OT: BBQ map of America

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
I think one of the biggest differentiators is quality of meat. You can get salt, pepper, mesquite wood, and a smoker anywhere in the country, but you aren’t getting a grass fed cow they killed yesterday in south Florida. I also find it weird that Omaha isn’t known for brisket, but it’s known for their beef.

Last edited:
Reactions: eckie1

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
It's nasty stuff. We spent a decade up there one year. Being from the 'Sip, we take good BBQ for granted.
I was always the biggest Memphis ribs guy, but my favorite ribs were done my my BIL’s dad. They were dry rub vinegar and pepper and they were incredible. I can never recreate it though.

For pulled pork, I don’t even add sauce if I do it right. I’ll add it when reheating leftovers, but when it’s fresh, pork, Hawaiian Sweet roll. Done.

Reactions: onewoof

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
but you aren’t getting a grass fed cow they killed yesterday in south Florida.
Don't fall for the grass fed crap, that's just a way to charge more for an inferior product.

There's a reason Bovines are mass farmed and not Odocoileus (whitetail deer - which are 100% organic and grass fed - the more corn you feed them the better they taste). Grass fed is just a way to get mo' money out of city boys.

Reactions: Villagedawg

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Don't fall for the grass fed crap, that's just a way to charge more for an inferior product.

There's a reason Bovines are mass farmed and not Odocoileus (whitetail deer - which are 100% organic and grass fed - the more corn you feed them the better they taste). Grass fed is just a way to get mo' money out of city boys.
Grass fed, grain fed whatever. I guess I shouldn’t have thrown that in there. The bigger point is how beef in TX goes farm to table a lot quicker than it does in states that do not have a cattle industry.

Reactions: onewoof

NWADawg

May 4, 2016
Grass fed, grain fed whatever. I guess I shouldn’t have thrown that in there. The bigger point is how beef in TX goes farm to table a lot quicker than it does in states that do not have a cattle industry.
I don't think going from farm to table quickly is a plus. Not talking about ribeyes or filet but I still want beef to be aged some before cooking.

I think it's about the seasoning profile and the wood used.

I like the flavor mesquite gives and it grows like an invasive weed in parts of Texas.

patdog

May 28, 2007

The reason is it’s a heck of a lot cheaper to fatten a cow on corn than to let it grow naturally eating grass. For the record, both are good. Just different.

Reactions: dorndawg

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
Yep.
I was here for a good 8 months and didn't know why people liked bbq here so much. Finally a coworker asked why I ordered pork at Rudys and I asked What else is there?
That was the moment that I realized, you get brisket in Tx and pork in Tn,Ms,etc. BIG regional differences.
Ribs may be better in south as well. I've never been blown away by Tx ribs. But the brisket here is pure gold.
The spare ribs at Franklin BBQ will make you see Jesus. Best thing there.

• Haha
Reactions: HRMSU and hdogg

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004
I'm currently working in Texas, mediocre BBQ out here is better than any Memphis BBQ I've had.

Fight me.
Youre Wrong First Place GIF by Timothy Winchester

Reactions: Bobby Ricigliano

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
The reason is it’s a heck of a lot cheaper to fatten a cow on corn than to let it grow naturally eating grass. For the record, both are good. Just different.
I was born and raised on a beef cattle farm. I never ate a store bought steak or burger until I went to college. Grass fed means it’s leaner meat which means it’s probably better for you but has less taste. Fat or marbling is flavor in beef. Growing up Dad kept a steer in a small pen on corn and sweet feed to fatten it up before going to the processor. A steer directly off the pasture was always tough and stringy.

Reactions: mcdawg22

biodawg

Mar 3, 2008
Beef sausage > pork sausage
Brisket > pork shoulder
Beef ribs > pork ribs
I know I’m in the minority, but the sausage and ribs categories are pretty close to even for me. Beef and pork have their own unique qualities that I can appreciate, depending on what kind of mood I’m in. I’m definitely taking brisket over pulled pork 100% of the time, though.

Reactions: dorndawg

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
I was always the biggest Memphis ribs guy, but my favorite ribs were done my my BIL’s dad. They were dry rub vinegar and pepper and they were incredible. I can never recreate it though.

For pulled pork, I don’t even add sauce if I do it right. I’ll add it when reheating leftovers, but when it’s fresh, pork, Hawaiian Sweet roll. Done.
There was a bbq hut in West Point,MS for many years on the corner of Hwy 50 and Eshman Avenue. Was really kind of behind the gas station on the north side of Eshman. The chopped pork bbq was so damn good that most times I didn’t even put sauce on it.
You could get a tray of that and make sandwiches or have you a bbq plate that was some of the best pork bbq I’ve ever had!
Miss that place !!

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
I know I’m in the minority, but the sausage and ribs categories are pretty close to even for me. Beef and pork have their own unique qualities that I can appreciate, depending on what kind of mood I’m in. I’m definitely taking brisket over pulled pork 100% of the time, though.

I doubt you're in the minority. I like it all, but I will generally take pork sausage over beef sausage and pork ribs over beef ribs. I'd rather have brisket or roast, properly prepared, than a pork shoulder or ham.

And for grilling I'll take a beef steak over a pork steak nearly always.

But, again, I'm not turning any of it down and I certainly don't get as passionate about it as some. At the end of the day, it's fuel. But done right it's damn fine fuel.

Reactions: MSUDOG24

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
Beef BBQ is to pork BBQ as a ribeye is to a pork chop.

Love me a good pork chop, but a ribeye blows it out of the water. You can't beat beef flavor. The best flavor you can get with pork is to salt and cure the fat and make bacon.

Beef sausage > pork sausage
Brisket > pork shoulder
Beef ribs > pork ribs

Texas (particularly central Texas style) BBQ has taken over the country. You don't see hardly any Memphis, Carolina, or Kansas City style BBQ joints opening out of their little regions. Everywhere you go somebody is opening up a new Texas style BBQ joint.

View attachment 631977

Hell, the number one BBQ place in South Carolina isn't Rodney Scott's anymore, it's now a Texas Style BBQ joint. Lewis BBQ in Charleston is owned by John Lewis who was the first pit master Aaron Franklin hired nearly 20 years ago.

View attachment 631978
^ this

coming from a guy who grew up in the Sip and loved pulled pork. Brisket over pulled pork all day everyday but not Memphis brisket and not TX pulled pork. Best on best I'm going TX brisket and I never would have thought that but growing up in the Sip you can't get good brisket. It's hard getting good pork in TX. I still stand firm on the beans. Memphis style bbq beans can't be beat!

I still cook pork ribs but Pittman swears by the Beef ribs. Interestingly he grew up in the Southeast so he's pretty well rounded when it comes to Q.

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
I don't think going from farm to table quickly is a plus. Not talking about ribeyes or filet but I still want beef to be aged some before cooking.

I think it's about the seasoning profile and the wood used.

I like the flavor mesquite gives and it grows like an invasive weed in parts of Texas.
Post Oak is the staple in TX

Jacknut

Sep 29, 2022
Good BBQ does not need sauce. When I see BBQ covered in a bunch of sauce, it generally doesn’t taste good to me. If you get the rub and smoke right, pull at the proper temp, you won’t need sauce.
Yes! Why go to all the trouble to cook and smoke a certain way only to cover all that up with a sauce. Good BBQ should stand on its own.

Villagedawg

Nov 16, 2005
I think Carolina BBQ is just as good as Memphis. I honestly don’t even consider brisket when I’m thinking of BBQ.

If its cooked in a skillet, it's missing the wood smoke flavor and tastes like a restaurant steak instead of a grilled steak. Searing it doesn't give it wood smoke, it gives it burned (seared) meat smoke flavor.

As for sous vide, I've got better things to do rather than sitting around waiting for meat to warm up by heating it in a bag and pot of slowly circulating water in the house. My sister gave me one for Christmas, I tried it a few times and gave it back to her. It worked good for some veggies but I can steam them much faster than heating them slowly in a bag with circulating water. I asked her later how she liked the sous vide, said she hadn't tried it and would most likely donate it to a thrift store. Its just not my thing.......
I have a sous vide, and I use it for steak from time to time, but I agree. It's good, but there is something that is a bit off in the texture for me. I love the edge to edge perfect temp you get with it though. But reverse sear or just flip and flip on the grill is pretty hard to beat. The best thing I've done sous vide is chicken wings. That is pretty spot on.

Villagedawg

Nov 16, 2005
There was a bbq hut in West Point,MS for many years on the corner of Hwy 50 and Eshman Avenue. Was really kind of behind the gas station on the north side of Eshman. The chopped pork bbq was so damn good that most times I didn’t even put sauce on it.
You could get a tray of that and make sandwiches or have you a bbq plate that was some of the best pork bbq I’ve ever had!
Miss that place !!
I think you are talking about the east side of Eshman, Northeast corner. and yes, it was awesome. WP still has some of the best BBQ around. Try BBQ Drippings. Their truck is usually at the corner of Hwy 45 and 50.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
I'm just not generally an evangelist on how people eat their food. If you like ketchup or A-I on a steak, have at it. Whatever sauce you want to slather or drag your meat thru, go to town. Life's too short and people are different.

I may not like it that way, but there's surely things I like that many others don't.

NukeDogg

Mar 15, 2022
I'm just not generally an evangelist on how people eat their food. If you like ketchup or A-I on a steak, have at it. Whatever sauce you want to slather or drag your meat thru, go to town. Life's too short and people are different.

I may not like it that way, but there's surely things I like that many others don't.
Preach brother! If you like your whiskey neat, on the rocks, splash of water, mixed with diet coke, in a fruity umbrella drink with tequila and coconut, you do you...

rynodawg

May 29, 2007
We lived in New Bern, right up the road. For a marine base, Cherry Point seemed nice.
Yes that is where I lived, in a subdivision near the airport. The chain place my spouse would always want to go was smithfields,, it was edible but I was not ever a big fan.

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
The restaurant at the end of the shopping center our store is in will be opening a new bbq place in the next building over. I have not seen a pit, grill, or any other device approved for good bbq. The owners are customers, and I've poked around a little, but it definitely sounds like he plans on warming up whatever he wants from the sysco truck. I do not believe I will darken their doors.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
The restaurant at the end of the shopping center our store is in will be opening a new bbq place in the next building over. I have not seen a pit, grill, or any other device approved for good bbq. The owners are customers, and I've poked around a little, but it definitely sounds like he plans on warming up whatever he wants from the sysco truck. I do not believe I will darken their doors.
1724436195068.gif

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
I would give them a chance as long as they are not a chain. There is a decent place here where the dad cooks all night at home in smokers, and the meat is taken to the restaurants by each son in warmers.

Reactions: mcdawg22 and patdog

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
I would give them a chance as long as they are not a chain. There is a decent place here where the dad cooks all night at home in smokers, and the meat is taken to the restaurants by each son in warmers.
That's not this guy for sure....and if it is, he's using an easy bake.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login