OT: Another storm gonna whack FL

MtNittany

Oct 12, 2021
Yes. That's why angle of approach and actual landfall location are huge. Tampa needs landfall south of them so the wind isn't piling water into the bay
Talking to my friend (PSUer) on Longboat Key yesterday. He's seen the bays empty and people walk out on them when the storm winds blow to the west. Unfortunately, that ain't happening and there's an endless source of water to toss on the mainland.

Reactions: PSU87 and Tgar

PSU87

Oct 12, 2021
I don't remember many west to east storms crossing FL. Lots of east to west ones though. Parts of the west coast are going to get battered. Again. But the east coast could see 90 mph winds. Everything is backwards. The bad/good side of the storm is reversed for the east coast.
Ian in 2022, Charley in 2004, Wilma in 2005 come to mind.

PSU87

Oct 12, 2021
I can’t imagine having to evacuate all the time. I sure hope Fl does not get hit too bad.
"All the time" depends a lot on where in FL. I've lived 2 blocks from the ocean for 20 years, and have evacuated 4 times (2 of them in one year, 2004).
Until Nicole hit in 2022, the last landfalling hurricane on the East Coast of Florida was Katrina in 2005. That's 16 years without a hit, and Nicole was a glorified tropical storm.

Tampa hasn't been hit by a major hurricane since 1921. My in laws in St Pete are evacuating for Milton making it only the 2nd time in 20 years they've evacuated.

SW FL and Pandhandle ate a different story...

bdgan

Oct 12, 2021
Latest Euro Model. Landfall should be Thursday morning. Be on your toes and make your preps PSU Floridians.

What happened to hurricanes coming up the east coast? These days they all seem to be in the gulf.

GreggK

May 25, 2022
I had a question for all of the "experts" on the board. And yes, I put quotes on there damnit.

From looking at the origin of Milton, it seems it actually formed in the Gulf of Mexico rather than in the Atlantic like most Hurricanes I have paid attention to do. How typical is it that a Hurricane comes from that direction rather than from the Atlantic? Or did it in fact originate in the Atlantic as a smaller storm and just grow in the gulf?

PSU87

Oct 12, 2021
I had a question for all of the "experts" on the board. And yes, I put quotes on there damnit.

From looking at the origin of Milton, it seems it actually formed in the Gulf of Mexico rather than in the Atlantic like most Hurricanes I have paid attention to do. How typical is it that a Hurricane comes from that direction rather than from the Atlantic? Or did it in fact originate in the Atlantic as a smaller storm and just grow in the gulf?
Very typical. Early season, most hurricanes develop coming off the coast of Africa. Late season activity shifts more to the Gulf

GreggK

May 25, 2022
Very typical. Early season, most hurricanes develop coming off the coast of Africa. Late season activity shifts more to the Gulf

Got it. As someone who lives in NJ, I tend to pay attention to the Atlantic ones more much I guess.
Thanks for the reply!

Reactions: PSU87

Latest posts

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login