OT: Disney related

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Chapek out Iger back in. Shareholders tired of losing money. Pretty big deal. Chapek was not liked by many Disney fans. He was pretty tone deaf too from what I read and saw.

Reactions: XXXlargedawg

DogStuckAtUM

Aug 5, 2021
I’m (unfortunately?) one of those Disney diehards. Chapek was 17ing awful, and I’m pumped Iger is back. I can’t wait to see all the behind the scenes stuff over the next few days.

Reactions: AngeloKnows

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I’m (unfortunately?) one of those Disney diehards. Chapek was 17ing awful, and I’m pumped Iger is back. I can’t wait to see all the behind the scenes stuff over the next few days.
Will Iger take a break on the grooming activities? I was under the impression he was onboard with them. Would be nice to know that you could watch a Disney show or movie aimed At preteens and not have to worry about them sexualizing it.

Captain Ron

Aug 22, 2012
Just shows you have to be careful getting involved in culture war. Not that it is responsible for all of the decline, but since March 29 of last year the sock is down 35% which is about 93 billion bucks.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Will Iger take a break on the grooming activities? I was under the impression he was onboard with them. Would be nice to know that you could watch a Disney show or movie aimed At preteens and not have to worry about them sexualizing it.
Disney found out the hard way that if you swing the pendulum too far one way to pander to one demographic you might end up getting smashed by alienating another.

I know Disney is a pretty massive conglomerate of parks, movies, and media but has anyone priced a DisneyWorld trip lately? Yikes.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Disney found out the hard way that if you swing the pendulum too far one way to pander to one demographic you might end up getting smashed by alienating another.

I know Disney is a pretty massive conglomerate of parks, movies, and media but has anyone priced a DisneyWorld trip lately? Yikes.
We went this year. It was really busy and very expensive. The app was a pain in the ***. Felt like we were constantly having to be on the app for stuff rather than just enjoying the day.

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
From what I’ve been told, the parks are always crowded. Guess it’s not too expensive.
The numbers are down somewhat, but their profits are up. Disney has all but said they are going to increase their prices until the profits start to fall. It helps them to do so. Easy to run a park with less visitors. As someone who takes his family every year however, it is getting out of hand.

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
We went this year. It was really busy and very expensive. The app was a pain in the ***. Felt like we were constantly having to be on the app for stuff rather than just enjoying the day.
This has been a major complaint. The ability to pay to jump to the front of the line has come under fire too. In the past disney created this illusion that you weren’t spending money while you were there through magic bands and such. It really was amazing considering you basically needed to sell a kidney to go. Now the amount of money you are spending is rubbed in your face the entire time

Reactions: TrueMaroonGrind

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
Lucifer,

you want to go over / under on this thread before it goes off the rails and is locked? We were close last time.

Reactions: BigDawg0074

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Did Disney once with kids. Been too Universal every other year for the past 12 years.

Clay Lyle

Sep 30, 2022
I canceled my Disney+ Hulu ESPN+ bundle when that Disney exec publicly vowed to put LGBTQ+ characters in every show/movie. I used to see every Marvel movie in theaters on opening weekend and go to WDW every other year. Not paying for that indoctrination. LGBTQ+ is a religion now and they are using their platforms to witness to children. Maybe bringing in the old CEO can change that, but they won’t get my money anytime soon.

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
I am well aware that the majority of people on this board hate Disney because of one thing. I’m not going to argue it. But Disney is not pure evil.

I have a severely disabled daughter. For 95% of her life, things are not fair and hard. For one week of her life a year she is a princess. The cast members at Disney bend over backwards to make her feel special. She spends the rest of the year asking to go back. I have so many stories of kindness she has been shown.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
They do very well at that. Worker shortages killed them this year, I noticed several staff were not up to the same level as usual. We had several rude cast members the last time we went. However, sometimes I don't blame them. Several of the visitors were extremely rude and entitled too

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I am well aware that the majority of people on this board hate Disney because of one thing. I’m not going to argue it. But Disney is not pure evil.

I have a severely disabled daughter. For 95% of her life, things are not fair and hard. For one week of her life a year she is a princess. The cast members at Disney bend over backwards to make her feel special. She spends the rest of the year asking to go back. I have so many stories of kindness she has been shown.
Disney bends over backwards for their patrons and it’s part of the reason we like going there. Whether it’s making someone’s trip special like your daughter or just random acts of kindness or recognition to just regular patrons it’s so neat to see.
We went to the Christmas party at Magic Kingdom several years ago with my daughters when they were 5 and they wanted to ride It’s a Small World. They had their Christmas Mickey ears on and one of my daughters bent over to look in the water and her ears fell off and she was so sad and crying because she loved her ears. The ride operator saw what happened and told the manager and when we got off the ride he’s waiting with a voucher to go buy more ears. It made her night. It’s little things like that.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
What the hell are “grooming activities”?

Disney’s stock is down for the same reason it exploded in 2020 - the streaming bubble popped.
Do you have young kids and do you watch any new Disney-related content (the kids stuff, not ESPN)?

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
A year or so ago I was on Disney+ and went to watch an old Disney show that was on the old Wonderful World of Disney. It was called Disneyland Around the seasons. Part of it was about the opening of It's a Small World. That insideous ride with a message about the world coming together.

IMG_20221121_080938.jpg

Here is the warning that pops up before it come on. There is no negative depictions or mistreatment on It's a Small World ride.

IMG_20221121_080946.jpg

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
A year or so ago I was on Disney+ and went to watch an old Disney show that was on the old Wonderful World of Disney. It was called Disneyland Around the seasons. Part of it was about the opening of It's a Small World. That insideous ride with a message about the world coming together.

View attachment 265269

Here is the warning that pops up before it come on. There is no negative depictions or mistreatment on It's a Small World ride.

View attachment 265267
They got “Song of the South” on there?

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
For those of us who go to the parks regularly I can assure you the mistakes made go much deeper than a possible political stance.
My family frequented the parks regularly up until last Christmas. We went every year for the holidays and about every other spring. I'm aware of the challenges. But they didn't start truly bleeding money until they picked a fight with the governor or Florida over misrepresentation of a sane law and started injecting obvious culture virtue into their shows. It's why most of their new programming has tanked. It's why their attendance is down. It's why their stock price is in the toilet. Direct causation, not correlation.

They broke the Michael Jordan Rule of Marketing: "Republicans by sneakers, too."

XBLDawg

Mar 20, 2014

Last time I went, about a decade ago, you could take a family of 4 and stay in the value resorts for around 2k. Driving of course. Im sure its triple that now.

Sure there are a couple of things I wouldn't mind seeing that have been added. But for 6 grand I could go to the Carribean or Europe. No thanks, Disney.

Reactions: BigDawg0074

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
They do very well at that. Worker shortages killed them this year, I noticed several staff were not up to the same level as usual. We had several rude cast members the last time we went. However, sometimes I don't blame them. Several of the visitors were extremely rude and entitled too
Have been a few times and I have seen plenty of visitors that needed an *** kicking but never seen a staff person be anything but pleasant. Really is amazing the level of customer service they are able to maintain in the parks. Or at least were able to maintain. Haven't been since pandemic but can imagine that has hurt their customer service like anybody else.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

I'm not sure evil is the word but whatever you want to call it is I think mostly confined to the executive level. The parks in particular I think attract people that love the Disney bubble and love being a part of people experiencing it and so they go above and beyond to maintain that bubble.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
This has been a major complaint. The ability to pay to jump to the front of the line has come under fire too. In the past disney created this illusion that you weren’t spending money while you were there through magic bands and such. It really was amazing considering you basically needed to sell a kidney to go. Now the amount of money you are spending is rubbed in your face the entire time
Haven't been, but I really hate the idea of the pay to skip the line system. You've got people maxing out credit cards because they want their kids to experience disney, and then they get in and have to watch their kids be second class citizens. Really makes me sad for those parents.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
Last time I went, about a decade ago, you could take a family of 4 and stay in the value resorts for around 2k. Driving of course. Im sure its triple that now.

Sure there are a couple of things I wouldn't mind seeing that have been added. But for 6 grand I could go to the Carribean or Europe. No thanks, Disney.
I have 6 in my family. Thankfully we have an RV so we can stay on the campgrounds. Without it our tab would easily push 10k for one week. It’s ridiculous.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
It may not be responsible for all of it, but it's damn sure responsible for a lion's share of it.
I wish this were true, but I think the majority of it is just people recognizing that their streaming revenue is never going to make up for the blockbuster movie model..

I know people that have cancelled cruises and disney trips and Disney+ just because they're exhausted by the insistence on sexualizing children's material, but I'm sure those parks and cruise ships were still full and I don't know anybody that has stopped watching and/or supporting ESPN or the SEC Network.

They've hurt themselves some, but I think the executives making those decisions would gladly take the hit from that (since it's almost entirely other people's money).

kired

Aug 22, 2008
I saw a guy snort cocaine off a hookers chest in robocop in the theaters when I was 10 and I turned out okay. Ahhh, the 80’s, when parental responsibility wasn’t a thing.
I'll watch a show from my childhood with my kids and I'm thinking - holy ****, can't believe my parents let me watch this stuff when I was 10. Maybe we just overlooked a lot of what was in those movies because we were too young to realize what it meant.

Brew_Dawg

Jun 29, 2018
I'm trying to hold off my 5 month old from Disney content for as long as possible. He is much more interested in watching live concerts, which I'm thankful for.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
I do think collapsing of streaming markets is contributing (Netflix is taking a hit too), and I'm not trying to make this political. It's not about wanting Disney to pursue a particular political or religious identity...it's about not obviously pandering to one at the expense of others.

If you look at Disney's stock price, the free fall tracks chronologically with the political battles they got involved with last year. They've been tracking downward since spring of 21 and started plummeting in Nov of 21.

The parks are still full and they're going to be full. We kept going for family outings until last christmas, and plan on going during spring break in 23. But they've lost billions and billions. Their stock price is down almost 40%.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
I have 6 in my family. Thankfully we have an RV so we can stay on the campgrounds. Without it our tab would easily push 10k for one week. It’s ridiculous.
We spent over $10k on our trip in 2021 (flew direct out of Nashville). We were there for 7 nights.

Did similar trips in 2015 and 2018 for about $6-7k. I track every dollar we spend on vacations - it was over a 60% increase from the previous trips for basically the same thing. One of my kids was 11 this last time... so technically he was an adult. There's nothing worse than paying $30+ on a breakfast buffet for him to eat a piece of bacon and half a waffle. But that was really the only difference

Going to Disneyland in 2023. After that, I think my family will be done with the big Disney trips.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19
Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login