OT: How do you truly beat these inflation/sky-rocketing costs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I don't want Trump but if you would like to recommend a viable alternative (Rep or Dem) I'm all ears.
Literally anybody who is not Trump would be better than Trump. It's hard to believe that he is even in the conversation given all that he has done. Very sad indictment about the state of our current political system.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Only fans

chris farley dancing GIF

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
Unfortunately stimulus checks had to be cut because Fauci and the govt decided to shut everything down. That isn't happening again. And I do not say this in support of trump. I think the dude is a complete clown
I hear you, but it’s a once-a-century pandemic. We don’t really have much of a playbook. I hear Republican candidates criticize Trump for the shutdowns - that seems pretty hollow to me.

Also, a lot of our inflationary pressures came from outside of the US. If China locks down again, we would see supply shortages driving up prices again. Same with Russia. If they decide to start bombing Poland this afternoon - it’s going to suck for the American economy.

Reactions: dorndawg

hatfieldms

Feb 20, 2008
I hear you, but it’s a once-a-century pandemic. We don’t really have much of a playbook. I hear Republican candidates criticize Trump for the shutdowns - that seems pretty hollow to me.

Also, a lot of our inflationary pressures came from outside of the US. If China locks down again, we would see supply shortages driving up prices again. Same with Russia. If they decide to start bombing Poland this afternoon - it’s going to suck for the American economy.
You sound like you agree. And if so why even retort with "so you can watch Trump cut stimulus checks again?"

It is almost like you are blaming him for it and said he would do it again, yet admitted that he had to do it

Johnnie Come Lately

Nov 4, 2022
Literally anybody who is not Trump would be better than Trump. It's hard to believe that he is even in the conversation given all that he has done. Very sad indictment about the state of our current political system.
I can't decide what is worse - the fact that Trump is still in consideration, let alone leading the polls OR the fact that Republican Party can't muster up a candidate that can make Trump irrelevant.

The only rationalization that I can come up with for him still being around is that GOP has run off a large contingent of educated and rational voters.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Anyone have any good metrics on cost of living over the years per square foot and median square footage? No doubt the average American dedicates more of their paycheck to housing than in decades past giving us the squeeze on everything else and making it hurt when you have periods of inflation (for whatever reason the cause).

Is some or most of that self inflected with our American ideals that seem to value space and home size? In other words, did we make ourselves house poor? Feels like it could be the case but I've never really looked at the data from that perspective.

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004
trucking is in the dumper according to my trucking customers that I work with
It’s currently a bloodbath. My insurance renewals come up in 2 weeks, and I’m not sure whether to risk it getting better, or close the doors before it gets any worse.

turkish

Aug 22, 2012
When energy is expensive, things go up.
Friend, you ain’t seen nothing yet! And I mean this as apolitically as it can be said.

Just wait until the petrochemical industry really starts implementing low carbon initiatives. The energy intensiveness will go up bigly, just to capture the carbon. I fear for what things will look like in 10 years. I truly don’t know how society will pay for anything. Surely subsidies hide things, but someone has to pay for that too.

Reactions: NashLA

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
I think cheap and easy credit is the biggest driver of the increase in auto prices. Think about how many people base the affordability of a vehicle on the amount of the monthly payment. Low interest rates and the advent of 72, 84, and beyond loan terms on a car loan make a more expensive car more affordable.
Credit card companies offering more credit than people can repay aren't helping things either.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Friend, you ain’t seen nothing yet! And I mean this as apolitically as it can be said.

Just wait until the petrochemical industry really starts implementing low carbon initiatives. The energy intensiveness will go up bigly, just to capture the carbon. I fear for what things will look like in 10 years. I truly don’t know how society will pay for anything. Surely subsidies hide things, but someone has to pay for that too.
The regs are going to be walked back. They have already started in Germany and the UK. The technology does not exist to implement what the climate religion zealots demand. The backlash has already started.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
I can't decide what is worse - the fact that Trump is still in consideration, let alone leading the polls OR the fact that Republican Party can't muster up a candidate that can make Trump irrelevant.

The only rationalization that I can come up with for him still being around is that GOP has run off a large contingent of educated and rational voters.
Wild isn't it? As it stands today we are going to decide between a strong man thug that will be more focused on retribution than running the executive and a man that might not know where he is at any given moment.

It'll be an election of who can lose fewer votes and whoever that is has a pretty solid shot at dying during their next term. Frail, old, and confused vs fat, old, and angry isn't a good choice for the political stability of the country. Surely the parties can do better? Do they even want to? Feels like some insane simulation that can't be real...

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
IMO, the cost of fuel is the big one. It's a cost that rolls downhill and impacts everything.

We need to ramp up our own petrol production to offset any short that is coming from the ME. Even if we can't produce it as cheaply as Saudi Arabia, at least it's money going directly back into US coffers.

Lastly, stop subsidizing the rest of the world's problems.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
That is correct for annual inflation from September 22 through August 23, but 3.7 is still high and I was pointing out that the recent numbers aren't moving in the right direction. Most recent 4 months show an annualized rate closer around 4.2%.

Not sure if my first post was clear, but the monthly numbers were .6%, .2%, .2%, .4%, .2%, and .3% going from August to April. I multiplied by 12 to get an approximate annual rate

ETA: All that to say, if you aren't increasing your income on a monthly basis also, it's not going to feel like inflation is under control. If this were the start of the inflation, 3.7% would make people notice but it wouldn't be that painful for most. But 3.7% on top of what we've already had feels a lot worse because any cushion they had has been wiped out for a lot of people.
People see inflation at 7% last year and 3.7% this year and buy what the current party is telling them about "bringing inflation down."

Inflation is not down. It's a compound statistic. It's 3.7% higher than the highs of last year. And real inflation is much higher than the 3.7 we're seeing reported.

Reactions: Turd Fergusondawg

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012

Nobody with a brain is criticizing anyone for the shutdowns. We were in a real fog-of-war moment. Now, many chose to quickly reopen once more info was available. Those who didn't are deserving of the ridicule they get now.

NWADawg

May 4, 2016

I think people are just ready to vote for anyone who is not a lifelong politician and says bite me to those that are. I think if Elon or other proven business men ran for president, people would rally behind him just as much. Is there any evidence that he would be a great president, no. Does it matter, no. I think most would risk a lot just to get anyone who has not been part of the system.

I will say this for Trump. He loves him some Trump and is all about Trump. But, when he does stuff to help his own businesses, other businesses get helped as a side effect.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
My guess is spending will slow this winter. Lots of people have been running up their CC’s. The amount of CC debt has skyrocketed the past year. Student loan payments are finally back.time in fantasy land is over. Reality is coming/here

Gas price increases are OPEC orchestrated as someone mentioned previously. Housing will keep going. Even though buying now really sucks we still don’t have enough of it.

I hope this will normalize after a dip this winter, but honestly who knows.

ETA: I realized I rambled and didn’t answer your question. I’m keeping my 10 year old car, eliminating as much debt as I can to save interest payments, not getting any new debt whatsoever, meal prepping to keep from going to restaurants as much and looking for any subscriptions I can eliminate to save money, then use the cashflow to eliminate debt.
The CCs are scary but I worry about HELOCs
Lot’s of homeowners have seen a significant growth in their equity and I’m sure lots of them used it for HELOCs. So you’ve got homeowners that are potentially paying higher property taxes and insurance because of property values, Higher energy costs on their homes, and higher HELOC rates. Don’t want to be Michael Burry but it’s a little worrisome.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Anyone have any good metrics on cost of living over the years per square foot and median square footage? No doubt the average American dedicates more of their paycheck to housing than in decades past giving us the squeeze on everything else and making it hurt when you have periods of inflation (for whatever reason the cause).

Is some or most of that self inflected with our American ideals that seem to value space and home size? In other words, did we make ourselves house poor? Feels like it could be the case but I've never really looked at the data from that perspective.
The big boom in exploding home sizes really took place in the 90's and early 00's. Most of the costs since then revolve around regulation, dwindling labor force, and urban/suburbanization.

That said... our standards for home sizes are stupid. We should all reset those expectations tbh. It's the only immediate solution to making housing more affordable. Been through this exercise myself.

I have owned 4 houses in the last 10 years. Here they are:

#1 1600sf no kids
#2 2300sf 1toddler/1 infant
#3 3400sf 1 little guy/1 toddler
#4 1350sf 1 big kid/1little guy

We have never been happier. Have a guest room and everything. We have had several families and groups of friends come stay for a week or more in our little house over the past few years. My wife works from home and has a dedicated office space and my kids have a big play/game/TV area.

Smart design and large outdoor living areas are the key to make our small house feel plenty big.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
IMO, the cost of fuel is the big one. It's a cost that rolls downhill and impacts everything.

We need to ramp up our own petrol production to offset any short that is coming from the ME. Even if we can't produce it as cheaply as Saudi Arabia, at least it's money going directly back into US coffers.

It's going back to pre-Covid levels. Domestic production is a funny topic bc the republicans want to make it sound like Biden crushed production and that was the cause for increased prices. Democrats don't want to push back on that narrative bc then they sound like they don't care about the environment. It's a little sad a little hilarious. Same with immigration. There is a great deal of Biden policy that mirrors Trump. Neither party likes to admit that bc damnit we have an image to uphold and tribes that need to win politics instead of just acknowledging problems and fixing them. I guess tribal politics pays better...

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Wild isn't it? As it stands today we are going to decide between a strong man thug that will be more focused on retribution than running the executive and a man that might not know where he is at any given moment.

It'll be an election of who can lose fewer votes and whoever that is has a pretty solid shot at dying during their next term. Frail, old, and confused vs fat, old, and angry isn't a good choice for the political stability of the country. Surely the parties can do better? Do they even want to? Feels like some insane simulation that can't be real...
It’s pathetic, it really is. Like an old, fat married couple that would rather spend their days finding the wrong in each other rather than lifting a finger to better themselves. Problem is… we’re talking about the folks that run our country, not some trailer park trash

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
It's going back to pre-Covid levels. Domestic production is a funny topic bc the republicans want to make it sound like Biden crushed production and that was the cause for increased prices. Democrats don't want to push back on that narrative bc then they sound like they don't care about the environment. It's a little sad a little hilarious. Same with immigration. There is a great deal of Biden policy that mirrors Trump. Neither party likes to admit that bc damnit we have an image to uphold and tribes that need to win politics instead of just acknowledging problems and fixing them. I guess tribal politics pays better...

Saying that Biden's immigration policy mirror's Trump's is a special level of gaslighting. Even glfr doesn't make arguments THAT dishonest.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
The CCs are scary but I worry about HELOCs
Lot’s of homeowners have seen a significant growth in their equity and I’m sure lots of them used it for HELOCs. So you’ve got homeowners that are potentially paying higher property taxes and insurance because of property values, Higher energy costs on their homes, and higher HELOC rates. Don’t want to be Michael Burry but it’s a little worrisome.
For real, seems like everybody I know has one, and especially if they did any home repairs. I myself got one with an ARM 10 years ago, and the bank REALLY put effort into getting me to keep it open. Luckily I didn't, and haven't had one since. It's like people can't stop. Even people who bought their houses in 2010-2012, who should be doing awesome right now as far as equity, are still leveraged due to upgrades they financed through a HELOC.

7Dust

Sep 1, 2023
When energy is expensive, things go up. There is one of the parties that thinks energy should be expensive and we shouldn't drill for more of it to make it cheaper. And some of y'all continue to vote for that party that used to act as if they are for working folks.
Energy expensive is just nuts right now!!I'm $60 more each month for the last few months than I was the same months last year and I used less energy this year than last...how does someone explain that?Energy,Car,Gas,Food,Housing is badly ...badly...badly out of whack...I have no idea how folks are making it that live month to month...I don't see how they are making... and that's a high number of Americans who live that way.

Last edited:

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
FNMA has begun to accept 3D printed homes now.
The big boom in exploding home sizes really took place in the 90's and early 00's. Most of the costs since then revolve around regulation, dwindling labor force, and urban/suburbanization.

That said... our standards for home sizes are stupid. We should all reset those expectations tbh. It's the only immediate solution to making housing more affordable. Been through this exercise myself.

I have owned 4 houses in the last 10 years. Here they are:

#1 1600sf no kids
#2 2300sf 1toddler/1 infant
#3 3400sf 1 little guy/1 toddler
#4 1350sf 1 big kid/1little guy

We have never been happier. Have a guest room and everything. We have had several families and groups of friends come stay for a week or more in our little house over the past few years. My wife works from home and has a dedicated office space and my kids have a big play/game/TV area.

Smart design and large outdoor living areas are the key to make our small house feel plenty big.
Home sizes are about to see a significant decrease. Hell, FNMA is allowing 3D printed homes now (generally 2000sq ft or less). The average home purchase is $450K and median $/sq ft is $195. Around here, people are turning Tuffy sheds into tiny homes and banks are lending on them too. Home lending is at mid-90s levels now (crazy low) and that's tough with a massive housing shortage. Shizt about to get crazy in that sector.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I’m not a Trump fan by any means. I personally think that he is a despicable human being but I think history has shown that his fiscal policies were deemed favorable by the market. I’ve been a saver since soon after I entered the workforce and while I’m no expert I probably know my way around the stock market better than the average person. I made 2-3 times as much money during Trumps four years than I did 8 years of Bush and 8 years of Obama combined and now Biden has robbed me of about 50% of my Trump gains. I wish Trump would have stayed out of this election and I won’t vote for him in the primary but I’m afraid he will get my vote in November because I can’t vote for Demento.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
For real, seems like everybody I know has one, and especially if they did any home repairs. I myself got one with an ARM 10 years ago, and the bank REALLY put effort into getting me to keep it open. Luckily I didn't, and haven't had one since. It's like people can't stop. Even people who bought their houses in 2010-2012, who should be doing awesome right now as far as equity, are still leveraged due to upgrades they financed through a HELOC.
I don’t think HELOC’s are that bad of an idea as long as you don’t use it unnecessarily but that’s not the norm.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
I’m not a Trump fan by any means. I personally think that he is a despicable human being but I think history has shown that his fiscal policies were deemed favorable by the market. I’ve been a saver since soon after I entered the workforce and while I’m no expert I probably know my way around the stock market better than the average person. I made 2-3 times as much money during Trumps four years than I did 8 years of Bush and 8 years of Obama combined and now Biden has robbed me of about 50% of my Trump gains. I wish Trump would have stayed out of this election and I won’t vote for him in the primary but I’m afraid he will get my vote in November because I can’t vote for Demento.
You obviously could have made individual stock choices that makes all your statements correct, but S&P 500 performance doesn't back you up

1695752055737.png

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

In a global economy, you simply cannot be strictly nationalistic and expect it to be best for your country. I don't know what the balance is, but keep in mind that we had a large contingent of nationalists who were completely opposed to us entering WWII. Had we not, there'd be a lot more German being spoken in the world today. A lot of our political issues are due to myopathy on the part of a public who demands that things get better, for them, NOW and a political machine that is dedicated to providing that public with the impression that they actually care and are going to do just that.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Nobody with a brain is criticizing anyone for the shutdowns. We were in a real fog-of-war moment. Now, many chose to quickly reopen once more info was available. Those who didn't are deserving of the ridicule they get now.
What about riding in my car alone with a mask? Are we past that need?***

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
In a global economy, you simply cannot be strictly nationalistic and expect it to be best for your country. I don't know what the balance is, but keep in mind that we had a large contingent of nationalists who were completely opposed to us entering WWII. Had we not, there'd be a lot more German being spoken in the world today. A lot of our political issues are due to myopathy on the part of a public who demands that things get better, for them, NOW and a political machine that is dedicated to providing that public with the impression that they actually care and are going to do just that.
The balance is simple. Stop/slow down foreign aid when your own economy is stumbling. I know that's an oversimplification, but the mere creation of this thread is enough of an indicator for me.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
I kept thinking prices would return to reasonability about 3 years after the COVID shutdowns, but they haven't yet.
The 2020s will be an inflationary decade. Even if we have brief deflationary periods (including recession), inflation is here for years to come.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
I'm sorry that your ridiculously stupid take wasn't left unchecked. I hope you're okay.
Start with asylum policies. Very similar after 42 expired. So much so the ACLU is suing Biden admin bc there's really not much difference from 42. You're welcome to actually check instead of getting the vapors. I can give you some differences as well if that will calm your feels a bit.

• Sad
Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
You obviously could have made individual stock choices that makes all your statements correct, but S&P 500 performance doesn't back you up

View attachment 412545

Please don't think that all the graphs in the world are gonna convince me that the stock market is largely unaffected by the sitting president. As sure as Fauci shut down the country, and this new guys is trying to shut down beer production, Biden has been twisting on the 'ole stock knob.***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login