OT: If you’ve ever worked in a restaurant…

NawlBennyDawg

Jan 23, 2023
Also OT: Does anyone remember the bar Classics in Columbus? My dad worked there while he was in college. Neither of us have been to Columbus in Lord knows how long, what's there now?

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
So I've got a question about these new bar glass rinsers. Like, are these just for knocking some dust off of an already clean glass or are we seriously pretending that a little spray of water and soap(I hope) is going to completely cleanse the beer mug that was just downed by a 350 lb dude that just got back from 5 hours in a deer stand?
1699553766907.png

Reactions: dorndawg

aspendawg

Sep 10, 2009
Worked at Mugshots for almost 4 years (the original downtown location). That building was soooooo old and nasty... would catch cockroaches running across the bar all the time and rats were a big problem. Not to mention it was the early years of Mugshots so the owner was partying with us....so a lot of things happened in that kitchen and cooler during various off hours that were illegal and/or not permitted to happen on cooking surfaces and where food was handled/stored.

Also worked at Bravo in Jackson. The crawfish and andouille pasta and chicken fettucine alfredo are OBSCENE amounts of cream, cheese, butter and salt. They're tasty but once I saw them being made I could never eat it again.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Also OT: Does anyone remember the bar Classics in Columbus? My dad worked there while he was in college. Neither of us have been to Columbus in Lord knows how long, what's there now?
If I remember correctly from the late 80s/early 90s, it was downtown?

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
So I've got a question about these new bar glass rinsers. Like, are these just for knocking some dust off of an already clean glass or are we seriously pretending that a little spray of water and soap(I hope) is going to completely cleanse the beer mug that was just downed by a 350 lb dude that just got back from 5 hours in a deer stand?
View attachment 444644

dudehead

Jul 9, 2006
I thought Robin Fant started Bulldog Deli, back in about '82 or so? It was next to Sack N Save grocery in the building about where Rubys Liquor and Pet Sense are today? The guy that owned District Cafe back then always drove a golf cart around the District and wore a baseball hat every day, was that Bill Curry?
You may be right. I thought Bill had a good burger shop on University first and then opened the District around the corner and down the street near Dan Camp's office. I spent more time drinking at District than eating at the burger shop anyway. Maybe someone else will remember. But yes, you did describe him: small guy with little round glasses and always wore that cap. I also remember him occasionally driving an old long caddy as well.

Reactions: tenureplan
Sep 29, 2022
If you ever go there, do not eat the chicken. Please. Comes in a questionable plastic bag and tastes like a Goodyear tire if you don’t drown it with honey mustard or sweet chipotle sauce.
Man I used to love that rubber chicken. My buddy and roommate worked at the Bulldog Deli and we were always broke. We had a long-running plan where he would leave a big bag of those chicken breasts outside the back door before closing and then we'd go pick them up later that night and eat free microwaveable chicken breasts for weeks. We never did it though.

biodawg

Mar 3, 2008
… where was it and what is something that, if you go back and eat there, you can not eat anymore because you’ve seen how it’s made and it grosses you out (if the place still exists)?

I worked at McAlister’s Deli during my senior year of high school and all through college. If you ever go there, do not eat the chicken. Please. Comes in a questionable plastic bag and tastes like a Goodyear tire if you don’t drown it with honey mustard or sweet chipotle sauce. Everything else is fine. I also feel sorry for anyone that ordered tuna salad whenever they still had it years ago. We would go DAYS without anyone ordering it.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, even after eating it almost every time I took a break for almost 5 years, my go-to is still the Smoky Pepperjack Turkey on croissant or a Memphian. Peppers Deli is still so much better than McAlister’s though.

R.I.P. Bulldog Deli
I worked at the Veranda for about a year and a half as a cook when I was at State. Probably the most fun job I’ve ever had. The kitchen was always very clean and the guys and girls that I worked with up there were great folks.

NawlBennyDawg

Jan 23, 2023
Man I used to love that rubber chicken. My buddy and roommate worked at the Bulldog Deli and we were always broke. We had a long-running plan where he would leave a big bag of those chicken breasts outside the back door before closing and then we'd go pick them up later that night and eat free microwaveable chicken breasts for weeks. We never did it though.
We had someone steal an entire butt of black forest ham one time. They got fired, but McA just cut their loss with the ham. I know they had to have had enough ham to make ham sandwiches for the better part of a year.

NawlBennyDawg

Jan 23, 2023
I worked at the Veranda for about a year and a half as a cook when I was at State. Probably the most fun job I’ve ever had. The kitchen was always very clean and the guys and girls that I worked with up there were great folks.
Working a restaurant is all fun and games until you're by yourself around 3 p.m. and you hear someone in front of house say "BUS!"

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
You may be right. I thought Bill had a good burger shop on University first and then opened the District around the corner and down the street near Dan Camp's office. I spent more time drinking at District than eating at the burger shop anyway. Maybe someone else will remember. But yes, you did describe him: small guy with little round glasses and always wore that cap. I also remember him occasionally driving an old long caddy as well.
Bulldog Deli moved from the location by the grocery store to where Bulldog Burger is now I believe, maybe that's what you remember? Robin started it on 12 and then it moved, maybe he sold it to Bill? District was where you describe it, where Uno Mas is now and Stagger In originally was.

I notice nobody has claimed to have worked at Colemans House Of Death BBQ? I wouldn't admit it either if I was you......

Reactions: Darryl Steight

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Classix was in a shopping center on old 82 out in east Columbus. It was originally Bonnie and Clyde's and then Classix. Classix closed around 11 or 11:30 so we left there and went to the Club until it closed at around 1 am. Then is was off to the 45. Met my wife in Classix.

tenureplan

Dec 3, 2008
The District Cafe was originally attached to the hotel behind the burger King bank.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Sometimes we went to Tupelo instead and that trifecta consisted of Bogarts, JR's Lounge, and then Bars Ferry. Only lightweights closed down a single bar on Saturday nights!

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
just remembered I worked as a cook in one of the old Pizza Inn restaurants when I first was married and working three jobs to make ends meet. With the wife barely working one I should have figured things out quicker than I did.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
just remembered I worked as a cook in one of the old Pizza Inn restaurants when I first was married and working three jobs to make ends meet. With the wife barely working one I should have figured things out quicker than I did.
Sounds like she was pretty smart!

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

beachbumdawg

Nov 28, 2006
… where was it and what is something that, if you go back and eat there, you can not eat anymore because you’ve seen how it’s made and it grosses you out (if the place still exists)?

I worked at McAlister’s Deli during my senior year of high school and all through college. If you ever go there, do not eat the chicken. Please. Comes in a questionable plastic bag and tastes like a Goodyear tire if you don’t drown it with honey mustard or sweet chipotle sauce. Everything else is fine. I also feel sorry for anyone that ordered tuna salad whenever they still had it years ago. We would go DAYS without anyone ordering it.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, even after eating it almost every time I took a break for almost 5 years, my go-to is still the Smoky Pepperjack Turkey on croissant or a Memphian. Peppers Deli is still so much better than McAlister’s though.

R.I.P. Bulldog Deli
I worked at OVPC during my semesters not co-oping

I still make the crawfish rolls and Trausclaire Pasta dish as well as the bbq chicken pizza

beachbumdawg

Nov 28, 2006
Flos. Haven't made the cheese sticks in a minute
Fun fact - it burned down on my birthday and we ended going home for thanksgiving dinner

tenureplan

Dec 3, 2008
Fun fact - it burned down on my birthday and we ended going home for thanksgiving dinner

Rumor - safe was never found and Jim cashed out. I've always figured it was the butts we would smoke overnight. I left about 6 months prior though

Reactions: beachbumdawg

bolddogge

Aug 23, 2012
I haven't had one in over 30 years. I can't recall what all was on it. It was pretty much the only thing I would get there though. It was big and if you ever put it down once you got going on it, you'd never get it picked back up in one piece.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
View attachment 444644
Been pouring beer all night. Rinsing the glass helps cool down glasses that haven't chilled in the cooler and it helps cut down on excessive foaming.

UpTheMiddlex3Punt

May 28, 2007
What made up the Bulldog Deli Big Nasty? McAlister's also had a Big Nasty back in the day when I first started working there, it was an open roast beef sandwich on French bread with gravy and cheddar-jack cheese. All I remember is that my dad was a regular at Bulldog Deli back when he was in college, and he ordered the Big Nasty at McAlister's one day thinking it would be the same as Bulldog Deli's, and he was downright offended.
I'm but entirely sure about all the ingredients but I 100% remember that it had kielbasa on it.

Aug 31, 2012
Sometimes we went to Tupelo instead and that trifecta consisted of Bogarts, JR's Lounge, and then Bars Ferry. Only lightweights closed down a single bar on Saturday nights!

Bars ferry
Used to have to avoid Verona driving back to oleput. (Tupelo)

Jacknut

Sep 29, 2022
It was the District Cafe not the Cotton District cafe. I worked there in 97 it closed in 98. Big Jim, dont remember last name, and his wife owned it.
Jim and Kathy had the original Cotton District Grill (known as The District) that became Stagger Inn and whatever it may be called now. I "think" they moved to the bar in the hotel after I graduated, but the name was different and it had a boxing ring in the middle of it. My tenure at State was 85 - 89.

NWADawg

May 4, 2016
I worked at Quincy's - Home of the big fat yeast roll for several years in college. Also worked at Cheer's which served food but I would not call it a restaurant.

Reactions: Wesson Bulldog
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login