OT - China

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
You need more than one source for your info. Low IQ window lickers like you are why this country is in such **** shape. You are told a bunch of BS, don't bother verifying a word of it, and carry it on as fact. Every damn word I said is 100% truthful. Yours, as usual, is ignorantly toting propaganda horseshit. You're either extraordinarily naive or just 17ing stupid. I'm betting on the latter.

If the Chinese police stations do not exist why did Christopher Wray, he's the FBI director since I'm sure you have no clue, say publicly they were aware of them and monitoring them here and in Toronto?

Wanting to see foreign hands off our country is not un-American. Blindly following an administration with a track record of being bribed by foreign countries, however, is.

I assume you're in denial about china owning 350,000+ and growing acres of land next to US military bases? Or is it "un-American " to be against this?

Dude, you have no 17ing clue what you're talking about.....at all. To call someone "un-American" for being against china's influence here and expecting our military to be the best in the world is foolish. Expected from you though

None of this is un-american dildorf. I hate China with as much as anyone. My only critique of anything say about China is that they are not "Police Stations" they are spy agencies. You would have to be invited to set up a foreign police station. Nobody should be calling them police stations.

Now what I am sick of is your goofy àss coming on here running down the US military with zero clue as to what you are talking about. That's what is un-american an cowardice.

These are your words and it's not the first time I have seen them:

Our military is promoting and recruiting the rainbow crew and theirs is promoting masculinity and strength. We regularly get our *** kicked in war games with our allies because they know we're going to do before we do. We are nowhere near as strong as we once were or should be.

Funny how you look at the whole post I made and somehow think I am calling you a coward because you hate China. Hell I'm with you on all that. I think you are a POS for constantly running down the US military on a message board without a clue about it.

You are constantly saying everyone else is buying media BS, yet here you are spewing it. Those stupid wargame and weak US military headlines are the fakest of all news.

Reactions: Dawgg and dorndawg

MrKotter

Aug 22, 2012
None of this is un-american dildorf. I hate China with as much as anyone. My only critique of anything say about China is that they are not "Police Stations" they are spy agencies. You would have to be invited to set up a foreign police station. Nobody should be calling them police stations.

Now what I am sick of is your goofy àss coming on here running down the US military with zero clue as to what you are talking about. That's what is un-american an cowardice.

These are your words and it's not the first time I have seen them:

Funny how you look at the whole post I made and somehow think I am calling you a coward because you hate China. Hell I'm with you on all that. I think you are a POS for constantly running down the US military on a message board without a clue about it.

You are constantly saying everyone else is buying media BS, yet here you are spewing it. Those stupid wargame and weak US military headlines are the fakest of all news.
Truth hurts sometimes pumpkin. I know exactly what I'm speaking about. You're the damn fool who keeps his head buried in his mommy's chest because you're too cowardly to face the truth.

Your argument that I'm running our military down is 17ing weak. Having high expectations for our military is something we all should have. Before you go off on anther ignorant rant you probably should look at what has changed with them the past 2 years. It's definitely not making them stronger. There's definite problems.

You clearly have no family or friends involved with our military. I have both. Navy, Marines and Air Force. Things aren't as good as they should be with any branch currently so go ******* yourself with your BS that I'm running them down. Like I stated earlier, little crybaby pussies like you are what's ruining this country

Now run along to your safe space

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
Let's see..... if push comes to shove we give up buying household goods, they give up eating. Seems fair.

On a recent visit to Germany a co-worker took us to a shopping mall and he mentioned that he noticed that when he toured the States most retail items he saw in stores were made in China. He said you don't see that in Germany. So, it is possible to wean ourselves off China.

Reactions: Dawgg and GomJabbar

Dawghouse

Sep 14, 2011
They don't have a long term if you look at their Demographics. Also, he's killed all of his smartest advisers that would be able to provide unfiltered feedback and guidance because he deemed them to be his biggest threat. Peter Zeihan is a fascinating Geopolitical Analyst to follow regarding China and many other things.

Unfortunately China's window is probably "now"....next 3-10 years. After the next 10 years they start to age out.

This is a very profound discussion on the topic. Listen or don't but you can no longer say you had no idea if you don't listen.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
You clearly have no family or friends involved with our military. I have both. Navy, Marines and Air Force. Things aren't as good as they should be with any branch currently so go ******* yourself with your BS that I'm running them down. Like I stated earlier, little crybaby pussies like you are what's ruining this country

Now run along to your safe space

I apologize. I am obviously way over my skis talking with someone who has the vast military experience of having "family and friends involved with our military."

Thank you for your service good sir. Please accept my sincerest apologies.

I'm going to my safe space now as I am the pússy in this internet kerfuffle.

Go Dawgs and GTHOMATAM

Is this better @She Mate Me ? I never mentioned a thing. Even after being called a pùssy, pumpkin, crybaby, mommy tìt sucker, and other hateful things. Lol, I think the dude even called me a "window licker" at one point. Going to have to use that one.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dawgg

MrKotter

Aug 22, 2012
I apologize. I am obviously way over my skis talking with someone who has the vast military experience of having "family and friends involved with our military."

Thank you for your service good sir. Please accept my sincerest apologies.

I'm going to my safe space now as I am the pússy in this internet kerfuffle.

Go Dawgs and GTHOMATAM

Is this better @She Mate Me ? I never mentioned a thing. Even after being called a pùssy, pumpkin, crybaby, mommy tìt sucker, and other hateful things. Lol, I think the dude even called me a "window licker" at one point. Going to have to use that one.
Cry more

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Why so hostile Kotter? I conceeded the W to you. I'll try harder.

You are obviously very well versed in a lotta the ins, a lotta the outs, a lotta the what-have-yous regarding military service and the combat readiness of the troops.

I'm just a beta cuck soy boy that wears skinny jeans, drinks IPAs, and eats avocado toast. You sir are a red blooded, hairy chested, American man that knows people involved in the military.

Happy World Cup GIF by FIFA

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
They have troops in Canada and South America , police and police stations in the US, are buying up land next to US military bases, flying balloons over military bases and have more politicians (both sides) on their payroll than many want to admit. They have the US by the balls more than the US has them. Our military is promoting and recruiting the rainbow crew and theirs is promoting masculinity and strength. We regularly get our *** kicked in war games with our allies because they know we're going to do before we do. We are nowhere near as strong as we once were or should be.

They certainly have been successful in compromising a lot of our politicians and institutions. That said, the only way they "have the US by the balls more than the US has them" is that our citizenship is less used to hardship and will be willing to cede more to avoid it. If **** really hits the fan, it would be disastrous for everybody, but at the end of the day, it would be more disastrous for them if we just went to an all out economic war or a true war.

Our risk is that Xi does something stupid and destructive like Putin because it's about his legacy and/or being surrounded by so many yes men that he doesn't have any good information to make decisions off of. That or Chinese leaders doing something desperate because they see the writing on the wall with respect to their aging population. I'm not sure the latter is that big of a risk though. How does starting anykind of economic or other war now help address a shrinking population?

If the Chinese were smart(er), they'd be conditioning promotions within the party and treatment by the party based on how many successful kids you have.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012

You are obviously very well versed in a lotta the ins, a lotta the outs, a lotta the what-have-yous regarding military service and the combat readiness of the troops.

I'm just a beta cuck soy boy that wears skinny jeans, drinks IPAs, and eats avocado toast. You sir are a red blooded, hairy chested, American man that knows people involved in the military.

You eat your avocado toast with a knife and fork? Never feels right to me. But messy af to pick it up and eat it like normal toast. I like to cut up a tomato on top of mine and put a fried egg or two on top. Cholula is my go-to hot sauce here.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
You eat your avocado toast with a knife and fork? Never feels right to me. But messy af to pick it up and eat it like normal toast. I like to cut up a tomato on top of mine and put a fried egg or two on top. Cholula is my go-to hot sauce here.
When I was in Korea and Japan, I always used a fork or spoon. Not because i was *** hole I just wanted to get the food from the bowl to my mouth without using my fingers.******

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Do you really believe that if they invade Taiwan, the US will cut off all trade? With all the economic influence politicians face, they will still flip the switch and walk away? Where would everything come from then? You call it short term asspain, but I dont think that even begins to accurately describe the world of hurt our economy would be in.

I could see a lot of products being made there and the 'made in china' economic laws then skirted in various legal ways to show the products come from elsewhere.
I’m only going to comment on the manufacturing side of things here because it’s what I know, but believe me when I say that cutting off trade with China would make the last 3 years of Covid related supply chain disruptions seem like a fleeting hiccup.

They’ve got a mixture of funding, volume, and technology that no other country in the world can match, and they are entrenched in everything we do. I’m not saying we would or should do nothing, but I don’t think some people can quite comprehend what breaking away from them really means globally

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
When I was in Korea and Japan, I always used a fork or spoon. Not because i was *** hole I just wanted to get the food from the bowl to my mouth without using my fingers.******
Cutting the toast with just a fork can be tricky. And what black magic 17ery were you using to cut toast with a spoon?

I've been thinking about taking a pizza cutter and slicing it into strips, see how that that works.

MrKotter

Aug 22, 2012

You came at me unprovoked then went told , I assume, a mod I called you names. Not hostile at all. Just calling it as I see it

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
This is a very profound discussion on the topic. Listen or don't but you can no longer say you had no idea if you don't listen.

I like that guy and view/read much of his content, but I don't agree with everything he says. He expresses too many "certainties."

Reactions: HRMSU

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
They certainly have been successful in compromising a lot of our politicians and institutions. That said, the only way they "have the US by the balls more than the US has them" is that our citizenship is less used to hardship and will be willing to cede more to avoid it. If **** really hits the fan, it would be disastrous for everybody, but at the end of the day, it would be more disastrous for them if we just went to an all out economic war or a true war.

Our risk is that Xi does something stupid and destructive like Putin because it's about his legacy and/or being surrounded by so many yes men that he doesn't have any good information to make decisions off of. That or Chinese leaders doing something desperate because they see the writing on the wall with respect to their aging population. I'm not sure the latter is that big of a risk though. How does starting anykind of economic or other war now help address a shrinking population?

If the Chinese were smart(er), they'd be conditioning promotions within the party and treatment by the party based on how many successful kids you have.
This was all true for 1940s Japan.....so they pulled off a devastating sneak attack to level the field. China certainly has that capability too.

That's the main issue. They're not just going to traditionally attack Taiwan and hope we just let it slide. They're going to cripple us first/simultaneously. Grid attack and cyber attack, in general but on the military specifically too. And will we want to enter a shooting war while the power is off at home?

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
So, it is possible to wean ourselves off China.
We badly need to. More of the manufacturing of "Amazon/Walmarks goods" need to be transitioned to Mexico (back in the US would be preferable). I realize that politicians (of both parties) and industry leaders have their hands deep in Chinese pockets though.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
We badly need to. More of the manufacturing of "Amazon/Walmarks goods" need to be transitioned to Mexico (back in the US would be preferable). I realize that politicians (of both parties) and industry leaders have their hands deep in Chinese pockets though.
We sadly can't staff what manufacturing we already have. Only thing coming back is going to be stuff that is capable of being highly automated. India seems to be where a lot of stuff is moving right now.

I did put an Amazon bought shelf together yesterday from Thailand. I knew it wasn't made in China as soon as I saw this page in the instructions. I think that's a ***** man.

PXL_20230531_204548420_copy_1701x2760.jpg

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Mostly on the left. With a California Congressman banging a Chinese spy, a California Senator having her personal driver known as a Chinese spy, then the President's son selling access to Chinese interests for millions. And the President himself taking a $5 mil cash payment from some other unnamed country. And the FBI not releasing texts and emails from Hunter's computer proving beyond a shadow of a doubt that the President is compromised illegally. While I'm sure a few GOP congressmen may have taken some money, they're more than likely all RINOs.
Mostly on the left?!?!

Protecting China is not a left issue. It isnt a right issue. Its a money issue and for years it has been grossly obvious that politicians belonging to both parties protect China for power/money. Chinese companies make deals with people and politicians benefit- its a thing and it exists regardless of political affiliation.

'but but but, Hunter Biden!'
17ing clown.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
We would be in a world of hurt right now without trade from China. Pharmaceuticals alone would be enough. The poster above who said the Chinese need us more than we need them is misinformed. It's the other way around and in a big way.

Last edited:

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I’m only going to comment on the manufacturing side of things here because it’s what I know, but believe me when I say that cutting off trade with China would make the last 3 years of Covid related supply chain disruptions seem like a fleeting hiccup.

They’ve got a mixture of funding, volume, and technology that no other country in the world can match, and they are entrenched in everything we do. I’m not saying we would or should do nothing, but I don’t think some people can quite comprehend what breaking away from them really means globally
This. This all day. This needs to be a sticky on the board's main page for the next 2.5 months until football starts because maybe it would help stop dumb people from claiming dumb things during the slow summer.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
You came at me unprovoked then went told , I assume, a mod I called you names. Not hostile at all. Just calling it as I see it
You really have no idea what's going on here do you. Bless your heart.

Not sure if you are up to speed on your Ted Lasso, but next time you think you have someone figured out be curious, not judgemental.

ezgif.com-optimize (1).gif

Last edited:

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
They have troops in Canada and South America , police and police stations in the US, are buying up land next to US military bases, flying balloons over military bases and have more politicians (both sides) on their payroll than many want to admit. They have the US by the balls more than the US has them. Our military is promoting and recruiting the rainbow crew and theirs is promoting masculinity and strength. We regularly get our *** kicked in war games with our allies because they know we're going to do before we do. We are nowhere near as strong as we once were or should be.
- Troops in Canada and on another continent is, to me, fundamentally different from troops in the US. We are the US, we are not Canada and we are not Suriname(its a country in South America). If China has troops in other countries...well ok then. Thats either Ok with the other countries or its their issue to work out. Why the 17 are you listing that? Oh, and dont look now, but the US has a ton of military bases on other continents and even right next to China.

- Police stations in the US is, to me, a misnomer. They are spies.

- If land is for sale and it legally sold, then what you complaining about? I genuinely dont follow the outrage news so I dont know if you are referring to China the government or China the country when you say 'they' are buying land next to military bases. If its companies from China and they develop the land to build warehousing and/or manufacturing...why is that bad?

- flying balloons over military bases, or really the country at all, is just such a funny outrage issue that it is difficult to even give half a 17. China has been able to zoom in on any part of the US for years thru satellite images, but a balloon floating all around is what scares you? https://www.insider.com/china-space-race-satellite-high-resolution-san-francisco-in-seconds-2021-12

- As for politicians on payroll, once more- not really sure how that is proven at some large scale. But the only way to stop it would be to ban political donations and give each politician a set budget to use for campaigning. Even then, friends/relatives could get jobs that are paid for by nefarious companies/influencers.

- I dont know what a 'rainbow crew' is, but I am sure it is some BS phrase and issue that was thought of by an outrage media commentator.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
- If land is for sale and it legally sold, then what you complaining about? I genuinely dont follow the outrage news so I dont know if you are referring to China the government or China the country when you say 'they' are buying land next to military bases. If its companies from China and they develop the land to build warehousing and/or manufacturing...why is that bad?

I am a little unclear on it. I think the idea is that ownership gives them the flexibility to "do something" without being detected and that being close to the military base is important for whatever that is, so owning the land is or will be a strategic asset. I don't know if they don't know exactly what could be done with it but are concerned they are missing something or if people in the intelligence/military community have some ideas and don't want to advertise them.

I think some of the general outrage for it is that they are appalled that they just own American land, without realizing that if we ever get into a dispute, it will be advantageous for them to have land we can just take.

- flying balloons over military bases, or really the country at all, is just such a funny outrage issue that it is difficult to even give half a 17. China has been able to zoom in on any part of the US for years thru satellite images, but a balloon floating all around is what scares you? https://www.insider.com/china-space-race-satellite-high-resolution-san-francisco-in-seconds-2021-12
I guess the question would be if they aren't getting more from the balloons than from spy satellites, why are they messing with the balloons. Plus probably some concern that the balloons have the potential for a payload that satellites don't. Not sure what the payload capacity actually would be though. I assume it would have to be biological agent or something.

Last edited:

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
I guess the question would be if they aren't getting more from the balloons than from spy satellites, why are they messing with the balloons. Plus probably some concern that the weather balloons have the potential for a payload that satellites don't. Not sure what the payload capacity actually would be though. I assume it would have to be biological agent or something.
Almost makes you wonder if they'd ever do things just to get weak-minded Americans riled up?*

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
It would hard for us, but devastating for the ChiComs, we wouldn't cut off all trade, but a lot of it would be impacted. In the long run, moving those manufacturing sites to Mexico would be beneficial for both us and our neighbors to the south.
This isn’t a knock on the idea of moving manufacturing to Mexico because there are some substantial benefits to doing so. However, comparing our friends to the south to China manufacturing really is night and day. For example, let’s say you’ve got two options for building a house.

Option 1) You tell the contractor what you want, they plan, they build it, they stay on schedule, and they offer you the lowest possible price.

Option 2) You tell the contractor what you want, and they’ll provide competitive labor. However, you’ll have to provide the plans, teach them how to read them, find the supplies for them, tell them what equipment they’ll need to build, train them on said equipment, and spend the next 2-3 years on location to troubleshoot and help make sure things stay on schedule. All when it inevitably won’t stay on schedule

I love our plants across the border, but the above two scenarios represent the reality of trying to compare Chinese and MX manufacturing today

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I am a little unclear on it. I think the idea is that ownership gives them the flexibility to "do something" without being detected and that being close to the military base is important for whatever that is, so owning the land is or will be a strategic asset. I don't know if they know exactly what could be done with it that or if people in the intelligence/military community have some ideas and don't want to advertise them.
I think some of the general outrage for it is that they are appalled that they just own American land, without realizing that if we ever get into a dispute, it will be advantageous for them to have land we can just take.

I guess the question would be if they aren't getting more from the balloons than from spy satellites, why are they messing with the balloons. Plus probably some concern that the weather balloons have the potential for a payload that satellites don't. Not sure what the payload capacity actually would be though. I assume it would have to be biological agent or something.

On your first point, yes I agree there are many possibilities/unknowns. It seems pretty dumb, to me, to take unknowns and create narratives around those unknowns and then get outraged over the created narratives. That seems to be what some are doing here. Kotter doesnt know if it is dangerous, doesnt know if it is nefarious, doesnt know anything really, but that sure wont stop him from frothing up in outrage because 'news' he was pushed planted seeds or outright told him to be outraged.
As a country we would need to change land ownership laws to stop what Kotter is complaining about. Thats a fundamental change.

The balloon incidents are odd to me too, admittedly. No idea what the purpose was.
- Did they just want to troll the US? If so, it worked. Holy hell did it ever work- people were frothed up and outraged for weeks.
- Were the devices really runaway devices?
- Perhaps they were seeing how far they could go so they can figure out how to drop a chemical weapon. At the same time, just send it in a container ship or any of the 500million parcels that come into the US each day from China. Deliver it to an ally in the US and release it in the air/water. That seems infinitely easier than going full steampunk and building a 17ing dirigible. Rube Goldberg wouldnt even go to that much effort if releasing a chemical agent was the goal.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
I am a little unclear on it. I think the idea is that ownership gives them the flexibility to "do something" without being detected and that being close to the military base is important for whatever that is, so owning the land is or will be a strategic asset. I don't know if they don't know exactly what could be done with it but are concerned they are missing something or if people in the intelligence/military community have some ideas and don't want to advertise them.

I guess the question would be if they aren't getting more from the balloons than from spy satellites, why are they messing with the balloons. Plus probably some concern that the balloons have the potential for a payload that satellites don't. Not sure what the payload capacity actually would be though. I assume it would have to be biological agent or something.
I think it's that signals intelligence is better from a balloon, not pictures. But for anyone scared of the signals intelligence they got from a few balloons, let me tell you of this thing called Tik Tok......

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
This isn’t a knock on the idea of moving manufacturing to Mexico because there are some substantial benefits to doing so. However, comparing our friends to the south to China manufacturing really is night and day. For example, let’s say you’ve got two options for building a house.

Option 1) You tell the contractor what you want, they plan, they build it, they stay on schedule, and they offer you the lowest possible price.

Option 2) You tell the contractor what you want, and they’ll provide competitive labor. However, you’ll have to provide the plans, teach them how to read them, find the supplies for them, tell them what equipment they’ll need to build, train them on said equipment, and spend the next 2-3 years on location to troubleshoot and help make sure things stay on schedule. All when it inevitably won’t stay on schedule

I love our plants across the border, but the above two scenarios represent the reality of trying to compare Chinese and MX manufacturing today
yes, i concur with all this, it would take a heavy investment in Mexico and a long spin up period, but in the long range it would be good. In the short term (out to 10 years), there'd be a ton of asspain and global economies would be greatly impacted.

China has us by the short hairs and we have them by the short hairs, that's why I don't think China will make a move.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
On your first point, yes I agree there are many possibilities/unknowns. It seems pretty dumb, to me, to take unknowns and create narratives around those unknowns and then get outraged over the created narratives. That seems to be what some are doing here. Kotter doesnt know if it is dangerous, doesnt know if it is nefarious, doesnt know anything really, but that sure wont stop him from frothing up in outrage because 'news' he was pushed planted seeds or outright told him to be outraged.
As a country we would need to change land ownership laws to stop what Kotter is complaining about. Thats a fundamental change.

I will say that Chinese investors have been buying farmland in america for a while. I'm sure a lot of these investors are tied to the communist party b/c that's probably where they make their money, but I don't think it's nefarious. I think they know there are a lot of smoke and mirrors in Chinese numbers and view US farmland as one of if not the safest investments in the world. Not necessarily the most profitable, but they have made their money and want to protect it as much as they want to grow it. Also I assume at least some of them are worried about ending up on the wrong side of intraparty politics at some point and want to make sure they have an escape plan.

And if enough farm land is bought, you're going to end up adjacent to military bases at some point. Now if there is desert land or something being bought, that doesn't have the same explanatory power. Not sure on which bases people are concerned about. .

The balloon incidents are odd to me too, admittedly. No idea what the purpose was.
- Did they just want to troll the US? If so, it worked. Holy hell did it ever work- people were frothed up and outraged for weeks.
- Were the devices really runaway devices?
- Perhaps they were seeing how far they could go so they can figure out how to drop a chemical weapon. At the same time, just send it in a container ship or any of the 500million parcels that come into the US each day from China. Deliver it to an ally in the US and release it in the air/water. That seems infinitely easier than going full steampunk and building a 17ing dirigible. Rube Goldberg wouldnt even go to that much effort if releasing a chemical agent was the goal.
My uneducated guess is that it was partly about testing our capabilities of detecting the balloons and partly a line crossing exercise. If the balloons really don't offer anything from an intelligence standpoint, there's not much reason to use them except that them not offering much makes it that much easier for an administration to let it slide and de facto accept an infringement on our air space. Just take an inch or two here where the stakes are low and hope it puts you in a position to take more later when the opportunity arises.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Mostly on the left?!?!

Protecting China is not a left issue. It isnt a right issue. Its a money issue and for years it has been grossly obvious that politicians belonging to both parties protect China for power/money. Chinese companies make deals with people and politicians benefit- its a thing and it exists regardless of political affiliation.

'but but but, Hunter Biden!'
17ing clown.
Is it really a political issue? I see it as a consumer issue. We saw what happened when egg prices went up, what would the uproar look like if IPhones and TVs went up 50%? Much like a lot of things we want to blame everyone but ourselves. I love when I see somebody that raises hell about China but has a TCL or Hisense in their living room. If you hate China that bad, at least buy products that have options from other countries.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I will say that Chinese investors have been buying farmland in america for a while. I'm sure a lot of these investors are tied to the communist party b/c that's probably where they make their money, but I don't think it's nefarious. I think they know there are a lot of smoke and mirrors in Chinese numbers and view US farmland as one of if not the safest investments in the world. Not necessarily the most profitable, but they have made their money and want to protect it as much as they want to grow it. Also I assume at least some of them are worried about ending up on the wrong side of intraparty politics at some point and want to make sure they have an escape plan.

And if enough farm land is bought, you're going to end up adjacent to military bases at some point. Now if there is desert land or something being bought, that doesn't have the same explanatory power. Not sure on which bases people are concerned about. .

My uneducated guess is that it was partly about testing our capabilities of detecting the balloons and partly a line crossing exercise. If the balloons really don't offer anything from an intelligence standpoint, there's not much reason to use them except that them not offering much makes it that much easier for an administration to let it slide and de facto accept an infringement on our air space. Just take an inch or two here where the stakes are low and hope it puts you in a position to take more later when the opportunity arises.
Yeah, both comments are very reasonable and I could totally see them being the case.
I live in farmville USA and Chinese companies have bought land and ag-businesses all around here- its really not evil, its just investing. No military bases near me though.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
That's exactly why i listed Mexico first. We are much better able to protect and influence our concerns in Mexico.
For sure and a lot of its already coming, but it's a drop in the bucket. There are some challenges, but a strong Mexican and Central American manufacturing solves a lot of issues for our economy... At least in the short term.

The current drawback to Mexico is infrastructure. Mexico will need a hundreds of billions of dollars in infrastructure investment, much of which would come from the US or US companies.

The long-term problem is we end up back over the barrel in 20 years, but with Mexico instead of China.

When I think of all it would take, I then ask why not just build all the facilities in the US? And give as many visas a year to Mexican and Central American workers as it takes to staff up. Could be millions over a few decades.

We close up the borders to prevent illegal immigration. Pay fair enough wages to allow workers to send money back home if necessary and provide a 10 year path to citizenship for legal manufacturing workers.

Then when I think about that, I just say 17 it. In 10 years we can have Ai and robots build everything and we collect monthly checks for just sitting on our butts since there are no jobs left. We do this for a few decades until we are killed off by the robots.

This is complicated shìt man.

• Haha
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login