OT: heartbreak in Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ers236

Oct 5, 2023
I'm not familiar with that particular syndrome, but there have been cases in female track athletes with unusually high testosterone production (in particular Caster Semenya of South Africa, whom lots of people on this board also insisted was secretly a man or transgender) being required to take drugs to lower their testosterone levels down in order to compete.
Same with Barbra Banda of Zambia, one of the best women's soccer players. She had abnormally high testosterone levels and couldn't compete in some tournaments.

Reactions: patdog

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
Some of you are really obsessed with anything related to whether or not a person has a penis. Can yall consider going to chat with a mental health professional, instead of broadcasting your inner monologues on sixpackspeak dot com?
Textbook:

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
It is clearly evident that this thread kind of acts as a microcosm of the wider population and their cognitive dissonance (hypocrisy?). One post was spot on that one side seems to selectively rely on science (male/female is social while global warming is real or vise versa for the other side). Conversely, there is the crowd that says I draw the line at anything that creates a competitive advantage in something meaningless like sports, but I see no problem with things that cause a real competitive advantage in real life such as growing up in a stable home or even one with a 10 million dollar trust fund. That kid clearly has the same opportunity to make it as a kid who grew up with one parent working a minimum wage job. But I hate a competitive advantage! Sure you do.
Ok so we can’t separate sports and their rules and interpretations from socio-economic issues. Good lord man.

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
Personally, I think these are 2 completely separate questions with different answers, and they should not be conflated:

1. Should biological males who medically transition into women be allowed to compete as women?

2. Should biological females whose bodies naturally produce an unusually high amount of testosterone (though not nearly at the typical male level) be allowed to compete as women?

patdog

May 28, 2007
The "ban" was reversed after further testing.

Again, a country like Algeria is not going to allow a man or a transwoman to compete as a woman at the Olympics, even if the Olympics were to allow it. How is this fact not a huge red flag you?
Again, you are lying. The ban was not reversed after further testing. The IOC simply banned the IBF from having any say in Olympic eligibility and chose to ignore the testing that confirmed the Algerian boxer is male.

Reactions: bolddogge

Anon1704414204

Jan 4, 2024
It is clearly evident that this thread kind of acts as a microcosm of the wider population and their cognitive dissonance (hypocrisy?). One post was spot on that one side seems to selectively rely on science (male/female is social while global warming is real or vise versa for the other side). Conversely, there is the crowd that says I draw the line at anything that creates a competitive advantage in something meaningless like sports, but I see no problem with things that cause a real competitive advantage in real life such as growing up in a stable home or even one with a 10 million dollar trust fund. That kid clearly has the same opportunity to make it as a kid who grew up with one parent working a minimum wage job. But I hate a competitive advantage! Sure you do.
I can't believe you just compared biological male advantages over women in The Ring and Trust Fund Babies VS those born in The Projects. But You Did.

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
Again, you are lying. The ban was not reversed after further testing. The IOC simply banned the IBF from having any say in Olympic eligibility and chose to ignore the testing that confirmed the Algerian boxer is male.
This is correct. The IOC simply said.. "Hey, IBF.. get 17ed. We make our own rules from here on."

Reactions: patdog

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
Personally, I think these are 2 completely separate questions with different answers, and they should not be conflated:

1. Should biological males who medically transition into women be allowed to compete as women?

2. Should biological females whose bodies naturally produce an unusually high amount of testosterone (though not nearly at the typical male level) be allowed to compete as women?
But is the boxer in question a "biological female"? All I see mentioned is the "intersex" part and the part that states clearly that she was raised as a female and identifies as a female.

Even if she has some type of genetic anomaly that causes her to produce more testosterone than normal females, how is that any more fair than a female that's doping getting disqualified? There's a reason steroids are tested for as well as any other growth hormone that gives an athlete an unfair advantage.

Villagedawg

Nov 16, 2005
Ok so we can’t separate sports and their rules and interpretations from socio-economic issues. Good lord man.
Well when we react to sports stories and their rules as if they are as important as socio-economic and geo-political issues, it kinda follows. And by the way, I don't think biological men should be allowed to compete against biological women either. The disconnect and the infinite ability for us (including me) to hold contradictory opinions fascinates me.

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
First of all, accusing someone of lying on a message board is stupid and childish. I have much better things to do than lie on a message board. I could hypothetically post something that was wrong, but it would be by mistake, not intentionally.

There are articles out there saying that she met the IOC's testing requirements in both 2021 (where she competed without controversy) and in 2024.

patdog

May 28, 2007
First of all, accusing someone of lying on a message board is stupid and childish. I have much better things to do than lie on a message board. I could hypothetically post something that was wrong, but it would be by mistake, not intentionally.

There are articles out there saying that she met the IOC's testing requirements in both 2021 (where she competed without controversy) and in 2024.
I certainly didn't say it lightly.

Reactions: Bhamdawg1725

Barkman Turner Overdrive

May 28, 2006
Women are the biggest supporters of all the unscientific gender theory horseshite and the idea that all that's needed is a pronoun change to reflect who you really are. Let this stuff play out and see what happens.
Exactly! And to those women I love to say, "there's nothing a woman can do that a man pretending to be a woman cannot do better."

• Haha
Reactions: Mts68

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
I just want to point out once again that not one person on either side of this particular argument in this thread knows for sure what is going on. But both sides are fighting like the fate of the free world rides in the balance. It is this way at all times on every subject.

to be clear: if this is a biological male, I am against him competing. But at this point all we have is a shiiite ton of hearsay and accusations. How bout we pump the breaks and see if some facts come out? What if this truly is a woman? Then all the crap flinging is pretty damn mean.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
To me, anything that would cause a person's gender to be ambiguous should disqualify them from competing in a division set aside specifically for women. Anyone else has to compete in the "open" division.
Since this competitor is "intersex".. maybe it could flip flop.. like, you know.. maybe it has to fight it's next match against a biological male.

Why relegate it to only female competition?

Reactions: WilCoDawg

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Allowing men to compete as women isn't progressivism, it's denial of reality. I and, I think, most others who consider themselves progressive think men in women's sports is insanity.
The problem here is the real world is complicated, not simple.

Here's a relevant passage I found while looking for the scientific definition of male re xxy and such cases:

"Boy babies may be born that are truly males but under the impact of the feminizing hormone appear superficially to be females and are often raised as such. As a rule, even when older, they have more or less sterile, undescended testes; an imperfect penis; well-developed breasts; an unbroken voice; and no beard. One in a thousand may be like this and on occasion may have won in women’s Olympic competitions. In other cases, those somewhat less severely affected, during adolescence when the hidden testes begin to secrete their own male hormones in abundance, the falsely female characteristics become suppressed, and the voice, beard, breasts, and sexual interest take on the pattern of the male. What were thought to be girls in their youth change into the men they were meant to be upon reaching maturity."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login