OT: Automobile Shopping

Bulldawg56

Mar 3, 2008
Car Gurus is a great website to shop around and search for what’s available within a given radius and whatever parameters you filter.

jdbulldog

Oct 27, 2007
consumerreports.org

subscription based but has great information on any truck you like; great side by side comparisons as well along with road test results

motortrend.com is free and has reviews of all vehicles

Reactions: patdog

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Jessnjo L Lbe Up GIF

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
I’m beginning to start researching my next vehicle. It’s honestly a crap shoot with any manufacturer. They have become so complicated and so expensive yet the quality has fallen in all brands.
We’re starting to find this out with my wife’s car. She got a used Acura MDX a few years back, and we love the car itself. However, it’s been one thing after another with the computer, sensors, etc.

We were on our way back from a trip last week, and at some point when she clicked the cruise control button, all of a sudden the transmission stopped shifting. Thankfully, after pulling over and re-starting the car, the problem fixed itself, but never in my life did I think that a car’s trouble-shooting guide would include “Have you tried re-starting it?” Well, here we are

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
We’re starting to find this out with my wife’s car. She got a used Acura MDX a few years back, and we love the car itself. However, it’s been one thing after another with the computer, sensors, etc.

We were on our way back from a trip last week, and at some point when she clicked the cruise control button, all of a sudden the transmission stopped shifting. Thankfully, after pulling over and re-starting the car, the problem fixed itself, but never in my life did I think that a car’s trouble-shooting guide would include “Have you tried re-starting it?” Well, here we are
I've told my wife and kids if I ever code out and flat line in the hospital to just turn off the machines and reboot and see what happens because thats the first thing our IT dept always tells us to do when something goes haywire with electronics around here

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
I’m beginning to start researching my next vehicle. It’s honestly a crap shoot with any manufacturer. They have become so complicated and so expensive yet the quality has fallen in all brands.
Look closely at data on specific engines, transmissions, and option packages. Don’t buy a new engine/trans type, there’s no reliability data to review. Those components are what can make good or bad vehicles in the same make/model.
The EPA have manufacturers constantly changing powertrains to meet ridiculous CAFE specs.

MSUDAWGFAN

Apr 17, 2014
No matter what you buy - it's illegal for a car dealer to require you to buy additional crap (and it is complete crap) like theft protection or paint protection that you will NEVER get any benefit from. Requiring the purchase of one product contingent on another product is called "Tied selling" and it has been illegal since the Clayton Act was passed in the mid 1910's, long before even the model T. It says it right there on the FTC website that it's illegal and always has been.

If they try that, tell them you are going to report them to the FTC and your state Attorney General. I did that and they said "Go ahead".

Turns out - they ended up forging my signature not once but twice and didn't do a spectacularly great job on it. Even got the date wrong. But they did end up having to send me my money back for something I didn't want and would never use. But their lawyer was basically pleading with me not to take further action against them. I still haven't decided if I will or not.

Reactions: patdog

trob115

Jul 5, 2011
No matter what you buy - it's illegal for a car dealer to require you to buy additional crap (and it is complete crap) like theft protection or paint protection that you will NEVER get any benefit from. Requiring the purchase of one product contingent on another product is called "Tied selling" and it has been illegal since the Clayton Act was passed in the mid 1910's, long before even the model T. It says it right there on the FTC website that it's illegal and always has been.

If they try that, tell them you are going to report them to the FTC and your state Attorney General. I did that and they said "Go ahead".

Turns out - they ended up forging my signature not once but twice and didn't do a spectacularly great job on it. Even got the date wrong. But they did end up having to send me my money back for something I didn't want and would never use. But their lawyer was basically pleading with me not to take further action against them. I still haven't decided if I will or not.
You absolutely should. This kind of stuff happens all of the time, and dealerships need to be held accountable.

Reactions: Spotdawg and patdog

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008

Do it, please do it. Until people stand up to these slime balls they will continue to do it. I went to one of the Ford dealers in Jackghanistan for the last new vehicle I bought (or almost bought) We sat down and negotiated and I wrote a bottom line number I would pay and they agreed. Wife and I left to go to lunch while they prepared the paperwork. Got back and the price was $1,200 more than I agreed to . I asked what that was for and it was "Doc Fees" which when I asked about it the answer I got was "that's extra for the girls in the back that prepare all the paperwork" I told him nope that's called overhead. The next one was "Security Glass Etching" which is the VIN# etched in all the windows for theft prevention. Told him nope, that was already on the vehicle when I looked at it and should have already been in that price he agreed to. The last one was "upgraded maintenance agreement" which was according to the paperwork it had maintenance agreement "included" except they had upgraded it to a synthetic oil, extended life oil and air filters instead of the petroleum based oil and normal filters that came in the vehicle to begin with. He said he couldn't take any of that off except maintenance upgrade so I told him he could keep the vehicle and I was going to Woolwine Ford in Collins to buy one they had there. We walked out and he followed us all the way to our car asking us to "come back in and we could work it out". Told him nope I agreed on a price and he didn't stick to his end. Then he wanted to "meet me half way", we drove to Collins and then drove a new vehicle back to Brandon that night.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Toyota Tacoma or Ford F150 2010-2014 with less than 150K miles would be a good target. Anything 2020 or newer and less than 100K miles will cost exponentially more.

MSUDAWGFAN

Apr 17, 2014
Do it, please do it. Until people stand up to these slime balls they will continue to do it. I went to one of the Ford dealers in Jackghanistan for the last new vehicle I bought (or almost bought) We sat down and negotiated and I wrote a bottom line number I would pay and they agreed. Wife and I left to go to lunch while they prepared the paperwork. Got back and the price was $1,200 more than I agreed to . I asked what that was for and it was "Doc Fees" which when I asked about it the answer I got was "that's extra for the girls in the back that prepare all the paperwork" I told him nope that's called overhead. The next one was "Security Glass Etching" which is the VIN# etched in all the windows for theft prevention. Told him nope, that was already on the vehicle when I looked at it and should have already been in that price he agreed to. The last one was "upgraded maintenance agreement" which was according to the paperwork it had maintenance agreement "included" except they had upgraded it to a synthetic oil, extended life oil and air filters instead of the petroleum based oil and normal filters that came in the vehicle to begin with. He said he couldn't take any of that off except maintenance upgrade so I told him he could keep the vehicle and I was going to Woolwine Ford in Collins to buy one they had there. We walked out and he followed us all the way to our car asking us to "come back in and we could work it out". Told him nope I agreed on a price and he didn't stick to his end. Then he wanted to "meet me half way", we drove to Collins and then drove a new vehicle back to Brandon that night.
One of the reasons we couldn't do that is because my wife's cousin works for Nissan and he had a code that he gave us after we had already given the name and address of the dealership. We couldn't just get another code,

Thing is, I went to go talk to the GM at another dealership in town and he never called me back, despite me leaving a copy of the CARS act (which isn't active but that part always has been) with the appropriate areas highlighted saying it cannot be mandatory.

When I went back to go talk one more time a sales manager told me "Well, we have lawyers and you have your lawyers." There is a cancellation clause he could have told me about but they never gave me the paperwork to do that so I could not have even filed a claim if it did happen. Just giving me the cancellation clause would have been ok, but they really wanted that money I guess. They just ran across the wrong guy I guess.

Most people don't know it's illegal and of the ones that do, most would just pay it.

MSUDAWGFAN

Apr 17, 2014
Also, I thought about turning the lawyer into his state bar. He lied in response to the AG. He said I signed for it and it was right there on the sticker. He could say he didn't know that wasn't my signature, but he should have known to look at the sticker to see it was not there. I don't know if that would get him in trouble with the bar, but this guy seems to be a complete jackwad so I'm tempted. I'm still well within the stature of limitations.

DeeEE!

Dec 19, 2023
Good luck! The buying process has become miserable. There are a few dealers around still that treat you pretty well. Just don't forget games are always being played. Plenty of videos on Youtube that help educate you.

Stay away from newer Tundra like @dawgstudent said. The new ones have had issues with machining the heads. They left debris in the engines and they are destroying the main bearing.

My personal preference, stay away from German and European cars. Ford has a fair share of issues with their new 10 Speed 10R80. GM has issues with lifter failures in Chevy and GMC applications. It is all pretty much a gamble.

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
Good luck! The buying process has become miserable. There are a few dealers around still that treat you pretty well. Just don't forget games are always being played. Plenty of videos on Youtube that help educate you.

Stay away from newer Tundra like @dawgstudent said. The new ones have had issues with machining the heads. They left debris in the engines and they are destroying the main bearing.

My personal preference, stay away from German and European cars. Ford has a fair share of issues with their new 10 Speed 10R80. GM has issues with lifter failures in Chevy and GMC applications. It is all pretty much a gamble.
GM vehicles with cylinder de-activation active fuel management horseshitttery should be disabled, or avoid. They will have pre-mature camshaft/lifter failure, guaranteed.

Reactions: onewoof

Wesson Bulldog

Nov 3, 2015

All car dealers are not like this.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
'21 was the last of the 5.7 V8. It drinks gas but will outlast just about everything else out there. The new turbo v6 is still having major issues.
I also like the older body style better than the newer Tundras. The interior of the newer Tundras is considerably nicer though.

Reactions: MaxwellSmart

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
consumerreports.org

subscription based but has great information on any truck you like; great side by side comparisons as well along with road test results

motortrend.com is free and has reviews of all vehicles
Second. I get a monthly subscription to Consumer Reports anytime I'm looking and then cancel as soon as I'm done.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
Dude, this is all you need to know. My GMC Sierra SLT 4x4 with the 5.3L, is more comfortable than my couch, and gets 22 miles to a gallon on the interstate. Not as nice as my GMC Denali Yukon, but pretty dang good.

I would read up on them.

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
Dude, this is all you need to know. My GMC Sierra SLT 4x4 with the 5.3L, is more comfortable than my couch, and gets 22 miles to a gallon on the interstate. Not as nice as my GMC Denali Yukon, but pretty dang good.

I would read up on them.
Take the money you conserve from your 22mpg and save toward an engine.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Take the money you conserve from your 22mpg and save toward an engine.
Yea, a good friends GMC is in the shop now. Lifter collapsed, wore the camshaft and got shavings in the camshaft and crank bearings. 35000 miles. Plus it’s already had the transmission replaced.

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
If you do find a vehicle you are interested in, you can go to nhtsa.gov to research any recalls that year, make and model may have.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
If used - get a 2021 or older Tundra.
^^^^^^^^ this is the answer.

Those trucks are bullet proof. The 5.7 is likely the best engine ever made. Will only get 15 mpg, but the new hybrids only get 23. I'll give 8 miles per gallon for an engine that's goin roll 400 or 500k with no issues.

hatfieldms

Feb 20, 2008
I’ve been looking at used tundras
Why 2021 or older?
You don’t want anything made in 2020 or really 2021. So many people were still not working because of Covid and you had a lot of people putting appliances, cars, etc together that didn’t know what they were doing

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
You don’t want anything made in 2020 or really 2021. So many people were still not working because of Covid and you had a lot of people putting appliances, cars, etc together that didn’t know what they were doing
Not necessarily. My dad and I both have 21 Duramaxs. He put 150,000 miles on his and traded last year and it was never in the shop. I have almost 100,000 on mine with zero issues. [Knock on wood]