OT: Disney related

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Will Iger take a break on the grooming activities? I was under the impression he was onboard with them. Would be nice to know that you could watch a Disney show or movie aimed At preteens and not have to worry about them sexualizing it.
Do you have young kids and do you watch any new Disney-related content (the kids stuff, not ESPN)?
yeah don't know about that. Disney just needs to stay out of politics and stay out of pushing the sexuality discussion in children's content. Disney stuff has not been as family friendly in their content lately.
I know people that have cancelled cruises and disney trips and Disney+ just because they're exhausted by the insistence on sexualizing children's material, but I'm sure those parks and cruise ships were still full and I don't know anybody that has stopped watching and/or supporting ESPN or the SEC Network.

Can you guys give me examples of all this grooming and sexualization?
My girls are in 6th and 10th grades and I cant remember a Disney movie or show in the last last few years that I felt was grooming them. They watch all the Marvel movies and Disney+ shows- I think I have watched them all too. And they have watched all the Pixar movies over the last few years too, and I think Ive seen those as well.

Free Guy? Encanto? Multiverse of Madness? Jungle Cruise? Luca? Soul? Turning Red? Raya? Captain Marvel? Toy Story 4?
There are probably a few dozen movies and shows in the last few years so the above is not at all complete, but I really just cant think of anything where I think Disney is grooming my kids. And how would a global entity actually groom a kid?...grooming, from what I have learned in multiple trainings, is when an individual befriends a child with the intent of sexual abuse. Is Disney doing that?...have I mislearned what 'grooming' is?

What shows and movies include all this sexualization of children? Maybe my kids just havent watched all these dangerous and perverted shows.
This sudden issue is doubly confusing to me because Disney as a channel has always had a bit of sexualization of teens- its been that way for 30 years and is clearly to create interest from an audience and push sales. Sex sells, even if its teens. Heck, especially if its teens. A huge % of this board grew up with Britney, Christina, and everyone trying to be like them. That its been this way for 30 years doesnt excuse it existing now, but it does help ask the question- why is this suddenly an issue and what is now different for those who are complaining?

I, and I think many others here, would genuinely like to know what shows and movies are so dangerous that viewers are being groomed to feel its OK to be sexualized and victimized.
Perhaps this is an issue for 2-6 year olds or something like that which is why I dont see it?

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I'm trying to hold off my 5 month old from Disney content for as long as possible. He is much more interested in watching live concerts, which I'm thankful for.
Soon you'll start complaining about Ticketmaster & Live Nation...

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
I do think collapsing of streaming markets is contributing (Netflix is taking a hit too), and I'm not trying to make this political. It's not about wanting Disney to pursue a particular political or religious identity...it's about not obviously pandering to one at the expense of others.

If you look at Disney's stock price, the free fall tracks chronologically with the political battles they got involved with last year. They've been tracking downward since spring of 21 and started plummeting in Nov of 21.

The parks are still full and they're going to be full. We kept going for family outings until last christmas, and plan on going during spring break in 23. But they've lost billions and billions. Their stock price is down almost 40%.
I imagine their cruises took a hit as well.

UpTheMiddlex3Punt

May 28, 2007
This has been a major complaint. The ability to pay to jump to the front of the line has come under fire too. In the past disney created this illusion that you weren’t spending money while you were there through magic bands and such. It really was amazing considering you basically needed to sell a kidney to go. Now the amount of money you are spending is rubbed in your face the entire time
One of the best things Disney did was make it easy for you to forget that you've already shelled out a crap-ton of money for your trip with stuff like the dining plan and you still get to enjoy the parks. Sure souvenirs and stuff cost more money, but your park experience wouldn't require you to shell out any more money. The Genie+ and Lightning Lanes changed that, making a trip more stressful by requiring you to know exactly how much more money you're going to spend just to get on a ride your kid absolutely has to ride otherwise the trip will be a total bust.

The FastPass+ system was wonderful and once you figured it out the parks were awesome. I think it helped de-stress trip planning since you had a little bit of insight into how your day would go weeks or months ahead of time. If Iger brings that back he will make the Disney fanatics happy. If they really want more money, they can offer the little-known club level benefit they used to have where people staying at club level in resorts could purchase additional FP+ reservations to anyone willing to purchase it. At least that is one of those things you purchase well ahead of time, so you don't stress over spending even more money once you're there.

TrueMaroonGrind

Jan 6, 2017
We went before the Genie changes around 2016 l, then in 2021 after Genie and Lightening Lanes. The feel is 1000% different. You do feel like they are nickel and diming you the whole time. I never wanted to go again, but my oldest hasn’t stopped talking about going back, so we are next year. The cost will have doubled since our 2016 trip. We are staying off campus since the on campus perks have disappeared.

The biggest issue with me is that you feel ripped off having to pay $100-200 to just ride the rides every day, especially in Hollywood studios and Magic Kingdom. Plus pay for parking every day you stay on site?!?!

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
We went before the Genie changes around 2016 l, then in 2021 after Genie and Lightening Lanes. The feel is 1000% different. You do feel like they are nickel and diming you the whole time. I never wanted to go again, but my oldest hasn’t stopped talking about going back, so we are next year. The cost will have doubled since our 2016 trip. We are staying off campus since the on campus perks have disappeared.

The biggest issue with me is that you feel ripped off having to pay $100-200 to just ride the rides every day, especially in Hollywood studios and Magic Kingdom. Plus pay for parking every day you stay on site?!?!
Learn how to fake a cognitive disability and you can get a DAS pass.

UpTheMiddlex3Punt

May 28, 2007
My girls are in 6th and 10th grades and I cant remember a Disney movie or show in the last last few years that I felt was grooming them. They watch all the Marvel movies and Disney+ shows- I think I have watched them all too. And they have watched all the Pixar movies over the last few years too, and I think Ive seen those as well.

Free Guy? Encanto? Multiverse of Madness? Jungle Cruise? Luca? Soul? Turning Red? Raya? Captain Marvel? Toy Story 4?
There are probably a few dozen movies and shows in the last few years so the above is not at all complete, but I really just cant think of anything where I think Disney is grooming my kids. And how would a global entity actually groom a kid?...grooming, from what I have learned in multiple trainings, is when an individual befriends a child with the intent of sexual abuse. Is Disney doing that?...have I mislearned what 'grooming' is?

What shows and movies include all this sexualization of children? Maybe my kids just havent watched all these dangerous and perverted shows.
This sudden issue is doubly confusing to me because Disney as a channel has always had a bit of sexualization of teens- its been that way for 30 years and is clearly to create interest from an audience and push sales. Sex sells, even if its teens. Heck, especially if its teens. A huge % of this board grew up with Britney, Christina, and everyone trying to be like them. That its been this way for 30 years doesnt excuse it existing now, but it does help ask the question- why is this suddenly an issue and what is now different for those who are complaining?

I, and I think many others here, would genuinely like to know what shows and movies are so dangerous that viewers are being groomed to feel its OK to be sexualized and victimized.
Perhaps this is an issue for 2-6 year olds or something like that which is why I dont see it?
I think people complain about LGBT scenes getting added to movies, but I think characterization of most of the scenes are overblown, like the "lesbian kiss" in Rise of Skywalker looked more like a mother kissing her daughter after getting back from a dangerous mission. There was more blowback over Lightyear (which I haven't seen), but the more valid complaints about that movie are that it's a crappy retcon: there's no way that this was the movie that was super exciting to an 8 year old boy in 1995.

If anything, Disney does a lot to resist adding more LGBT stuff to their movies. They rightly resisted the whole "give Elsa a girlfriend" campaign (but notice she didn't get a boyfriend either, which would have been equally out of place in that story).

As for other woke stuff, them re-theming Splash Mountain has little to do with getting rid of racism. The ride already depicts none of the Uncle Remus scenes that are considered offensive and the tales themselves are far closer to actual African-American folklore than Princess and the Frog. They're re-theming it because of one bad thing Iger has done, which is getting rid of anything in the parks that cannot be cross-merchandised (go read what he said about the masterpiece "Expedition Everest"). Everything in the park has to have a link to some other media such as a movie, TV-show, or video game - preferably all three. Splash Mountain in its current incarnation does not meet that, so it has to go. We'll probably see a re-theming of Big Thunder Mountain Railroad to "Woody's Roundup" or some other crap within a decade.

UpTheMiddlex3Punt

May 28, 2007
Learn how to fake a cognitive disability and you can get a DAS pass.
DAS pass isn't nearly as good as it used to be. It works basically like the old print-out FastPass. No more bringing grandma in a wheelchair to get to the front of the lines.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I do think collapsing of streaming markets is contributing (Netflix is taking a hit too), and I'm not trying to make this political. It's not about wanting Disney to pursue a particular political or religious identity...it's about not obviously pandering to one at the expense of others.

If you look at Disney's stock price, the free fall tracks chronologically with the political battles they got involved with last year. They've been tracking downward since spring of 21 and started plummeting in Nov of 21.

The parks are still full and they're going to be full. We kept going for family outings until last christmas, and plan on going during spring break in 23. But they've lost billions and billions. Their stock price is down almost 40%.
It has virtually nothing to do with it. DIS stock price peaked in March of 2021. If we consider Six Flags to be its top rival in the parks. Universal (Comcast owned) to be a top competitor in movies and some parks, and consider Netflix to be its top stream rival... Well they have all eaten ****. Since the March 2021 high of Disney. Comcast is down 42%. Disney is down 48%. Netflix is down 56%. Six Flags is down 61%. The entire space was overvalued and is getting hammered.

Screen Shot 2022-11-21 at 9.19.35 AM.png

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
Disney found out the hard way that if you swing the pendulum too far one way to pander to one demographic you might end up getting smashed by alienating another.

I know Disney is a pretty massive conglomerate of parks, movies, and media but has anyone priced a DisneyWorld trip lately? Yikes.
Used to be, if you spent $10 K on a trip, you'd have stayed at grand Floridian or contemporary. And splurged on just about everything. Now $10 K is a budget trip there. Crazy fees added on and massive price increases. Have to pay for nightly parking now when you stay at one of their overpriced resort hotels.

QuadrupleOption

Aug 21, 2012
I'm not sure stock price at the moment is a good indicator of anything, and I say this as someone who's tired of every new show or movie pandering to a certain demographic come Hell or high water.

We ARE in a recession, after all, and claiming that Disney's stock plummet is due to wokeness is the same as people claiming that Elon Musk sucks as a CEO because Tesla stock is down. Most stocks are getting slaughtered right now so I don't think anything can be drawn from that.

Now, putting Disney in the crosshairs of a state government over stupid political ploys? Yeah, that might get your *** fired.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I think people complain about LGBT scenes getting added to movies, but I think characterization of most of the scenes are overblown, like the "lesbian kiss" in Rise of Skywalker looked more like a mother kissing her daughter after getting back from a dangerous mission. There was more blowback over Lightyear (which I haven't seen), but the more valid complaints about that movie are that it's a crappy retcon: there's no way that this was the movie that was super exciting to an 8 year old boy in 1995.

If anything, Disney does a lot to resist adding more LGBT stuff to their movies. They rightly resisted the whole "give Elsa a girlfriend" campaign (but notice she didn't get a boyfriend either, which would have been equally out of place in that story).

As for other woke stuff, them re-theming Splash Mountain has little to do with getting rid of racism. The ride already depicts none of the Uncle Remus scenes that are considered offensive and the tales themselves are far closer to actual African-American folklore than Princess and the Frog. They're re-theming it because of one bad thing Iger has done, which is getting rid of anything in the parks that cannot be cross-merchandised (go read what he said about the masterpiece "Expedition Everest"). Everything in the park has to have a link to some other media such as a movie, TV-show, or video game - preferably all three. Splash Mountain in its current incarnation does not meet that, so it has to go. We'll probably see a re-theming of Big Thunder Mountain Railroad to "Woody's Roundup" or some other crap within a decade.
I appreciate the response. This thread has been interesting- I just dont see what multiple posters see and its a bit frustrating since they are saying Disney is grooming kids...well I dont want my kids to be groomed so what the 17 am I missing?

If a same gender kiss is inappropriate, then this just gets tossed in the overflowing bucket of some being far too sensitive.

I didnt realize Splash Mountain is changing to a Tiana ride, thanks for the info. Some reactions... 1- OK then. I really dont have strong feelings about this. 2- that isnt grooming or sexual so at least nobody can complain about it from a grooming outrage perspective. 3- My youngest is named for 2 characters in that movie(sad, but true) so if we ever won the lottery and could afford to blow it all on a trip to Disney, she would get a mild kick out of the ride.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Who can afford to go to concerts these days? All free on YouTube.
I just saw the best concert I've been to in Jackson this year this past weekend.

Ticket cost was less than $20.

Joshua Ray Walker for the win.

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020

My 6 year old and 10 year old girls are beyond excited that it’s changing to Princess and the frog. Considering it is a park made for children i would say the move makes sense. The Winnie the Pooh ride was once Mr. Toad’s Wild ride. Mickey and Minnie’s runaway railroad was once the great movie ride. There was a 20,000 leagues under the sea ride once a upon the time. Things change. You know you are getting old when it pisses you off. I was irrationally angry about the great movie ride. I now eat crow with my family because the runaway railroad ride is awesome.

Brew_Dawg

Jun 29, 2018
I just saw the best concert I've been to in Jackson this year this past weekend.

Ticket cost was less than $20.

Joshua Ray Walker for the win.

Definitely jealous. Haven't had the opportunity to look up here in Nashville for concerts like that since the offspring was born.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008

Pricing and costs are the issue. They lost a boatload of money in their fourth quarter but added subscribers.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
I appreciate the response. This thread has been interesting- I just dont see what multiple posters see and its a bit frustrating since they are saying Disney is grooming kids...well I dont want my kids to be groomed so what the 17 am I missing?

If a same gender kiss is inappropriate, then this just gets tossed in the overflowing bucket of some being far too sensitive.

I didnt realize Splash Mountain is changing to a Tiana ride, thanks for the info. Some reactions... 1- OK then. I really dont have strong feelings about this. 2- that isnt grooming or sexual so at least nobody can complain about it from a grooming outrage perspective. 3- My youngest is named for 2 characters in that movie(sad, but true) so if we ever won the lottery and could afford to blow it all on a trip to Disney, she would get a mild kick out of the ride.
Culture wars and bickering. Anyone sensitive enough to be truly offended by what Disney does (and has been doing for decades) has turned their TVs off long ago. The rest are just bored and just like complaining about inconsequential entertainment that a simple parenting decision can address if it's really a problem for them.

Reactions: mstateglfr

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Definitely jealous. Haven't had the opportunity to look up here in Nashville for concerts like that since the offspring was born.
Ah... Nashville. The two best shows I've seen this year were in Nashville.

They have to be worth it though for me to deal with sky high hotel rooms.

I briefly thought about getting a good seat at the Ryman for Nickel Creek's third show but had to think if it was worth a $200+ room downtown-- and I couldn't help but say no.

Jul 5, 2020
Will Iger take a break on the grooming activities? I was under the impression he was onboard with them. Would be nice to know that you could watch a Disney show or movie aimed At preteens and not have to worry about them sexualizing it.
I think the stock price performance was much more a result of the post-COVID collapse combined with Disney's insistence on including a few hundred million "subscribers" in India who were paying pennies for a cricket package. This was exposed and it revealed how poorly their streaming platform was doing relative to some others. That's the whole reason. The politics hasn't made an appreciable impact.

Reactions: PooPopsBaldHead

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022

Just another Ivermectin-level argument from the peeps who've had their brains rotted by con politics. There's absolutely no substance, facts, or reasoning to their hate of Disney, but believing it is now required. Ivermectin.

Reactions: mstateglfr

dawgman42

Jul 24, 2007
One of the best things Disney did was make it easy for you to forget that you've already shelled out a crap-ton of money for your trip with stuff like the dining plan and you still get to enjoy the parks. Sure souvenirs and stuff cost more money, but your park experience wouldn't require you to shell out any more money. The Genie+ and Lightning Lanes changed that, making a trip more stressful by requiring you to know exactly how much more money you're going to spend just to get on a ride your kid absolutely has to ride otherwise the trip will be a total bust.

The FastPass+ system was wonderful and once you figured it out the parks were awesome. I think it helped de-stress trip planning since you had a little bit of insight into how your day would go weeks or months ahead of time. If Iger brings that back he will make the Disney fanatics happy. If they really want more money, they can offer the little-known club level benefit they used to have where people staying at club level in resorts could purchase additional FP+ reservations to anyone willing to purchase it. At least that is one of those things you purchase well ahead of time, so you don't stress over spending even more money once you're there.
^^This in a nutshell. I look back at my family's 2013 trip to Disney World during this week and the one we took in 2021 during Thanksgiving week. 2013 was better in every way, and much less stressful. Disney is just not worth what you pay these days.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
^^This in a nutshell. I look back at my family's 2013 trip to Disney World during this week and the one we took in 2021 during Thanksgiving week. 2013 was better in every way, and much less stressful. Disney is just not worth what you pay these days.
Yeah we aren't going back to the parks unless they make some changes. Planning is too complicated. Too expensive. Don't get to do what you want to do. Why bother if it's going to be a stress to plan and stress to execute?

Now a Disney Cruise? I'm still good with those. Expensive compared to other cruises that are still a lot of fun and offer a mostly comparable experience (like RC), but if your kids are still into meeting characters and are all about that Disney magic and all that, it's a really cool experience.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
I think the stock price performance was much more a result of the post-COVID collapse combined with Disney's insistence on including a few hundred million "subscribers" in India who were paying pennies for a cricket package. This was exposed and it revealed how poorly their streaming platform was doing relative to some others. That's the whole reason. The politics hasn't made an appreciable impact.
Their stock price was up post covid.

Like I said, there are other factors, to be sure. But to say politics hasn't made an impact is to be completely detached from reality. They got into a very public spat with their state's government. The same state government whose leadership was just re-elected in landslide fashion.

This is a very, very toxic climate for any company to take a position in political policy in either direction. Doing so has consequences, in either direction.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
It’s not reading comprehension fail it’s you replying to people like this in every 17ing thread
Not all arguments I disagree with are dumb. Dumb arguments are stil dumb even if their on your "side" of some political argument. You didn't understand the above when you replied.

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
This had actually been a nice back and forth with everyone acting like grown ups. Oh well.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Just shows you have to be careful getting involved in culture war. Not that it is responsible for all of the decline, but since March 29 of last year the sock is down 35% which is about 93 billion bucks.
To be fair, damn near everyone’s stock is down when using that same timeframe.

UpTheMiddlex3Punt

May 28, 2007
My 6 year old and 10 year old girls are beyond excited that it’s changing to Princess and the frog. Considering it is a park made for children i would say the move makes sense. The Winnie the Pooh ride was once Mr. Toad’s Wild ride. Mickey and Minnie’s runaway railroad was once the great movie ride. There was a 20,000 leagues under the sea ride once a upon the time. Things change. You know you are getting old when it pisses you off. I was irrationally angry about the great movie ride. I now eat crow with my family because the runaway railroad ride is awesome.
I had heard that the Great Movie Ride was costing Disney a fortune in licenses since there was a lot of non-Disney stuff in it (mainly MGM stuff from when the park originally opened). I don't fault them for changing rides and updating them, but there's something kinda sad about everything becoming a merchandising tie-in. It also removes some of the stuff that makes the parks a unique experience compared to all the other Disney media. In my opinion, the best rides at Disney World were conceived as original attractions with no movie tie-ins like Haunted Mansion, Jungle Cruise, Soarin', and Expedition Everest (though some of those they've made into movies). Even the dang Maelstrom ride at to Norway pavilion was kinda neat with the Vikings. The Frozen ride there now is basically a retelling of the Frozen movie, which doesn't offer a whole lot of new stuff when your kids watch it every other month. The strategy to make everything more and more integrated is making the park experience less and less unique. I do like a lot of the immersive lands they've created, but they need to get back to making new unique stuff.

The lack of building something unique to the parks is a Bob Iger problem. The last original attraction to open up at a US park was Expedition Everest in 2006 and was mostly built under Eisner's tenure (Iger took over in mid 2005).

Reactions: HailStout

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Yeah we aren't going back to the parks unless they make some changes. Planning is too complicated. Too expensive. Don't get to do what you want to do. Why bother if it's going to be a stress to plan and stress to execute?

Now a Disney Cruise? I'm still good with those. Expensive compared to other cruises that are still a lot of fun and offer a mostly comparable experience (like RC), but if your kids are still into meeting characters and are all about that Disney magic and all that, it's a really cool experience.
I agree about the cruise, it’s almost the opposite of the Park experience. While RC will nickel and dime you for non alcoholic drinks, food choices, and Waterparks on their island. Disney is mostly all inclusive minus the alcohol. The “free” food options are definitely better.

Jul 5, 2020
Their stock price was up post covid.

Like I said, there are other factors, to be sure. But to say politics hasn't made an impact is to be completely detached from reality. They got into a very public spat with their state's government. The same state government whose leadership was just re-elected in landslide fashion.

This is a very, very toxic climate for any company to take a position in political policy in either direction. Doing so has consequences, in either direction.
I said the "post-COVID collapse", by which I meant this year's stock market fall generally. Yes, its price was up, along with the rest of the market, for the 18-24 months beginning during lockdown. Then, when the streaming platform/subscriber issues were discovered, that affected the share price more than other factors. Market analysts generally agree on this point. It just ain't about their political stance. Disney is a global company, and it reacts to global market forces more broadly than US market forces.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007

I had a feeling you would chime in a minute. Let me first say,I don't care about all the representation crap at all. I'm not in that fight anymore. I've had lots of Bi and gay friends and family members all my life, so I'm not gonna get in that 17ng battle. My problem is with the story, but I will go into that the moment.

The problems with Disney are more profound than the stupid alphabet battle. They want to make a live remake of EVERY one of their animated movies, whether they need it or not, just because they think they can make some money off of it. More often than not... It's a piece of crap, and now it seems to divide fans rather than unite them every time they bring another one out for reasons I won't go into to take me off the real reasons why Disney sucks right now.

They also want to take Marvel and completely retool it, no matter what the comics say. And on top of that, they want to blame the fan, whether they taste say something or not about it, just for not coming and watching it because they believe it's their social responsibility to come and support this whether they like it or not. If they do happen to voice a critical opinion, they're immediately jumped on by the creators of this content and then wonder why in the hell nobody will watch it.

For example, She-Hulk should've been the biggest thing Marvel has released since Deadpool. But they gave the show to a group of ladies who had no idea what the hell the character was all about or what her actual story was, so they created something new. Something new is usually good, but this time, they knew they were going make this character act and be like they would piss all the old fans off two years before the show ever aired. So, they made a good old screw you to the fans in the last episode, thinking they would be cute. Stupid. Those old fans you just pissed off make up about 80% to 90% of your viewing audience. I'm not even gonna go into what they did to the character of The Hulk to try to make this new character look good.

If they want to pour their money down the drain continually, I don't care, but to start, I really wish they would stop remaking all of their animated classics and maybe create some new stuff.

Please

Do what you want with Marvel, but if you don't change the way you're making Marvel and Star Wars, you will bury both of those story worlds within five years.

It may sound like I have a chip on my shoulder, but actually, I'm really sad. I remember those times when I sat in a dark theater, and then The Lion King started. The black screen is just quiet, then suddenly, a group of native African voices singing loudly with an animated sunrise slowly lights up the screen, along with the awesome soundtrack music. I can't remember when the movies excited me within the first 10 seconds of the film's beginning like that. Disney used to make magic. I wish they would again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login