OT: BBQ map of America

MSUDOG24

Mar 31, 2021
The Joint is closed permanently and the website is dead.

View attachment 632054
This caught my eye last week and finally took a drive by today. Says they are "moooving, TDA" on a sign outside. No clue where but always thought a bit of an odd location. Always thought Oby's was an odd location too but after 43 years and seemingly always packed, what do I know.

patdog

May 28, 2007
How the hell does opening a restaurant seem like a good idea to somebody like this??

People who know wtf they're doing fail left and right in that business...
It’s always been a tough business. And it’s a lot tougher these days.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
If you put slaw on your BBQ sandwich you do not love or fear the good lord.
She, it's
This caught my eye last week and finally took a drive by today. Says they are "moooving, TDA" on a sign outside. No clue where but always thought a bit of an odd location. Always thought Oby's was an odd location too but after 43 years and seemingly always packed, what do I know.
Supposedly moving to Jackson and opening a couple new places there is what some customers were told the last few days they were open

Reactions: MSUDOG24

MSUDOG24

Mar 31, 2021
She, it's

Supposedly moving to Jackson and opening a couple new places there is what some customers were told the last few days they were open
Well crap, one less option I thought was pretty good.

Enjoy your "around town" updates. Any idea what happened to the nursing home (I think it was going to be) across from Oby's? I'm not sure which is a worse eye sore, an abandoned building or an abandoned construction site.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
I have a couple decades in Memphis and few years in TX and OK. I'll say this...Memphis BBQ restaurant scene is extremely overrated and not worth a **** as a general rule. Although the TX bbq place in Cooper Young is pretty solid. A couple places in parts of town that most would rather not venture to are solid as well. The classics either went all downhill or never were good in the first place. The BBQ places I went to further west were generally much much better. Yeah they are different styles, but Memphis BBQ restaurants don't even try any longer. It all tastes like dried out heat warmer all day cardboard that tourists claim is good bc they are on vacation and don't know any better.

That said...the people of Memphis still take their BBQ very seriously and I'd put their backyard stuff up against anyone else in the country.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Well crap, one less option I thought was pretty good.

Enjoy your "around town" updates. Any idea what happened to the nursing home (I think it was going to be) across from Oby's? I'm not sure which is a worse eye sore, an abandoned building or an abandoned construction site.
Or was to be a "assisted living center" I believe as opposed to a true nursing home. Honestly haven't thought about it or heard anything

Reactions: MSUDOG24

KentuckyDawg13

Aug 15, 2006
******** re OG's map.
I grew up in Gulfport, Anjacs was better than anything I had in Memphis.
Memphis is overrated. I lived there 5 yrs and Mississippi BBQ was better, even ol' Lil Dooey's in Starkville.
Kentucky has decent BBQ.
Arkansas and Alabama has good BBQ also.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
That's not this guy for sure....and if it is, he's using an easy bake.
You can cook killer BBQ on some "pits" you wouldn't expect. Possibly the best commercial pit maker in the world is J&R Manufacturing out of Mesquite, TX. Their Oyler rotisserie darkens the doors of some of the top joints in TX. You wouldn't know what you're looking at if you didn't know what it is. Same with their little red smokehouse for smaller operations.

Fast Eddy's, Ole Hickory, and Southern Pride also make great commercial smokers that could easily be confused with refrigeration units at delivery and are capable of working indoors under ventilation. Lots of great BBQ cooked on all these devices around the country.

Also, don't poo-poo the business model of microwaved BBQ. People get their weenies harder than Chinese arithmetic over Buc-ees brisket. That's all cooked in a Hormel factory in East Texas and distributed to the stores for reheating.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
You can cook killer BBQ on some "pits" you wouldn't expect. Possibly the best commercial pit maker in the world is J&R Manufacturing out of Mesquite, TX. Their Oyler rotisserie darkens the doors of some of the top joints in TX. You wouldn't know what you're looking at if you didn't know what it is. Same with their little red smokehouse for smaller operations.

Fast Eddy's, Ole Hickory, and Southern Pride also make great commercial smokers that could easily be confused with refrigeration units at delivery and are capable of working indoors under ventilation. Lots of great BBQ cooked on all these devices around the country.

Also, don't poo-poo the business model of microwaved BBQ. People get their weenies harder than Chinese arithmetic over Buc-ees brisket. That's all cooked in a Hormel factory in East Texas and distributed to the stores for reheating.
Will Smith Punch GIF by Xavier Degraux

Keep Buccee’s name out your mother 17in mouth.

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
Also, don't poo-poo the business model of microwaved BBQ. People get their weenies harder than Chinese arithmetic over Buc-ees brisket. That's all cooked in a Hormel factory in East Texas and distributed to the stores for rehreheating
I was as confused with that addiction to buccees 10 years ago as I am now. Bathrooms and gas pump access are top notch, the food....nah, and I tried a lot. Used to be fun to be the road warrior.

Philly Dawg

Oct 6, 2012
I remember when I first moved to Texas, I was at a place with a food truck selling barbecue sandwiches.

I walked up and ordered “barbecue sandwich, no cole slaw”.

The woman said “why the hell would I put cole slaw on it?”

I said “well I don’t want you to, but people do it for some reason” 🤷🏻‍♂️

She said “well, I’ve never heard of that”

I said “ok, cool. Barbecue sandwich”

So, I get the sandwich and go over to one of the picnic tables and take a bite and I was like “what in the blue hell is this?”

I didn’t realize until then that the ‘default’ Texas BBQ sandwich is brisket, not pulled pork.

Since then, I’ve found good barbecue in different areas of the state, but having never really spent a lot of time outside Mississippi, I had no concept of “regional BBQ”.
I love brisket and those sandwiches are good but pulled pork is the king of BBQ sammies.

Reactions: Dawgg

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Brisket is delicious and perfectly acceptable. But it ain't BBQ.

As a person who spends as much time in Texas as the mid-South, I can say that I enjoy both. There's a joint in Texas called Ten-50 that's just outstanding. But it's no Central BBQ.

Reactions: Philly Dawg

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
I was curious so I looked up what meats were in the list of BBQ meats. This is worthy of debate.

BBQ "In" list
  • Pig
  • Chicken
  • Shrimp
  • Sausage

BBQ "in limbo" list
  • Cow
  • Turkey
  • Lamb
  • Goat
  • Deer
  • Alligator