OT: Cowboys Game / Dallas recs

Independent George

Sep 21, 2014
The wife and I made a last minute decision to take our three kids to the Cowboys game tomorrow against Washington. We’ve never been to a Cowboys game before so asking the Pack for recommendations as it relates to going to the game, activities around the game, parking, eating, other stuff to do in Dallas area, etc.

Kids are 13, 10, and 6. We already got the tickets so we are good there. Going to be staying for four nights. Thanks much.

dawgman42

Jul 24, 2007
Go to the Perot Museum of Nature and Science. Really cool place in downtown Dallas.

Independent George

Sep 21, 2014
Thanks for the info. Good stuff and will look into these. How about some good places to eat? Keep it coming. Thanks.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
For kids, the Perot is awesome, as is the Dallas World Aquarium downtown. It's 20-30 minutes from the AT&T Stadium depending on traffic on any given day.

Also:
Not far from AT&T Stadium is Epic Waters, an indoor water park in Grand Prairie.

Right around the corner from Epic Waters is PlayGrand, a HUGE free outdoor park.

Of course, you'll also be right beside Six Flags.

There's a Legoland Discovery Center inside the Grapevine Mills mall. It's relatively cheap and pretty low maintenance.

The Magic Time Machine is a restaurant where all of the waiters and waitresses dress like comic/movie/music characters and the booths all have a theme.

The Stockyards in Fort Worth are usually worth going to if you're looking for something extremely stereotypically Texan. Be sure to check their cattle drive schedule so you can see them march the cattle through the middle of town.

There’s an immersive Van Gogh exhibit at Choctaw Stadium (the old Rangers stadium).

Prairie Lights is a popular drive-thru light show not far from there. Not sure if it’s still going.

If your kids like baseball, you might check out Warstic in Deep Ellum. Since you have kids, go during the day. It’s a baseball apparel and equipment company co-owned by a former State baseball player.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Haven't been there yet but the newly minted #1 BBQ spot in TX is in Fort Worth.. Goldee's.

Other BBQ
Pecan Lodge
Hutchins
Lockhart Smokehouse
And if you're in a pinch and want the experience, Hard 8.

Mexican Food
(I'm not a fan of Joe T Garcia's, tourist trap and real hit or miss on the food.)
Mariano's La Hacienda Ranch
Gloria's
Avila's
Meso Maya

Steaks
Pappas Bros
Rick's Chophouse
Nick and Sam's
Bob's
Knife

Burgers
Ye Old Butcher Shop (best on earth)
Kenny's
Fred's (ft worth)
Liberty Burger

American
Town Hearth
Neighborhood Services
Harvest
CBD Provisions

My favorite places mostly east of 75 Dallas

Jimmy's Food Store
Campisis Egyptian (pizza place where Ruby hung around mafia)
Goodfriend Biergarten
Allgood Cafe
Uncle Uber's Sammich Shop
Legacy Hall Foodcourt
Bubba's Cooks Country
Babes Chicken (family style)
Celebration Restaurant (Meatloaf heaven)

Independent George

Sep 21, 2014
Haven't been there yet but the newly minted #1 BBQ spot in TX is in Fort Worth.. Goldee's.

Other BBQ
Pecan Lodge
Hutchins
Lockhart Smokehouse
And if you're in a pinch and want the experience, Hard 8.

Mexican Food
(I'm not a fan of Joe T Garcia's, tourist trap and real hit or miss on the food.)
Mariano's La Hacienda Ranch
Gloria's
Avila's
Meso Maya

Steaks
Pappas Bros
Rick's Chophouse
Nick and Sam's
Bob's
Knife

Burgers
Ye Old Butcher Shop (best on earth)
Kenny's
Fred's (ft worth)
Liberty Burger

American
Town Hearth
Neighborhood Services
Harvest
CBD Provisions

My favorite places mostly east of 75 Dallas

Jimmy's Food Store
Campisis Egyptian (pizza place where Ruby hung around mafia)
Goodfriend Biergarten
Allgood Cafe
Uncle Uber's Sammich Shop
Legacy Hall Foodcourt
Bubba's Cooks Country
Babes Chicken (family style)
Celebration Restaurant (Meatloaf heaven)

Great list. Thanks for this.

Independent George

Sep 21, 2014
If your kids like baseball, you might check out Warstic in Deep Ellum. Since you have kids, go during the day. It’s a baseball apparel and equipment company co-owned by a former State baseball player.

My 13yo son is a ball player. He actually has a couple Warstic bats including a brand new one he got today for Christmas. I think the Warstic store is on our list. Thanks for the advice.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Assuming it’s still being played, the First Responder’s Bowl is Tuesday afternoon and the tickets are going for couch change. It’s at SMU and should be over just in time for the Liberty Bowl.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
My 13yo son is a ball player. He actually has a couple Warstic bats including a brand new one he got today for Christmas. I think the Warstic store is on our list. Thanks for the advice.

Grab lunch at Allgood Cafe and then head over to Warstic. They are on the same block 200' apart. Allgood has arguably the best chicken fried steak you will ever eat.

Lawdawg.sixpack

Jul 22, 2012
^^ Eat a steak at Cattleman’s at the Stockyards. Seems like it would be a tourist trap, but it’s not. Drover-esque.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Agreed on Dreamscapes. I’ve done the whale adventure and the alien zoo. Both were excellent.

Cheddar Bob

Oct 13, 2020
^^ Eat a steak at Cattleman’s at the Stockyards. Seems like it would be a tourist trap, but it’s not. Drover-esque.
I almost went inside there when I was in Fort Worth in February, and I reckon I probably should have. We ended up eating at the BBQ place with the patio on the east end of the stockyards, which was also great, but I was really fiending a steak that particular night. It is a great place, and I love the neverending rodeo.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Corky’s Pizza on Little Road in Arlington is really good too.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Some good places at the stockyard. Had One of the best chicken fried steaks ever there a few years ago.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
So George, what are you doing for the playoffs?

You and your family are clearly the missing piece the Cowboys have needed all season.

Independent George

Sep 21, 2014
Sorry for the late reply. We were really late getting in last night.

The game was awesome. That was all our first experience at an NFL game. The stadium and the atmosphere was incredible. We were in the 400 section so pretty far up but our view of the game was still great. Incredible how loud it gets in there. We were planning to eat somewhere before the game. We ended up having to eat at the stadium because of traffic between Shreveport and Dallas. Not surprised but it was expensive as hell. Spent $150 on food and drinks for the five of us.

Best thing was watching Dak ball out. I haven’t seen him play in person since 2015. Was happy to see him do so well. I know WFT is terrible but still.

We are heading to Six Flags today and then will figure it out afterwards. Thanks for all the recommendations. We will definitely be using some of these.

BTW: the family and I are happy to continue the good mojo into the playoffs. We will have to set up a go fund me to bankroll it though. I would be bankrupt by the third game.

Independent George

Sep 21, 2014
First thing we see as we walk into Six Flags….

Man wearing a t shirt that says “My wives are probably looking for me”. Two women behind him wearing shirts that say “wife 1” and “wife 2”. Five kids with them that all had on matching shirts as well.

They ALL had on Fanny packs as well. SMH….

ETA: the guy has on jorts as well.

Last edited:

Nunya.sixpack

Jun 10, 2019
First thing we see as we walk into Six Flags….

Man wearing a t shirt that says “My wives are probably looking for me”. Two women behind him wearing shirts that say “wife 1” and “wife 2”. Five kids with them that all had on matching shirts as well.

They ALL had on Fanny packs as well. SMH….

ETA: the guy has on jorts as well.

He posts on the pack

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
That place has a loyal following…

Corky’s Pizza on Little Road in Arlington is really good too.

I live close to there, and they are always busy. The one time we visited, they burned the ever living hell out of ours and I haven’t been back. But maybe I should give it another shot….

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login