OT: Hugo hit 35 years ago…Sept 22

Myrtlecock

Joined Nov 30, 1998
Jan 23, 2022
Left Conway that morning to take my grandmother to Stone mountain Georgia for my cousin's wedding. I-20 between Florence and Columbia was a scene from a post-apocalyptic fantasy movie. Giant trees were scattered like toothpicks on the kitchen floor in the area where the eyewall crossed on its way to North Carolina. I drove my Ford Taurus over around and through the median and shoulders of the highway to get through. I was out of gas and decided to park in Columbia to figure out what to do because the stations had no power. Rounded a building to find a convenience store with power and gas. Waited in line to fill up and made it to my aunt's before dark.

Evilchicken

Mar 25, 2022
My family moved to Columbia in 1990 and Hugo was still on people’s minds a year later. You could tell it took a massive emotional toll on South Carolinians.

Reactions: CWW

ScWildthing61

Jan 23, 2022
I was 4 years old and my parents, 2 of my older sisters, my older brother and I had just moved into a 2 story house in Walterboro(my mom and dad had moved the family there about a year and a half before I was born) maybe 2 months before Hugo hit. This was the first time I got a bedroom all to myself, and that night I remember the lightning, thunder, and wind and for the next couple of years when it would storm at night, I insisted on sleeping on the floor in my parents bedroom.

Sep 12, 2022
Lived in Charlotte at the time. At first, the power was on & off causing my answering machine (remember those??) to run its cycle, with each interruption.

Chain saws in the daylight, power generators at night for 14 days 7 hours. Supermarket areas were rank with the aroma of spoiled ice cream, & milk and rotting meat.

No cell phones then. No communication with HOME OFFICE ... LOL!!!

The first 2 days .... IT WAS FUN!!! Neighborhood B-B-Q cook-outs!!! Day 3 to 10???? Survival!!! Toilet Paper = $3/roll. Peanut Butter = $7/ jar! Why sell a COLD shower for $5 when you could get $12???

Susie CREAMCHEESE, who lived across the street and got power back, the day before was almost lynched when she came tip-toeing by, asking ... " I Just Got My Power Back On!!!"

HI Cock1

Joined Oct 14, 2012
Jan 22, 2022
I was a Freshman living at Whaley's Mill. Swam in the pool that night - even though it was closed. Pretty much dumb, 18-year-old stupidity.

The girl next to me in Econ lived on the battery. Her house was destroyed. She was too good for me, but I tried to get a date with her. Big fail.