely.

dudehead

Jul 9, 2006
I've often wondered what goes through the minds of people like that DA and those judges. Do they enjoy creating a more unsafe city? Do they not believe that, at some point, THEY THEMSELVES might be victim of a violent crime perpetrated by one of the people they help release? It's like it's a mental illness or something, they way these folks (in most all cases, very liberal) see crime. You have to be hard on it. Any weakness will just be taken advantage of quickly.

Sometimes it's county budgets. Incarceration ain't cheap, particularly when you consider the medical care of the incarcerated. And Joe Taxpayer damn sure doesn't like paying taxes to provide health care to the accused. Maybe the next big story of Mississippi Today could be about that.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Sometimes it's county budgets. Incarceration ain't cheap, particularly when you consider the medical care of the incarcerated. And Joe Taxpayer damn sure doesn't like paying taxes to provide health care to the accused. Maybe the next big story of Mississippi Today could be about that.
We're talking violent offenders here. It's hard to imagine how damn near 99% of society can't agree on locking up violent offenders and throwing away the key (the other 1% being the criminals themselves). No one wants to be assaulted, raped, shot, beaten, trafficked or killed.

Minor drug offenders and the like? Yeah, I'm with you.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

The judges often just want to get re-elected. If a Judge in hinds County starts throwing "good kids" in jail for significant period of time, they are going to be vulnerable in the next election.

Now the prosecutors that just don't prosecute violent crime, I think some, like Bouidin, are just committed radicals. They actuallyk want to burn everything to the ground, which is understandable given his background. But a lot of others I think are just idiots and get to feel like they are fighting for a cause by not prosecuting violent crime and are more or less insulated from teh consequences. Even in places going to ****, the risk to any one affluent person is still pretty low. So those prosecutors may be doubling or tripling their risk of crime, but it may go from 1 in a thousand to 3 in a thousand, while the poor people in the area that have their risk tripled or quintupled or whatever are starting from a much higher risk to begin with.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Exactly. They destroy a $4,000 a/c unit for $40 worth of copper.

And it takes more than one person and more than a couple of hours work to scout it, steal it, and fence it. They put in a lot of work to have to avoid working, and cause a lot of damage along the way.

dudehead

Jul 9, 2006
We're talking violent offenders here. It's hard to imagine how damn near 99% of society can't agree on locking up violent offenders and throwing away the key (the other 1% being the criminals themselves). No one wants to be assaulted, raped, shot, beaten, trafficked or killed.

Minor drug offenders and the like? Yeah, I'm with you.

I think we need to look at who is being locked up and who ain't. A good friend of mine is a MS circuit judge and he says the system capacity problem is real.

I'm willing to pay taxes to lock their *** up. I'm also willing to pay taxes to institutionalize the seriously mentally ill too. But most MS folk don't want to pay more taxes to do that. So, the dealers, gang bangers, addicts, and crazies are amongst us as we peruse the convenience store, liquor store, and our public parks and museums.

ps. I just heard someone rip off about 8 or 9 rounds probably 4 or 5 blocks from my office. Oh the peaceful sounds of small town Mississippi in late spring...

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I think we need to look at who is being locked up and who ain't. A good friend of mine is a MS circuit judge and he says the system capacity problem is real.

I'm willing to pay taxes to lock their *** up. I'm also willing to pay taxes to institutionalize the seriously mentally ill too. But most MS folk don't want to pay more taxes to do that. So, the dealers, gang bangers, addicts, and crazies are amongst us as we peruse the convenience store, liquor store, and our public parks and museums.

ps. I just heard someone rip off about 8 or 9 rounds probably 4 or 5 blocks from my office. Oh the peaceful sounds of small town Mississippi in late spring...

It probably be cheaper to mass institutionalize the seriously mentally ill, but due to court court decisions and do gooders over the past 40 years the trend is to house them in residential areas or group homes. There are two group homes in Kilmichael that house 16 residents, there is full time housekeeping, maintenance and medical staff allocated to these 16 residents, no telling what that costs the state, but likley far cheaper to do like the old days and lock them up in a giant institution (for those who don't have family that is willing or can care for them).

BoomBoom.sixpack

Aug 22, 2012

I doubt your premise is true. I think if we looked at statistics, and not anecdotes, we'd find Jackson and similar are putting putting away criminals as much as they have the resources to do so, with the exception of resources diverted to drug prohibition.

I also wonder how many of the peeps we here anecdotes about, are freed because they snitched. It's not like they'd tell us. I highly suspect the cops care more about their next bust than locking away the true worst criminals.

Maroonthirteen

Aug 22, 2012
Yup. If I were a policeman, no way I would put myself in danger to arrest a violent criminal knowing that the criminal will be out on the street in a week, probably have another year or two (or more?) before he has to go to trial, and then get a light sentence anyway.

That is if you even get a prosecution for the crime. It's becoming increasingly difficult to find witnesses to cooperate. Most people now a days will tell a detective to 17 off and slam the door before "snitching".

msu84grad

Aug 23, 2012
I moved six months ago from a NE Jackson neighborhood where I had grown up and lived for 47 years. When my father passed away I took the chance to get out of there. If it were not for the neighborhood patrol that the homeowners association pays for I would suspect that there would be a lack of exterior mechanical units there now. I'm more worried about selling the house once the real bad part of the recession drops in.

Len2003

May 13, 2018
Nearly every major city has an issue with crime. Can't really completely get rid of that.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

It's not just unwillingness to pay taxes that shut down mental institutions. The institutions tended to be pretty awful with a lot of abuses. Of course, nobody considered the question of whether it was better than the alternative of them living in the streets, although in fairness that's probably a mixed bag. Some of them probably are happier on the streets and don't cause problems other than nuisance type stuff. Others would be better off in an institution and it would make people safer in general.

BoomBoom.sixpack

Aug 22, 2012
It's not just unwillingness to pay taxes that shut down mental institutions. The institutions tended to be pretty awful with a lot of abuses. Of course, nobody considered the question of whether it was better than the alternative of them living in the streets, although in fairness that's probably a mixed bag. Some of them probably are happier on the streets and don't cause problems other than nuisance type stuff. Others would be better off in an institution and it would make people safer in general.

And let's not forget that Reagan famously shut down the Federal facilities under the assumption that the states would pick up the slack....and they didn't.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
I doubt your premise is true. I think if we looked at statistics, and not anecdotes, we'd find Jackson and similar are putting putting away criminals as much as they have the resources to do so, with the exception of resources diverted to drug prohibition.

I also wonder how many of the peeps we here anecdotes about, are freed because they snitched. It's not like they'd tell us. I highly suspect the cops care more about their next bust than locking away the true worst criminals.

Makes you wonder exactly how many people some want imprisoned. As it is, Mississippi locks up the second most citizens (trailing only Louisiana). The USA as a country imprisons BY far the highest percentage of citizens by country.

Last edited:

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012

Good input here. I've been involved with some veteran homeless outreach, turns out many are homeless by choice. They get VA and SSA disability, fed for free much of the time and like be able to pick up and go when it suits them. Living out of a tent frees up a lot of money for sex and drugs.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Makes you wonder exactly how many people some want imprisoned. As it is, Mississippi locks up the second most citizens (trailing only Louisiana). The USA as a country imprisons BY far the highest percentage of citizens by country.
We are also the 'free-est', richest, and most advanced (as far as actually catching and prosecuting people who commit crimes) in the world. The free part opens up bigger possibility for people to commit crimes, because well, people are people. Richest gives more targets. The latter is self-explanatory, we have more resources to fight crime. So it makes sense that we lock up the most people, it's a by-product. Not some agenda.

As far as how many people want imprisoned, I can speak for me - all violent offenders. I don't see where it's debatable. Again, no one wants to be physically harmed. People want to be safe.

If you don't want that, there are plenty of places you can travel to and get your adrenaline rush. Medellin would be glad to have you (and your money).

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
We are also the 'free-est', richest, and most advanced (as far as actually catching and prosecuting people who commit crimes) in the world. The free part opens up bigger possibility for people to commit crimes, because well, people are people. Richest gives more targets. The latter is self-explanatory, we have more resources to fight crime. So it makes sense that we lock up the most people, it's a by-product. Not some agenda.

As far as how many people want imprisoned, I can speak for me - all violent offenders. I don't see where it's debatable. Again, no one wants to be physically harmed. People want to be safe.

If you don't want that, there are plenty of places you can travel to and get your adrenaline rush. Medellin would be glad to have you (and your money).

That's an adorable fairy tale you're telling yourself, there.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Good input here. I've been involved with some veteran homeless outreach, turns out many are homeless by choice. They get VA and SSA disability, fed for free much of the time and like be able to pick up and go when it suits them. Living out of a tent frees up a lot of money for sex and drugs.

Yea, I'm not sure how common it is, but that's consistent with what I've been told by one of our local outreaches. Guy said they have some of all types. Some drug addicts, some mentally ill, but some that just are "weird" and don't like regular society. They have a community and that (and some occasional money) is all they need. Said if you sat and talked with them at their encampment (which he said they mostly wouldn't allow anybody to do, but they let him do it), they would seem relatively normal if you ignore their appearance, chatting with each other about their family, past, what's been happening, etc. A teller that was part of the same conversation said one of the homeless guys that regularly came into her branch had like $30k in the bank. Said he'd come in one or two times a week and get $10-$15 out and she thought he lived in a homeless community nearby that was in some woods that were basically a buffer for some railroad tracks.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
That's an adorable fairy tale you're telling yourself, there.
Serious question dorn. Where am I missing the mark? Because from my vantage point, you are in the fairy tale, with an idealist view of the world, as if a criminal will magically reform. My guess is that you're saying the world will never be safe - and I agree. But you asked the question, so my action item would be to rid the country of the violent offenders. Won't discourage future violent offenders, but would rid us of repeat violent offenders.

I've spent years discussing politics with liberal friends here and there, trying to understand their view, but I've never been told I'm living in fairy land, that's certainly a new one. If anything, I'm the cynical one for not seeing the good in people. So they say.

BoomBoom.sixpack

Aug 22, 2012

I really don't think we're anywhere close to the top in convictions. Maybe if you count plea deals and ignore the associated dropped charges? Plea deals also goes to violent criminals, gotta have something to drop to get that sweet plea deal.

At this point I think we'd be far better off just creating two systems, one for violent criminals, and another for drug crimes or other non-violent less serious crimes. Charged with both? Go to the former. Aggressively prosecute and imprison for the former, the opposite for the latter. Don't even house them in the same complexes. So many of the latter go into prison and come out as violent perps for life.

Aug 15, 2011

I think some of these DA's have the mindset that the criminals are the true victims of an oppressive society, and their crimes are them fighting/lashing out against the oppressors which includes law abiding citizens. Those that obey the law are therefore agreeing with and supporting the current "oppressive" system, so if you get mugged you actually deserved it.

Jdog.sixpack

May 15, 2013
The Hinds County DA received substancial funding from George Soros. That should tell you everything you need to know. In addition you have a socialist for a mayor!

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
You make me wonder how many more black people you want to be killed by repeat violent offenders who should already be locked up.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I really don't think we're anywhere close to the top in convictions. Maybe if you count plea deals and ignore the associated dropped charges? Plea deals also goes to violent criminals, gotta have something to drop to get that sweet plea deal.

At this point I think we'd be far better off just creating two systems, one for violent criminals, and another for drug crimes or other non-violent less serious crimes. Charged with both? Go to the former. Aggressively prosecute and imprison for the former, the opposite for the latter. Don't even house them in the same complexes. So many of the latter go into prison and come out as violent perps for life.

I think most places have drug courts, first time offender programs, deferment programs, etc. now, so that at least helps some.

We sort of segregate prisoners based on seriousness of the crime by keeping lesser criminals at county jails or lower security prisons, but we don't do it nearly well enough, especially at the state level. Nobody should be in a place like Parchman or Angola that didn't deliberately with premeditation commit violence against another human. It's somewhat amazing that the de facto sentence to so many crimes is anal rape and that citizens in general just sort of shrug and laugh at it.

I wish they they would tier prisons where at least some prisons did not house prisoners that had engaged in any violence against other prisoners. As cheap as video surveilance is, we should be able to record basically everywhere and determine who actually initiated violence in most situations and move them to the next most dangerous prison level. I also wish it was a baseline expectation that for non-violent crimes, people could pay to be housed in something equivalent of a halfway house, where they kept whatever employment they could but are not allowed to socialize or do anything outside of the halfway house except work. People would complain that it allowed richer people to avoid severe punishment for their crime, but it seems like that would be a decent enough tradeoff if it meant saving the state money to treat other prisoners humanely.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Nearly every major city has an issue with crime. Can't really completely get rid of that.

Every major city have some areas with a crime problem. That's altogether different from a city not having any area without a crime problem. As dangerous as people claim Chicago is, until relatively recently, you could be in the miracle mile area at 2am and be extremely safe (and I think you still are, they have just had some very limited violence spillover and a couple of instances of flash mobs causing problems). And there were (and I assume still are) residential areas where there is basically zero property crime in and huge stretches of the city where you could walk without any real concern. If violence and property crime weren't spilling into northeast jackson and belhaven, fondren, downtown, it wouldn't be different than any other city, and would actually be pretty decent.

BoomBoom.sixpack

Aug 22, 2012
I think most places have drug courts, first time offender programs, deferment programs, etc. now, so that at least helps some.

We sort of segregate prisoners based on seriousness of the crime by keeping lesser criminals at county jails or lower security prisons, but we don't do it nearly well enough, especially at the state level. Nobody should be in a place like Parchman or Angola that didn't deliberately with premeditation commit violence against another human. It's somewhat amazing that the de facto sentence to so many crimes is anal rape and that citizens in general just sort of shrug and laugh at it.

I wish they they would tier prisons where at least some prisons did not house prisoners that had engaged in any violence against other prisoners. As cheap as video surveilance is, we should be able to record basically everywhere and determine who actually initiated violence in most situations and move them to the next most dangerous prison level. I also wish it was a baseline expectation that for non-violent crimes, people could pay to be housed in something equivalent of a halfway house, where they kept whatever employment they could but are not allowed to socialize or do anything outside of the halfway house except work. People would complain that it allowed richer people to avoid severe punishment for their crime, but it seems like that would be a decent enough tradeoff if it meant saving the state money to treat other prisoners humanely.

I think we're mostly on the same page here. Black swan event.

I guess the best we could do here is tie future funding towards meeting these goals, ie no new state fancy facility from Fed dollars unless the state has a credible plan to get to the above.

BoomBoom.sixpack

Aug 22, 2012
Every major city have some areas with a crime problem. That's altogether different from a city not having any area without a crime problem. As dangerous as people claim Chicago is, until relatively recently, you could be in the miracle mile area at 2am and be extremely safe (and I think you still are, they have just had some very limited violence spillover and a couple of instances of flash mobs causing problems). And there were (and I assume still are) residential areas where there is basically zero property crime in and huge stretches of the city where you could walk without any real concern. If violence and property crime weren't spilling into northeast jackson and belhaven, fondren, downtown, it wouldn't be different than any other city, and would actually be pretty decent.

When I moved to the coast, this was a culture shock for me. As a native Jacksonian, I know that an area only a few blocks from the ghetto is going to have problems. Not safe to walk, property crime, etc. But somehow this isn't an issue on the coast. You can be 3 blocks from the projects where every building has bars on every window, and it be a normal suburban neighborhood with no problems. I still find it weird.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
When I moved to the coast, this was a culture shock for me. As a native Jacksonian, I know that an area only a few blocks from the ghetto is going to have problems. Not safe to walk, property crime, etc. But somehow this isn't an issue on the coast. You can be 3 blocks from the projects where every building has bars on every window, and it be a normal suburban neighborhood with no problems. I still find it weird.

I think part of the reason the nice and not nice areas on the coast are not separated as much is because of the water. In Jackson, if you move 20-30 minutes out of Jackson, the commute sucks, but you're not giving up a ton. On the coast, you give up the water. And not only that, but because of all the land with water access on either the back bay or river or the beach, you have a lot of areas spread out that have an anchor to keep nice houses there. Even if some less desirable places show up nearby, you aren't going to leave the water because of it (or alternatively you're not going to let it scare you off from buying/building on the water). But that doesn't explain why they don't have property crime. I honestly just assumed they did have to deal with property crime and that the "bad" places near nice housing were not really the bad places where people were getting shot or shooting others. But now that you mention it I've never heard any of my friends on the coast complain about property crime either.

Palos verdes

Aug 22, 2012
That's the problem right there. You know rentals in Jackson aren't going to be in great areas. And "NE Jackson" means nothing anymore, only Highland Village and Eastover are nice now. That whole area around the old golf course up to Northpark has gone down.

But to answer your question - no - it happens everywhere.

NE Jackson has taken a big huge plunge, but it didn't happen overnight, it took 20-25 years and is currently in the budding stage of becoming a full blown ghetto. Can you imagine NE Jackson in 20 years from now? West Jackson could resemble some sort of post apocalyptic frontier where nature returned to reclaim the landscape.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
NE Jackson has taken a big huge plunge, but it didn't happen overnight, it took 20-25 years and is currently in the budding stage of becoming a full blown ghetto. Can you imagine NE Jackson in 20 years from now? West Jackson could resemble some sort of post apocalyptic frontier where nature returned to reclaim the landscape.

Do you think folks will start abandoning the Eastover area? Unlike Belhaven/Fondren, Eastover has probably more of a republican lean and more money; therefore, possibly making it more likely those residents may leave for a safer area. Proximity to River Hills is likely important to many Eastover folks, I wonder if a high-end club like that will get built in the burbs?

patdog

May 28, 2007
Anything inside the city limits days are numbered. 20 years from now, Eastover won't be anything like what it is now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login