3. Detroit, Michigan
  4. New Orleans, Louisiana
  5. Baltimore, Maryland
  6. Memphis, Tennessee
  7. Cleveland, Ohio
  8. Baton Rouge, Louisiana
  9. Kansas City, Missouri
  10. Shreveport, Louisiana
Was a little surprised at #10. Not surprised at all at #8. All the rest are about right. Sad about crime on our country. All these cities have really good places to live in and around those areas. You just have to be extra vigilant. Crime is a way of life now in the USA.
I’ve been in Shreveport the last 5 years. It’s almost identical to Jackson. It’s terrible. Murders and shootings are just crazy.

catvet

May 11, 2009
Ah Jackson, the crime filled, murder capital of Mississippi and close to tops in the world. You sadly brought it on yourself. You elected grossly incompetent leadership who do nothing for the ones who elected them and cut sweetheart deals for their buddies. In the last two years you have become a murder capital, failed to provide police to keep your violent denizens from looting and creating general mayhem, failed to provide drinking water, sewage and now trash collection. You are a pathetic joke and a blight on the world. I'm not saying that. Headlines across the country are.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
I have spoken with someone in our local law enforcement multiple times that tells me how frustrating it is to arrest the same people over and over and over. They are back on the street before they can finish filling out the paperwork. Recently there was a local shooting where someone was killed. The person that did the shooting had already been arrested over 100 times. The criminals have no fear of law enforcement. A person was arrested recently on drug possession and distribution charges not far from where I live. I was told that they had arrested this person approximately 75 times. Is it because the jails are full? Whatever happened to 3 strikes and your out? I say just take them to the train station if you know what I mean. Enough is enough.
From what I can see in the red counties near the Coast, this is because those are the guys that flip on others. Get arrested, rat someone out, get released. Rinse and repeat. It's the dumbass kids just selling a little that get the prison terms. The real thugs work the system and get back out on the streets,and the cops and prosecutors are more than happy to see their numbers go up and play along.

Reactions: preacher_dawg

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Violent crime rates in the US are the lowest they've been in decades.

Crime is a way of life in America, especially. Violent crime is up in some cities and so is the murder rate (see Portland). Violent crime is isolated in parts of cities. Be sure to live in safe neighborhoods. East St. Louis has one of the highest murder rates in the world. New Orleans has a higher murder rate than El Salvador. Living in parts of Detroit means you're unlikely to be able to start a successful business, not worry about going out at night and you're more likely to be murdered than if you lived in El Salvador. Parts of Chicago are nice. Other parts are more deadly than Iraq: https://www.newsnationnow.com/crime/parts-of-chicago-more-dangerous-than-wartime-iraq-study/
The murder rate isn't evenly distributed. The number of Black Americans murdered since the racial reckoning has increased by a few thousand but there's been no similar increase for whites or Latinos. Asian Americans have the lowest murder rates and are more likely to be killed by a member of a non-Asian ethnic groups than they are to kill non-Asians.
Crime has major social costs. Parts of cities are essentially cut off from people with social capital. It's unwise to go there. People who live in some crime ridden sections of cities wouldn't be able to survive without tax money being funneled to them from the safer, more productive parts of America. Violent crime is lower than it was in 1990 in America, unless you live in some places. Some random stuff. Be sure to live in a nice neighborhood or part of town or part of a city. Don't dismiss the social costs of violent criminals even though most people are not gonna be victims of violent criminals.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Turn off the news and go get you something to eat at Keifers.

You jackass, thanks for reminding me of another great restaurant I never get to patronize anymore….on the same day of Stromboli’s final farewell no less.

Never find myself around Jackson anymore, but the last time I was just passing through I made damn sure to get a Turkey Melt with those bomb *** cottage fries.

Last edited:
Reactions: OG Goat Holder

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
It’s not a jail problem, that’s for sure.
We don't put enough violent people in prison nor do we keep them there long enough. We also have a lot of violent people in this country and we're awash in guns. Americans have decided that easy access to guns, something that increases violence and the murder rate, is a worthwhile tradeoff for a high murder and suicide rate. Conservatives don't like gun control and we now have liberals in some cities who don't want those caught with guns illegally to be prosecuted. Conservatives sometimes exaggerate the crime problems. Liberals often ignore how violent criminals terrorize neighborhoods and law-abiding citizens and how much violent crime damages society and causes law-abiding Americans to live in fear, even if some of the fear unwarranted.

Last edited:

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
I’ve been in Shreveport the last 5 years. It’s almost identical to Jackson. It’s terrible. Murders and shootings are just crazy.
Shreveport also has some nice restaurants. Lived there briefly, off of King's Hwy near Barksdale, and heard about crime and some murders but didn't change behavior.

Anon1664516582

Sep 30, 2022
In all seriousness…. If we don’t start attacking the gang problem along with the drug problem…. This Country is done… It’s time some branch of the military start assessing these issues and be Proactive… start putting people back in prison… make them feel if they get caught.. There r gonna be rot in a jail cell.

Watched Clear & Present danger tonight. I want bombs dropped. 🤬

Reactions: preacher_dawg

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
We don't put enough violent people in prison nor do we keep them there long enough. We also have a lot of violent people in this country and we're awash in guns. Americans have decided that easy access to guns, something that increases violence and the murder rate, is a worthwhile tradeoff for a high murder and suicide rate. Conservatives don't like gun control and we now have liberals in some cities who don't want those caught with guns illegally to be prosecuted. Conservatives sometimes exaggerate the crime problems. Liberals often ignore how violent criminals terrorize neighborhoods and law-abiding citizens and how much violent crime damages society and causes law-abiding Americans to live in fear, even if some of the fear unwarranted.
That’s a very solid post.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
Memphis ....Memphis...Memphis mane.

Memphis is averaging more than one homicide a day for 2023. ( 90 in 87 days. We are over 100 as of today 4/7/23). Which is ahead of 2022s pace. That doesn't include the people that have been shot and survived. Like the other night when 7 were shot and 2 died.

oh..... then car thieves stole numerous cars out of the MPD impound lot. But then MPD arrested a few thieves after... they ranged in age from 12-15

Last edited:

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
That’s not a fact. Crime is still rare, even in high crime areas.

Are you aware there are 175K people walking around Jackson daily and crime never affects most of them?

Turn off the news and go get you something to eat at Keifers. Maybe even go to an event at the Trademart. I can nearly promise you you’ll be just fine.
"That's not a fact. Crime is still rare, even in high crime areas"

Do you realize how ridiculous that statement is?

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
From what I can see in the red counties near the Coast, this is because those are the guys that flip on others. Get arrested, rat someone out, get released. Rinse and repeat. It's the dumbass kids just selling a little that get the prison terms. The real thugs work the system and get back out on the streets,and the cops and prosecutors are more than happy to see their numbers go up and play along.
You are literally an idiot.

You think someone who has committed a more serious crime can rat out a low level person selling some “small” amount and get less of a sentence? Really? Show me a source for that. I’ll wait.

was21

May 29, 2007

10 Most Dangerous Cities in the US (#1 is the highest cost of crime)​

1. St. Louis, Missouri
  2. Jackson, Mississippi
  3. Detroit, Michigan
  4. New Orleans, Louisiana
  5. Baltimore, Maryland
  6. Memphis, Tennessee
  7. Cleveland, Ohio
  8. Baton Rouge, Louisiana
  9. Kansas City, Missouri
  10. Shreveport, Louisiana
Was a little surprised at #10. Not surprised at all at #8. All the rest are about right. Sad about crime on our country. All these cities have really good places to live in and around those areas. You just have to be extra vigilant. Crime is a way of life now in the USA.
Many of these types of articles are little more than clickbait. Anybody and everybody can come up with a list. The other day there was one on cities with the best seafood in the United States....no mention of New Orleans.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
You are literally an idiot.

You think someone who has committed a more serious crime can rat out a low level person selling some “small” amount and get less of a sentence? Really? Show me a source for that. I’ll wait.
No sir, clearly I am not the one who is the idiot here. And not only because you think you can just repeat that every time you respond to one of my posts as if that will make it true. I never said anything about a more serious crime, for just one thing, but that does appear to be the case. I was speaking more of your typical life-long drug dealing POS with a dozen arrests for trafficking who somehow isn't in prison. That is almost certainly because he is snitching, and the targets of that snitching is unlikely to be the hardened criminals that would kill him for it, no it is most likely dumb kids who are doing very low level dealing or even just using. But here's a couple of sources for you that were not hard to find, if you had the modicum of intelligence to use Google before calling someone else an idiot:

"One result of the conspiracy amendment is that low-level traffickers can get very long sentences. They can also be the victims of lies by codefendants who have figured out how to cut a deal and manipulate the sentencing laws to their advantage. High-level traffickers often get lower sentences than Congress anticipated. The top organizer is in a position, for example, to identify and testify against the people who launder money for him at a bank, corrupt police officers, airport or shipping personnel, and others. When a top organizer faces a very long mandatory or Guideline sentence, he is able to offer "substantial assistance" and get a low sentence. Examples of such deals were the much reduced sentences obtained by high level cocaine traffickers who testified against former Panamanian strongman, General Manuel Noriega, when the U.S. government prosecuted him for cocaine trafficking."

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
"The top organizer is in a position, for example, to identify and testify against the people who launder money for him at a bank, corrupt police officers, airport or shipping personnel, and others. When a top organizer faces a very long mandatory or Guideline sentence, he is able to offer "substantial assistance" and get a low sentence. Examples of such deals were the much reduced sentences obtained by high level cocaine traffickers who testified against former Panamanian strongman, General Manuel Noriega, when the U.S. government prosecuted him for cocaine trafficking."
This is why you are an idiot. This is your example.

Who would you rather bust. The "top organizer" or General Manuel Noriega?

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
This is why you are an idiot. This is your example.

Who would you rather bust. The "top organizer" or General Manuel Noriega?
Try reading the links.

ETA: and I said who I wanted to bust, the life-long drug dealing POS, rather than the dumb kids. I literally just said it in the post you are replying to.

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
If putting more people behind bars is the solution, we'd have the lowest crime rate on earth.

Top 10 Countries with the most people in prison​

1. United States — 2,068,800
  2. China — 1,690,000
  3. Brazil — 811,707
  4. India — 478,600
  5. Russia — 471,490
  6. Thailand — 309,282
  7. Turkey — 291,198
  8. Indonesia — 266,259
  9. Mexico — 220,866
  10. Iran — 189,000

Top 10 Countries with the highest rate of incarceration​

1. United States — 629
  2. Rwanda — 580
  3. Turkmenistan — 576
  4. El Salvador — 564
  5. Cuba — 510
  6. Palau — 478
  7. British Virgin Islands (U.K. territory) — 477
  8. Thailand — 445
  9. Panama — 423
  10. Saint Kitts and Nevis — 423
My take on these numbers is our methods of punishment for crime is not the cruel and medieval disincentive progressives make it out to be.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
With the various points being made in this thread, Ill toss in an upopular opinion that is related to the discussion-
Perhaps wage theft by employers is significantly worse than the typical criminal things being discussed here(short of murder).
In 2019, wage theft accounted for 100x more money stolen from people compared to formal robbery.
In 2019 alone, there was $40 billion taken in wage theft and $340 million taken in robberies. 100x more, and it was performed by corporations, white collar employers, and business owners.

Think about what that could do, if put in the hands of individuals. Some could move elsewhere. Some could pay off debt. Some could better afford healthy food. etc etc. That money could have a real positive impact on some of the very cities being discussed in this thread.

If fixed, the above issue obviously would not entirely eliminate violent crime, but there is a direct tie between violent crime and poverty. Fewer in poverty = fewer violent crimes. And in general, more money in people's pockets = lower poverty levels.

Prisons should not be filled with drug users who committed only the crime of possession. Prisons should be filled with people who are doing harm to society.
Wage theft is real and measurable harm to society. Misreporting earnings to benefit yourself or your company is real and measurable harm to society. Murder is real and measurable harm to society. OWI/DUI/DWI is real and measurable harm to society. Assault is real and measurable harm to society.
Having 2 legal systems is a real and measurable harm to society.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Respectful disagreement (I'm trying to do that more):
"If fixed, the above issue obviously would not entirely eliminate violent crime, but there is a direct tie between violent crime and poverty."
Go after wage theft, go after corporations, prosecute white collar crime (we used to), but there isn't really isn't a direct tie between violent crime and poverty. The vast majority of poor people don't commit violent crimes. That's like saying there's a direct tie between being rich and stealing wages. And murdering someone is worse than taking someone's money.

"Think about what that could do, if put in the hands of individuals."
Criminals who make money off of crime often don't suddenly quit. I do think we can provide some financial assistance, something that there is some evidence keeps low-level crime rates down. A monthly check can keep those who are fine with govt housing, Big Macs and beer from going find cash to fund that behavior.

"Prisons should not be filled with drug users who committed only the crime of possession."
They aren't and it's a myth that they are.

We have more than 2 legal systems in America and we have judges and juries with people who think differently. I do agree that being rich is beneficial in a number of ways

Reactions: mstateglfr

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Respectful disagreement (I'm trying to do that more):
"If fixed, the above issue obviously would not entirely eliminate violent crime, but there is a direct tie between violent crime and poverty."
Go after wage theft, go after corporations, prosecute white collar crime (we used to), but there isn't really isn't a direct tie between violent crime and poverty. The vast majority of poor people don't commit violent crimes. That's like saying there's a direct tie between being rich and stealing wages. And murdering someone is worse than taking someone's money.

"Think about what that could do, if put in the hands of individuals."
Criminals who make money off of crime often don't suddenly quit. I do think we can provide some financial assistance, something that there is some evidence keeps low-level crime rates down. A monthly check can keep those who are fine with govt housing, Big Macs and beer from going find cash to fund that behavior.

"Prisons should not be filled with drug users who committed only the crime of possession."
They aren't and it's a myth that they are.

We have more than 2 legal systems in America and we have judges and juries with people who think differently. I do agree that being rich is beneficial in a number of ways
- I agree that the vast majority of poor people arent committing violent crimes.

- I disagree with the claim that socioeconomic status has no tie to violent crime. See below for a couple quick references.
- This map again displays the evidently prominent relationship between crime and income. Research shows that individuals from low-income backgrounds tend to not only commit more crimes but are also more often victims of crime.
- Research from Statistics Canada (2009) shows that violent crime rate in Toronto has a direct relation to economic factors.
This study suggests that the higher rates of crime found amongst young people from socio-economically disadvantaged families reflect a life course process in which adverse family, individual, school, and peer factors combine to increase individual susceptibility to crime.

- I also agree that murder is worse than taking someone's money. I did not claim or say they are equal.

- I didnt say prisons are filled with possession convictions, though I see why you drew that conclusion based on my wording. Poorly worded, apologies. I was simply pointing out that possession is a non-violent offense which does not negatively impact society and, in my view, non-violent offenses which do not negatively impact society should not result in prison sentences nearly as frequently or as long as they have in our recent past.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Try reading the links.

ETA: and I said who I wanted to bust, the life-long drug dealing POS, rather than the dumb kids. I literally just said it in the post you are replying to.
Your example that you highlighted was Manuel Noriega.

And I’m not reading through your links unless you highlight where an actual low level guy got more time bc a higher level person ratted him out.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
"That's not a fact. Crime is still rare, even in high crime areas"

Do you realize how ridiculous that statement is?
I hate to defend goat here but he has a point.

If the crime rate is the highest in one area, that doesn’t mean it’s high. Just means it’s the highest in that area.

like auburn scored the highest amount of points in their 3-2 victory. They didn’t score a high amount of points though.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Your example that you highlighted was Manuel Noriega.

And I’m not reading through your links unless you highlight where an actual low level guy got more time bc a higher level person ratted him out.
Then maybe stop calling other posters stupid when you can't be bothered to read their links.

Eta: and really, I already did that you idiot.

"One result of the conspiracy amendment is that low-level traffickers can get very long sentences. They can also be the victims of lies by codefendants who have figured out how to cut a deal and manipulate the sentencing laws to their advantage. High-level traffickers often get lower sentences than Congress anticipated. The top organizer is in a position, for example, to identify and testify against the people who launder money for him at a bank, corrupt police officers, airport or shipping personnel, and others

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Then maybe stop calling other posters stupid when you can't be bothered to read their links.

Eta: and really, I already did that you idiot.

"One result of the conspiracy amendment is that low-level traffickers can get very long sentences. They can also be the victims of lies by codefendants who have figured out how to cut a deal and manipulate the sentencing laws to their advantage. High-level traffickers often get lower sentences than Congress anticipated. The top organizer is in a position, for example, to identify and testify against the people who launder money for him at a bank, corrupt police officers, airport or shipping personnel, and others
That’s not an example. That’s a hypothetical. I wouldn’t expect you to understand the difference though.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
That’s not an example. That’s a hypothetical. I wouldn’t expect you to understand the difference though.
Yeah. In real life .... a person that enters into a proffer agreement doesn't get to continue to deal drugs and certainly not continue to be the head of a drug trafficking organization. The proffer will be off the table.

also entering into a proffer agreement doesn't give a cooperatiing defendant total immunity for the crime or certainly not for any future crimes.

Reactions: paindonthurt

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
- I agree that the vast majority of poor people arent committing violent crimes.

- I disagree with the claim that socioeconomic status has no tie to violent crime. See below for a couple quick references.

- I also agree that murder is worse than taking someone's money. I did not claim or say they are equal.

- I didnt say prisons are filled with possession convictions, though I see why you drew that conclusion based on my wording. Poorly worded, apologies. I was simply pointing out that possession is a non-violent offense which does not negatively impact society and, in my view, non-violent offenses which do not negatively impact society should not result in prison sentences nearly as frequently or as long as they have in our recent past.
Most poor people aren't criminals. Poverty is one of many factors, perhaps not the most important one, including ethnicity to consider. Poor Asian Americans, for instance, don't engage in much violent crime. "But a new study from a Columbia University research group should remind us of something that history has consistently shown: that the relationship between poverty and crime is far from predictable or consistent." Rich people are more likely to engage in white collar crime but wealth isn't the key factor that makes one a white collar criminal. There are times when poverty has declined, it is much lower today than it was 50 years ago, and violent crime has still gone up. Did the murder spike that occurred in some American cities after the racial reckoning occur because people became more impoverished? Poverty is much greater elsewhere in the world but violent crime rates vary. Criminologist Peter Moskos: "Last year poverty went downand murder went up. In 2008, the economy tanked, and criminals barely noticed. "Between 1965 and 1975, poverty is the US was way down; violent crime way up. In the 1990s, during New York’s great crime decline, the number of New Yorkers living in poverty increased 21 percent. Inflation adjusted household and family income declined. Unemployment approached 10 percent." https://copinthehood.com/the-curious-case-of-poverty-and-crime-2/

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
You are insisting for an example for something YOU said I said???

Here's what you originally chimed in to say was stupid, for reference:

"From what I can see in the red counties near the Coast, this is because those are the guys that flip on others. Get arrested, rat someone out, get released. Rinse and repeat. It's the dumbass kids just selling a little that get the prison terms. The real thugs work the system and get back out on the streets,and the cops and prosecutors are more than happy to see their numbers go up and play along."

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Most poor people aren't criminals.
Yes, I continue to agree with this. I agree that most poor people arent violent criminals and I agree that most poor people arent criminals in general.
Fully agree, as I did before too.

The studies I provided look at stats and conclude that crime and socioeconomic status are connected.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
"It's the dumbass kids just selling a little that get the prison terms."
That's a myth. Few people are in prison for selling small amounts of drugs

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Yes, I continue to agree with this. I agree that most poor people arent violent criminals and I agree that most poor people arent criminals in general.
Fully agree, as I did before too.

The studies I provided look at stats and conclude that crime and socioeconomic status are connected.
Connected could mean that poor people are more likely to engage in violent crime more than rich people. Poor people also embrace other behaviors that rich people don't. Poor people are likely to be more uneducated, have lower IQ's, be unmarried, have kids out-of-wedlock, etc, factors that keep people poor (I'm not ignoring some structural issues that contribute).

Men are more likely to be violent criminals than women, there's a connection between being male and being a violent criminal. But, being male isn't the key factor in being a violent criminal. Most violent criminals are under 30 but being under 30 isn't the key factor. The poverty causes crime line just isn't accurate.

Last edited:
Reactions: GomJabbar

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
LBJ’s great society programs destroyed the Black nuclear family structure and middle class forever.
It didn't help. Deindustrialization was a factor too. Look at the collapse of the family among working class whites, the deaths of despair among working class whites and the rampant meth and opioid addiction in former industrial towns when the factories shut down. It's just taken a few decades for this to happen in the white community. The out-of-wedlock birthrate for working class and poor whites is around 50%.

Last edited:
Reactions: Leeshouldveflanked

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
In 1960, rich and poor people has similar marriage and divorce rates The out-of-wedlock birth rates were similar. Libertarian economics and tax cuts aren't gonna remedy this.

1990 Poor adults: 51% Working-class: 57% Middle and upper class: 65%
2017 Poor adults: 26% Working-class: 39% Middle and upper class: 56%

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login