OT: Gimme Birthday Trip Recs

SchrodingersDawg

Sep 15, 2020
Celebrating the big Six O this year. Trying to plan a celebratory trip for me and the old lady for Sept 28 - Oct 3. Thinking of places like Asheville, Charleston, etc. It has been 20+ since we've been to Asheville, but really enjoyed it then.

Not really interested in anything out west other than maybe Utah or Colorado. Needs to be within US and direct flight within a day from either Austin or San Antonio, TX, to airport within easy driving distance of the destination.

Bed and breakfast type places would be cool. Nice dining options, live music, craft breweries would be cool. Historical attractions would be an added bonus.

Let me know of an recommendations you have. 'ppreciate it!

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
I hear good things about Highlands, NC. Never been though.

Charleston & Asheville are great. Plenty of AirBNB, live music and craft beers in both. The Admiral in Asheville & Nightbelle were great meals. You can throw a rock and hit somewhere in Charleston.

Reactions: SchrodingersDawg

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Sounds like the New Orleans thread could apply to you as well. Will probably still be kind of hot, but less so than August.

HotMop

May 8, 2006
Celebrating the big Six O this year. Trying to plan a celebratory trip for me and the old lady for Sept 28 - Oct 3. Thinking of places like Asheville, Charleston, etc. It has been 20+ since we've been to Asheville, but really enjoyed it then.

Not really interested in anything out west other than maybe Utah or Colorado. Needs to be within US and direct flight within a day from either Austin or San Antonio, TX, to airport within easy driving distance of the destination.

Bed and breakfast type places would be cool. Nice dining options, live music, craft breweries would be cool. Historical attractions would be an added bonus.

Odessa.

• Haha

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I stick with my recommendation of Collette's in NOLA. It will certainly spice things up, it's in the CDB, Uber drivers will know how to get there. There's only one rule, you never talk about Collette's

Augustus McCrae

Aug 25, 2012
If you’re looking at western North Carolina I’d recommend Bryson City. It’s pretty laidback and low key and not too touristy. There are excellent hiking options for all skill levels, as well as rafting at the Nantahala outdoor center. I’d recommend renting a cabin but there are other options in town if you prefer, and there is at least one brewery there, maybe more now. Haven’t been in a few years.

17itdawg

Sep 30, 2022
If you’re looking at western North Carolina I’d recommend Bryson City. It’s pretty laidback and low key and not too touristy. There are excellent hiking options for all skill levels, as well as rafting at the Nantahala outdoor center. I’d recommend renting a cabin but there are other options in town if you prefer, and there is at least one brewery there, maybe more now. Haven’t been in a few years.
I've lived in WNC for a decade, and I can't say I'd describe Bryson as not touristy. Certainly compared to the TN side of the smokies, it isn't. But, for southwestern wnc, it very much is. Having said that, if you want a bit smaller than Asheville, I'd recommend the Boone area. No where else can compare to the live music scene in Asheville though. Plenty of great options in WNC. It's hard to go wrong with anything here.

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
B&B? Sounds like you wanna head to New England. Vermont and NH both are loaded. And the craft beer game is very strong in New England.
As a former New Englander, Burlington would be a great place to go for this and could explore from there. Get some Headytopper and eat some good food. Prime leaf season.

dgsmith15

Nov 10, 2008
As a former New Englander, Burlington would be a great place to go for this and could explore from there. Get some Headytopper and eat some good food. Prime leaf season.
As a current New Englander, I concur. But heady topper is a bit overrated. Focal Banger is much better imo.

Reactions: ZombieKissinger

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
As a current New Englander, I concur. But heady topper is a bit overrated. Focal Banger is much better imo.
I drank my last one in 2015 and half of that was the thrill of hunting it down. Will have to try the Focal Banger. Was going to be back up there this fall for a wedding, but had to cancel for a baby

Reactions: dgsmith15

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
Moabe in Utah is awe-inspiring!

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
Sounds like you should be hitting up oil can Harry's and maybe swing by the Leslie shrine. Top it with breakfast at Kerby lane.

SchrodingersDawg

Sep 15, 2020
Sounds like you should be hitting up oil can Harry's and maybe swing by the Leslie shrine. Top it with breakfast at Kerby lane.

I was witness to the live Leslie back in my early days in Austin in the mid to late 90s. I used to go to a hipster barbershop on South Congress. I'd be sitting there waiting my turn and see Leslie pass by the shopfront in his G string. Dude was obviously mentally ill, but mostly harmless I reckon. This was back when Austin was just charmingly weird and not the festering stupid leftist schithole it is now.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login