OT: Cut the cord today.

RivaDawg

Feb 26, 2008
Directv was going up on bill over $40 to over $200. Of, course they said you are a twenty year customer we can cut you a deal. Nope turn it off!

What is best streaming service. YouTubeTV I remember had good reviews in previous threads.

Thanks in advance or 17 you in advance. I’m both passive and aggressive.

Nov 16, 2012
I was a 20 year dish guy and now I love my Roku plus YouTube TV. Wish I had made the switch long before. Roku and YouTube TV currently fighting so I guess I would have to switch to Hulu if they can’t come to terms but I hear Hulu is good also

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Until Bally Sports figures their **** out with the streaming services I’m sticking with Directv.

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
Similarily, I'm sticking with Dish because it has all I want to watch. Expensive, but I suppose I'm OK with it. I'm not even sure what it costs any longer. I'd probably go with Google if it was available, but I can't get it.

A friend just switched to YouTube TV. One thing missing is History Channel, and that's one I watch frequently so I won't go that route.

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
If you’re not a big MLB or NBA fan that needs the Sinclair channels then YTTV is excellent. I’ve had it for over a year and love it.

Dawg1979

Jun 23, 2015
Had Hulu for over a year. Lots of lag and buffering. I have the fastest internet offered. We switched to Fubo. I really like it so far. No issues yet

fevans

Aug 27, 2012
We had YTTV for over a year and recently switched to Fubo and they are both good.

missouridawg

Oct 6, 2009
I was a 20 year dish guy and now I love my Roku plus YouTube TV. Wish I had made the switch long before. Roku and YouTube TV currently fighting so I guess I would have to switch to Hulu if they can’t come to terms but I hear Hulu is good also

I have Apple TV and Roku. Apple TV is far superior. Keeping my eye on those negotiations too.

SheltonChoked

Feb 27, 2008
Directv was going up on bill over $40 to over $200. Of, course they said you are a twenty year customer we can cut you a deal. Nope turn it off!

What is best streaming service. YouTubeTV I remember had good reviews in previous threads.

Thanks in advance or 17 you in advance. I’m both passive and aggressive.

I have roku's and a firestick and an apple tv. all have pluses and minues. I've read good things about the new Chromecasts.

I have Hulu live. Ive never had an issue with load time or buffering, but i'm on gig fiber.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Until Bally Sports figures their **** out with the streaming services I’m sticking with Directv.

If you’re wanting Bally sports just for MLB (I think you’re a cards fan), check out MLB TV. You can get a package just for the cards. That’s what I do, I think it’s less than $100/annually.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I have Apple TV and Roku. Apple TV is far superior. Keeping my eye on those negotiations too.

The appletv remote is infuriatingly slick and small.
And the fact that tricks/usability is sorta hidden u til you happen to find it is also annoying.
I love how it remembers email addresses and you can quickly sign into new apps.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
The appletv remote is infuriatingly slick and small.
And the fact that tricks/usability is sorta hidden u til you happen to find it is also annoying.
I love how it remembers email addresses and you can quickly sign into new apps.

It is really made to dovetail with your other Apple products and they are moving towards it gaming more - But... they are eventually releasing a new design with one built for games and another less expensive version for TV movie and TV. The leaks sound like they are finally making some overdue changes for the 2021 Model on May 21, especially the remote.

https://www.tomsguide.com/news/new-apple-tv-4k-vs-old-apple-tv-4k-whats-the-difference

KOdawg1

Apr 25, 2021
I'd love to cut the cord, but I live in the middle of nowhere and have to rely on satellite internet, and I don't think it would sustain a streaming service. Maybe I'm wrong though.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
YoutubeTV+internet cost the same as my current cable+internet. Ya'll need to do a better job negotiating your cable bill.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
Roku just sent me an email saying they and Google can’t reach terms and YouTube TV is about to go off.

That’s a dick punch in my house.

$altyDawg

Aug 30, 2018
If I had internet out in the podunk middle of nowhere I would have long since cut the cord. But until Elon saves me with Starlink or my electric co-op (TVEPA) starts putting fiber out my way, I have to bend over and take it from Dish. Until then, ya'll keep up the good work of letting me know who the best streaming services are. Whenever internet does come to podunk, I'll be ditching Dish the very next day.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
YoutubeTV+internet cost the same as my current cable+internet. Ya'll need to do a better job negotiating your cable bill.

What he said. The only advantage I can see from cord cutting is you can change providers so easily. And I just got a TV for our patio with roku already on it - using the xfinity stream app and it's like having a cable without having it. The only "issue" is you can't easily go to a channel by typing in the number.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
In Memphis market we cant Cardinals, Braves, and, for some reason, the Reds on MLB TV. Its crazy that its easier to access Braves games in Nebraska than in MS.

It's the idiotic MLB blackout rules. For some reason, they identify three "home markets" in the Memphis area, and it's the three you mention. So, if you are streaming on an app in Memphis, those are blacked out, because if you have local programming on xfinity or dish, you get those games as part of your local sports package.

If you're a fan of a different MLB team than those three, and you watch their games on Extra Innings or MLB TV, they get blacked out if they play one of the three local teams, forcing you to watch the local broadcast.

I understand blackout rules in the 1980s. But they're stupid today with all the options out there for streaming and viewing games. They need to come up with a better plan.

And as far as Memphis "home teams".....I get St. Louis. It's right up the river and their AAA team is here. I get Atlanta. It's six hours down the road. But Cincinnati? That doesn't make any damn sense.

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
Roku just sent me an email saying they and Google can’t reach terms and YouTube TV is about to go off.

With Roku controlling 45% of the streaming set top box market, its idiotic at best for google to choose to die on that hill. Roku isn't even asking for more money. They just want terms that doesn't favor Chromecast devices and they don't want Google to demand that Roku's search favor Google products.

SheltonChoked

Feb 27, 2008

If i just had one TV, I'd be close to the same. But add DVR, HD, And extra TV's and the price goes up quick.

And ATT internet gives me HBO for free. Verizon cell phone gives me Disney+.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I did the YouTube free offer but didn't like it as much as Hulu Live, both are $64.99. W/ Hulu Live though you not only get the live stuff but access to their entire library which you don't get w/ YouTube. Plus if you need it you can add on Disney + and ESPN+ for $8 more. I don't have either now, I'm fine w/ internet plus an antenna plus Roku w/ Netflix and regular Hulu. W/ the antenna you don't have to worry about all the negotiating between the networks when that crap starts.

Jun 9, 2015

Just got an update this morning that if you have the YouTube TV app on your Roku, you’ll get to keep it for the time being. Just no new downloads.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
A friend just switched to YouTube TV. One thing missing is History Channel, and that's one I watch frequently so I won't go that route.

That is the exact reason I went with Fubo TV. It has been very good. I watch it on both my Samsung Smart TV and Roku. If you pay in 3 month blocks you get the best deal for the regular price. That is 200+ Channels, 1000 hours of cloud DVR, family share allows out of home viewing and 10 streams at the same time. If you like soccer there are a bunch of channels. Downside is the guide and how it works is not near as good as Dish or Directv. previous channel doesn't really work on either of my devices.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
The Roku YoutubeTV fight is funny to me. Am I going to completely change my TV subscription my preferences, my recordings or go buy a $20 Firestick. Hell, my Roku loses signal 3 times more than any other device in the house.

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
The Internet services out in a lot of rural areas is frustrating. I cut the cord a year or two ago and it's damn pain keeping internet that works via cell towers.

Four county Electric Power should solve that issue in the next few months, they are hooking everyone up in my area late summer. I can't wait.

Cox firestick in Tupelo sells firesticks with lots of free programming which is supposed to be legit. They cost more but I think the extra programming is worth it. They also have monthly fee programming that is really inexpensive as well but it requires at least 25MBS download speeds to make work because everything is in HD. I don't have those speeds ever. Netflix & You Tube TV will run on as little as 3MBS download speeds and I use those.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I was losing signal more than 3x/day forever and was blaming MaxxSuck service in Starkville. Hell they even said it was them, they ran a new line from the pole to my router through the attic and it was still happening. My internet would go off every morning at 6:32 a.m., every day, and they couldn't explain it. I bought a new whole house mesh router system for $135 on Amazon to hopefully help get a stronger but still terribly intermittent signal to the far ends of the house. I've had the new mesh for about 3-4 months now and don't think its lost signal since so evidently my 6 year old router was the problem all along some how. FYI, it was a TP-Link Deco S4 router system.

missouridawg

Oct 6, 2009
I was losing signal more than 3x/day forever and was blaming MaxxSuck service in Starkville. Hell they even said it was them, they ran a new line from the pole to my router through the attic and it was still happening. My internet would go off every morning at 6:32 a.m., every day, and they couldn't explain it. I bought a new whole house mesh router system for $135 on Amazon to hopefully help get a stronger but still terribly intermittent signal to the far ends of the house. I've had the new mesh for about 3-4 months now and don't think its lost signal since so evidently my 6 year old router was the problem all along some how. FYI, it was a TP-Link Deco S4 router system.

Got the email today that says YouTubeTV is getting pulled from Roku.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login