OT: Cut the cord today.

NOATLDAWG

Dec 29, 2020
While I get your sentiment... I am in sales and I get REALLY tired of AT&T and their forcing me to haggle over it. I would rather deal with someone who just says 'no, we don't have a deal, it is $100' than someone who says 'well, if you ***** long and hard enough, you can get $50 off every month... but if you forget, your bill will suddenly go up!!'. Life is too damn short to have to spend an hour+ on the phone with AT&T more than once per year

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Got the email today that says YouTubeTV is getting pulled from Roku.
Mine said since I was a current YouTube subscriber that it would stay but if I deleted it and tried to download it again it would be gone.

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
I have Roku on both our tvs. We use Pluto TV, Roku Channel, PBS, Crackle, and Amazon Prime (currently watching Bosch). Disconnected Netflix because they like little girls twerking.

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
I'd love to cut the cord, but I live in the middle of nowhere and have to rely on satellite internet, and I don't think it would sustain a streaming service. Maybe I'm wrong though.

I have two places in the midde of nowhere.

My lake house, I use a omni directional antenna to get internet service from cell towers for about $35 a month 25GB a month to get 5-6 mbs. At my main house I use cell tower internet provider to get 200 GB a month and it averages about 15 mbs download for $100. I have been thinking about getting a Wi-Boost system to see what that will do about improving my service at the lake. You can make cell service internet work but it's a pain to keep going. That wi-boost system is about $500-600.

I have a buddy that uses the Wi-Boost at an off the grid cabin on an island out from Tunica in Mississippi. The cabin is in Arkansas but he can drive to it in the late summer when the river is down, he has to boat over right now. Odd how that works, the river has changed course but the state line is still where it was.

Ghostman

Apr 12, 2021
It's the idiotic MLB blackout rules. For some reason, they identify three "home markets" in the Memphis area, and it's the three you mention. So, if you are streaming on an app in Memphis, those are blacked out, because if you have local programming on xfinity or dish, you get those games as part of your local sports package.

If you're a fan of a different MLB team than those three, and you watch their games on Extra Innings or MLB TV, they get blacked out if they play one of the three local teams, forcing you to watch the local broadcast.

I understand blackout rules in the 1980s. But they're stupid today with all the options out there for streaming and viewing games. They need to come up with a better plan.

And as far as Memphis "home teams".....I get St. Louis. It's right up the river and their AAA team is here. I get Atlanta. It's six hours down the road. But Cincinnati? That doesn't make any damn sense.

I wonder how different blackouts are in the NE part of the US. For example, if you lived in Williamsport, PA, you would be surrounded by the Yanks, Mets, Phils, Orioles, Nationals, Pirates, and Indians.

dickiedawg

Feb 22, 2008
I just switched to AT&T TV so I can watch the Braves. Had been a happy Hulu Live customer for a long time.
I don't know if it is enough to justify the additional cost, but the interface on ATT TV is very nice compared to Hulu. Feels very much like a traditional satellite interface. I feel like my picture quality is better, too, but that could be my imagination.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
What he said. The only advantage I can see from cord cutting is you can change providers so easily. And I just got a TV for our patio with roku already on it - using the xfinity stream app and it's like having a cable without having it. The only "issue" is you can't easily go to a channel by typing in the number.

It's just what you want to spend money on. I can do a streaming service for cheaper, but it's not as good as cable or satellite. I'm pretty indifferent between the two but as you said, there is the advantage of being less committed to streaming services. I think I'm going to start keeping sling during football season and otherwise just roll with Prime, Netflix, and Disney+. I would drop prime video if it weren't included with my prime membership. I like watching basketball and baseball but for whatever reason, almost never do it at the house, so I can do without live sports in those seasons.

GhostOfJackie

Apr 20, 2009
Directv was going up on bill over $40 to over $200. Of, course they said you are a twenty year customer we can cut you a deal. Nope turn it off!

What is best streaming service. YouTubeTV I remember had good reviews in previous threads.

Thanks in advance or 17 you in advance. I’m both passive and aggressive.

My only question is... what took you so long?

Why anybody with decent internet would continue to waste money on cable/DirectTV is beyond me. There are so many streaming choices that will save you $50-100 every month compared to Comcast (or some other service that robs you).

Captain Ron

Aug 22, 2012
I cut the cord prolly 6 years ago. Started with Sling and ended up with YTTV. Just paused my account with YTTV. If they don’t come to an agreement, I will lose some things in the library, but I am not a fan off Google anyway, so it won’t be hard to move providers for me. I’ll just add it to the list of other corporations that I avoid for various reasons.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
It’s only a matter of time before streaming prices will increase to damn near what cable/satellite is. Just give it a few more years.

patdog

May 28, 2007
They're not all that far behind now. Every time I try to price out what it would cost to stream everything I want to watch, and then compare the total cost and factor in the loss of convenience and functionality, I just wind up staying with my overpriced Comcast/xFinity plan.

J-Dawg

Mar 4, 2009
The Roku YoutubeTV fight is funny to me. Am I going to completely change my TV subscription my preferences, my recordings or go buy a $20 Firestick. Hell, my Roku loses signal 3 times more than any other device in the house.

Just got a Roku last week for the first time to replace an old, malfunctioning FireStick.

Roku>>>>>>Fire Stick in my opinion.

Oct 17, 2007
It is a slightly higher price point, but I use AT&T TV which I believe was affiliated with DirectTV. It is $90 for the highest package which includes all Grizz games, HBO, and Showtime or Cinemax (can't remember which one). I liked the other streaming services, but for what you get, AT&T TV has been great for Grizz season and catching anything MSU related.

was21

May 29, 2007
I think Walmart sells the Roku and Best Buy sells Firestick, but maybe not

was21

May 29, 2007
That's right. They eventually stick it to you regardless. I don't know if it's worth the headache of switching from one to the other in the long run. I've had Directv for about 16 years and just dropped the sports package and it still cost me $131 with the standard option and internet. I don't know if that's a good price or not. Doesn't bother me right now without sports package but it will in the fall.

Last edited:

dawgman42

Jul 24, 2007
Those of you complaining about Roku dropping YTTV, just add another device. The best one out now as far as I'm concerned is the Chromecast with Google TV. It's fast and integrates YTTV into its main menu, plus it does a decent job of aggregating all thr streaming content in suggestions for you. It had a bit of a shaky start, but Google has really closed the gap on it the last few months. I have a Firestick, Roku, and smart "whatever " device on all of my TVs, but the Chromecast with Google TV gets 90% of the action these days.

And this is the Google device with the remote and interface, not the older one you could only use your phone to control.

The Fatboy

Oct 18, 2005
I have youtube tv and really use it more than I expected.

We also have Netflix, Disney+, Amazon Prime, HBO Max and share a Hulu account with someone else.

We get most use out of YTTV right now. Netflix has been lacking new stuff lately.

DawgInThe256

Feb 18, 2011
YTTV sent me a free Chromecast a few months back, haven't opened it

It's my backup plan if the Roku deal falls apart

GTAdawg

Sep 11, 2010
YouTubeTV is the only way to go. Also, if you already have the YouTubeTV app downloaded on your Roku TV or device you’re good. They are banning new
downloads of the app until negotiations are settled.

Roku has had several spats in the last year with other media, so this isn’t a surprise. I can’t imagine Roku will get their way on this deal. Alphabet doesn’t need Roku.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login