OT: Hot Sauce Rec

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Since nobody is going to bang Jlo or JGar or their mum's on the board (unless Ben Affleck is lurking,) I figured I would be useful to some of you.

A while back we had a hot sauce thread and it was fairly widely participated if I remember. Well a few months ago for my Bday, the wife got me a subscription to Hot Ones hot sauces. It's the YouTube channel where celebrities are interviewed while eating 10 wings with increasingly hot sauces.

Any how, I have had it for 3 months now and gotten 9 different bottles of hot sauce and have found the winner. Hands down the best hot sauce I have ever had.

Collards and Ghost is the name. Collard green base with ghost peppers for heat. On the hot ones 1-10 scale, I think it's an 8. But it is absolutely delicious.The collard greens add an earthiness to the sauce that is amazing.

I mix it with sour cream for a tortilla chip dip. I put it on rice. Great on eggs. And it's killer on anything chicken.

Anyhow, none of the others are worth writing home about. There is an interesting coffee based one, but the heat is lacking.

Collards and Ghost. A high heat hot sauce with a Mississippi flavor if there ever was one. It's only available from Hot Ones (Heatonist.) $12 a bottle is pricy, but if you like hot sauce, definitely worth it. Hopefully some of you will get and recreate the recipe for us. Link below. I'm leaving town for a few weeks and will order 3-4 bottles when I get back. So don't buy it all up 17ers.

https://heatonist.com/products/hot-n-saucy-collards-n-ghost

Last edited:

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
Gonna try to find a bottle on Amazon.
It’s expensive, but I really like Truff. Love it on fish. Used some with kerrygold to make a Buffalo sauce for some smokafried wings a few weeks ago. Just damn.

M R DAWGS

Apr 13, 2018
Crystal hot sauce is the best there is. Lived in New Orleans for 2 years, no one disagreed with that statement.

DerHntr

Sep 18, 2007
Melinda’s Fire Roasted Garlic and Habanero is shockingly good for a change of pace. It has much more flavor than a Sriracha or Louisiana Hot Sauce, so it can’t go on everything.

DAWGS1.sixpack

Feb 15, 2007
Crystal hot sauce is the best there is. Lived in New Orleans for 2 years, no one disagreed with that statement.
I use to think the same but I may now prefer Louisiana Hot Sauce over Crystal. It would be close but Louisiana may be just a little better.
I need to do a blind taste test.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
Everyone is falling for the trap. Hot Sauce is like wine. It all depends upon what you are eating to determine which hot sauce to use. I like straight Tobasco in my Chicken and Dumplings. I use Tapatio in my refried beans and mexican rice. Home made hot cocktail sauce when I am doing shrimp, Sriracha on some Chinese foods, I still like to add Franks to my chicken wings etc. There is no such thing as a "best" hot sauce. Many have their own flavors and those flavors compliment different dishes. I must have 20 different hot sauces at my house and use them all for different things.

There is one I have only used once because I used too much in a chili. Wenches Gold Walk the Plank. Had to drink about a half gallon of milk after the initial spoonfull of chili. It is a local Cape Coral, FL brand where my daughter resides.

Last edited:

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
Melinda’s Fire Roasted Garlic and Habanero is shockingly good for a change of pace. It has much more flavor than a Sriracha or Louisiana Hot Sauce, so it can’t go on everything.

Melinda's Habanero was on the condiment shelf in Perry Cafeteria in my day. Using that on pizza is what got me started on hot sauce.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Yalls palate likely hasn’t developed enough to appreciate the best…Frank’s.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Everyone is falling for the trap. Hot Sauce is like wine. It all depends upon what you are eating to determine which hot sauce to use. I like straight Tobasco in my Chicken and Dumplings. I use Tapatio in my refried beans and mexican rice. Home made hot cocktail sauce when I am doing shrimp, Sriracha on some Chinese foods, I still like to add Franks to my chicken wings etc. There is no such thing as a "best" hot sauce. Many have their own flavors and those flavors compliment different dishes. I must have 20 different hot sauces at my house and use them all for different things.

There is one I have only used once because I used too much in a chili. Wenches Gold Walk the Plank. Had to drink about a half gallon of milk after the initial spoonfull of chili. It is a local Cape Coral, FL brand where my daughter resides.

I agree with all of this but I have yet to come across a situation where regular tobasco wasn't a distant third or fourth best option. I would take Crystal, Louisiana, and Frank's (usually in that order, except I like Frank's for wings) before tabasco in anything I've ever eaten.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
I love hot sauce

But I pity y’all who have to put it in chicken and dumplings. Maybe one day you can have some good chicken and dumplings.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
I agree with all of this but I have yet to come across a situation where regular tobasco wasn't a distant third or fourth best option. I would take Crystal, Louisiana, and Frank's (usually in that order, except I like Frank's for wings) before tabasco in anything I've ever eaten.

I keep several options, but I to think Tabasco is unfairly maligned. I really like that vinegar flavor with richer foods. I wonder if Tabasco kinda messed up their hot sauce street cred when they tried to put their logo on everything 20 years ago or whatever.

The biggest dorks you knew were rocking these bad boys in 1999:

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I've been a Louisiana Hot Sauce guy for years and about a year or two ago made the switch to Crystal. I don't dislike Louisiana just re-tried Crystal and stuck with it.

When I want something different I've always got some Cholula in the cabinet. Their Sweet Habanero or Chipotle is really good stuff if you like sweet heat. Mix either of those with your favorite BBQ sauce half and half and its really good if you are into sweet bbq sauces.

If all that's available is Tabasco, I'll do without. Never have liked that stuff

Last edited:

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008

This is well said.

I like Tabasco in rich things like gumbo, but not in places where it's flavor (and heat) is more front and center. I get the impression those peppers are aged longer and have a different flavor than the cayenne's found in most common sauces. I just don't love it.

Frank's is my favorite for most applications. Nice bright flavor with a garlic hint and low enough heat to comfortably eat a lot.

msu86

Sep 17, 2015
For me they all have their purpose:
Stew= Crystal
Raw Oyster= Tobasco
Wings= Franks
Fish= Louisiana
Peas and Cornbread= a homemade sauce my friend ferments using Mango and Habnero

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007

^^^THIS is the correct answer for people that are looking for a great flavor and not a lot of heat. I love it
especially to add to stews, gumbo, and any Cajun style dish I cook.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I keep several options, but I to think Tabasco is unfairly maligned. I really like that vinegar flavor with richer foods. I wonder if Tabasco kinda messed up their hot sauce street cred when they tried to put their logo on everything 20 years ago or whatever.

The biggest dorks you knew were rocking these bad boys in 1999:

I just feel like Tabasco is all heat and very little flavor. I like heat, but want the flavor too.

MaxwellSmart

May 28, 2007
When I was a youngster, I'd try any hot sauce available. Not anymore! Now I'm pretty much Crystal, Frank's and Louisiana in no particular order. The only thing like from Tobasco is their chipotle. I do also use some Cholula with tacos at home.

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
We do family vacations with my wife's family every couple of years. Me and my FIL have found some hot sauce stores at a couple of the places we've vacationed and we'll spend 30m to an hour trying different ones. He loves hot sauce, so every year for father's day I buy him different sampler packs. This last year I bought him just one bottle of carolina reaper hot sauce. I can't describe the inferno that it produced. He couldn't even enjoy it, so we ended up putting it in a batch of crawfish and it was really damn good. It wasn't like adding a bunch of boil where it's so over-flavored and hot. They had the perfect flavor, but were hot af.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Crystal for normal flavor hot sauce. I do like Asian zing though. Got a good flavor. Mango habanero is also fire!

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
Wife can't do heat of any type so I have to cook everything more bland than I like. I also like that vinegary taste of tabasco in that dish.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Recommendation Abort. Abort.

I guess I am on an island by myself with my heat tolerance/taste. I'm going to burn you mofos up. Most of the things being discussed on here I can't get a lick of heat, just vinegar. Tabasco is where I start to taste a little zing, but it's very mild. Below is the list of Hot Ones 1-10 scale on the hot sauces used on the show mentioned in this thread and their respective heat index/scoville ratings.

View attachment 24861

Below is all the hot sauce i currently have in my house, left to right in heat.

View attachment 24862

I put the gaps to show there is a big distance between some. My daily user is a Trader Joe's Habanero Sauce that is in the 50,000+ Scoville unit range and at least 10X hotter than standard Tabasco. I go through a bottle a week for eggs and adding a little kick to things. So I take it back, the Collards N Ghost will set your mouths and ******** on fire if Tabasco is hot to your taste. If you like the really hot stuff it's great and for true fire the Psycho sauce is 666,000 scoville units, but actually has some good flavor profile. My Dave's bottle is nowhere near as hot, but just has a bitter capsaicin taste.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Marie Sharp's

Now we're talking. So good. Hard to find though. Same heat level as the Trader Joe's. Had it at a friend's, but I get the Trader Joe's because it's cheap and easy vs ordering online.

ETA. Ordering a bottle for side by side comp.

natchezdawg

Oct 4, 2009
If you can ever find it - Grazi sauce...

Back Yard Burger sold it in the bottle and served it on a burger for years, but that was discontinued. I heard some locations have brought it back, but I have not seen it personally.

According to the guy who wrote this article, Panola Pepper in Lake Providence (mentioned in a post above) bottles it, but I can't find it if they do.

https://explorepartsunknown.com/mississippi/in-search-of-spicy-food-and-the-devil-in-the-delta/

Mild and tangy - great on greens, okra, anything. I've had the original recipe / method homemade with peppers straight from the Bolivar County dirt.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
That Wenches Gold Walk the plank is in that neighborhood. And yes I admit that is too hot for me.

Aug 3, 2011
Speaking of Hot Ones the Los Calientes Rojo and Los Calientes Verde are good daily users. I think the Verde is about 35k on Scoville and the Rojo is about 50k. Both are excellent.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login