OT - China

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
My uneducated guess is that it was partly about testing our capabilities of detecting the balloons and partly a line crossing exercise. If the balloons really don't offer anything from an intelligence standpoint, there's not much reason to use them except that them not offering much makes it that much easier for an administration to let it slide and de facto accept an infringement on our air space. Just take an inch or two here where the stakes are low and hope it puts you in a position to take more later when the opportunity ariarises
Except that these balloons operate at heights that are legal for them. At those altitudes, it's not an infringement. So probably an exercise to see how we'd react to discovering they found a loophole. They probably planted most of the outrage stories. The answer appears to be we will still shoot, but not endanger life (and did we wait for it to descend into our airspace?). So how will we react if they take Taiwan before we can respond (ss posts about crippling us first), and then plant air defense and such in schools etc. I think we know.

Reactions: Dawgg

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
They certainly have been successful in compromising a lot of our politicians and institutions. That said, the only way they "have the US by the balls more than the US has them" is that our citizenship is less used to hardship and will be willing to cede more to avoid it. If **** really hits the fan, it would be disastrous for everybody, but at the end of the day, it would be more disastrous for them if we just went to an all out economic war or a true war.

Our risk is that Xi does something stupid and destructive like Putin because it's about his legacy and/or being surrounded by so many yes men that he doesn't have any good information to make decisions off of. That or Chinese leaders doing something desperate because they see the writing on the wall with respect to their aging population. I'm not sure the latter is that big of a risk though. How does starting anykind of economic or other war now help address a shrinking population?

If the Chinese were smart(er), they'd be conditioning promotions within the party and treatment by the party based on how many successful kids you have.

I was with you until the last paragraph. Less than 7% of their population are actually members of the CCP which is why they suppress the truth so much. They are scared of their population. So, 7% is still a big number but it wouldn't help their demographics problem and it would take decades for those kids born today to make an impact.....that's simply too late for them.

Ironic how Social engineering and forced outcomes by their government might actually be their downfall.

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
I like that guy and view/read much of his content, but I don't agree with everything he says. He expresses too many "certainties."

I'm not sure we should agree with everything anybody says but I'm like you and really like this guy's takes. He seems to know a lot about a lot of topics which makes me think he can't possibly be right on everything. I do think he is directionally correct on most topics.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I was with you until the last paragraph. Less than 7% of their population are actually members of the CCP which is why they suppress the truth so much. They are scared of their population. So, 7% is still a big number but it wouldn't help their demographics problem and it would take decades for those kids born today to make an impact.....that's simply too late for them.

Ironic how Social engineering and forced outcomes by their government might actually be their downfall.
That "treatment by the party" phrase was doing a lot of work there. I think they're heavy handed enough in enough areas that they could move the needle a lot.

Reactions: HRMSU

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
yes, i concur with all this, it would take a heavy investment in Mexico and a long spin up period, but in the long range it would be good. In the short term (out to 10 years), there'd be a ton of asspain and global economies would be greatly impacted.

China has us by the short hairs and we have them by the short hairs, that's why I don't think China will make a move.

Like kinda of what we did in China since they "re-opened"

I'll default to the Mfg experts on here but even China is moving mfg of some things out of China. Also, they are no longer the low cost mfg. Sure they have infrastructure and expertise relative to other low cost manufacturers but in the long run we will no longer subsidize the safety of trade routes. That will be factored into the overall cost along with the geopolitical risk.

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
- Troops in Canada and on another continent is, to me, fundamentally different from troops in the US. We are the US, we are not Canada and we are not Suriname(its a country in South America). If China has troops in other countries...well ok then. Thats either Ok with the other countries or its their issue to work out. Why the 17 are you listing that? Oh, and dont look now, but the US has a ton of military bases on other continents and even right next to China.

- Police stations in the US is, to me, a misnomer. They are spies.

- If land is for sale and it legally sold, then what you complaining about? I genuinely dont follow the outrage news so I dont know if you are referring to China the government or China the country when you say 'they' are buying land next to military bases. If its companies from China and they develop the land to build warehousing and/or manufacturing...why is that bad?

- flying balloons over military bases, or really the country at all, is just such a funny outrage issue that it is difficult to even give half a 17. China has been able to zoom in on any part of the US for years thru satellite images, but a balloon floating all around is what scares you? https://www.insider.com/china-space-race-satellite-high-resolution-san-francisco-in-seconds-2021-12

- As for politicians on payroll, once more- not really sure how that is proven at some large scale. But the only way to stop it would be to ban political donations and give each politician a set budget to use for campaigning. Even then, friends/relatives could get jobs that are paid for by nefarious companies/influencers.

- I dont know what a 'rainbow crew' is, but I am sure it is some BS phrase and issue that was thought of by an outrage media commentator.

No real bones to pick here except that China the government is China the Country regarding Chinese businesses buying US land.

In fact, even in China they only allow Joint Ventures with foreigners. The partner or entity must be a Chinese National and they are part of the 7%. Members of the CCP.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
I would love to know how many politicians on both sides of the isle indirectly receive significant "contributions" from the Chinese.
My guess would be 30/35% minimum. Probably half or more of the Dems and at least a fourth of the Republicans

BulldogLegacy

Feb 27, 2008
They have troops in Canada and South America , police and police stations in the US, are buying up land next to US military bases, flying balloons over military bases and have more politicians (both sides) on their payroll than many want to admit. They have the US by the balls more than the US has them. Our military is promoting and recruiting the rainbow crew and theirs is promoting masculinity and strength. We regularly get our *** kicked in war games with our allies because they know we're going to do before we do. We are nowhere near as strong as we once were or should be.
Lol. This guy politics.

Reactions: Dawgg

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
See all the millions from China to Team Biden being recently discovered. See the Afghan withdrawal. Even Obama said "Never underestimate Joe's ability to 17 things up".

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Inaccurate and stupid.
Here is an SPS classic for you.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login