OT: Hooters

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
I don't know that reading an earnings call transcript is going to give you the real story if you don't have enough background to read between the lines.

"For the third quarter, we delivered adjusted earnings per share of $0.63, reflecting significant challenges in the U.S. Retail Pharmacy business stemming from a worse than expected consumer environment and challenging pharmacy industry trends, partially offset by strength in U.S. healthcare and international."

That could be inflation and a consumer that is running out of gas. Could also mean "we suck at retail right now but it's better to blame the amorphous 'consumer environment'".

But there is also:

"In U.S. Retail Pharmacy, we witnessed continued pressure on the U.S. consumer."

" We expect the operating environment to remain challenging. We do not expect an improvement in the U.S. retail environment."

"Turning next to our U.S. retail business, comparable retail sales declined 2.3% in the quarter. As Tim mentioned, the consumer backdrop remains a challenge. With this continued channel shift and a sustained pullback in discretionary spending..."

Those are all comments consistent with inflation sucking the wind out of consumers and I'm sure there are more, although you'd need somebody that pays more attention to Walgreens to say for sure.

One thing that is barely mentioned at all as far as I can tell is shoplifting. The only statement I can find is:

"While we're seeing early signs of customers responding to our actions, retail gross margin declined more than previously anticipated due to our price and promo investments this year lapping last year's margin recovery actions as well as higher levels of shrink."

I suspect that is a pretty big issue for them at some of their locations right now yet they aren't going to give details on that in an earnings call. Just too touchy. It does talk about roughly 25% of their stores being deadweight right now. Certainly lots of those are probably too close to other locations without enough population to justify it. But I suspect a good number of those stores are also in jurisdictions where shoplifting is no longer adequately prosecuted. But again, you'd need somebody that pays more attention to Walgreens to really know how to interpret those statements and also to know what information they are leaving out.
The takeaway is their pharmacy model sucks.

But the post really wasn't meant to be too deep. It was to pick on The Post - who couldn't even get the headline right. I could have posted the 8-k to show that revenue increased, rather than plunged as the headline stated.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
The takeaway is their pharmacy model sucks.

But the post really wasn't meant to be too deep. It was to pick on The Post - who couldn't even get the headline right. I could have posted the 8-k to show that revenue increased, rather than plunged as the headline stated.
Walgreens had/has some issues with suppliers for numerous medications that other pharmacies don’t have a problem with. We ended up having to change my daughters prescription to Walmart because Walgreens couldn’t get it and what was even worse is Walgreens was telling customers that the medication wasn’t available anymore (as in it was gone forever from anywhere).

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Used to go to Horn Lake all the time. My go to was the appetizer with wings, shrimp, and tenders all breaded and hot with a side of fries and cheese sauce. A lot of people trash their wings, but I really like them.
I haven’t been to the Horn Lake one in forever but yeah I think their wings aren’t bad at all. I usually get them naked.

I’ve never understood the fascination with Buffalo Wild Wings and the one in Southaven is terrible.

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004
I haven’t been to the Horn Lake one in forever but yeah I think their wings aren’t bad at all. I usually get them naked.

I’ve never understood the fascination with Buffalo Wild Wings and the one in Southaven is terrible.
I like both, but prefer the breaded as long as they aren’t dripping grease. BWW was good at first. Sometime around 2008-9 they changed ingredients, and it was not for the better. I started going to Fox and the Hound instead. Haven’t been to either in years though.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I like both, but prefer the breaded as long as they aren’t dripping grease. BWW was good at first. Sometime around 2008-9 they changed ingredients, and it was not for the better. I started going to Fox and the Hound instead. Haven’t been to either in years though.
Do you still go to the Fox and the Hound? Heard it gets a little out of control in there sometimes.

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
My towns hooters is great. It's always busy. Sometimes it's about the management and available talent you have for waitresses. The last time I went to the one in Jackson ages ago was scary.

The one here is closing. The area it was in was becoming slightly sketchy though.

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004
The greatest Hooters there ever was closed a long time ago. The one next to Plantinim Plus. I pregamed there many, many nights.
I remember opening night. The line was so long to get in they had a temporary bar in the parking lot.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
The greatest Hooters there ever was closed a long time ago. The one next to Plantinim Plus. I pregamed there many, many nights.
I remember opening night. The line was so long to get in they had a temporary bar in the parking lot.
Both of those establishments are vestiges of a bygone era. Probably for the best.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
The one here is closing. The area it was in was becoming slightly sketchy though.
Hmm. You are in Huntsville? I heard it was closing. I was there for work a few times over last year. Went to the chic fil a right there and a couple of other restaurants close but I didn't really feel like it was sketchy. Didn't really feel like any of Huntsville was that sketchy. I feel like in comparison in comparison Huntsville is one of the nicest small cities out there. Still has a small town safeness feel to it but a lot of modern newer development and lot of amenities.
Years ago I enjoyed that hooters when I was in town for work. Didn't try last time I was there. Found much better places to eat.