OT: barking dogs next door

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
I had this problem. Neighbors moved in. We welcomed them with a bottle of wine and a couple of jars of homemade jam. Largely rebuffed/ignored. Not interested in talking to us, accepting Christmas gifts that we gave in the neighborhood, nothing. Every attempt to be a friendly neighbor was rejected. Not even a generic wave when driving away and I saw them working in the yard. (Couldn't help but notice that they had no issues developing openly friendly neighborly relationships with others in the neighborhood but only with families whose skin matched theirs. Whatever.)

Over the next several months/year we saw so many litters of doberman puppies being born next door that we eventually wondered whether they were illegally breeding. Non stop barking for hours every day. Overnight. Incessant. The care for the dogs was poor, especially in the winter.

After several months/a year, we went over with a bottle of wine and a neighborly request to consider that maybe during long periods of loud barking they could put them in the garage or something, as their dog pen was situated directly outside our bedroom window. They didn't have any interest in trying to mitigate the situation in any way. "Dogs bark." (Well duh, we know that -- we were trying to find a mutually agreeable... never mind.) They kept the wine and basically closed the door in our faces. They did blame a lot of the barking on another dog that was being let loose to wander through the neighborhood -- which was also not allowed,

Fair enough.

We repeatedly reported the loose dog until it no longer showed up.

We tried the ultrasonic chirp thing that is triggered by barking. It works a bit, for a while. I do think eventually they develop the ability to tune it out.

We recorded the barking until it went over the noise guidelines not just for the neighborhood, but for the county. At some point it officially becomes a public nuisance.

Marshalls got involved and it got REAL quiet over there. No more new puppies every quarter, either.

It's been a few years since then. Barking is a lot less intrusive now -- dogs eventually got used to the neighborhood, we eliminated a lot of the triggers (wandering dogs), and they got a little attention from LE that helped change some expectations.

I still wave and smile and get grudging responses. I like making it uncomfortable for them to be intentionally rude enough to ignore direct eye contact. I have intentionally made conversation when I see them in the yard. Compliment their landscaping, brag on their son's participation in the marching band, good wishes for every holiday, etc. Heaping coals the best I can in the casual encounters. Saw him working on some landscaping stuff over the course of a couple of weeks and I emailed him to ask if I could come over and help him lift/move stuff.

But mostly we mind our own business.

Also, we're moving next year after 17 years here and 31 years since I moved to Atlanta. I am sure they'll be thrilled.
Outstanding. Plus one to you and your bride, magic.

Reactions: MagicDawg

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Good point. We are in a suburban neighborhood with an HOA and a marshal department that will respond. At least, they would ten years ago. As the population has increased here they have gotten more selective. It's about to explode here in '24 and we are getting out.
Where are you going? I love the mountains of N GA. Would live there in a second.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
we have a Pembroke corgi as well. If a dog attacked and killed or maimed him I would sue the **** out of him. We have 5k in this dog he came from the queen of England's line.
I figured fishwater was the only poster rich enough to afford a dog like that

Reactions: jethreauxdawg
Nov 20, 2023
If a dog came and attacked my dog from way down the road I’d tell them if it happens again the dog is dead.
Already done with the swiftness told em quick, I just didn’t want to post that because someone on here liable to get their feelings hurt or something last thing I wanted to do was de-rail the thread. But yes I will put one of these Bullets meant to stop a grizzly bear right into their dog if it happens again. These Buffalo Bore 220 grains don’t play from a 10mm makes a 45 look pedestrian. It’s my favorite handgun by far bc of its Home Defense capabilities (I obviously don’t use the bear stoppers but high power hollows, folks hunt deer an awful lot too with it and the 10mm is making a surge in popularity. Flat shooting out past 100 yds from an automatic handgun lol and packs a wallop. And some recoil but very manageable.

Reactions: dog12

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
what can be done about neighbor’s dogs constantly barking? Neighbor has two German shepherds that never shut up. The issue has been brought to the attention of my neighbor by me and others but nothing is done. Many times these dogs wake my kids at night.
They seem to be worse when they are away from the house (which is often). It’s getting to the point where I may do something drastic that will require me to get an attorney…kidding….kind of
Any suggestions?
If you’re in city limits, your town likely has a noise ordinance. Call animal control. It will eventually stop.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Just don't go Son of Sam. **** Not a mail man are you?

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2023
we have a Pembroke corgi as well. If a dog attacked and killed or maimed him I would sue the **** out of him. We have 5k in this dog he came from the queen of England's line.
Yeah ours is from a really really fine bloodline as well. Not from the queen of Englands line but looks as fine as you could ask and behaves. I told him I will kill his Dog on sight on my property as well, we have a fence built around the back of our house. He’s an inside/outside Dog as you know they have a lot of energy to get out. Ours does. In short told him I’d own everything he had and his Dog would be dead too and he could come pick it up if it happens again. I’ve seen the Dog once or twice since but nowhere anywhere near our Dogs fence or our yard at least which is 3 acres. It used to raise hell around here.

Reactions: dog12

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
I've learned that you cannot reason with shltty pet owners. They have clouded judgment.
Shltty pet owners are generally shltty people.

I used to ride my bike in the neighborhood. I got bit by a large breed worthless a$$ mutt once who was on a leash, but got away from its owner. The stupid bltch walking the dog had a broken hand, weighed half of what the dog weighed and freely admitted she knew I rode in the neighborhood every day and that her dog HATES bikes. She had no regard for anything. I later found posts on Nextdoor where she would keep stray pit bulls in her back yard, and they would break her fence and get out. Next level idiocy.

Long story short, they filed a homeowners claim for my settlement and my medical bill was covered from their insurance. I waited until one week before the settlement offer expired, because I wanted these garbage people to lose sleep. The husband would even walk the dog in front of my house, and he lives 5 blocks away. I'm convinced he was trying to get me on camera instigating something.... I'm positive he filmed me a couple of times.

Once I started riding with an aluminum softball bat in my water bottle holder, I never saw the sorry POS again. And, they paid for half or my new vehicle I bought later that year. Still, you have to be next level garbage to act like these people did. OP should be careful when dealing with some obviously worthless individuals.

msugrad2003

Aug 27, 2013
Shltty pet owners are generally shltty people.

I used to ride my bike in the neighborhood. I got bit by a large breed worthless a$$ mutt once who was on a leash, but got away from its owner. The stupid bltch walking the dog had a broken hand, weighed half of what the dog weighed and freely admitted she knew I rode in the neighborhood every day and that her dog HATES bikes. She had no regard for anything. I later found posts on Nextdoor where she would keep stray pit bulls in her back yard, and they would break her fence and get out. Next level idiocy.

Long story short, they filed a homeowners claim for my settlement and my medical bill was covered from their insurance. I waited until one week before the settlement offer expired, because I wanted these garbage people to lose sleep. The husband would even walk the dog in front of my house, and he lives 5 blocks away. I'm convinced he was trying to get me on camera instigating something.... I'm positive he filmed me a couple of times.

Once I started riding with an aluminum softball bat in my water bottle holder, I never saw the sorry POS again. And, they paid for half or my new vehicle I bought later that year. Still, you have to be next level garbage to act like these people did. OP should be careful when dealing with some obviously worthless individuals.
😳

• Wow
Reactions: DawgsNCowboys87

Johnnie Come Lately

Nov 4, 2022
what can be done about neighbor’s dogs constantly barking? Neighbor has two German shepherds that never shut up. The issue has been brought to the attention of my neighbor by me and others but nothing is done. Many times these dogs wake my kids at night.
They seem to be worse when they are away from the house (which is often). It’s getting to the point where I may do something drastic that will require me to get an attorney…kidding….kind of
Any suggestions?

HotMop

May 8, 2006
I had a neighbor in Louisiana with some barking *** Dobermans. I hung a bark collar in my tree next to his fence. They
You can get a noise machine for your kids rooms and better windows on your house. Be thankful for barking dogs. They help deter crime. You can also move or buy your neighbors house so he can move. Not trying to be an a-hole, just getting to the point. Not a whole lot you can do.
I swear to God I would punch you in the throat if you were my neighbor.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Bruce Campbell Hello GIF

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I later found posts on Nextdoor where she would keep stray pit bulls in her back yard, and they would break her fence and get out. Next level idiocy.
Anyone who would own a pit bull in a neighborhood has a screw loose. They're the sweetest dog in the world and would never hurt a fly until they snap and eat a kid or their owner. Any dog can snap, but pits are so strong and ferocious, they are especially dangerous. My 10 lb schnauzer is a huge ahole, if he weighed 30 or 40 lbs, there's no way I'd keep him.

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021
Make em homemade popsicles and I say this 110 percent kidding too. It’s just that I’m dealing with the same thing almost but out in the county and Dogs from way further than the road and aggressive. I just saw the recommendation for the Paintball gun great idea! or get you a .22 or 410 shotgun with some rat shot or whatever smallest and shoot ‘em in the *** if they’re big dogs and they escalate like getting into garbage etc scaring your kids, they’ll be fine but get the point. I’d recommend the Dog Silencer first and and legal Avenue you can take as well it looks nice. What’s crazy is we own all the land within sight basically of where I live but I have my neighbors dogs way down the road wreacking havoc and they come from very far. One’s gotten in the fence somehow and attacked our Pembroke Welsh Corgi and is an aggressive pit Bull. That Corgi don’t play he will get ferocious back. Still their big Dogs are causing me fits, I fired off my 10mm with a 220 Buffalo Bore and they scatter it sounds like I can’t even explain compared to most other handguns. S&W M&P 2.0 w/ 4.6 Barrel. Love it. But I won’t keep wasting rounds. 10mm ammo is expensive. Wish you the best with your issue
a pit bull in my yard would never leave it - i would bury it where it fell. with kids in the yard there is no trusting them or their neck tattooed owners

Nov 20, 2023
a pit bull in my yard would never leave it - i would bury it where it fell. with kids in the yard there is no trusting them or their neck tattooed owners
Absolutely the 17 right I feel the same as you. Luckily for them the Dog hasn’t been back or anywhere near our dog or family/employees. Hell we have about 20 employees as well. So yea I put it on my life I will smoke that worthless sack of muscle if I gets within sight. People say their brains out grow their skulls.. well why are they so f’ing stupid or either aggressive. I mean I’ve seen a few that weren’t but their ticking time bombs to me. Wish we hadn’t sold that plot of timber now and that plot almost… was doing us no good and had good money we’d normally never sell our land. They went and built a nice house on the plot and sit outside all the time shooting fireworks just for the hell of it during non holidays. I mean the big *** ones. It’s a nice house but way to many people living there it’s odd. I have suspicions but hey we own the land surround them and all the way up to their property lines from all sides. I ought to just go smoke the dog as mad as it makes me that I didn’t.

Nov 20, 2023
Straight up garbage *** people with no sense/give a damn. 17 em and their type I hate em and to hear that so many of these bad experiences are So preventable, don’t be gutter trash and bad pet owners. Got attacked once by a “miniature pincher” out at my friends house in town we rode by an apartment building on a slow road. I punted the hell outta that thing. But it actually had a very strong bite. It left a nasty bruise and bite mark.

Nov 20, 2023
I had this problem. Neighbors moved in. We welcomed them with a bottle of wine and a couple of jars of homemade jam. Largely rebuffed/ignored. Not interested in talking to us, accepting Christmas gifts that we gave in the neighborhood, nothing. Every attempt to be a friendly neighbor was rejected. Not even a generic wave when driving away and I saw them working in the yard. (Couldn't help but notice that they had no issues developing openly friendly neighborly relationships with others in the neighborhood but only with families whose skin matched theirs. Whatever.)

Over the next several months/year we saw so many litters of doberman puppies being born next door that we eventually wondered whether they were illegally breeding. Non stop barking for hours every day. Overnight. Incessant. The care for the dogs was poor, especially in the winter.

After several months/a year, we went over with a bottle of wine and a neighborly request to consider that maybe during long periods of loud barking they could put them in the garage or something, as their dog pen was situated directly outside our bedroom window. They didn't have any interest in trying to mitigate the situation in any way. "Dogs bark." (Well duh, we know that -- we were trying to find a mutually agreeable... never mind.) They kept the wine and basically closed the door in our faces. They did blame a lot of the barking on another dog that was being let loose to wander through the neighborhood -- which was also not allowed,

Fair enough.

We tried the ultrasonic chirp thing that is triggered by barking. It works a bit, for a while. I do think eventually they develop the ability to tune it out.

We recorded the barking until it went over the noise guidelines not just for the neighborhood, but for the county. At some point it officially becomes a public nuisance.

Marshalls got involved and it got REAL quiet over there. No more new puppies every quarter, either.

It's been a few years since then. Barking is a lot less intrusive now -- dogs eventually got used to the neighborhood, we eliminated a lot of the triggers (wandering dogs), and they got a little attention from LE that helped change some expectations.

I still wave and smile and get grudging responses. I like making it uncomfortable for them to be intentionally rude enough to ignore direct eye contact. I have intentionally made conversation when I see them in the yard. Compliment their landscaping, brag on their son's participation in the marching band, good wishes for every holiday, etc. Heaping coals the best I can in the casual encounters. Saw him working on some landscaping stuff over the course of a couple of weeks and I emailed him to ask if I could come over and help him lift/move stuff.

Also, we're moving next year after 17 years here and 31 years since I moved to Atlanta. I am sure they'll be thrilled.
Y’all were very patient and tried to reason with them in every way. I applaud you for not trying out his chin after all the courtesy and patience/multiple tries to reason. Very classy and yet “some” people are un-reasonable.

Reactions: MagicDawg

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019

MagicDawg

Nov 11, 2010
Y’all were very patient and tried to reason with them in every way. I applaud you for not trying out his chin after all the courtesy and patience/multiple tries to reason. Very classy and yet “some” people are un-reasonable.
The fact that he is twice my size had zero effect on how I chose to handle the issue, and I wouldn't have tried physical intimidation even if he were smaller than I. That being said, just as a point of sanity, there is absolutely zero chance I would instigate any physical altercation with this man.

Reactions: DawgsNCowboys87

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

Fair enough.

I figured you would have made it disappear.***

Nov 20, 2023
The fact that he is twice my size had zero effect on how I chose to handle the issue, and I wouldn't have tried physical intimidation even if he were smaller than I. That being said, just as a point of sanity, there is absolutely zero chance I would instigate any physical altercation with this man.
Your probably right I guess you wouldn’t get far as they had their minds already made up. As you said it seemed color was an issue etc. So I should’ve thought better it just would’ve been hard is all I meant or rather angering to say the least after all that hospitality and trying to reason. But I get your point for sure.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Anyone who would own a pit bull in a neighborhood has a screw loose. They're the sweetest dog in the world and would never hurt a fly until they snap and eat a kid or their owner. Any dog can snap, but pits are so strong and ferocious, they are especially dangerous. My 10 lb schnauzer is a huge ahole, if he weighed 30 or 40 lbs, there's no way I'd keep him.
German Shepard could do the same. There are not bad dogs only bad dog owners.

Reactions: WrightGuy821
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login