OT: Explain please

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
No its not.

You can absolutely build 200 hourse for $135 a square foot or even less and make money selling them.

Well if you truly believe that, and you are somehow correct and have a way to do it, then whatever line of work you are in is the wrong one. You literally would have the ability to monopolize the entire new construction housing market, and solve a problem that is plaguing the entire nation right now with sky high home prices for first time buyers.

All you gotta do is start a company (or just work as a consultant for an existing one), and teach whoever how to build those $135/sf new houses, and sell them. Then, count your millions. Don’t let naysayers like me stand in your way….

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Well if you truly believe that, and you are somehow correct and have a way to do it, then whatever line of work you are in is the wrong one. You literally would have the ability to monopolize the entire new construction housing market, and solve a problem that is plaguing the entire nation right now with sky high home prices for first time buyers.

All you gotta do is start a company (or just work as a consultant for an existing one), and teach whoever how to build those $135/sf new houses, and sell them. Then, count your millions. Don’t let naysayers like me stand in your way….
I dont have the money to buy that land in Jackson, but don’t worry. I’m working on a much smaller project.

They can’t do $135/sqft bc they don’t have to. And bc they know dumb @$$ consumers will pay.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I dont have the money to buy that land in Jackson, but don’t worry. I’m working on a much smaller project.

They can’t do $135/sqft bc they don’t have to. And bc they know dumb @$$ consumers will pay.
Which IRC version do you plan to follow? Are you going to have your foundation designed by a PE and the soil tested by a geotechnical engineer? If you're building cheap per SF, you need to go 2 stories to spread the foundation costs onto more square footage.... Have you accounted for wind loads in tornado country? Hurricane ties and shear walls? What sheathing are you going to use, something like T-Ply or a more structural product like OSB with housewrap or Zip? Who's engineering your floor system for the second floor? Are you required to meet ACH 50 or is it going to be a little leaky? What kind of insulation and what value?

Those are the tiniest amount of questions you face when building most places in the US. And they all have expensive answers. If you want to build a barndo in rural jurisdictions or a very low quality home with low grade materials and cheap finishes in places that will allow it, you can probably hit $135/SF. But at that point, it's much less expensive to just go see the man at Clayton or wait for our next World Series run to see if you can pick up a double wide out of hock.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login