OT: Ford Maverick.

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
If it's still around the next time I'm in the market (hopefully several years from now) I'll give it a look. It's interesting, and I agree, an untapped market.

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
Knock off Tacoma. I look forward to driving past you while your truck is broke down on the side of the road.

FORD, Fix Or Repair Daily

PineGroveBully

Nov 13, 2007
I bought a new Ranger 4wd in 05. Paid it off in 09. 2 weeks later I burnt up a fuel pump. Burnt up 3 more over the next 18 mos. Decided there was nobody in Mississippi that I disliked enough to trade/sell it to, so I drove to Huntsville and traded. Hope you didn’t buy a used red Ranger a decade or so back Rocketdawg. I will say though, I had fixed that thing into the sharpest Ranger to ever hit the road.

View attachment 21118

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Don't be so sure... The Ecoboost F150 can get awesome mileage on the highway. Add in the 36 gallon tank and you would have to stop for fuel twice in the Maverick before the F 150 does if you have a few people in the car.

This was on my drive back from Omaha to Dallas in 2019. We were getting a huge tailwind and going for max fuel efficiency.

View attachment 21120

Its a really, really small truck. Considerably smaller than a Ranger or Colorado. But if you zoom around the city and haul a few potted plants or something from time to time, it looks just fine.

Last edited:

M R DAWGS

Apr 13, 2018
Perhaps I could drive that truck if I only had 1 testicle… not with 2

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
The commercial says it's for makers... Maybe you could one off and make a new one out of paper machete.

Seriously, that ad is bad. They are billing it as the truck for arts and crafts ... Good marketing would be advertising it as the truck for tightwads that want good mileage and a cheap truck.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
My F150 has 308,000 on it and still going strong. There's a reason they're the best selling truck in America for 40+ years

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
I'm going to look at one when they come out. I just wish the hybrid version was not FWD only.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Sorry, I don't mean to pick at you... If it fits your lifestyle, get after it. I am sure the vehicle is great. But I have to say, its a bold move how Ford is marketing this truck. Straight up going after the hipster, Gen-Z, and female crowds. I don't think that will end well.

I mean look at the primary photo on the landing page for each of their trucks... One of these things is not like the other.

View attachment 21139

View attachment 21138

View attachment 21137

View attachment 21136

Last edited:

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
I'm in real estate and it could be the perfect vehicle for me. 99% of my business is selling investment properties in the mountains. Crappy gravel roads are the only "off road" reason I really need a truck or SUV.

Basically I need 3 things (in order of importance)
1) good gas mileage. I can do up to 3500 miles a month.
2) something to haul around another adult or 2 plus yard signs
3) something with a little more ground clearance than your average family sedan

Right now I have an Outback and this could replace it. I'm scared its going to be smaller than I need.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Sorry, I don't mean to pick at you... If it fits your lifestyle, get after it. I am sure the vehicle is great. But I have to say, its a bold move how Ford is marketing this truck. Straight up going after the hipster, Gen-Z, and female crowds. I don't think that will end well.

I mean look at the primary photo on the landing page for each of their trucks... One of these things is not like the other.

Oof, that hipster artist urban depiction is rough.

Sep 16, 2012
I hear ample tampon storage

I knew that was coming. But seriously, when did trucks start to get so damn big? I can't fit my Silverado in the garage and my wife is about to rip off the side backing out in the morning (in the driveway). I feel like there is a market for something a little smaller than the Ranger. I also feel like the Maverick went a little too small.

But when did trucks start to get so damn big? I don't remember them being this size in the 90s.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Somewhere around the time we started compensating for our inadequate penis sizes with big trucks instead of fast cars...

Signed,

Joe Lee
Proud owner of a Crew Cab F250

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
Have you looked at movies past 10 years? Same thing. Ive lost count on sequels to those stupid Fast and Furious movies.

Still waiting on the Bronco that's been promised for 3 years and is 2 years out on orders.

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
I knew that was coming. But seriously, when did trucks start to get so damn big? I can't fit my Silverado in the garage and my wife is about to rip off the side backing out in the morning (in the driveway). I feel like there is a market for something a little smaller than the Ranger. I also feel like the Maverick went a little too small.

But when did trucks start to get so damn big? I don't remember them being this size in the 90s.

In the 90's everyone with a truck was trying to turn it into a lowrider with a massive stereos and woofers. I'm surprised Ford went down this path since they brought the Ranger back. Honda already tried this with the Ridgeline and I don't see a lot of those on the road. Ford wants to be known as Ford tough. This looks anything but.

NWADawg

May 4, 2016
I knew that was coming. I feel like there is a market for something a little smaller than the Ranger. I also feel like the Maverick went a little too small.

This is a 40 year later replacement for the Ford Courier / Mazda B2000. People bought them back then because they were cheap, simple, efficient, and would do 90% of what people need trucks for. They were bought for function. People, in general, are much more spoiled now. Most now want big, fast luxury and comfort that happens to be able to do truck stuff when needed. The maverick won't sell well to the traditional truck buyers any more but hipsters and tuners will probably like them a lot.

Trucks seemed to jump up in size in the mid to late 90s generations. Every generation since then has gotten bigger.

An '85 f150 and a 2021 ranger are pretty close to same size.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

View attachment 21139

View attachment 21138

I don't know. They already have the Ranger for people that want small trucks. This is basically a car with a truck bed (basically a better looking, if smaller, el camino), which I can see being useful for a lot of people, but not attractive to actual truck people. If I were Ford, I'd probably be a little worried about negatively impacting the brand's image, but at the same time, they need to market the car to the people that would actually buy it. They could have marketed it to non-truck people without using the hipster stereotypes. Could have used a gardner hauling potted plants or something instead of the stereotypical hipster band look. Bikes would have been good but if you notice in the video, the wheels have to come off the bike for them to fix, which sort of emphasizes just how small that bed is.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I had a Ford Sports Trac. 425K miles before it went out. However it was basically a Mazda.

J-Dawg

Mar 4, 2009
Is the hipster/pink hair/gender-pronoun-stating demographic really that large of a audience to target? Even more so, are there that many to target that are sitting around saying "I sure do wish I had a car with a truck bed on it"?

Seems like they are catering to a very small percentage of people. Oh wait..... that's general society these days.

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
Y'all kind of missed the OP's point, which he specifically stated. They are going after an untapped market, not you guys driving trucks now. I'm sure they will still sell you a big one.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
30-35 years ago you had a lot of regular cabs and some extended cab full size trucks. Then when they started adding the 3rd & 4th rear opening doors, extended cab became more popular because it was easier to access that area. Then they added the entire 4th doors and second row seating, and people realized they could easily haul the entire family. But you needed a little more legroom for adults to ride back there. So they got even longer. And that's kind of where we are today - almost all trucks are four full sized doors with comfortable second row.

Sometime around mid 90s Dodge redesigned the "midsize" Dakota and it became popular. Larger than the S10 and Ranger, and you could get a V8. At least in my memory that's when the small trucks started growing in size. Tacoma, Frontier, eventually the S10 was replaced with Colorado - they were all larger than small trucks from the 80s / early 90s. Ford kept making the Ranger but no one wanted to buy a small truck when you could get something with a lot more room. Their sales started to drop and they were only popular with the local work / service companies - Rangers were cheap and got the job done when you needed a truck that would only have one guy in it, and only had to haul small loads of equipment in the back.

I think laws on gas mileage also had a big effect (I'm sure someone here is a lot more of an expert on this than I am). Basically different size vehicles have a different target gas mileage. It's easier to hit that target on full size trucks than compact trucks (or was considered impossible to hit on the small trucks). Now that hybrids are more common - it's possible to hit those new standards. I believe for light duty trucks it has basically doubled from about 20 to 40 mpg (no surprise - that's the mpg value on the maverick)

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Same here. My F150 bed prevents garage door closure and my balls hang out even further than that!

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Is the hipster/pink hair/gender-pronoun-stating demographic really that large of a audience to target? Even more so, are there that many to target that are sitting around saying "I sure do wish I had a car with a truck bed on it"?

Seems like they are catering to a very small percentage of people. Oh wait..... that's general society these days.

Probably? It's definitely going to be somewhat of a niche product, but there are obviously a **** ton of people that want a car in an SUV package. Some of that is probably about aesthetics but there is some functionality to being able to lay down the back seat and have one continuous storage space with a uniform'ish ceiling height. I'm guessing a lot of people that like the SUV car would also like that storage space on the exterior for hauling stuff that is dirtier than they want in their car (e.g., landscaping stuff) or stuff that is too tall (e.g., bikes). And I'm guessing like the small SUV's, there are a lot of people that basically need a car but like the aesthetics of a truck.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
I think it's bigger niche than people think. Especially people that focus on fuel mileage. Right now, all trucks and most non hybrid SUVs get 15-20 mpg at best in the city. The Ford hybrid platform gets 40+ city. My wife has a Fusion Hybrid and it consistently does it.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I could see myself buying one for my daughter one when she heads to college in 4 years.

It starts at under $20K, so used ones should be pretty reasonable by then.

Looks like the perfect size to haul her stuff back and forth.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Bumping this thread. Has anyone ordered a Maverick? It sounds like it may be a good choice for soon to be graduate. As you know the used truck market is crazy, i usually don't buy new, but I have changed my opinion on that.

TrueMaroonGrind

Jan 6, 2017
Bumping this thread. Has anyone ordered a Maverick? It sounds like it may be a good choice for soon to be graduate. As you know the used truck market is crazy, i usually don't buy new, but I have changed my opinion on that.

I am curious as well. Starting at 20k makes it appealing to those of us who want to retire at some point.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login