OT: Global Markets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lettuce

Oct 16, 2012
Before this gets locked, can someone confirm that this is War Market? Pre War?

7Dust

Sep 1, 2023
Iran claims they’re going to attack Israel tomorrow so maybe pre war?
Who knows what's true and what isn't...but some reports tonight saying the diplomat from Jordan was told by Iran on his visit today to get the king of Jordan out of the area asap or his life could be at risk.

Reactions: bulldoghair

Dawghouse

Sep 14, 2011
I wanted to (need to eventually) pull out some principal from an IRA. Meant to do it 2 weeks ago. Guess I can wait now. Trying to figure out if I can find some money to pump into it now.

Dawghouse

Sep 14, 2011
I'm generally a moderately optimistic person leaning towards the "it'll be fine" mantra. I don't have a good feeling right now.

- middle east is guaranteed to pop off
- Ukrain still going
- UK dissolving into chaos
- US election incoming

I have no idea what all this means for the markets but again, I don't have a good feeling about the short term future.

leeinator

Feb 24, 2014
I'm generally a moderately optimistic person leaning towards the "it'll be fine" mantra. I don't have a good feeling right now.

- middle east is guaranteed to pop off
- Ukrain still going
- UK dissolving into chaos
- US election incoming

I have no idea what all this means for the markets but again, I don't have a good feeling about the short term future.
Wars and Rumors of Wars

Captain Ron

Aug 22, 2012
I invest long term and don’t market time since statistically the market is up more than it is not, that being said I wish I wasn’t already maxed on the 401 for the year.

My guess is if there is much of a drop for more than a few days, you see Powell push through an emergency rate cut of at least 50 basis points.

Tall Dawg

Apr 11, 2016
Capt Ron, if u are maxed out in your IRA open a non-IRA acct. I’ve had both a SEP-IRA and a non-IRA investment accounts for 30+ yrs and they’ve been good.

Captain Ron

Aug 22, 2012
Capt Ron, if u are maxed out in your IRA open a non-IRA acct. I’ve had both a SEP-IRA and a non-IRA investment accounts for 30+ yrs and they’ve been good.
I am maxed including catch up contributions (415c Limits) That being said, I do put the excess into a taxable brokerage. I have the option of a 401A and use it back door the Roth.

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021
it’s not war …. it’s the 17n morons at the fed. every other central bank has been cutting but not these dip5hits. they 17d it up to raise too late and now they’ve 17d it up cutting too late. this affects real people. once again your govt fails you

iran is not even a paper tiger. your warmongering politicians want you to believe they are a real threat. israel could level them and the rest of the ME overnight.

Anon1704414204

Jan 4, 2024
I would bet on "Schits 'Bout To Hit The Fan". The bomb that blew up a few days ago in Tehran was planted by Israel about 2 months ago. Killed Hamas' leader and Iran's Super Pissed. Intel saying massive strike on Israel is Imminent and Team Biden's in the Situation Room. Iran's leaders are justifiably schitting their pants afraid to lay down in their beds. They prolly think they have nothing to lose at this point.

I'll leave market speculation to those who know more than me on that.

Reactions: OopsICroomedmypants

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
I would bet on "Schits 'Bout To Hit The Fan". The bomb that blew up a few days ago in Tehran was planted by Israel about 2 months ago. Killed Hamas' leader and Iran's Super Pissed. Intel saying massive strike on Israel is Imminent and Team Biden's in the Situation Room. Iran's leaders are justifiably schitting their pants afraid to lay down in their beds. They prolly think they have nothing to lose at this point.

I'll leave market speculation to those who know more than me on that.
I'll ask for myself and the rest of the world. Who exactly is on "Team Biden" and who's the team captain?

Edited to add: I'm not trying to stir shiit by asking this but I'd like to know.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
The investment department at my company was selling LP's and other investments months ago liquidating money to buy stocks they have been eying at bargain prices. They knew it was coming. The war has nothing to do with it.

Reactions: PBDog

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
Wow, Japan got smoked. Between their sovereign debt levels, the lack of birthing and the weakness of the yen they are circling the drain.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
I'll ask for myself and the rest of the world. Who exactly is on "Team Biden" and who's the team captain?

Edited to add: I'm not trying to stir shiit by asking this but I'd like to know.
I assume the answer is the same for any presidency (and for most things in life): follow the money.

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
it’s not war …. it’s the 17n morons at the fed. every other central bank has been cutting but not these dip5hits. they 17d it up to raise too late and now they’ve 17d it up cutting too late. this affects real people. once again your govt fails you
you know when people on both side of the aisle are screaming it then it is probably correct.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
how can this moron continue to be employed- he has missed every signal on both ends
Inflation has been at target for 6 months. The lag in housing data was propping up headline CPI. Anyone could see it but somehow the Fed/Powell ignored it.

If you want to know what inflation is really doing, don't use slow and antiquated government data. Private data tells the real story in real time.

The red line marks when we hit 2% back in February according to Truflation.

1000014434.png

Good news is we have lots of room to wiggle on the Fed Funds rate. Fed could drop rates 300bps and we'd still be higher than any other time in 15 years (excluding the last 2 years.) 4.5% 30 year mortgages would unlock the housing jam and create a lot of refi activity that will get the economy pulled back up quickly.

1000014435.png

I figure after the election there's going to be a huge surplus of money into the economy as well.... Either through tax cuts or student loan forgiveness. And I know which one I prefer.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Inflation has been at target for 6 months. The lag in housing data was propping up headline CPI. Anyone could see it but somehow the Fed/Powell ignored it.

If you want to know what inflation is really doing, don't use slow and antiquated government data. Private data tells the real story in real time.

The red line marks when we hit 2% back in February according to Truflation.

View attachment 622409

Good news is we have lots of room to wiggle on the Fed Funds rate. Fed could drop rates 300bps and we'd still be higher than any other time in 15 years (excluding the last 2 years.) 4.5% 30 year mortgages would unlock the housing jam and create a lot of refi activity that will get the economy pulled back up quickly.

View attachment 622419

I figure after the election there's going to be a huge surplus of money into the economy as well.... Either through tax cuts or student loan forgiveness. And I know which one I prefer.
Always appreciate your realistic level headed takes.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004

iran is not even a paper tiger. your warmongering politicians want you to believe they are a real threat. israel could level them and the rest of the ME overnight.
Honest question. If the other central banks were doing it right, why are they taking a bath as well?

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005

illuminati GIF

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Honest question. If the other central banks were doing it right, why are they taking a bath as well?
Central banks aren't all powerful. Like a lot of gov't actors, they can 17 things up a lot, but they can't just magically fix problems unless the fix is for them to stop doing something that's causing the problem. Central banks can more or less control inflation in the currency they control and limit fluctuations in the supply and demand for money causing problems in the real economy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login