OT: Ford Maverick.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
I saw one in the wild last week. Way smaller than I was hoping. Hate to say it, but it reminded me of a lifted Subaru Baja.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Some friends of ours have one. Came over to my house a few weeks ago and the roof is barely 5' high. They traded in a 2 year old Ranger and say it's way smaller inside as well.

Sep 16, 2012
I saw one in the wild last week. Way smaller than I was hoping. Hate to say it, but it reminded me of a lifted Subaru Baja.

I have yet to see one in the wild, but the more the gas prices rise, the more I don't care. I just need a bed of some sort, usually. And price is so attractive. My only problem is that I live near a drivable beach and would prefer all-wheel drive. That eliminates the hybrid.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Bumping this thread. Has anyone ordered a Maverick? It sounds like it may be a good choice for soon to be graduate. As you know the used truck market is crazy, i usually don't buy new, but I have changed my opinion on that.

I'm hoping Ford puts this into assembly:

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
If they did, I would make an ill-advised financial decision. My first vehicle was a bare bones 1979 F100 SWB 300ci with a 3 speed. Man, I miss that truck.

I'm told the new electric model even has the same door squeak.

tired

Sep 16, 2013
The commercial says it's for makers... Maybe you could one off and make a new one out of paper machete.

Seriously, that ad is bad. They are billing it as the truck for arts and crafts ... Good marketing would be advertising it as the truck for tightwads that want good mileage and a cheap truck.

I disagree, this truck is perfect for my 70 yr old mother, and she'll probably purchase one. I used to work for Ford, and this has been a long time coming. They surveyed the market quite extensively before introducing it, and their marketing is right on target. It will be a very hot seller.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
I'm in the exact same boat. I want the AWD, but want a hybrid. Wife has a Ford Fusion Hybrid and we love it.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
It's crazy

I knew that was coming. But seriously, when did trucks start to get so damn big? I can't fit my Silverado in the garage and my wife is about to rip off the side backing out in the morning (in the driveway). I feel like there is a market for something a little smaller than the Ranger. I also feel like the Maverick went a little too small.

But when did trucks start to get so damn big? I don't remember them being this size in the 90s.

I bought a Titan for the sole reason is that it would fit in my garage with the garage door down. I have to kiss the front wall and get about 2 inches of clearance on the backend. The domestics are all about 3 to 4 inches longer than the Titan so I couldn't make that work without garage renovations. Nope.

archdog

Aug 22, 2012
Hell I may get one at that cost. Plus, I am about to drop 75k on my dream car here shortly. So... this cheaper truck may be useful to keep the total cost of the two down below 100k.

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
Fleet Fuel Average is what you are thinking of. It has to do with the mileage estimates across the entire line of manufacture and has a complicated formula that is definitely not just taking an average. Full size trucks do not go into the calculation but light trucks did.

Aug 3, 2019
When you were talking about Ford Mavericks, I thought it was about this

catvet

May 11, 2009
Its a truck in name only. 4.5 ft bed and 2000 pound towing is not a workable vehicle. Its a for the city glorified grocery getter. Hard pass

muhstate

Aug 29, 2013
Knock off Tacoma. I look forward to driving past you while your truck is broke down on the side of the road.

FORD, Fix Or Repair Daily

I love Toyota and drive a 2nd gen Tacoma currently but if you're talking about the 3rd gen Tacomas, they are trash.

Enjoy your open c-channel frame, buggy electronics, poor seating position, Camry engine and your transmission constantly hunting for gears before a single grain of salt eats all of the Chinesium steel.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Update. Went for a ride in a Maverick today. Rode really nice and quiet. My buddy John has had it for a few months. Average 28 mph in the gas burner with studded tires in winter Which is not not bad. Pretty small on the inside, definitely feels like a car from that standpoint. But he's really digging it. His daughter plays hockey all over the place and his mileage is way better than his 2019 Ranger was getting.

Their other car is a Subaru Crosstrek and he said the biggest advantage is keeping wet stuff (ski boots, jackets etc) and stinky hockey stuff in the back instead of inside the car where you get that mildew smell over time.

View attachment 23499

View attachment 23500

Last edited:

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Update. Went for a ride in a Maverick today. Rode really nice and quiet. My buddy John has had it for a few months. Average 28 mph in the gas burner with studded tires in winter Which is not not bad. Pretty small on the inside, definitely feels like a car from that standpoint. But he's really digging it. His daughter plays hockey all over the place and his mileage is way better than his 2019 Ranger was getting.

Their other car is a Subaru Crosstrek and he said the biggest advantage is keeping wet stuff (ski boots, jackets etc) and stinky hockey stuff in the back instead of inside the car where you get that mildew smell over time.

View attachment 23499

View attachment 23500

Thanks for the review. God it looks tiny. May get one for my son as a graduation present. He and GF love to hike and camp and will drive all over the country to do so, so the bed and good mileage will be a selling point.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Nope

Not a truck guy but isn’t the Maverick the replacement for the Ranger?

Brand new market for Ford. Ranger stays. Believe it or not, Maverick has more cabin space than the Ranger - it just doesn't have the wheelbase, bed, frame the midsize Ranger does. Last I checked, sales started off really well.

I drive a Titan bc I need it to tow a travel trailer (and actually fits in my garage). Other than that, a truck that size is overkill for my daily use. If I ever get a motor home, I'll ditch the larger truck and get a Maverick. You can flat tow the hybrid behind a Class C. As long as my fat *** is comfortable in it, I'll take enjoy the 40 mpg and occasional light utility for around the house stuff.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
F150 = Full size
Ranger = Mid Size
Maverick = Compact

I have now been in all 3. The Ranger is closer to an F150 than it is to a Maverick. My truck is a stock F250, but I kid you not the bed of my truck is as high as the roof of the Maverick.

Specs say the Maverick is 68 inches tall... That's the top of a 10" antenna. The old Datsun pick-up is the only thing I have seen so low in the truck category.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
The biggest problem is how low it is.. it's like getting down into a car. After driving a truck forever, I can barely get into my wife's SUV without smacking my head. The Maverick is lower and harder to get into.

Overall the interior is not tiny, but the transmission is jammed up into the cabin so between the bucket seats in the front is full of console. Ultimately there was leg room length wise, but it almost felt like my feet were cramped from side to side in a small compartment... Like they were in a sleeping bag.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
I need to get into one

The biggest problem is how low it is.. it's like getting down into a car. After driving a truck forever, I can barely get into my wife's SUV without smacking my head. The Maverick is lower and harder to get into.

Overall the interior is not tiny, but the transmission is jammed up into the cabin so between the bucket seats in the front is full of console. Ultimately there was leg room length wise, but it almost felt like my feet were cramped from side to side in a small compartment... Like they were in a sleeping bag.

Pretty sure I will just find I like the idea of it but once I sit in it, it'll be a hard pass for my 6'2'' frame. I wonder if you can flat tow the Bronco like you can a Jeep. Won't get me my 40 mpg, but who really cares if you are driving a Bronco?

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
As a 6’6” person I look at that vehicle and start having cramps in my legs. That thing looks tiny.

Jacknut1

May 23, 2010
I don't want one, but I think it's neat. No reason to crap on it because it doesn't fit my use case.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
The deal killer for me was not having AWD on the hybrid option. Hybrid engines on steep gravel drives are a god sent. The fact you can feather the throttle so lightly and still have good torque is really nice. Make driving in low traction situation much easier. I'm not muddin', but I am going up and down a lot of steep gravel drives. There are many occasions when my wife's 2WD Ford Fusion Hybrid does it more effortlessly than my Subaru with "x-drive".

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
It's really low. I have never stood next to a Ridgeline, but seeing them on the road it's taller than the Maverick for sure .

The tip of the mirror on my truck (next to it in the previous pics) is about the top of eye level for me at 69" off the ground. (Just measured it.) I could legit rest my chin on the Maverick's roof. It's maybe 63" from the ground to the roof? Based on the 68.7" listed in the specs, it would be as tall as my mirror and that's not even close as you can tell in the pics.

Found these online. Ford has to be getting that 68.7" from the antenna. This guy says he's 5'7" and that's about right.

View attachment 23507

This one gives a really good scale of the Ranger Maverick and F150.

View attachment 23508

FYI my friend that bought it is not a very big guy. He's probably 5'7" and his wife is 5'2". It's handy for them to clear snow off vs a bigger truck. I was out this morning clearing the snow off my roof and figured I would have to be Shaq's size to do it with ease.

Again, I am sharing this stuff real world, not the dimensions in the website as to get one you are probably ordering sight unseen. I wasn't uncomfortable once inside, felt like a small SUV. But I would say 6-2 and 250 would be the max heights and weights to drive it daily. The hardest part is bending down to get in the sucker. It's like the door is too small or something.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
That 2nd pic gives some perspective. That thing is tiny! Exactly why I skip a stall at the urinal! Comparison is the enemy of contentment.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login