OT- I’m really starting to have a bone to pick with the food service industry

Chesusdog

May 2, 2006
I've always preferred tipping in cash so the servers have an option of not reporting it. I'm all about funding the government but I don't think servers should have to be taxed on their tips as they are generally below average in income compared to the rest of the workforce.

This is the way. All the years I waited tables I always reported 0% cash because why the fucklenuck would you?

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
Unless they take my order, bring my food and check, refill my drink, and everthing short of wiping my butthole, I aint tipping. I don't care they think they are an artist.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
Food costs are a hodgepodge now certain items on the way down in price while others are still off the charts. Anything that’s baked (or just uses eggs) is really inflated because of the price of eggs. Many of the meats have come down from their highs.

Biggest issue is still fuel costs and the cost to package and process (the middle man).

Diesel prices have come down but it’s been a slow burn and much slower than gas prices so that is really putting a wrench in helping with food inflation.

View attachment 276584
What does the chart look like from Nov 2020 to Nov 2022?

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
If you're luck is like mine lately - there's about a 75% chance your order is going to be wrong.

My wife and kids went to eat at a new local restaurant last night (opened 5-6 weeks ago) and picked me up something to go. 4 meals + one appetizer. Her meal and both kids meals were wrong. They completely forgot about the appetizer so she just got it to go with my meal.

It's gotten so bad that I simply refuse to eat at over half the places in Tupelo.
Then you better not go to your local KFC. They are the worst on getting orders correct.

Reactions: Seinfeld and kired

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Food costs are a hodgepodge now certain items on the way down in price while others are still off the charts. Anything that’s baked (or just uses eggs) is really inflated because of the price of eggs. Many of the meats have come down from their highs.

Biggest issue is still fuel costs and the cost to package and process (the middle man).

Diesel prices have come down but it’s been a slow burn and much slower than gas prices so that is really putting a wrench in helping with food inflation.

View attachment 276584
Eggs had been under $1 for a long time pre-2022. Wife paid $3.79 for a dozen at Aldi this morning. Sour cream used to fluctuate around $0.85, paid $1.79 today. We’re considering buying chickens and a cow.

graphicBYdesign

Aug 22, 2012
I always leave a tip and will leave a really good one if the service is great. I cannot stand the idea of tipping before I've been served. It's either tip for what might be ****** service or don't tip and the people making your food don't give a 17 about you because you aren't paying them.

Also wanting a tip at the beer stands in Davis Wade is a joke. Those people don't do anything. But stand there and look at an ipad.
I've been told by the workers in Davis Wade that they don't get the tips left on the iPad's. They don't know for sure who does.

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
A metaphor for the recent budget busting price increases in this country is one of the little Dutch boy with his finger in the dyke.
The minute he pulled his finger out, the hole grew exponential until the dyke broke. In reality, greed is the driving force behind "demand" for goods and services and greed is good up to a certain point but without societal forces to control it, it quickly gets out of hand. That is where we are now. You can thank China for kick starting this fiasco of pricing because of COVID.

Reactions: J-Dawg

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
This is why I only rarely go through a drive through at any restaurant. And I NEVER (under any circumstances) get in a drive-thru lane with more than one car in front of me.

99% of the time, I park my car, walk inside the restaurant, and place my order with a human being.

Often, I'm in and out in 5 minutes.
Hello there kindred spirit, I haven't driven in a fast food drive thru in I would guess 20 years or more. Between bad quality small speakers and employees that don't speak decent English I just won't do it. Matter of fact I will seldom even do fast food at all. I'll go in Subway occasionally but really just don't like dealing w/ fast food restaurants at all

Chesusdog

May 2, 2006
I've been told by the workers in Davis Wade that they don't get the tips left on the iPad's. They don't know for sure who does.
And this contributes greatly to my distrust. It's one thing to ask me to tip for drip goddamn coffee. It's a whole other thing if the drones aren't even getting their cut.

• Haha
Reactions: Perd Hapley

goindhoo

Feb 29, 2008
Alot of places (not just food places) are now requiring the customer to pay the fees of credit cards. I understand that. If you bill is $20, then they pay a $3 dollar fee, You paid the $20, they go $17 for you to be able to swipe rather than pay cash.

If they sold 300 of those per day, that's about $52K per year loss. Many businesses do not have a large margin either. So I get that.

Forcing people to tip is crap! If I see that they have put that in, I will ask for it to be removed. Yes there are places that put it in automatically. If they don't remove it, I tell them that we will never be back.
Credit card fees are 3%. 3% of $20 is $0.60.

Reactions: PhredPhantom

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
If you're luck is like mine lately - there's about a 75% chance your order is going to be wrong.

My wife and kids went to eat at a new local restaurant last night (opened 5-6 weeks ago) and picked me up something to go. 4 meals + one appetizer. Her meal and both kids meals were wrong. They completely forgot about the appetizer so she just got it to go with my meal.

It's gotten so bad that I simply refuse to eat at over half the places in Tupelo.
We went to the Cracker Barrel (just off I-565 in Madison) for the Friday night fish fry. A few mnutes after we ordered, the waitress came back out and told us they didn't have any fish. This was mid-afternoon, so they still had the evening left to go. Must've been a "supply chain" issue.

Reactions: TaleofTwoDogs

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
Went through Wendy's drive thru yesterday on the way home from work. They put cones out blocking one of the two ordering lanes, so 4 cars in front of me all in one lane. And it's moving slooooooooow. Finally at the speakerbox, ordered a #4 with drink, #7 with different drink, plus kids meal and a chili. Lady doesn't repeat anything, just gives me a total that sounds way less than it should be. I ask if she heard everything, and she says "pull forward". I get to the window and she just sticks her hand out and repeats the total. I ask her to repeat my order and she lists off about half of it and it's wrong. I ask if she got my order confused with someone else's, she says no. I repeat what I wanted and she says "I don't have that order". So I say "well this is my order..." and I repeat it. She disappears into the store. 2-3 minutes later she returns and says "my manager won't let me change your order because we're too busy. If you want to cancel your order and go back through the drive-thru you can do that". I just left.
That's doesn't surprise me at all. One particular fast food restaurant in Memphis, I went by twice this fall. Both times, during lunch hour, "our computers are down. We can't take orders."

what a convenient.... I mean coincidence.

Last edited:

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
We went to the Cracker Barrel (just off I-565 in Madison) for the Friday night fish fry. A few mnutes after we ordered, the waitress came back out and told us they didn't have any fish. This was mid-afternoon, so they still had the evening left to go. Must've been a "supply chain" issue.
There's a time and a place for Cracker barrel, but why on earth would you go there for catfish on a Friday anywhere in the South?

kired

Aug 22, 2008
Eggs had been under $1 for a long time pre-2022. Wife paid $3.79 for a dozen at Aldi this morning. Sour cream used to fluctuate around $0.85, paid $1.79 today. We’re considering buying chickens and a cow.
The strange thing with eggs, the generic white eggs were $1 for a long time. But we're fancy & like splurge on our eggs - so I get the brown eggs, egglands best, or whatever. They were always $3-$4.

Today those generic white eggs are $3-$4 but the brown / egglands best eggs are still only ~$4.

Reactions: mstateglfr

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
This is the way. All the years I waited tables I always reported 0% cash because why the fucklenuck would you?
Keep in mind though mortgage lenders will only give you credit for reported income which can make it difficult to qualify for a new home.

Puppers

Oct 1, 2022
The strange thing with eggs, the generic white eggs were $1 for a long time. But we're fancy & like splurge on our eggs - so I get the brown eggs, egglands best, or whatever. They were always $3-$4.

Today those generic white eggs are $3-$4 but the brown / egglands best eggs are still only ~$4.
Brown Eggs are the best marketing ever.

My MIL will only buy/eat brown eggs and will not believe me when I tell her that the color of the shell is dependent on the type of chicken not the quality of it's diet or living conditions.

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
Let's not forget all the other opportunities for employment that opened during the pandemic, Uber, Lyft, Door Dash, Waitr, all these gave those unemployed food service workers another avenue for a paycheck AND they could be their own boss. All you need is reliable transportation, minimal insurance and a desire to work. You can set your own hours and you are your own boss. With companies like Walmart, Walgreens, First Ace and others starting to offer home delivery services that little segment of the market (local delivery) is wide open.

I've got a pair of customers who have 6-8 side hussles. Zero regular full time gig. They enjoy not being clean, sober, and dressed. They do like filling out all the paperwork for grants, loans, etc for their side ventures. They have little to no customers from what I can tell. I know that doesn't represent everyone not filling a normal position, but I have a suspicion that it's a lot.

hatfieldms

Feb 20, 2008
Our catfish line that we have right now is filling distributor orders at about a 40% clip at the moment. The company is actually starting to go the robot route in their plant becasue they cannot get people to work. Cracker Barrel wasn't purposely keeping fried fish from you.

A lot of the major catfish lines have been dealing with this for awhile now. It is brutal

hdogg

Nov 21, 2014
I stopped tipping at the register after several experiences of wrong orders, or waiting 20 minutes for simple orders while watching people get served who came in after me. This is why we tipped AFTER a meal for the previous history of tipping... To Insure Promptness.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
First off, I get it. It’s a tough industry that I spent many years in, and I pretty much did it all. Hosting, room service, waiting tables, washing dishes, cooking, all of it. So I hate the cheap skate tippers as much as the next guy

That said, has anyone else noticed that while inflation rates have been in the 7-8% range, menu prices have skyrocketed WAY more than that over the last couple years? Then, I’m in a local restaurant the other day, and as I’m taking my bill up to the register, I see a 3% service fee. After asking what that was for, I’m told it’s the unspoken fee they now charge for using a credit card. I’m irritated, but hey it’s $2.50 so whatever.

Finally, on the way to a movie last night at my kid’s school, we stop by subway to grab some sandwiches. To save time, I used the app to order ahead, and right before I get to the submit button, guess what I see? How much would you like to tip your sandwich artist? Options: 15%, 20%, or 25%?

so now what do you do? Pay it or else risk someone dropping who knows what into your sandwich? Again, it’s rough out there right now, and when someone provides a service to me or my family, I’m more than happy to be generous no matter what time of the year it is, but this is getting ridiculous. $50 for a family of four to run to Subway?

That’s all I’ve got
Some places ask if you’re paying with cash or card. That way you bypass any fees…. I’m totally on board with business passing the card fees along to the customer if they offer a cash option.

Aug 23, 2012
Alot of places (not just food places) are now requiring the customer to pay the fees of credit cards. I understand that. If you bill is $20, then they pay a $3 dollar fee, You paid the $20, they go $17 for you to be able to swipe rather than pay cash.

If they sold 300 of those per day, that's about $52K per year loss. Many businesses do not have a large margin either. So I get that.

Forcing people to tip is crap! If I see that they have put that in, I will ask for it to be removed. Yes there are places that put it in automatically. If they don't remove it, I tell them that we will never be back.
As was noted by Horchack above, the typical CC fee is 3-4%, not the 15% you use. the equation is markedly different using the correct data

Aug 23, 2012

As is correctly stated by Horshack above, the usual and customary CC charge is 3%-4%. When you use the correct figures, your computations are grossly off track

00Dawg

Nov 10, 2009
Whoa, what? I tipped our nearest concession stand guys comparatively liberally late in the season after it became obvious that:
1. Many of their coworkers from the first couple of games had stopped coming
2. They didn't close up shop early like said coworkers did
3. They were competent and borderline friendly

If they're not getting that money, I'll be stopping giving it.

Reactions: patdog

J-Dawg

Mar 4, 2009
I'm the same way, but I'd really just as soon *all* restaurants simply pay employees a fair wage and include it in the cost of the food. I just don't think it will ever happen here; we have too many entitled folks who demand to be treated obsequiously. This is the real reason Chikfila is so popular- there's a wide segment of folks who lap their brand of servility up.
I agree with you, but I'll add a devil's advocate point:

I'm not in the food/hospitality industry, but I am in a consulting industry. The old mantra "the customer is always right" still applies. We treat all clients as if they are royalty because at the end of the day, we want their money, bottom line. Our clients have many options to choose from in the service we provide, but we want them to choose us, and we will do anything within reason to make sure they keep paying us for the service. Why can't that mindset be applied to the food service industry? Like you said, Chicfila does it, and people lap it up. Rude worker at Burger King who can't even record an order right doesn't even have this cross his/her mind. Consumers have many options on where to take their hard earned dollars, so how does that make them entitled just to have the expectation of 1) having a correct order and 2) be treated with gratitude? It goes both ways.

I think you'll see that the highest rated/most successful restaurants are the ones that operate under "the customer is always right".

This obviously doesn't take into account logistical or inventory problems, just simply the hospitality part of the industry.

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
There's a time and a place for Cracker barrel, but why on earth would you go there for catfish on a Friday anywhere in the South?

Didn't say catfish. Just said fish. I believe it's actually haddock. Can't stand catfish - the one time I tried it it tasted like dirt.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Didn't say catfish. Just said fish. I believe it's actually haddock. Can't stand catfish - the one time I tried it it tasted like dirt.
He said catfish and what Hatfield said is legit. They can’t find enough people to work in the catfish processing plants.

Sounds like someone didn’t know how to cook catfish. It’s not my favorite but it certainly tastes better than dirt.

Brew_Dawg

Jun 29, 2018
What's the story on these electrical switches? There's been a Chikfila nearby closed for 3-4 months for a remodel, still hasn't reopened and the word is also they can't get the right electrical switch.

Switchgears currently have a 16 month lead time. It's driving our clients crazy on the architectural side between long lead times for things like that (HVAC units are just as insane) and permitting offices taking much much longer than usual vs. pre-Covid. It's to the point that we have to have everything engineered well before the design is finalized in order to get things ordered and shipped to the site on time. Hopefully with China relaxing some of it's Covid rules it starts to get back to normal soon.

OopsICroomedmypants

Sep 29, 2022
1. Inflation is a lot higher than 7-8%. That is fake news put out by the government
2. Food cost are extremely high.
3. Gas may be lower, but Diesel is not.
4. When you start getting heating bills later on you won’t have any money to go to the restaurant.
The inflation rate doesn’t include food and gas prices. Also only 62% of the workforce is working, but the unemployment rate is low and we had however many thousand new jobs created etc. etc. Smoke and mirrors. The real food inflation rate is probably over 40%.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Unfortunately I’ve simply quit eating out. Nobody’s fault, I get why prices are up, but I’ve been priced out. Personal choice.

UpTheMiddlex3Punt

May 28, 2007
For real. RocketDawg should have driven the extra ten minutes to Old Greenbrier for Catfish and Hush puppies.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
As is correctly stated by Horshack above, the usual and customary CC charge is 3%-4%. When you use the correct figures, your computations are grossly off track

Not really going to argue over "computations" I made the point that many places of businesses are no longer absorbing the cost of swiping anymore.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
I've always preferred tipping in cash so the servers have an option of not reporting it. I'm all about funding the government but I don't think servers should have to be taxed on their tips as they are generally below average in income compared to the rest of the workforce.
Why are you all about funding the government?

And if a food service person is “low income” they aren’t gonna get taxed a whole lot anyways whether they report tips or not.

TheStateUofMS

Dec 26, 2009
First off, I get it. It’s a tough industry that I spent many years in, and I pretty much did it all. Hosting, room service, waiting tables, washing dishes, cooking, all of it. So I hate the cheap skate tippers as much as the next guy

That said, has anyone else noticed that while inflation rates have been in the 7-8% range, menu prices have skyrocketed WAY more than that over the last couple years? Then, I’m in a local restaurant the other day, and as I’m taking my bill up to the register, I see a 3% service fee. After asking what that was for, I’m told it’s the unspoken fee they now charge for using a credit card. I’m irritated, but hey it’s $2.50 so whatever.

Finally, on the way to a movie last night at my kid’s school, we stop by subway to grab some sandwiches. To save time, I used the app to order ahead, and right before I get to the submit button, guess what I see? How much would you like to tip your sandwich artist? Options: 15%, 20%, or 25%?

so now what do you do? Pay it or else risk someone dropping who knows what into your sandwich? Again, it’s rough out there right now, and when someone provides a service to me or my family, I’m more than happy to be generous no matter what time of the year it is, but this is getting ridiculous. $50 for a family of four to run to Subway?

That’s all I’ve got
Looking at CPI at 7-8% and then thinking everything is only going to be up that amount just isn't how it works unfortunately.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Why are you all about funding the government?

And if a food service person is “low income” they aren’t gonna get taxed a whole lot anyways whether they report tips or not.
I realize we need funding for government in order to maintain a saffe and civil society but despite their low federal income taxes due to being on the lower end of the income scale, they still save money from SSI taxes and other payroll taxes.

graphicBYdesign

Aug 22, 2012
Whoa, what? I tipped our nearest concession stand guys comparatively liberally late in the season after it became obvious that:
1. Many of their coworkers from the first couple of games had stopped coming
2. They didn't close up shop early like said coworkers did
3. They were competent and borderline friendly

If they're not getting that money, I'll be stopping giving it.
At the last home game, the workers told us we didn’t need to tip because they didn’t get it. I was pretty pissed tbh. I’d tipped constantly at every sporting event, I’m done now though.

garddog

Dec 10, 2008
Credit card fees have gotten ridiculous for businesses. All the rewards are being funded by the fees that businesses pay. Every business is recouping that money, most just hide it in higher prices. No government agency will take a card without adding fees, so in my opinion all private businesses should do the same.

M R DAWGS

Apr 13, 2018
Our Current inflation is a product of our government overreacting to COVID In the form of free money given to “Most” everyone. Free money cannot equal earned money, hence inflation.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I'm the same way, but I'd really just as soon *all* restaurants simply pay employees a fair wage and include it in the cost of the food. I just don't think it will ever happen here; we have too many entitled folks who demand to be treated obsequiously. This is the real reason Chikfila is so popular- there's a wide segment of folks who lap their brand of servility up.

Which is how it is just about anywhere else in the civilized world. Go to Europe, Japan, etc. and the food service industry is like any other corporation. You make a living wage (even starting out), have insurance / benefits, etc. You can climb the ladder and manage your restaurant (or another) And none of that affects the prices of the food, as it is mostly the same as it is here.

The US and the West in general has turned the food service industry into a cut throat race to the bottom as to how you can provide the lowest cost, overprocessed food possible with the cheapest possible labor in order to cater to a “convenience eating” model. Its turned the food service industry into a dead end career path for all except for a select few. Premiums are now placed on things like high table turnover (even at nicer sit-down restaurants), minimal customer interaction, etc. Its all directly proportional to how much big corporations have penetrated into the food service culture in the US compared to elsewhere.

Reactions: dorndawg
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login