OT: barking dogs next door

msugrad2003

Aug 27, 2013
what can be done about neighbor’s dogs constantly barking? Neighbor has two German shepherds that never shut up. The issue has been brought to the attention of my neighbor by me and others but nothing is done. Many times these dogs wake my kids at night.
They seem to be worse when they are away from the house (which is often). It’s getting to the point where I may do something drastic that will require me to get an attorney…kidding….kind of
Any suggestions?

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
what can be done about neighbor’s dogs constantly barking? Neighbor has two German shepherds that never shut up. The issue has been brought to the attention of my neighbor by me and others but nothing is done. Many times these dogs wake my kids at night.
They seem to be worse when they are away from the house (which is often). It’s getting to the point where I may do something drastic that will require me to get an attorney…kidding….kind of
Any suggestions?
You can get a noise machine for your kids rooms and better windows on your house. Be thankful for barking dogs. They help deter crime. You can also move or buy your neighbors house so he can move. Not trying to be an a-hole, just getting to the point. Not a whole lot you can do.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I know you’ve said you’ve confronted them, so if so, then that’s about all you can do. Nicely ask them to put a stop to it.

Not much else there. If you tell the HOA, they’ll know and that relationship will get a lot worse in a hurry.

Wesson Bulldog

Nov 3, 2015
I have them on both sides of me within 50 yards. We live in the country and absolutely nothing can be done about it. They start up about 11 most nights

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
driving huckleberry hound GIF

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I thought you might live up the street from me. We have dogs barking everywhere all the time you get used to it. But... A dog in a house behind me starts barking every morning and will bark, every morning, all morning, for at least two or three hours solid at... nothing.

hdogg

Nov 21, 2014
I had this issue in Tx about 15 years ago. I had to call animal control and specifically say that I was concerned about the dogs safety. Make up a reason , such as dog being left out in the cold. Whatever. Eventually they have to check on the dogs.
Noise makers also will help. I'm against it on principle, but consider if it helps.
I'm w you, it's an awful issue of inconsiderate neighbors. People who try to diminish this, have never really been affected by it. It can be awful.

Dawgtruc

Sep 8, 2018
Right down the street from us in our neighborhood are some extreme barking dogs. Their neighbors houses go up for sale every few years, and it hs nothing to do with the houses themselves, it's those dogs. I've been told the dog's owners spend almost NO TIME with those dogs.

Note to dog owners, dogs are not like cats, dogs need attention. I have 2 indoor cats that only need food, water and litterbox. I want to get a dog, but not until I retire....when I will have the time to spend with it.

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
I'd talk with the neighbor and tell him that the barking has to stop. I'd ask him if he has any ideas for a solution. If that doesn't work, then I'd look to the HOA or the local community authorities for help. If none of that works, then I'd figure out a way to end the barking of those dogs myself.

uptowndawg

Jul 15, 2010
Make videos of the dogs when they’re not at their best then put those videos to the music of Sarah Mcglauglin’s arms of an angel. Upload that to YouTube, instagram and ticktock and tag your local humane society, any local adoption groups, peta, Oprah, Michael Vick, and your local Chinese restaurants asking for an angel to improve the lives of these animals.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Fireworks, every time the damn thing barks, shoot a firework their way
...or maybe don't shoot fireworks at the dogs since they aren't knowingly doing anything wrong and that will only escalate things.

- buy one of the sound devices that only emits a sound when a dog barks. I've read about some that just emit a constant noise and that sort of thing is 17ed up.
- police if the dogs are constantly barking at documented improper times of the day.

Reactions: WrightGuy821

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
Couple for real Pit Bulls could put a end to it. Maybe someone has some you could borrow temporarily.

Raiderdawg

Sep 28, 2022
Check your county noise ordinances. Our county has a 15 minute continuous barking or 30 minute intermittent barking as violation of noise ordinance. Police won’t really do anything unless it’s at night or affecting your life (night shift sleep), but if you document how long/often it happens, how it is affecting you, and that you / others have talked to your neighbors, then the police usually will take care of it.

SwampDawg

Feb 24, 2008
Any suggestions?
We are temporarily living in a rental with a fenced in back yard. Our neighbors to the left have a dog and one (?) cat. The cat likes to come in our yard and hide under the utility shed. We suspect she has had babies under there. The neighbor to the right has one huge dog. Being surrounded like this our dog would yap all the time if I didn't go out and yell at him when he goes into the nonstop mode. The routine doesn't keep him from starting, but it does shut him up. It can be done. Our neighbors don't seem to mind the noise at all.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
Check your county noise ordinances. Our county has a 15 minute continuous barking or 30 minute intermittent barking as violation of noise ordinance. Police won’t really do anything unless it’s at night or affecting your life (night shift sleep), but if you document how long/often it happens, how it is affecting you, and that you / others have talked to your neighbors, then the police usually will take care of it.
The majority of cities and counties in Mississippi have no noise ordinance. Or, if they have something that appears to address noise, it is typically not enforceable as a stand-alone item (some have a semblance of noise as an item of "disturbing the peace"). There is no practical or effective way to measure noise for purposes of misdemeanor criminal prosecution. Devices that measure noise have to be purchased (they are expensive), they have to be calibrated and certified, they have to be standardized, they have to be trained on, the user has to be certified and tested, they have to be handled similarly to radar and DUI technology. No city or county law enforcement wants to fool with that $h!+.

If you try to make the barking dog nonsense into a police matter, you are going to be eternally frustrated. Law enforcement will absolutely hate you for dragging their @$$ into it and will probably mark you down as a serial complainer. You will be on the $h!+ list.

This is a private nuisance, not a public nuisance. It will have to be handled privately either through common sense or, failing that, through an inferior court as a private nuisance matter.

Nov 20, 2023
Any suggestions?
Make em homemade popsicles and I say this 110 percent kidding too. It’s just that I’m dealing with the same thing almost but out in the county and Dogs from way further than the road and aggressive. I just saw the recommendation for the Paintball gun great idea! or get you a .22 or 410 shotgun with some rat shot or whatever smallest and shoot ‘em in the *** if they’re big dogs and they escalate like getting into garbage etc scaring your kids, they’ll be fine but get the point. I’d recommend the Dog Silencer first and and legal Avenue you can take as well it looks nice. What’s crazy is we own all the land within sight basically of where I live but I have my neighbors dogs way down the road wreacking havoc and they come from very far. One’s gotten in the fence somehow and attacked our Pembroke Welsh Corgi and is an aggressive pit Bull. That Corgi don’t play he will get ferocious back. Still their big Dogs are causing me fits, I fired off my 10mm with a 220 Buffalo Bore and they scatter it sounds like I can’t even explain compared to most other handguns. S&W M&P 2.0 w/ 4.6 Barrel. Love it. But I won’t keep wasting rounds. 10mm ammo is expensive. Wish you the best with your issue

Raiderdawg

Sep 28, 2022
The majority of cities and counties in Mississippi have no noise ordinance. Or, if they have something that appears to address noise, it is typically not enforceable as a stand-alone item (some have a semblance of noise as an item of "disturbing the peace"). There is no practical or effective way to measure noise for purposes of misdemeanor criminal prosecution. Devices that measure noise have to be purchased (they are expensive), they have to be calibrated and certified, they have to be standardized, they have to be trained on, the user has to be certified and tested, they have to be handled similarly to radar and DUI technology. No city or county law enforcement wants to fool with that $h!+.

If you try to make the barking dog nonsense into a police matter, you are going to be eternally frustrated. Law enforcement will absolutely hate you for dragging their @$$ into it and will probably mark you down as a serial complainer. You will be on the $h!+ list.

This is a private nuisance, not a public nuisance. It will have to be handled privately either through common sense or, failing that, through an inferior court as a private nuisance matter.
I get it. Circumstances can be different. I can only go on what I read / heard about in our HOA.

Similar situation, HOA has a community assigned cop liaison for our neighborhood. The neighborhood HOA involved him after repeated issues with a dog. Apparently, a couple was leaving their barking dog outside at night for hours. Close neighbors complained and after that didn’t work, had the HOA talk to our police liaison. After cop talked to the couple it stopped.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Make em homemade popsicles and I say this 110 percent kidding too. It’s just that I’m dealing with the same thing almost but out in the county and Dogs from way further than the road and aggressive. I just saw the recommendation for the Paintball gun great idea! or get you a .22 or 410 shotgun with some rat shot or whatever smallest and shoot ‘em in the *** if they’re big dogs and they escalate like getting into garbage etc scaring your kids, they’ll be fine but get the point. I’d recommend the Dog Silencer first and and legal Avenue you can take as well it looks nice. What’s crazy is we own all the land within sight basically of where I live but I have my neighbors dogs way down the road wreacking havoc and they come from very far. One’s gotten in the fence somehow and attacked our Pembroke Welsh Corgi and is an aggressive pit Bull. That Corgi don’t play he will get ferocious back. Still their big Dogs are causing me fits, I fired off my 10mm with a 220 Buffalo Bore and they scatter it sounds like I can’t even explain compared to most other handguns. S&W M&P 2.0 w/ 4.6 Barrel. Love it. But I won’t keep wasting rounds. 10mm ammo is expensive. Wish you the best with your issue
If a dog came and attacked my dog from way down the road I’d tell them if it happens again the dog is dead.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
I get it. Circumstances can be different. I can only go on what I read / heard about in our HOA.

Similar situation, HOA has a community assigned cop liaison for our neighborhood. The neighborhood HOA involved him after repeated issues with a dog. Apparently, a couple was leaving their barking dog outside at night for hours. Close neighbors complained and after that didn’t work, had the HOA talk to our police liaison. After cop talked to the couple it stopped.
As someone who lives in an HOA and was (stupidly) part of the board, I can tell you, that unless there is something specific in the bylaws, there is nothing you can do. Barking dogs are typically not illegal unless they pose a threat. Cops usually can't do anything. The board shouldn't be the enforcement arm either. They can't play cops. That is up to the mgmt company. Their role is to fine people and the board approves the fine. At least that's how mine works.

Again, the electric dog silencers work extremely well. They aren't the most humane products, but being a ****** dog owner isn't humane either. Someone in my neighborhood had a barking dog like the one you've described. The neighbors setup a dog silencer in their yard pointing directly at their neighbor's yard. The dog wouldn't even come out of the house and the dog would piss and crap in their house. The dubmass dog owners complained about the dog silencer. They had no leg to stand on. Eventually, the problem worked itself out. Either they started keeping the dog inside or they got rid of it. I don't know what happened, but regardless, that entire section of my hood was elated.

I've learned that you cannot reason with shltty pet owners. They have clouded judgment.

jdbulldog

Oct 27, 2007
Bark control devices do work for some dogs. I always thought they were scams until we bought one and used it. The odd thing was it worked for one dog, and the other was not even phased by it.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008

This is exactly the "common sense" to which I was referring.

99jc

Jul 31, 2008
Reactions: aTotal360

99jc

Jul 31, 2008
If a dog came and attacked my dog from way down the road I’d tell them if it happens again the dog is dead.
we have a Pembroke corgi as well. If a dog attacked and killed or maimed him I would sue the **** out of him. We have 5k in this dog he came from the queen of England's line.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
Years ago I did the noise machine thing to help us drown it out from the neighbors house behind us. Only really bothered us when weather was pleasant enough for ac or heat to not be running.

One thing that seemed to help was I turned on the lights in my backyard when the dog barked. I had some bright *** lights. Pointed them at his house. I don’t know if the lights annoyed the owner & he got the point, or if it really caused the dog to shut up. But it helped.

Reactions: DawgsNCowboys87

Baddog11

Aug 28, 2013
You have to get a barrel and then put a bunch of plastic trash inside the barrel. Set it on fire and Let it keep simmering. At least that’s what my neighbor does. Stinks so bad it Makes everybody and their pets get back inside the house.

MagicDawg

Nov 11, 2010
I had this problem. Neighbors moved in. We welcomed them with a bottle of wine and a couple of jars of homemade jam. Largely rebuffed/ignored. Not interested in talking to us, accepting Christmas gifts that we gave in the neighborhood, nothing. Every attempt to be a friendly neighbor was rejected. Not even a generic wave when driving away and I saw them working in the yard. (Couldn't help but notice that they had no issues developing openly friendly neighborly relationships with others in the neighborhood but only with families whose skin matched theirs. Whatever.)

Over the next several months/year we saw so many litters of doberman puppies being born next door that we eventually wondered whether they were illegally breeding. Non stop barking for hours every day. Overnight. Incessant. The care for the dogs was poor, especially in the winter.

After several months/a year, we went over with a bottle of wine and a neighborly request to consider that maybe during long periods of loud barking they could put them in the garage or something, as their dog pen was situated directly outside our bedroom window. They didn't have any interest in trying to mitigate the situation in any way. "Dogs bark." (Well duh, we know that -- we were trying to find a mutually agreeable... never mind.) They kept the wine and basically closed the door in our faces. They did blame a lot of the barking on another dog that was being let loose to wander through the neighborhood -- which was also not allowed,

Fair enough.

We repeatedly reported the loose dog until it no longer showed up.

We tried the ultrasonic chirp thing that is triggered by barking. It works a bit, for a while. I do think eventually they develop the ability to tune it out.

We recorded the barking until it went over the noise guidelines not just for the neighborhood, but for the county. At some point it officially becomes a public nuisance.

Marshalls got involved and it got REAL quiet over there. No more new puppies every quarter, either.

It's been a few years since then. Barking is a lot less intrusive now -- dogs eventually got used to the neighborhood, we eliminated a lot of the triggers (wandering dogs), and they got a little attention from LE that helped change some expectations.

I still wave and smile and get grudging responses. I like making it uncomfortable for them to be intentionally rude enough to ignore direct eye contact. I have intentionally made conversation when I see them in the yard. Compliment their landscaping, brag on their son's participation in the marching band, good wishes for every holiday, etc. Heaping coals the best I can in the casual encounters. Saw him working on some landscaping stuff over the course of a couple of weeks and I emailed him to ask if I could come over and help him lift/move stuff.

But mostly we mind our own business.

Also, we're moving next year after 17 years here and 31 years since I moved to Atlanta. I am sure they'll be thrilled.

NWADog

Aug 16, 2014
I had to basically train my neighbors dog to stop barking. Every time I would mow or be in my backyard existing with my daughter and wife that dog would be going insane.
I talked to the neighbor about it, nothing changed.
Once the dog would start barking I would climb the fence and lean over it and that dog would be going insane trying to get at me and every time it would bark I would just hit the jet mode on my water hose right in its face over and over and saying “shut it” and eventually it whimpered off and now anytime it barks I just say “shut it” and it whimpers off and sits on its patio.
I haven’t had any issues since. I’m not sure if my methods are the best or if they work with all dogs but it worked with this one and now I can enjoy a peaceful backyard. Good luck

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I had this problem. Neighbors moved in. We welcomed them with a bottle of wine and a couple of jars of homemade jam. Largely rebuffed/ignored. Not interested in talking to us, accepting Christmas gifts that we gave in the neighborhood, nothing. Every attempt to be a friendly neighbor was rejected. Not even a generic wave when driving away and I saw them working in the yard. (Couldn't help but notice that they had no issues developing openly friendly neighborly relationships with others in the neighborhood but only with families whose skin matched theirs. Whatever.)

Over the next several months/year we saw so many litters of doberman puppies being born next door that we eventually wondered whether they were illegally breeding. Non stop barking for hours every day. Overnight. Incessant. The care for the dogs was poor, especially in the winter.

After several months/a year, we went over with a bottle of wine and a neighborly request to consider that maybe during long periods of loud barking they could put them in the garage or something, as their dog pen was situated directly outside our bedroom window. They didn't have any interest in trying to mitigate the situation in any way. "Dogs bark." (Well duh, we know that -- we were trying to find a mutually agreeable... never mind.) They kept the wine and basically closed the door in our faces. They did blame a lot of the barking on another dog that was being let loose to wander through the neighborhood -- which was also not allowed,

Fair enough.

We repeatedly reported the loose dog until it no longer showed up.

We tried the ultrasonic chirp thing that is triggered by barking. It works a bit, for a while. I do think eventually they develop the ability to tune it out.

We recorded the barking until it went over the noise guidelines not just for the neighborhood, but for the county. At some point it officially becomes a public nuisance.

Marshalls got involved and it got REAL quiet over there. No more new puppies every quarter, either.

It's been a few years since then. Barking is a lot less intrusive now -- dogs eventually got used to the neighborhood, we eliminated a lot of the triggers (wandering dogs), and they got a little attention from LE that helped change some expectations.

I still wave and smile and get grudging responses. I like making it uncomfortable for them to be intentionally rude enough to ignore direct eye contact. I have intentionally made conversation when I see them in the yard. Compliment their landscaping, brag on their son's participation in the marching band, good wishes for every holiday, etc. Heaping coals the best I can in the casual encounters. Saw him working on some landscaping stuff over the course of a couple of weeks and I emailed him to ask if I could come over and help him lift/move stuff.

But mostly we mind our own business.

Also, we're moving next year after 17 years here and 31 years since I moved to Atlanta. I am sure they'll be thrilled.
If he's in rural MS, LE may not want to get involved.

MagicDawg

Nov 11, 2010
If he's in rural MS, LE may not want to get involved.
Good point. We are in a suburban neighborhood with an HOA and a marshal department that will respond. At least, they would ten years ago. As the population has increased here they have gotten more selective. It's about to explode here in '24 and we are getting out.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login