OT: Favorite 4th of July movies

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
4th of July always seems a day of bbq, pool, lake, beach, or fireworks or all of the above. I typically find myself coming in out of the heat and watching a movie.
watch's your favorite 4th of July flick.

we always watch jaws 4th of July.
I usually watch McClintock too at some point.
Shark Week GIF

Reactions: Darryl Steight
Jan 4, 2024
I've always thought there was room in Hollywood for a movie starting with Washington's 1st meeting with the much younger Lafayette and how they became close fiends then progressing together to Yorktown. Then the weeks and months that came after. Lafayette is the most used county name in 'Merica and the most important words he evah spoke to our 1st Prez was "The project will never be complete until slavery ends.".

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
I've always thought there was room in Hollywood for a movie starting with Washington's 1st meeting with the much younger Lafayette and how they became close fiends then progressing together to Yorktown. Then the weeks and months that came after. Lafayette is the most used county name in 'Merica and the most important words he evah spoke to our 1st Prez was "The project will never be complete until slavery ends.".
I was thinking the other day, it's kind of odd we don't really have a good George Washington or Founding Fathers biopic.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
I was thinking the other day, it's kind of odd we don't really have a good George Washington or Founding Fathers biopic.
Well, you’re not allowed to portray them in any positive light because they owned slaves. And a negative movie about them might win an Oscar but won’t make any money.
It’s much easier to slightly change the dialogue in a classic movie, slap a “2” behind the name, and send that movie out.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Film Biopics usually suck because 1. people think history is boring; 2. the decision on what to emphasize because if you want it all then you should have gone the miniseries route.

So you’ve got to have a very good hook (e.g., Oppenheimer’s non-linear approach — as well as great special effects and sound).

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
4th of July always seems a day of bbq, pool, lake, beach, or fireworks or all of the above. I typically find myself coming in out of the heat and watching a movie.
watch's your favorite 4th of July flick.

we always watch jaws 4th of July.
I usually watch McClintock too at some point.
Shark Week GIF
Jaws is weirdly VERY American….

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
No, just you.***

Yes, of course it should. Just trying to keep this one unlocked. I replied to you, but it was more of a general statement for the thread.
Heard. And this is also a general statement, it gets annoying around here when practically every thread has political statements thrown flippantly around, but they only "get political" when there's pushback. Merely an observation.

Jan 4, 2024
Could you give us some examples of where you see them cancelled in a meaningful way?
They shouldn't be cancelled in ANY way. America hating leftists hate The Founding Fathers and The Constitution cuz it has too many "No's" and "Shall Not's". School names and monuments are being replaced so we all can feel safe and included.

Mjoelner

Sep 2, 2006
I'll probably watch this old History Channel series on Youtube.

I met the guy who portrays George Washington in this series. He is a preacher in Yorktown, TX. He is 6'4" whereas the real Washington was 6'2" and below is a black and white photo of him in a split photo of a life-mask made of Washington. Little know story. Washington HATED sitting for portraits so he agreed to let them make 5 life-masks of him and if someone wanted to paint him, they would have to reference one of the masks.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
It didn't happen ON the 4th of July, but if you want a true story, patriotic, sho nuff AMERICA BY GOD type of movie, Patriot's Day is great.

Other favorites:
The Right Stuff
Rocky IV
Top Gun
Maverick (Top Gun redux)
Independence Day (Top Gun with aliens)