OT: First new neighborhood in 30 years coming to Jackson

msstatelp1

Aug 21, 2012
Still don't understand why anyone thinks that someone that can afford a $200-$300k house will consider Jackson. What's supposed to be the attraction? Fondren is the closest I've been to it in decades so maybe I'm missing something.

Reactions: Double Dawg

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
This proposed neighborhood was discussed last year. I remember @horshack.sixpack starting it.

MStateDawg

Aug 3, 2021
Still don't understand why anyone thinks that someone that can afford a $200-$300k house will consider Jackson.

They might consider Jackson, but they wont consider that area of Jackson. It seems really suspicious.

Last edited:

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
This proposed neighborhood was discussed last year. I remember @horshack.sixpack starting it.

I knew this sounded familiar! $200k - $300k is "affordable" housing these days...

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Sure seems like the location was a bad decision. Should be targeting the areas east of there. Nobody will want to live in that location, it's not even walkable.
Yeah it's more than just the neighborhood it's the grocery shopping etc. especially if it's meant for medical folks that aren't going to want to live there. They would rather commute or live in fondren area or east Jackson. Unless they are attempting gentrification. But that's hard to do in some city areas. Got to rebuild the whole community not just houses and make it feel safer. Those folks in my area where gentrification has happened have found the crime is still around and folks are getting robbed or Killed outside of the 800k-1 mil dollar home come home from work or grocery store.

Reactions: Ers236

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
They might consider Jackson, but they wont consider that area of Jackson. It seems really suspicious.

The whole thing is just weird. Who is putting money into that part of Jackson? And for $200-300k homes? Are nurses and techs and hospital employees going to drop that much to be in a sketchy neighborhood? And why in the hell would residents object to new housing? I understand thriving areas having nimbyism, but even $200k new homes would still probably be an improvement over what's adjacent to it.

There's got to be some government money being pumped into this, right?

Reactions: skydawg1 and patdog

patdog

May 28, 2007
The whole thing is just weird. Who is putting money into that part of Jackson? And for $200-300k homes? Are nurses and techs and hospital employees going to drop that much to be in a sketchy neighborhood? And why in the hell would residents object to new housing? I understand thriving areas having nimbyism, but even $200k new homes would still probably be an improvement over what's adjacent to it.

Got to be a HUD project.

Reactions: skydawg1

Called3rdstrikedawg

May 7, 2016
The best area for development in Jackson is south of 20 and along Hwy 18. I have shown some houses in Brookhollow and there are still some nice homes and the area between N. Siwell and Midway Road is still a decent area. The issue is still the fear of violent crime spreading from pocket to pocket. So the prices of homes in that area are unfortunately between $125k and $200k. The next best area for development to me would be Brookwood on the old Brookwood Country Club Golf Course. The course is all grown up but ripe for development. The community is gated and there is 24 hour guard house.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
The best area for development in Jackson is south of 20 and along Hwy 18. I have shown some houses in Brookhollow and there are still some nice homes and the area between N. Siwell and Midway Road is still a decent area. The issue is still the fear of violent crime spreading from pocket to pocket. So the prices of homes in that area are unfortunately between $125k and $200k. The next best area for development to me would be Brookwood on the old Brookwood Country Club Golf Course. The course is all grown up but ripe for development. The community is gated and there is 24 hour guard house.
The only area in Jackson city limits with a prayer of success is downtown, Fondren/Belhaven and Eastover. Period.

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
Yeah it's more than just the neighborhood it's the grocery shopping etc. especially if it's meant for medical folks that aren't going to want to live there. They would rather commute or live in fondren area or east Jackson. Unless they are attempting gentrification. But that's hard to do in some city areas. Got to rebuild the whole community not just houses and make it feel safer. Those folks in my area where gentrification has happened have found the crime is still around and folks are getting robbed or Killed outside of the 800k-1 mil dollar home come home from work or grocery store.
You can't gentrify an area until you have crime under control. Jackson isn't in the same stratosphere of having crime under control. All I can figure on this is it'll be a massive rental project and HUD is involved. And they'll get that guaranteed section 8 money and federal grants to build it based on building in a disadvantaged area. Opportunity zone funding.

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
No medical professional is going to live next to the 17ing medical mall. Not unless you build an elite neighborhood with endless activities that’s in a military green zone

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013

Sounds like some are thinking it’ll increase crime, though it sounds like Stokes is pushing that narrative to them

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
You can't gentrify an area until you have crime under control. Jackson isn't in the same stratosphere of having crime under control. All I can figure on this is it'll be a massive rental project and HUD is involved. And they'll get that guaranteed section 8 money and federal grants to build it based on building in a disadvantaged area. Opportunity zone funding.
Of course. Absolute stupidity. developers know what they are doing. Make a profit and bail, no better place to do that than Mis Sipi.

Stokes, if you can get past his general dumbshlt liberal ness, actually has sense. Much more than Chockwe.

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
For those of you who remember the infamous Farish Street project that ended up like most every other project in the city of Jackson, David Watkins was the main developer who basically did nothing that was promised. He was also indicted for embezzlement in 2017. His attorney and Farish Street Group partner was a guy named Robert Gibbs. Gibbs just so happens to be behind this development. I'm sure it's all on the up and up and there is nothing suspicious going on here.

As far as Stokes goes, I wish he would find a suit that fits him. As much as it pains me to say this, he's one of the better council members Jackson has although that bar is not set really high at the moment.

Reactions: Ers236 and patdog

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
For those of you who remember the infamous Farish Street project that ended up like most every other project in the city of Jackson, David Watkins was the main developer who basically did nothing that was promised. He was also indicted for embezzlement in 2017. His attorney and Farish Street Group partner was a guy named Robert Gibbs. Gibbs just so happens to be behind this development. I'm sure it's all on the up and up and there is nothing suspicious going on here.

As far as Stokes goes, I wish he would find a suit that fits him. As much as it pains me to say this, he's one of the better council members Jackson has although that bar is not set really high at the moment.
Man I walked down Farish Street not long ago. It is really ridiculous and sad, what is allowed to happen. A total waste. It’s completely empty.

Reactions: patdog

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
If you know anything at all about Stokes and the city council, you know why he's causing a ruckus. He's not been brought "on board" yet

Reactions: patdog

mike tice

Sep 30, 2022
Of course. Absolute stupidity. developers know what they are doing. Make a profit and bail, no better place to do that than Mis Sipi.

Stokes, if you can get past his general dumbshlt liberal ness, actually has sense. Much more than Chockwe.
Stokes is your guy huh? I mean you post some of the dumbest sht on here. But after reading this maybe you can't help it? "Bricks and bottles" . WTF man

goindhoo

Feb 29, 2008

Wow. I grew up in Brookwood - hole 2. Lived there 20 years. Parents left around 2008. Glad to hear it may be revitalized.