OT: Hot Sauce Rec

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I look forward to getting them, hopefully. That's in the good heat range. This month I get the Los Calientes Barbacoa(33,000 scoville heat units.) I'll let you know if it's good. The other two are complete ends of the spectrum. 1800 and 2,000,000+ SHUs.

View attachment 24867

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
That Wenches Gold Walk the plank is in that neighborhood. And yes I admit that is too hot for me.

As I have been learning about hot sauce, the Walk The Plank hits one of the no-no's for me. We've all heard of Dave's Insanity sauce. And while it's very hot, the "Gourmet" version I have is way less overall hot than others I have had. Yet all you can taste is bitter heat. No good flavors to go along.

Anyhow, I wanted to use it in my chili and it ruined it. Dave's and the Wenches Gold Walk the Plank both have chili/pepper extract. The better hit sauces use actual peppers. Here are the ingredients of 4 hot sauces. 3 I have and the Dave's tastes like aspirin and heat. Nowhere near as hot as the Psycho, but ruins food because the bitter heat buries the flavors.

Wenches Gold Walk The Plank SHUs Unknown

Ingredients: Aged Red Peppers, Vinegar, Salt and Chile Extract.

Trader Joe's Habanero Hot Sauce +/- 80,000 SHUs
Delicious
View attachment 24868

Dave's Gourmet Insanity Sauce 180,000 SHU's
Tastes like wasabi and aspirin
View attachment 24869

Dingo Psycho Hot Sauce 666,000 SHUs
Very good, but you must mix it with something like salsa or sour cream or just put a few dashes in your bowl of chili.

View attachment 24870

So, if you want to try it again, look for one with natural peppers and no extract. I went down the rabbit hole and extract is basically like adding pepper spray to hot sauce to give it more heat. It's not enjoyable.

Last edited:

tired

Sep 16, 2013
I love Catalina dressing, & enjoy putting it on my pizza. I had a spicy Catalina dressing when I was out west a few years back & it was the best. I haven’t been able to find it or replicate it since. Kraft has a spicy Catalina that’s pretty good, but not like this

Crazy Cotton

Aug 26, 2012
Yall should try this one - next time you're in Walmart go to the Asian section. It has a lot going on, been putting it on pretty much everything lately. They put fresh halepenio in there and that really sets it apart from most of the sauces that are fermented/vinegar forward.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Yall should try this one - next time you're in Walmart go to the Asian section. It has a lot going on, been putting it on pretty much everything lately. They put fresh halepenio in there and that really sets it apart from most of the sauces that are fermented/vinegar forward.

I bet that is good. Has the famous Korean red chili paste Gochujang as it's base plus a ton of other ingredients.

It's almost unfair to compare sauces like this to basic pepper, vinegar, salt combos. They're a different animal.

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
Because of GERD, heinz ketchup is as strong as I can handle. Never been able to not hurt from any amount of scoville ratings.

BELdog

Aug 23, 2012
Cholula is probably my favorite all around hot sauce, but Louisiana Double Barrel is good stuff. Aged in bourbon barrels for some added flavor. Picked it up at Kroger in Starkville.

VegasDawg13

Jun 11, 2007
But I pity y’all who have to put it in chicken and dumplings. Maybe one day you can have some good chicken and dumplings.
What does this mean? That good chicken and dumplings should already be spicy or that good C&D doesn't need to be spicy?

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login