OT: DVR Alert: “Matewan” on TCM at 10pm tonight, Sunday.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
An absolute classic about the 1920s coal wars. Features James Earl Jones trying to play an impossible hand. Not to be missed!

Ludd

Oct 12, 2021
An absolute classic about the 1920s coal wars. Features James Earl Jones trying to play an impossible hand. Not to be missed!

I went and checked out the town where the movie was filmed. Cool to see the locations.

Fox Chapel Lion II

Oct 13, 2021
I went and checked out the town where the movie was filmed. Cool to see the locations.
I was working in Southern West Virginia and made a detour specifically to see Matewan. Fascinating little town with some quaint stuff. There is a B&B in town which I intend to stay at some time out of the tourist (power boats and 4x4's) season. You can still see the bullet holes in the brick buildings.

Remember the movie poster? I wanted to duplicate the shot with the building and the train tracks. But everything was backwards! The movie was actually shot on location in Thurmond, WVa rather than in Matewan, but the scenery and atmosphere is identical.

Those were tough times - and tough men - in that era.

step.eng69

Oct 12, 2021

Thanks for the heads up LJ, I'll probably be tuned in for the flick.

Latest posts

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login