OT: Help me out pack - birthday in New Orleans

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
Here's the deal. My wife has been battling cancer for 7 years now. Her 32nd birthday is this week. It's been rough the last few weeks, so I haven't planned anything due to her condition...but she's bound and determined to go do something fun now. We have been to New Orleans a hundred times, but really do the same stuff over and over. Here's what I need - something fun that will surprise her. Something most people don't think or know about maybe. Also, what's the absolute best place to eat. We don't typically eat fine dining and have our hole in the wall places we typically frequent, but I'm wanting to do something special. Any all recommendations are appreciated. Doesn't necessarily have to be New Orleans. We live right around the state line so anywhere in the southeast boot works.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Hotel Montleone or the Roosevelt + dinner at Galatoire's, Antoine's, or even GW fins is a tried-and-true recipe for some upscale memories.

The hotel bar at the Westin behind the mall on Canal has such a great view of the river.

I think my all-time favorite thing to do is get a ride to Camamento's for a giant lunch, then get another ride to Cooter Brown's for a couple daytime cocktails, then take the St Charles streetcar all the way back to Canal. Just a fantastic afternoon.

Reactions: 1reddog and willi13

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
Here's the deal. My wife has been battling cancer for 7 years now. Her 32nd birthday is this week. It's been rough the last few weeks, so I haven't planned anything due to her condition...but she's bound and determined to go do something fun now. We have been to New Orleans a hundred times, but really do the same stuff over and over. Here's what I need - something fun that will surprise her. Something most people don't think or know about maybe. Also, what's the absolute best place to eat. We don't typically eat fine dining and have our hole in the wall places we typically frequent, but I'm wanting to do something special. Any all recommendations are appreciated. Doesn't necessarily have to be New Orleans. We live right around the state line so anywhere in the southeast boot works.
Irene's is quite romantic with great food and not too over the top with the fine dining schtick.
Have a wonderful time.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
I always recommend the Pontchatrain Hotel.

It’s got the best rooftop bar in NOLA and the Saints were founded there. Last time I was there I bumped into Coach O carrying Red Bulls out of one of the bars. Plus, it’s in the Garden District which is a little less hectic.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Lunch at Cochon Butcher, Dinner at Peche, Drink at the Columns Hotel bar. Have fun!

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Haven't been, but heard Miss River at the 4 Seasons is legit. It's the same guy that does Shaya I think, which is another really good restaurant.

Doris Metropolitan is one of my favorites, although it's somewhat limited on the entree options if you're not looking for steak or lamb.

Going to be lots of good options though. I still like Commander's Palace and it has a good atmosphere if you want it to just feel like a nice dinner. Not the best bang for your buck, but Restaurant August also has a good white tablecloth atmosphere. I also like Arnauds.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
I always recommend the Pontchatrain Hotel.

It’s got the best rooftop bar in NOLA and the Saints were founded there. Last time I was there I bumped into Coach O carrying Red Bulls out of one of the bars. Plus, it’s in the Garden District which is a little less hectic.
My daughter and her husband stayed there this fall and loved it....good recommendation.

Reactions: 57stratdawg

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
DS, HD6, and I went to Jacques Imo’s when we played ULL in NO and we all loved it. You know our fatasses appreciate good food.

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
Try the Hotel Saint Vincent as well.
I would second Hot Tin rooftop bar.
Not rooftop but Cafe Amelie and Sylvain are excellent choices for a drink.
Can’t go wrong at Pascal’s Manale and the bbq shrimp.

Faustdog

Jun 4, 2007

My wife likes Coquette in the Garden District. Need reservations pretty far in advance. Also, Luvi if she likes sushi.

For more old school, traditional, New Orleans nice, Commanders Palace is it.

atomic dawg

Apr 4, 2019
ha, sounds like someone else has been there!
Ive never attended. I did stay at the Hilton Garden across the street one time. Some of that crowd was in the hotel lobby early in the evening. Its not the Saintsations or Rick's girls going in there, thats for sure. Lot of freak flags flying though.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Ive never attended.
Jennifer Lawrence Ok GIF

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

maroonmadman

Nov 7, 2010
Peche and Jaque Imo's are me and the madwoman's favorites. Try the tuna at Peche, best I've ever had. For just a sammich or light lunch try Stein's Deli in the garden district. Probably the best beer selection in NO and a damn fine deli sammich too.

Jul 8, 2007
Find out if Kermit Ruffins is playing somewhere and go there or John Boutte if you can't find Kermit.

Dinner at Vincents. Best Italian Restaurant I've ever been to.

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
My wife likes Coquette in the Garden District. Need reservations pretty far in advance. Also, Luvi if she likes sushi.

For more old school, traditional, New Orleans nice, Commanders Palace is it.
What’s the attire for Coquette? The blind 5 course dinner has my interest

DawgInThe256

Feb 18, 2011
Restaurants:
Herbsaint
La Petite Grocery
Commanders Palace (didn't like it quite as much as the others, mainly because I didn't like having to wear a jacket, but the bread pudding is worth it)

Don't have a lot of experience with hotels, but we've been happy with the Ritz.

Sep 15, 2009
Hotel Montleone or the Roosevelt + dinner at Galatoire's, Antoine's, or even GW fins is a tried-and-true recipe for some upscale memories.

The hotel bar at the Westin behind the mall on Canal has such a great view of the river.

I think my all-time favorite thing to do is get a ride to Camamento's for a giant lunch, then get another ride to Cooter Brown's for a couple daytime cocktails, then take the St Charles streetcar all the way back to Canal. Just a fantastic afternoon.
Heck, I'm going to be there next week, and I might even try this little tour. Thanks Dorndawg.

Reactions: dorndawg

FQDawg

May 1, 2006
I'll second (or third) Jacque Imo's. I haven't been in a few years but just know that they generally don't take reservations and the wait can be long, especially if you go later in the evening. It's nice without being dress up in a suit kind of nice. Though if you want that, you really can't beat Commander's Palace. It's No. 1 on most lists for a reason. If you or your wife like steak, try Doris Metropolitan in the Quarter. Had one of the single greatest meals of my life there.

As for other, more casual, places to eat, I really like High Hat Cafe on Freret St. Or Parkway Tavern in Mid City (maybe the best poboy in the city). Joey K's on Magazine is also good. Superior Seafood on the corner of Napoleon and St. Charles does a great brunch on the weekends.

If you want a relatively low-key place to hang out at night (or during the day), you can try Carrollton Station on the corner of Willow and Dublin. It's a "local pub" kind of place but every time I've been, the regulars have been pretty friendly. They sometimes have bands/musicians though, so that might be worth checking into before you go if you're looking for something a little less noisy.

The Columns on St. Charles is also a great place to grab a drink and just hang out. So is Delachaise, also on St. Charles, and they have some pretty good food, too.

Last edited:
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login