OT: If you’ve ever worked in a restaurant…

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
Jim and Kathy had the original Cotton District Grill (known as The District) that became Stagger Inn and whatever it may be called now. I "think" they moved to the bar in the hotel after I graduated, but the name was different and it had a boxing ring in the middle of it. My tenure at State was 85 - 89.
Sounds right, I think Jim opened District Cafe in the old University Inn about that time.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
Sometimes we went to Tupelo instead and that trifecta consisted of Bogarts, JR's Lounge, and then Bars Ferry. Only lightweights closed down a single bar on Saturday nights!
I don't remember the other two, but was Bogart's the bar inside the Ramada Inn on Gloster? Oldie but a goodie there.

Jul 8, 2007
I loved JC Garcias... consumed much alcohol in that place while listening to Bill Cook, Jeff & Jeff, Mike & Jeff, Mike & Ann, etc.

RIP Mike Adams*
It was an eclectic group of people I worked with in the late 80s, including Del Rendon and the guy that was the original suspect in the Labor Day murders in 1990. (He was innocent). Del was always singing while he worked. Good times.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I think they scrapped that and are opening in Taylor? Or are they going to have a limited opening in Greenwood and then also open up in Oxford?
My mom still lives there and said they would have a limited opening in Greenwood and open one in Taylor. She's 88 though and gets stuff mixed up, so take that for what its worth.

Reactions: johnson86-1

dudehead

Jul 9, 2006
Jim and Kathy had the original Cotton District Grill (known as The District) that became Stagger Inn and whatever it may be called now. I "think" they moved to the bar in the hotel after I graduated, but the name was different and it had a boxing ring in the middle of it. My tenure at State was 85 - 89.
Bill Curry's District Cafe during my years at State (81-85) was near Camp's office. I'm not familiar with a place attached to a hotel. I think Curry's bar was on Maxwell as best I can tell by looking at Google Maps, but the district looks a helluva lot different than when I lived there in the early 80s.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login