OT: I think MDA does some pretty solid stuff. It's hard to believe we rank 50th?

Braves Dawg

Sep 16, 2009
I am interested to know what these towns are doing to prevent these companies from coming in. Is it just a rezoning block or what? Every town/county should have large scale development plans and codes that businesses must adhere to but that should be the main hurdle to overcome.

The planning commission and/or their board of alderman can squash anything if they want to.
It's at the CDF level in Tupelo/Lee County. That's why we are getting smoked by Lowndes County and the LINK.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
What are Georgia and Tennessee doing that other been-in-the-SEC-for-a-long-time states aren't?

Pars

Oct 11, 2015
Now these places need to limit the number of blood sucking Dollar Generals that come in

Those things are God awful for your local economy

Live in a county of about 35000

There are 10 DGs

Reactions: dorndawg

NWADawg

May 4, 2016
It's at the CDF level in Tupelo/Lee County. That's why we are getting smoked by Lowndes County and the LINK.
Per google, it looks like the CDF functions like a chamber of commerce. Does the planning commission and city council blindly follow any recommendation of the CDF?

It is a slippery slope to legalities for a planning committee or city council to vote yes for business A and no for business B without some legit justification.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Per google, it looks like the CDF functions like a chamber of commerce. Does the planning commission and city council blindly follow any recommendation of the CDF?

It is a slippery slope to legalities for a planning committee or city council to vote yes for business A and no for business B without some legit justification.
Sound like they hold the power….

“Founded in 1948, CDF is the exclusive agency charged with providing chamber of commerce, economic development, and planning and property management services for Tupelo/Lee County, Mississippi.”

NWADawg

May 4, 2016
Sound like they hold the power….

“Founded in 1948, CDF is the exclusive agency charged with providing chamber of commerce, economic development, and planning and property management services for Tupelo/Lee County, Mississippi.”
Thanks for the info.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
MDA does do a decent job when considering that Mississippi is the Jerry’s Kids of the American Workforce.

Excited Excitement GIF by YUM KFC SouthAfrica

Reactions: Mr. Cook

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
What are Georgia and Tennessee doing that other been-in-the-SEC-for-a-long-time states aren't?
They have money. They have population. Their capitol cities aren’t third world countries governed by radical Islamists. Their Legislators aren’t out to fill their pockets first before making decisions that benefit their constituents.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
They (The people who put this together) chose the weighting of the categories to come up with the ranking. All these rankings have a human element in them. Someone is making the decisions on what method used to rank. They always have some ******** human bias imbedded. I don't put much stock in these. Business is going to go to where they want to go. Make the money and offer right they will come. That was my bias human ******** opinion.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Dollar General brought 6-8 jobs to your county to staff those 10 stores, and here you are complaining.
I'm not defending Dollar General but how measurably better would these rural places be without Dollar General and what are critics doing to fill a need that Dollar General stores meet?

Reactions: MSUDOG24

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Now if you can convince kids that trades are good options over the everyone should go to college mentality, we might have something.
The problem with this line of thought, is it takes a good work ethic to succeed in trades. And if you have a good work ethic, you can succeed in college if you're not bottom quartile dumb.

I think we should have Jucos give an associate degree in how to run your own trade business.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
This is surprising to me. I have worked with them before (although it was years ago) and they were awesome. I thought they were doing some good up there. Are you saying they are actively keeping certain industries/jobs out of town?

Reactions: kired

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I'm not defending Dollar General but how measurably better would these rural places be without Dollar General and what are critics doing to fill a need that Dollar General stores meet?
Exactly. Theres some DGs around us in some pretty rural communities that have nothing else that can provide anything remotely close to what DG offers.

Reactions: horshack.sixpack

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
They have money. They have population. Their capitol cities aren’t third world countries governed by radical Islamists. Their Legislators aren’t out to fill their pockets first before making decisions that benefit their constituents.
This does not jibe with my visits to those cities nor my experience with what I've seen from those legislatures. If anything the MS legislature is probably better, just more anti-capitol city than those states.

In my experience, their inner cities aren't any better than Jackson nor are thier rural areas better than ours (except for the delta). They just have more productive cities ($) and a lower ratio of rural area to city.

I wonder where we would rank without the delta? I'd guess 30-40.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
This does not jibe with my visits to those cities nor my experience with what I've seen from those legislatures. If anything the MS legislature is probably better, just more anti-capitol city than those states.

In my experience, their inner cities aren't any better than Jackson nor are thier rural areas better than ours (except for the delta). They just have more productive cities ($) and a lower ratio of rural area to city.

If you hacked off the Delta counties Mississippi might be top 30.

Pars

Oct 11, 2015
Dollar General brought 6-8 jobs to your county to staff those 10 stores, and here you are complaining.

How dare you besmirch the good corporate name of DG?????
Accusing them of understaffing??
You know those store look like that cause
“Don’t nobody wanna work no more”

Reactions: dorndawg

Pars

Oct 11, 2015

In your scenario that’s fine
In the one I listed there are 2-8 miles from one another and one of those is 6 miles from an independently owned grocery store.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
In your scenario that’s fine
In the one I listed there are 2-8 miles from one another and one of those is 6 miles from an independently owned grocery store.
My scenario is called reality and I didn't create it. Perhaps you can stand outside of the DG you're referring to and counsel shoppers to go to the independently owned grocery store 6 miles away. So, again, what are critics doing to fill a need that DG stores meet or are you saying opening independently owned grocery stores 6 miles away is the solution and that's the choice the rurals should be making? This sort of reminds of the anti-McDonald's attitudes in Europe. I've had some Euro's complain to me about them, but it's not American tourists keeping those places open and I'm not keeping DG's open either although the one where I go fishing actually has fresh fruits and veggies and pre-made and packaged salads.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

In my experience, their inner cities aren't any better than Jackson

Nitpicking, but I would say the ****** areas of their cities aren't any better than Jackson. I think most cities will probably have nicer areas in the city proper that are better insulated from crime than Belhaven, Fondren, and even Eastover. Most cities also have big city amenities, including walkable areas people want to live along with things that come with population with disposable income.

nor are thier rural areas better than ours (except for the delta). They just have more productive cities ($) and a lower ratio of rural area to city.

I don't it would move the needle that much. Certainly it would help, but we don't have many counties above the national median family income and I think what hurts us as much or more than having a large poor area is just simply missing areas with decent sized populations that are affluent. My guess is that it would put the 40ish range in play but that we wouldn't get near the better end of your range.

Napoleon378

Nov 14, 2023
They both have large desirable cities?

although I'd argue that nashville is getting overcrowded big time and atlanta is a bit of a hell hole in most parts but point remains that these two cities drive businesses and people to those states

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021
This is surprising to me. I have worked with them before (although it was years ago) and they were awesome. I thought they were doing some good up there. Are you saying they are actively keeping certain industries/jobs out of town?
I've worked with them on several different occasions over the years and they are first class. They have some clout too. I see the announcement made today but I'm guessing CDF is involved.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
Is it hard to believe like someone shooting a presidential candidate is hard to believe?***

Villagedawg

Nov 16, 2005
Post reconstruction, they embraced/accepted the new order (mostly) and acted accordingly (mostly). Mississippi and Alabama dug in their heels. Still fighting the same fight just different issues.

Anon1664516582

Sep 30, 2022
MDA is a joke as well as the damn ex director arrogant *** from the coast.

it’s best days were Fordice, Musgrove and Haley. Without Haley after Katrina Louisiana kicks our ***. He saved our State. I sat in on a mtging every morning at 630 and have NEVER seen MEMA AND FEMA get their *** handed to them in a minute by minute mark for an hour every day like they did…. More FEMA.

Haley sent in his Chief of Staff one morning and we had met previously at 530 an hour earlier with President Bush on satellite. It got ugly…. At 630. Every FEMA person that as at the 630 am mtging was out of Jackson and MS by 10 am on a military plane. They were in so over their heads.

if people actually saw what was accomplished during Katrina and the speed of which Nissan was built…. U would be proud…. And with Fordice aloes helping if he was on your ***. I saw grown men tear up with mtgings with him.

it was called LEADERSHIP. HAVENT SEEN IT SINCE. And that dumbass Phil Bryant should be in prison period.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Not that these are bad, but these are the jobs developed parts of the United States had in 1946.
Yea, but there wasn't much of a reason for many of those type things to be located in Mississippi. We definitely had more than our fair share of self-inflicted injuries, but we really did get a raw deal on natural resources and location. A little bit of oil and gas, rich farmland, no great ports, river towns on the Mississippi but no population to really make them any more desirable than other river towns north and south, not much in the way of deep rivers inside the state that you could take a six pack up and down consistently.

If we had had better leadership over the years, we'd certainly be better off, but I'm not sure we wouldn't be having a lot of the same types of discussions.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login