OT- I’m really starting to have a bone to pick with the food service industry

Jacknut

Sep 29, 2022
Our Current inflation is a product of our government overreacting to COVID In the form of free money given to “Most” everyone. Free money cannot equal earned money, hence inflation.
This! We have supply side inflation (too much money being printed), but we get punished by the Fed raising rates which affects demand side inflation.

MSUDOG24

Mar 31, 2021
At the last home game, the workers told us we didn’t need to tip because they didn’t get it. I was pretty pissed tbh. I’d tipped constantly at every sporting event, I’m done now though.
First time I saw and used the cashless system was at DNF a couple years ago and thought this is great thinking it would be like the tap and go systems most burger joints, CFA, etc. have and they really are trying to speed up concessions at the venues along with the grab and go redesigns. Nope. Here comes the tip screen (no conspiracy but I've honestly never had the no tip button work so I just hit 10, then 15, anything just to make the damn thing go through and I can leave). Then of course, wait for the signature screen. Seems like large sports venues are the perfect application for tap and go.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
At the last home game, the workers told us we didn’t need to tip because they didn’t get it. I was pretty pissed tbh. I’d tipped constantly at every sporting event, I’m done now though.
I’m guessing they probably have another employee screwing them bc that’s illegal.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
I'm the same way, but I'd really just as soon *all* restaurants simply pay employees a fair wage and include it in the cost of the food. I just don't think it will ever happen here; we have too many entitled folks who demand to be treated obsequiously. This is the real reason Chikfila is so popular- there's a wide segment of folks who lap their brand of servility up.
Hold on? Their brand of servility? Are you suggesting food “service” employees shouldn’t provide a “service”.

What is a fair wage to you?

You realize most restaurants work on the below model or close to it.
3 to 5 year payback period bc they are so risky
15% to 25% profit margins; net income compared to sales

Labor costs generally make up around 20%
cogs about 30 to 40 depending on the quality of food (fine dining vs fast food)
Overhead about 20%

There isn’t much more room for “fair” wages.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
This, and also you get treated like garbage by a huge number of people who expect to be treated like royalty and then leave a $2 tip on a full-service four top. Who on earth wants that when you can drive an amazon truck and clear $600 a week?
I’m willing to give you 10 to 1 odds that the people you are referring to tip way higher than the people you wine for continuously.

and the people in the restaurant working know this.

Reactions: WilCoDawg
Aug 23, 2012
Not really going to argue over "computations" I made the point that many places of businesses are no longer absorbing the cost of swiping anymore.
With your gross income figures calculated, the hypothetical diner would have a gross income of $2.16 million. I can't figure out what your basis is for the $52,000 CC loss. Using your basis of $3 per $20 check and 300 checks per day, the cost of CC would be $324,000

Using your basis 300 meals a day at $20, the credit card cost would be $64,800 using the 3% basis.

I would suspect many diners would like a $2,16 million gross.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Crock pot + rice cooker + pot roast and 1 cup of rice = dinner for at least five days. There are ways to beat this. Namely stop eating out.

This has been my decision. I just rarely enjoy eating food prepped by somebody else anymore.

It's so damn expensive compared to what it costs me to make it myself it just pisses me off.

We are going to have significantly fewer restaurants in the coming years.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
This has been my decision. I just rarely enjoy eating food prepped by somebody else anymore.

It's so damn expensive compared to what it costs me to make it myself it just pisses me off.

We are going to have significantly fewer restaurants in the coming years.
Nah, people will adjust. For one, the price of food will come back down. Labor, who knows. Menus will shift if they have to. Alcohol still has great margins for restaurants, maybe they'll start offering like the 2 for $20, with a 2 drink minimum. People still gotta eat, and it can't always be at home.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Nah, people will adjust. For one, the price of food will come back down. Labor, who knows. Menus will shift if they have to. Alcohol still has great margins for restaurants, maybe they'll start offering like the 2 for $20, with a 2 drink minimum. People still gotta eat, and it can't always be at home.

Sure things will have to change for some restaurants to stay viable, but I feel pretty strongly that we can't support the level of eating out we've gotten used to on the last 3 decades or so.

This is not going to be an economic blip. This is the beginning of paying for the last 50 years of ridiculous excess.

And don't hold your breathe on food prices dropping significantly. How often has that happened historically? Those who've lost money in that industry will be looking to recoup.

The Usual Suspect

Sep 1, 2011
It’s not just the food industry, service at hotels and many others that are wait staff intensive have issues. My wife and I went to my company’s Christmas party in downtown Houston last night. We got a room at one of the “best” hotels at almost $400/ night. We checked in and got to the room, it was unmade with previous guests leftovers there. I will say they made it right and upgraded us and free breakfast.

garddog

Dec 10, 2008
With your gross income figures calculated, the hypothetical diner would have a gross income of $2.16 million. I can't figure out what your basis is for the $52,000 CC loss. Using your basis of $3 per $20 check and 300 checks per day, the cost of CC would be $324,000

Using your basis 300 meals a day at $20, the credit card cost would be $64,800 using the 3% basis.

I would suspect many diners would like a $2,16 million gross.
Real numbers on CC fees from my 10 years of owning a business are around $35.00 per 1k. There are cards that charge up to 5 and 6 %, debits can cost as low as 1% if run as debit. If used as a cc, no pin, they jump to around 2 %. The more rewards the higher the %. Airline cards and Amex are the worst.

Banks, which back CC's make most of their money from fees now, which the majority is generated by lower income persons and business fees.

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
Hold on? Their brand of servility? Are you suggesting food “service” employees shouldn’t provide a “service”.

What is a fair wage to you?

You realize most restaurants work on the below model or close to it.
3 to 5 year payback period bc they are so risky
15% to 25% profit margins; net income compared to sales

Labor costs generally make up around 20%
cogs about 30 to 40 depending on the quality of food (fine dining vs fast food)
Overhead about 20%

There isn’t much more room for “fair” wages.
Yeah, I hate those durn CFA employees always being the friendliest and courteous people! They should learn from other restaurants how to just be rude, sling food and drinks at people, and constantly get orders wrong from not taking pride in their job.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Real numbers on CC fees from my 10 years of owning a business are around $35.00 per 1k. There are cards that charge up to 5 and 6 %, debits can cost as low as 1% if run as debit. If used as a cc, no pin, they jump to around 2 %. The more rewards the higher the %. Airline cards and Amex are the worst.

Banks, which back CC's make most of their money from fees now, which the majority is generated by lower income persons and business fees.

My understanding is AmEx charges the most, which is why so many merchants don’t accept them. Although that’s gotten better in recent years.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
Other than Hucks Restaurant here in Columbus, I can’t tell you the last time we went to a restaurant, any restaurant, and got prompt accurate service and exactly what we ordered. It’s happened so much were just happy if they bring us anything at all. Their little credit card app starts with an 18 percent tip and works it’s way up from there no matter how poor they did. Kind of awkward to go the custom tip route with the server who ignored you the whole time now ironically standing there waiting for you to fill it out. We eat at home much more than we used too now days.

Reactions: She Mate Me

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Yeah, I hate those durn CFA employees always being the friendliest and courteous people! They should learn from other restaurants how to just be rude, sling food and drinks at people, and constantly get orders wrong from not taking pride in their job.
And coincidentally enough, I’m pretty sure cfa employees make more money than the rest.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login