OT: Explain please

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Reactions: MSUGUY

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
First, I would love to see Jackson somehow turn things around and be successful. Second, I cannot imagine how this ends up being successful or who would want to live in that location for any money much less $300k. Third, the grammar in this article is pretty suspect for a professional writer. See "sleu" and "grating" for two easy ones...

https://www.wlbt.com/2023/07/19/livingston-road-residential-community-project-what-happened/
Why wouldn't people want to live in that area?**

patdog

May 28, 2007
Sounds like somebody is getting some very large tax credits and/or grant money. This is going to work out about as well as the Convention Center and the Farish Street project.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
All of the utility/location issues aside, this is exactly the type housing we need more of.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
First, I would love to see Jackson somehow turn things around and be successful. Second, I cannot imagine how this ends up being successful or who would want to live in that location for any money much less $300k. Third, the grammar in this article is pretty suspect for a professional writer. See "sleu" and "grating" for two easy ones...

https://www.wlbt.com/2023/07/19/livingston-road-residential-community-project-what-happened/
The writer's a Bammer.

msstatelp1

Aug 21, 2012
That was my question. Is that far enough north that the area isn’t a problem? I wouldn’t think you could cover the cost of new construction in that area.
It's "just across the street from the Jackson Medical Mall" meaning "nope it isn't". It's basically a few miles west of the football stadium

Reactions: paindonthurt

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012

There are so many failed projects in Jxn, you can't count them all. Many projects don't get past the planning phase and some get to within 75% of completion, like Farish Street, and are abandoned.

$300k homes aren't going to sell in that area without some type of special financing or incentives.

Anyone know the status of this project? it was announcement with much fanfare in 2021, but not much since then.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009

Either:

A: someone is a really dumb investor

or

B: some of our tax dollars will go to a really dumb investment

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Sounds like somebody is getting some very large tax credits and/or grant money. This is going to work out about as well as the Convention Center and the Farish Street project.
While in Highschool we use to drive down Farish St messing with the hookers until JPD got on our butts one night. It was fun up to that point.

Faustdog

Jun 4, 2007

Yeah, this one's a head scratcher. There has to be some government money involved. And I love Jackson.

Also have little doubt that the permit holdups are due to the mayor making sure the right people are taken care of.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

patdog

May 28, 2007
While in Highschool we use to drive down Farish St messing with the hookers until JPD got on our butts one night. It was fun up to that point.
Damn. You were lucky that's the worst that happened to you down there.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
What do you mean?
New construction priced $300k or less relatively close to jobs/urban core (where good jobs are often clustered). Obviously to achieve this, you have to make some sacrifices. Square footage, yard size, and using less-pricey finishes/features are the main places you can achieve this. In this case, the developers also rolled the dice on building in an area that's seen as less than desirable for many, hoping to change the fortunes. Every development doesn't work out.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
New construction priced $300k or less relatively close to jobs/urban core (where good jobs are often clustered). Obviously to achieve this, you have to make some sacrifices. Square footage, yard size, and using less-pricey finishes/features are the main places you can achieve this. In this case, the developers also rolled the dice on building in an area that's seen as less than desirable for many, hoping to change the fortunes. Every development doesn't work out.
Gotcha. There aren't many good jobs clustered in Jackson any longer. A few, but fewer every day. Hence, $300k is not "affordable" for many, particularly in this interest climate.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Gotcha. There aren't many good jobs clustered in Jackson any longer. A few, but fewer every day. Hence, $300k is not "affordable" for many, particularly in this interest climate.
Exactly. A development of houses at half that price would be ambitious but might have a decent chance. I can't see many people buying a $300,000 house anywhere near that location though.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
There's still medical, state gov't, and some insurance/banking.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Exactly. A development of houses at half that price would be ambitious but might have a decent chance. I can't see many people buying a $300,000 house anywhere near that location though.
You simply aren't building SF housing for 150 anymore. Those days are gone & not coming back. Which is one reason why MF remains strong - everybody has to live somewhere.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Damn. You were lucky that's the worst that happened to you down there.
Looking back yes. Car full of white teenagers riding that street. Even back then that wasn't the most dangerous street in Jackson.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
the city of Jackson is the epitome of a world class organization, working with a sense of professionalism and urgency

the reason it is so vibrant and growing so well

• Haha
Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
There's still medical, state gov't, and some insurance/banking.
Correct. State government is way behind in salaries, so unless their spouse has a solid occupation, or they happen to be at the top level in state government, they aren't responsibly getting into a $300k home. I'd love to have a capitol city that people want to be in, but I can't honestly see a path to get there. I have friends, who have always been embedded in Jackson, part of the "we're going to stay and make it better" group. Their kids are in the public schools, nearly their entire circle lives in Jackson and they have recently told me that they are actively looking to move either to Madison, or maybe out of state. When those people bail, it is very hard to see who will be left to make it better. They were part of the never leaving crowd.

I'd love to hear from some current Jacksonians on their thoughts.

Reactions: sandwolf.sixpack

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
You simply aren't building SF housing for 150 anymore. Those days are gone & not coming back. Which is one reason why MF remains strong - everybody has to live somewhere.
I assume this is going to be one of the modular/fairly cheaply built neighborhoods that's built for rentals. SFR (single family rental) is all the rage in the industry these days.

I don't think it's such a bad idea, actually. There are a ton of people in West Jackson who would love to live in a decent neighborhood with decent people and have their own yards and space instead of one of the old run down apartment complexes or an older home down Bailey Ave. There's just not been an option for them to this point. This may be an answer. Hope so.

Reactions: dorndawg

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Another issue with living in that area is that you would need a 4WD vehicle to deal with the roads and it would need to get good gas mileage because you'll need to drive to Madison or Rankin county to buy most of your basic needs such as food and clothing . The loss of GOOD
retail outlets (of all kinds) in the city of Jackson has been really bad and affects a lot of people everyday.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I assume this is going to be one of the modular/fairly cheaply built neighborhoods that's built for rentals. SFR (single family rental) is all the rage in the industry these days.

I don't think it's such a bad idea, actually. There are a ton of people in West Jackson who would love to live in a decent neighborhood with decent people and have their own yards and space instead of one of the old run down apartment complexes or an older home down Bailey Ave. There's just not been an option for them to this point. This may be an answer. Hope so.
If they can qualify for a mortgage for a $300,000 house, they've left West Jackson long ago.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Another issue with living in that area is that you would need a 4WD vehicle to deal with the roads and it would need to get good gas mileage because you'll need to drive to Madison or Rankin county to buy most of your basic needs such as food and clothing . The loss of GOOD
retail outlets (of all kinds) in the city of Jackson has been really bad and affects a lot of people everyday.
yes. I legit get anxious if I have to drive in Jackson when it is raining and I can't tell where the water filled potholes are. I cratered one front rim already driving in rain leaving downtown after dark

Villagedawg

Nov 16, 2005
Being a North Mississippian, Jackson is and always has been right on the edge of complete irrelevance for me. Just not a place that really ever comes to mind or makes my radar outside these interesting discussions on here. I understand that as a state, we really need a viable city for state government, and having that would be good for the whole state. I also understand that a lot of people identify with Jackson very personally. I always follow these discussions though I have to go to google maps to figure out where these places are y'all are always talking about. Outside the year my oldest liven in Belhaven for 5th year architecture school, I rarely ever went there. The potholes were insane!

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
yes. I legit get anxious if I have to drive in Jackson when it is raining and I can't tell where the water filled potholes are. I cratered one front rim already driving in rain leaving downtown after dark
Same here, it's a wonder my vehicle has shocks left. If you take Pascagoula out of downtown you almost have to drive on the side of the road to get to 55.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login